[UU] Birdie Power, Peaked #3, 1652 Rating

Hey! I'm 031ap (AP for short). Anyways, this is my first RMT. This team, I've been using for more than three months now, to ridiculous success. The time has come though, to retire it, seeing as in the last few weeks, my winning rate has dwindled significantly. So why not do it in style, with a fancy RMT?

INTRODUCTION

The original concept for this team came way back in August. I had been reading over the UU: Higher Ground Discussion Thread, and came to a post reflecting one of X-Act's old stat threads, which showed which types worked best in each tier. In UU, according to the poster, it was Fire, which got me thinking. Fire may have only been the best offensive type in UU, but was it the best offensive typing? In other words, X-Act's stats only took into account the type of move used, not the weaknesses and resistances of the Pokémon using, nor stats or anything else.

At this point, I posed a question to myself: If Fire wasn't the best, what was? The question dropped out of my mind for a while, but some days later, it suddenly hit me. Flying. Immunity to Ground, and good common resistances in Grass and Fighting (Bug, even now, is pretty rare. Just wait till Heracross drops down...). In addition, its weaknesses are easier to work around than the Fire type, or most other types, for that matter. The only hamper were those damn, Stealth Rocks.

Later that day, I sat down, cracked my knuckles, and set to making a team, whose steps through the metagame can be traced below, and the final version after that.

TEAM-BUILDING PROCESS

In UU, there were only so many Flying-types to abuse. But from the start, after playing around with the idea of a full Flying-team, I decided that this team was meant to abuse the metagame, not one to just have gimmicky fun with. Running down a list of UU Flying-types, I decided the only good ones that took the mickey out of the metagame, especially in a more offensively-oriented one, were:

Why these Pokémon? Each was a powerful Pokémon, able to muscle its way through the metagame without too much effort. Of the quartet, only Yanmega was dropped, because, coincidentally, it was at that exact time that it was named a suspect.

My next few Pokémon would have to provide good synergy with the rest of the team. Immediately, I began to think about what could counter these Pokémon easily, and what could counter those. Bulky Waters were a huge threat to me, it seemed, so I went for the unoriginal route and put in a Roserade.

From there, I decided that I needed a Spinner. Donphan was a neat choice, and I was eager to try it out for the first time, as everyone was always raving about it.

However, here, I hit an impasse on my final choice. Eventually, I playtested Yanmega, and found the team to be pretty damn awful. After going back to the drawing board, Yanmega was dropped again, and the extremely underwhelming Donphan was dropped, primarily because I could not run SR/EQ/Assurance/Ice Shard/Rapid Spin. Instead, I looked for two different Pokémon - a Spinner and a Rocker.

On a previous team, I had used Heysup's vaunted Roserade/Regirock duo to great success. Here, it made its return. For the spinner, I again delved into old teams, pulling out a Blastoise to round off the team.

The team reached decent success, getting me up to the Top 15 on the Leaderboard. When Roserade received the banhammer as well, an SD-3 attack Venusaur came in.

Then came the new round of UU testing. Dropping the team, I went through a variety of other teams, hoping for success, but to no avail. In a stroke of genius (or desperation, whichever you prefer), I returned to the old team, tweaked it some, and was amazed by how it rampaged through the new metagame and the reset leaderboard.

I rose all the way to #3, where a combination of lack of motivation, and an extremely low deviation forced me to stop. And hax, which was bloody awful. From there, at a peak of 1652, it slowly fell, and eventually came to retirement. I still play casually with it, however.

So, without further ado, I present to you the best team I have ever made, scourge of the metagame (I wish)...

BIRDIE POWER

Note: The team has a 'chess' theme of sorts, where I name each Pokémon after one of the six chess pieces, based on its (or her, only Regirock and Moltres are not female, for good reason) role on the team.

The Support

Rook (Regirock) @ Leftovers
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 204 HP/252 Atk/24 Spd/28 SDef
Adamant nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Stealth Rock
- Stone Edge
- Hammer Arm
- Explosion

Why this Pokémon?
At first glance, you may wonder, 'Why use Regirock, when you've got a far better option in Rhyperior sitting right there?' Well, I have several reasons. For starters, I'd prefer my Pokémon not to be high on crack. But all joking aside, Regirock has several notable advantages over its addict cousin. Firstly, the lack of a Ground typing, which allows Regirock to actually take Grass and Water hits if needed. Its higher Special Defense also pulls through here, and it doesn't have to flee at the slightest of attacks. Its other crucial advantage, however, is Explosion, which can immediately remove a threat to my team from the opposition, or allow Regirock to do big damage even as it goes down.

But that's simply why I use it over Rhyperior. But why do I use it, period? There isn't one answer. To begin with, I'm familiar with Regirock (as I am with the entire team, save Venusaur, and Blastoise to an extent), so I have a good idea of what it can do. Its foremost utility for the team is to set up SR, which tends to bring many threats just outside something's KO range into that range, possibly giving me game-changing momentum. Being able to use SR was my primary concern when looking for this spot - however, Regirock's resistances were what earned it a spot on the team, as well as good attack, and decent speed (Base 50 is among the fastest of the slow UU Pokémon). Donphan couldn't take Fire, Flying, or Normal Attacks, and Steelix was destroyed by a good fire move anyways. Why it was chosen over Rhyperior can be seen in the previous paragraph.

Why as a Lead?
I solely use Regirock as the lead because nothing else really can fit the role, without sacrificing some of my team's potential. In addition, it has the ability to take on most other leads, and win - there are a few exceptions, but they're far and few between.

How it fares against Common Leads:

- Hammer Arm right away, usually for a OHKO.
- Stone Edge right off the bat. I have good luck here in getting two hits in a row, and at worst, I'm Tricked. Proslass is OHKO'd.
- A pain at times. SR + Explosion is usually my preferred option, but DS versions can be bitches.
- Stealth Rock right away; they typically prefer to U-turn out. From there, I evaluate the set, and switch accordingly.
- Stone Edge. Usually OHKOs; if not, evaluate the set and go from there.
- Stone Edge usually KOs all variants. Toxic can be played around.
- Go straight to Moltres, then back to Regirock to determine set and existence of HP Rock.
- Either Stone Edge or Stealth Rock Turn 1, before going to either Blastoise or Venusaur.
- Stealth Rock on the Leech Seed, get Moltres in on the ensuing Protect.
- Stealth Rock Turn 1, and try to waste some rain with Hammer Arm.
- Venusaur, typically. Stealth Rock Turn 1 if I feel lucky.
- Stealth Rock as he does the same, and go to Venusaur on the Toxic. Blastoise takes Yawn variants.
- Go straight to Moltres. Do not pass go. Do not collect $200.
- Tricky, but easy. Swellow on the Taunt, U-turn to Moltres on the D-Bond, HP Grass, then Air Slash.

Why these moves?
Stealth Rock is an obvious choice, and its utility in this, or any, metagame is undeniable. Stone Edge is the obvious STAB attack, and with Max Attack, packs a heavy punch. Hammer Arm, a suggestion by Lemmiwinks, is a surprising choice over Earthquake, but I find it a better one, as it allows me to almost always KO Ambipom, something that could repeatedly come in on my team, and KO it, if I didn't run Hammer Arm. In addition, it hits Magneton, and is a solid option on low health Pokémon who I'd rather not miss with Stone Edge. The Pokémon I now miss out on are the likes of Nidoking, Blaziken, and Toxicroak - stuff I'd rather not stay in on to start with, and Explosion can stop them if necessary.

Why the EVs, Nature, and Item?
I like to play Regirock as a tank, as it's really outclassed if you try to go full offense or defense. 252 Attack + Adamant is to hit as hard as possible - this is an offensive team after all. The 24 Speed EVs may seem odd, but they allow me to get the jump on just about every Base 50 except Offensive Hitmontop, and Explode on them if needed. This particularly applies to Azumarill and Donphan, both who are extremely surprised at being outsped. I believe the HP EVs are to get maximum Leftovers recovery (Leftovers is ideal for a Tank like Regirock, who wants the longevity), with any stray EVs applied to Special Defense. Overall, I gain considerable bulk, but still retain the ability

Why the name?
Well, firstly, Rook couldn't really apply to anything else, especially when Regirock looks so much like one itself. I always see the rook as a straightforward power player, and that applies to Regirock as well - put up Rocks, hit pretty damn hard, take hits pretty well, and go boom. Not much to it.

Pawn (Venusaur) (F) @ Black Sludge
Ability: Overgrow
EVs: 124 HP/196 Atk/164 Spd/24 SAtk
Jolly nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
- Power Whip
- Earthquake
- Synthesis
- Sludge Bomb

Why this Pokémon?
Following the news of Roserade's upcoming banishment to the OU tier, I decided that I had to replace it with something else, preferably a Grass-type with good bulk to take any stray Ice Beams that Bulky Waters may fire off. At this time, Venusaur was a big fad with the Swords Dance moveset, so I slapped it on the team to take Roserade's place, primarily because of the identical typing. While this thing doesn't hit nearly as hard as Roserade, or be as good, it's still got its merits. Firstly, the typing. Grass was necessary to take on the bulky waters I'd otherwise have to sacrifice one of my Flyers to, whereas Poison gave me a good fighting resist and the ability to absorb Toxic Spikes, which would otherwise wear down my other two ground-based Pokémon quickly, and with the synergy of the team broken, I would be far more vulnerable than desired. Plus, the bulk was the tipping point, which made it the ideal choice over Leafeon and Sceptile, neither of whom could take an Ice Beam.

Why these moves?
Originally, when I first brought Venusaur to the team, before the HGSS move changes, I was running a SD + 3 attack set. However, following the new UU drop-ins, the metagame drastically changed. No longer could my offense be a good defense, with the new amount of threats Venusaur had to check as well - Raikou in particular. Power Whip is here as the hard-hitting STAB move, able to annihilate most Bulky Waters, and 2HKO the rest. Earthquake is a nice coverage move, primarily hitting Fire-types who think they can set up on me, and the occasional Registeel and Aggron. Synthesis adds to my longevity, and is a good move sometimes on the switch. Leech Seed has been dropped for Sludge Bomb, to hit threats such as Moltres and Honchkrow harder. I'm not sure if I should try HP Ice out here.

Black Sludge for longevity. The speed EVs let me outpace neutral Base 80s with a Jolly Nature, while the rest is poured into my offenses.

Why the name?
Pawn is the name simply because the others were already taken. It's a holdover from when I used a lead LO Roserade, because a Pawn is supposed to lead the offense out.

King (Blastoise) (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Torrent
EVs: 252 HP/252 Def/4 SDef
Bold nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Rapid Spin
- Surf
- Yawn
- Roar

Why this Pokémon?
Blastoise was chosen for the third spot of the team because of two (or three) reasons. For starters, he had a move crucial to the success of the team - Rapid Spin, allowing me to keep my three Flying-types healthy and fit to continue tearing up my opponent. In addition, it carries the useful defenses and resistances of a Bulky Water, giving me a good check to threats like Azumarill, Kabutops, and Feraligatr, among others. Despite what one may say, I see my team more as a bulky offense than anything, despite having a shit attacker on it. Blastoise actually preserves the offensive momentum with its support options, keeping the other side switching with its tandem of Roar and Yawn.

Why these moves?
Rapid Spin and Surd are both obvious and necessary; the first is vital to keeping my team alive, and the second is STAB and my only attacking move. Water has pretty decent coverage anyways. Yawn is great to force the opponent out, and to prevent any set-up. Both allow me to get off a Rapid Spin. In addition, it can save my ass from things like Torterra, who can really run through the team if it sets up on Blastoise. Roar may seem redundant with Yawn, but saves my ass against Subbers like Raikou and Azumarill. Rest disrupts my momentum even further, while Ice Beam is weak.

Nature and EVs meant for Max Defense/HP, to fulfill role to best of abilities. Leftovers for the same reason.

Why the name?
The king in chess is the weakest piece on the board, and yet the most important. While Blastoise may not be that important, its role is nonetheless crucial to the survival of the team, and if Blastoise goes down too early in the game with Rocks still up, it can be a nightmare.

The Flyers
These three Pokémon aren't limited to end-game sweeping - based on the other team, they can each come in whenever, and wreak havoc, because there's another one waiting in the wings. The deadly avian trio wreaks havoc with 125 base stats - Moltres and Base 125 Special Attack, Honchkrow's Base 125 Attack, and Swellow with 125 Base Speed. Few opponents can take repeated beatings from the power of these titans, even harder to do once you factor in their interchange-ability and unpredictability.

Bishop (Moltres) @ Life Orb
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 40 HP/216 Spd/252 SAtk
Modest nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
- Air Slash
- Fire Blast
- Hidden Power [Grass]
- Roost

Why this Pokémon?
Anyone who plays UU knows that Moltres is ridiculous in this metagame. Only four Pokémon in the tier can take more than two hits from it, and two (Moltres, Altaria) need full health to survive. Few bulky waters survive Air Slash and HP Grass, Milotic again the exception. Apart from its ridiculous Special Attack, Moltres also has good speed, outspeeding the benchmark Base 80s with ease. And finally, the amount of bulk it carries even with minor investment is shocking, especially with Roost. Moltres, on my team, is the 'muscle,' it serves primarily to power its way through walls, not even needing to wall-break. Few teams are prepared for Moltres nowadays, and this team indirectly exploits that. On the first switch-in, whenever it may be, Moltres likes to hit hard with an Air Slash, hopefully targeting a bulky water that takes major damage. Later on, once they start scrambling for options, I go at them without much prediction, typically sweeping their team if I've broken their defense.

Why these moves?
Fire Blast and Air Slash are both obvious STAB, hitting ridiculously hard. Hidden Power Grass is to bully the bulky waters that try to stop me, and Roost is meant to get rid of SR recoil when I have to take it. Moltres is useful in taking certain kinds of hits (Grass, Bug, Steel, Ground), as well as weak moves, and it's nice to be able to keep it alive, both for sweeping and checking purposes.

Modest for max power, or else I'd use Magmortar. Speed allows me to outrun neutral Base 85s (notablly Toxicroak, who I check), and the rest is dumped into HP. Life Orb for the needed muscling power.

Why the name?
Well, it's more of an aesthetic thing here. You take Moltres' beak and crest, point it upwards, and it looks vaguely like a bishop.

Knight (Honchkrow) (F) @ Life Orb
Ability: Insomnia
EVs: 16 HP/252 Atk/240 Spd
Lonely nature (+Atk, -Def)
- Brave Bird
- Sucker Punch
- Superpower
- Hidden Power [Grass]

Why this Pokémon?
Again, anyone playing UU should know the pure destructive value of Honchkrow. The simple addition of Brave Bird, in many people's eyes, has turned this monster into a friggin' beast. Honchkrow is used due to valuable Psychic and Ground immunities (though the first is definitely more important), and even more so, its ability to utilize raw power to rip into the opposition. Honchkrow, like Moltres, is raw muscle for the team, just driving through the opposition, and sweeping if it gets the opportunity (ie Swellow and Moltres have come out before it to rip up shit). I usually come in, and just Brave Bird off the bat; prediction isn't needed for Honchkrow. The other moves are just coverage, to allow Krow and her amazing Brave Bird to rampage through whatever needs to be rampaged through. Unlike most people, I don't suicide with Honchkrow; my balanced playstyle is derived from switches, and with Blastoise's spinning, I can come back to keep denting and eventually killing my counters, seeing as most don't have recovery moves.

Why these moves?
Brave Bird is completely obvious, and if you don't realize it, then you better learn some UU. Superpower, again, hits my counters hard. Sucker Punch is a risky option, but has high payback if used right, as long as I can watch out for the Substitutes. You may be wondering why HP Grass is over Roost, but it's absolutely necessary on a team like mine to make sure Rhyperior can't get a Rock Polish, since it's one of the few weaknesses I have. It also eases prediction in the rain, and allows me to sweep them without having to switch out after Superpower.

Life Orb and Max Attack for maximum sweeping power. I think the Speeds EVs let me beat Max Speed Modest Magneton, and the -Def nature is because more often than not, Honchkrow's gonna be taking weak special hits on the Pokémon it terrorizes.

Why the name?
When I saw Honchkrow, it gave me the impression of a black knight, which is fitting to an extent, though there's nothing gallant about ripping through teams. The way it erratically attacks, and its good attacks, can be contrasted to the odd way a knight moves in chess.

Queen (Swellow) (F) @ Flame Orb
Ability: Guts
EVs: 40 HP/252 Atk/216 Spd
- Brave Bird
- Facade
- Quick Attack
- U-turn

Why this Pokémon?
Swellow is simultaneously one of the fastest, and one of the most powerful Pokémon in UU, which makes it perfect to clean up late game. At least, that's how most people use it. I've had far too many people tell me that they can't handle a Swellow in the early game at all. My primary reason for bringing out Swellow so early, apart from it being interchangeable with both Moltres and Honchkrow, is because oftentimes I don't have the window to get the crucial Guts Boost later in the game; playing both smart and risky by doing something like coming into a Rhyperior Earthquake is what I prefer to do - come in scotch-free, and U-turn right back out and save my health for the inevitable sweep.

Why these moves?
Brave Bird for STAB, and Facade for an insane high-octane sweeping move. U-turn is to get out of things I don't like. Quick Attack is the crux of the set. After SR, IIRC, it 2HKOs all the common Sucker Punchers, save Toxicroak, who I have other checks to. It also makes me a great revenge killer to Scarfers or weakened Pokémon, and has saved my ass on multiple occasions. Though I'm not one to brag, I will point out that I had never seen any Swellow use Quick Attack in the past few months until I started to recommend and use it myself.

The HP EVs have saved my ass on multiple occasion. In addition, I never want to risk the speed tie with Swellow anyways, so it's rather pointless, so long as I always outspeed the Base 120s (I OHKO all of them). Jolly ensures this. Flame Orb is an obvious choice for the self-inflicted status.

Why the name?
The queen is the most versatile, most powerful piece on the board. Substitute versatility for speed and you have Swellow.
---

Anyways, that's the RMT. Any reviews/comments are appreciated. If you wanna steal the team, feel free so long as you drop me a line first. Be warned that it's probably a different style then what you're accustomed too, so if it doesn't work for you, then you're probably using it wrong. Or it's for the same problems I had - it just don't work anymore.

I myself was surprised at its longevity; it's weathered a lot of things, yet still perform(ed) strongly.

Anyways, thanks for taking the time to read through all of this. If you wanna give me any suggestions on my RMT style itself, they're more than welcome.

Threat List:

- Honchkrow takes Sleep Powder, Venusaur and Moltres can take Power Whip. It's mostly a matter of baiting it into a certain move.
- Regirock is typically a full-stop to all variants save Will-O-Wisp. Blastoise also works, and Venusaur and Moltres can take some attacks.
- Regirock takes Brave Bird, Venusaur/Moltres take Superpower. Blastoise can 2HKO with Rocks, and Swellow and Honchkrow use priority if needed.
- DS is a bitch. Otherwise, Moltres 2HKOs most incoming variants, Regirock sets up SR, and Honchkrow/Swellow can do big damage if let in.
- Just keep breaking Subs until it decides to stat up, at which point go to whatever resists your current weakness. Or skip the first step. Swellow/Venusaur pair nicely for Shadow Ball/T-Bolt.
- Venusaur, though Swellow can OHKO if let in. Honchkrow can work, with prediction, and Regirock is a last resort.
- Regirock. Honchkrow/Swellow can threaten, Blastoise is a back-up.
- Regirock blows up here, Venusaur typically outspeeds, and Swellow/Moltres/Honchkrow all OHKO with STAB moves (Sucker Punch for Krow).
- Moltres wrecks Curse Variants, Regirock laughs at others. Honchkrow/Venusaur/Blastoise like it too.
- Regirock breaks it. Swellow/Honchkrow if needed.
- Annoying for Regirock. Moltres takes all variants, and Venusaur can take hits too.
- Difficult at times. May require a suicide from a Flyer, though Venusaur can take hits.
- Moltres handled everything except HP Rock Leads, which I scout for. Again, Honchkrow/Swellow if needed.
- Moltres, Blastoise. Venusaur if needed.
- One of my bigger threats. Stealth Rock/Roar/Yawn/Leech Seed, try to chip away at it. Stealth Rock is crucial here, make sure it can't come in on Fire Blasts/Facades. Honchkrow puts a beating on it.
- Play around, using Honchkrow to take Psychics. Swellow outspeeds and OHKOs with ease, and it can't really switch into anything.
- Venusaur and Blastoise send it to hell with STAB moves. Can be dangerous if it comes on Swellow, but I play conservatively with it early-game. Honchkrow and Moltres scare it, and Regirock suffers the same problems as Swellow. Can be dangerous with RP.
- Venusaur sends it to hell with Earthquake (80%), Moltres does the same with Air Slash. My other Pokémon are somewhat threatened, but can all do damage to it. Can't come in at all.
- Venusaur, Moltres for Grass moves. Specs Versions are easy to predict. SD is slightly harder, but it can't really set up on anything. Mixed Versions only get one kill max, and Honchkrow and Swellow effortlessly revenge.
- Is annoying. I have to watch for paralysis, so having an already Burned Swellow is great here. Regirock has Hammer Arm, Venusaur 2HKOs most with Power Whip, and Moltres/Swellow 2HKO. Honchkrow OHKO.
- Regirock baits and blows it up, it's hard-pressed to come in on Moltres/Krow/Swellow, CB Versions can be predicted with Regirock/Venusaur/Blastoise.
- Always gets paralysis, making it a bitch at times. Blastoise usually takes it, though I may go risky and try for Swellow. Can't switch in on anything except Blastoise and Regirock, only to be met with Yawn/Explosion.
- SR is useful here. Regirock is my first switch, and can be a pivot for Swellow/Krow. SubRoost means a Regirock sacrifice, usually.
- Blastoise beats on DD, Venusaur can take SD if wanted. Other Pokémon can be used as needed, and it has trouble coming in on anything.
- Venusaur is my first switch, and if I have knowledge of the foe's team, I can HP Grass it with Moltres on the switch. Has trouble coming in on Krow/Low.
- Honchkrow takes it in rain, provided it switches in. Blastoise checks all variants, and Venusaur can be used ouside of Rain. Fears Moltres.
- Venusaur, typically, though my Flyers can run circles around it. Blastoise Spins/Surfs it.
- Blastoise is 3HKO'd, IIRC, and does ~40% with Surf. Regirock is a full-stop, and both Honchkrow and Swellow can revenge with priority, though I try and scout for QA.
- Can be annoying. Swellow likes free switches here, and Regirock can apply pressure. Krow OHKOs if needed, as does Venusaur.
- Regirock is a full-stop, and only the most defensive versions can take Moltres. Blastoise can discourage set-up, and both Honchkrow and Swellow outspeed and nail it.
- Swellow/Honchkrow decimate it, Regirock blows up (what else can I do?), Venusaur can survive and kill it, while Blastoise laughs on it, and Moltres may come in CB EQ/Sucker Punches.
- Moltres/Blastoise are my first line of defense (Blastoise if Rocks are up). Though it may take a while, Honchkrow can eventually kill it, or weaken it enough for Swellow.
- Honchkrow revenges in Rain. I typically play around it to Stall out Rain/Bring in a threat.
- Moltres slams it with Air Slash, even if it does get the boost, Regirock can take an unboosted hit if needed, both Honchkrow and Swellow revenge (Sucker Punch does over 60%!).
- Regirock/Blastoise come to grips with defensive versions, and can beat up on offensive ones. Everything else can too, except maybe Honchkrow in normal circumstances.
- Venusaur, though I try to take Paralysis with Blastoise. ParaFusion is a bitch, though Swellow can predict and come in, OHKO'ing with Facade. Krow can punish it at times, and only Moltres really fears it.
- Moltres. Swellow can play mindgames with QA/Facade, and Regirock can stop versions from setting up. Blastoise Roars/Yawns.
- Moltres/Honchkrow/Venusaur all OHKO.
- Threatening at times. Honchkrow beats SD versions with Brave Bird, and Sucker Punches others. Swellow can also revenge if needed, and the other Pokémon, save Venusaur, prevent set-up.
- Rare. Moltres/Venusaur/Blastoise, play around it, Regirock absorbs Explosion.
- Again, play around. Honchkrow OHKOs with Sucker Punch, Moltres Fire Blast is brutal to it, and Swellow also OHKOs, IIRC. The other Pokémon don't give it a chance to set up.
- Don't give it a chance to set up.
- Same logic here, though it can on Venusaur. Blastoise and Regirock are only 2HKO'd, so Explode or Yawn as needed, go to Moltres to absorb Wood Hammer after in the second case.
- I need to be careful here, and not play too recklessly with Swellow. Other than that, only Scarf Versions can come in on my other Pokémon, and everything does upwards of 80%.
- Probably Blastoise, though I'm sure a Flyer could come in if they try to come in on Regirock.
- Explosion, Yawn. Honchkrow can stop it if it hasn't Cursed more than once, and Moltres takes advantage of Scrappy.
- Not sure, haven't seen one. I suppose I could try playing around with it with my Pokémon, and I only have to watch out for ChestoResto CM sweepers.
- Watch out for status, then strike when the time is right with Flyers. Regirock can Explode in desperation.
- Again, play around it, abuse immunities, and OHKO with Fire Blast/Facade.
- Get Moltres in on a Fire move, Roost if needed (Thunderbolt doesn't even do 50%), and Fire Blast = OHKO. It can't switch in on my Flyers, save predicted Superpowers.
- Regirock/Blastoise. Venusaur/Moltres/Honchkrow keep it on its toes.
- See Regirock's Lead section.
---
NB: I have only been swept twice, IIRC. In one instance, it was an Agility Porygon2, and the other, an Agility Lanturn. Neither did it again.

Really an excellent team here 031ap, I think it's one of the best teams made in the metagame. Probably the best one that doesn't use Raikou :P.

Anyway, those 40 EVs in Swellow's HP always peeved me. I really think you should consider putting the HP EVs back in Speed. Your team definitely has a hard time switching into opposing Swellow with U-turn + Dugtrio being so common. You put a lot of pressure on Regirock this way, not to mention that it's your lead as well.

Once Regirock is taken out / is weakened by something like Honchkrow or Dugtrio, you have nothing stopping Swellow from absolutely annihilating your team except for maybe Blastoise if it has full HP.

The most simple fix for this is to just add the 40 HP EVs onto your Swellow so that you can assuredly whittle Swellow's HP down enough that it can only do minimal damage.

On Venusaur I would consider Sleep Powder over Synthesis or Leech Seed, but that's personal preference.

Anyway, great team!

Barring the fact that I barely know what I'm doing when I make teams, I still have some things to say about this one.

First: Venusaur. I've always used Venusaur as a tank, but I can see the sense in max speed. Still you might want to try it without max speed just to see the results. I think as well that Sleep Powder is too good a move to give up, so you might want to drop Leech Seed for it. Sure it conflicts with Yawn, but then again it's not that often you see someone sacrifice a Pokemon to Yawn.

Two: your team doesn't seem to have a special wall. Regirock has 200 base defense, but only 100 base special defense - well below Uxie's 130 base and Registeel's 150 base, and you haven't EV'ed into SpD. Just wondering what your plan is to take on a powerful special sweeper like Alakazam or Mismagius?

Three: I'm skeptical about Yawn on Blastoise. Last time I tried Roar as my only phazing move I ran into a Cradily that had Curse and Rest such that I couldn't poison him out with Toxic, nor could I Roar him out, nor could I damage him out (Sandstorm's increased special defense ftw). You might want a different move. Toxic or Haze, perhaps. Toxic would not help against said Cradily, but then it'd not conflict with Sleep Powder if you go for it. Haze is a bit redundant with Roar but then it's a safeguard against this Cradily and any last-Pokemon-stall.

But otherwise yeah, I'm going to steal the team ^_^

Good luck.

PS: Here's another question. With only one Roost and a hail / sandstorm hindered Synthesis, how do you propose to beat stall teams?

Anyway, those 40 EVs in Swellow's HP always peeved me. I really think you should consider putting the HP EVs back in Speed. Your team definitely has a hard time switching into opposing Swellow with U-turn + Dugtrio being so common. You put a lot of pressure on Regirock this way, not to mention that it's your lead as well.

Once Regirock is taken out / is weakened by something like Honchkrow or Dugtrio, you have nothing stopping Swellow from absolutely annihilating your team except for maybe Blastoise if it has full HP.
Swellow actually doesn't threaten the team that much. Stealth Rock is almost always up against Swellow, and usually, I don't have a reason to Explode against any of Swellow's teammates (I dunno why, don't ask me), so Regirock can take repeated batterings if needed. Blastoise is 3HKO'd by Facade, but 2HKOs with Surf in return, and typically, I can put enough pressure on the opposition to never let Swellow in for free.

Besides, I've always hated Speed Ties, and almost always switch out of them. Personal Preference. I play risky, but the risks I take are usually calculated/instinct-driven, not those that I leave purely up to chance.

Two: your team doesn't seem to have a special wall. Regirock has 200 base defense, but only 100 base special defense - well below Uxie's 130 base and Registeel's 150 base, and you haven't EV'ed into SpD. Just wondering what your plan is to take on a powerful special sweeper like Alakazam or Mismagius?
Regirock isn't meant to be a wall. The team is distinctly offensive, so even the walls I have are chosen for the offensive momentum they can bring.

The problem with most powerful Special Attackers usually stem from the lack of variety in typing. I typically play around them, as they're very easy to predict, particularly Choice users.

Three: I'm skeptical about Yawn on Blastoise. Last time I tried Roar as my only phazing move I ran into a Cradily that had Curse and Rest such that I couldn't poison him out with Toxic, nor could I Roar him out, nor could I damage him out (Sandstorm's increased special defense ftw). You might want a different move. Toxic or Haze, perhaps. Toxic would not help against said Cradily, but then it'd not conflict with Sleep Powder if you go for it. Haze is a bit redundant with Roar but then it's a safeguard against this Cradily and any last-Pokemon-stall.
I've considered Haze, but I usually use Roar on Sub users that laugh at my attacks and Yawn (Toxicroak, Raikou). Haze has no point in these scenarios, as they'll eventually just go for straight-out attacks while I can do very little to them. Makes me even more of a sitting duck.

On Venusaur I would consider Sleep Powder over Synthesis or Leech Seed, but that's personal preference.
First: Venusaur. I've always used Venusaur as a tank, but I can see the sense in max speed. Still you might want to try it without max speed just to see the results. I think as well that Sleep Powder is too good a move to give up, so you might want to drop Leech Seed for it. Sure it conflicts with Yawn, but then again it's not that often you see someone sacrifice a Pokemon to Yawn.
Yawn isn't there to put the opposition to sleep, it's to make them switch out in fear of sleep. If I do this on incoming switches, oftentimes I get a free Rapid Spin the following turn. Sleep Powder on Venusaur hinders this, as if I put something to sleep, I can't force switches with Blastoise's Yawn/Roar.

While I see your point about Speed ties, sometimes you don't have much of a choice. I remember one match I actually won against you (a long time ago, I don't remember my actual record on this team but I remember winning "sometimes") because of this.

I used a very similar team, utilizing the Honchkrow + Swellow combo. If I send in Honchkrow in your Venusaur, or come in on the revenge kill, I can potentially take out all of your Swellow defense then and there, even if you predict correctly.

While I know you don't think Honchkrow is broken, you can't deny it would cause your team trouble when combined with a Pokemon such as Swellow. Not using your own Swellow as a deterrent for opposing Swellow will only help the opponent's sweep, imo. Stealth Rock is a good defense against Swellow, but sometimes it only needs 2-3 turns to rip a team apart, as I'm sure you know.

Anyway you are right about Sleep Powder / Yawn, I missed that completely. Though, I would still consider swapping out Leech Seed for Something like Sludge Bomb or HP Ice to hit Honchkrow with at least.

IronBullet

Astronomy Domine
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Hi,
Nice team you have there, and with an interesting concept too.
I have a few points in mind for consideration.
1. It seems that you rely on Venusaur to take on the bulky waters that your sweepers have trouble taken on. However your Venusaur is quite easily 2HKOed by any stray ice beam. Hence I suggest changing it to a more defensive spread, while still packing some
offense with it's powerful STABs:
Sassy, 252 Hp, 252 SDef, 4 Att

- Power Whip
- Sleep Powder/Leech Seed
- Sludge Bomb
- Synthesis
This set allows it to take on bulky waters and rain dancers without a problem, as well as being an excellent special wall.
2. A minor nitpick, have you considered using Moltres as a lead? It's worked amazingly, defeating common leads without a problem. Moreover it let's you save Regirock for middle to late game. It also allows Moltres to sweep easily early game due to the absence of rocks.
That's it, once again, great team!!

franky

aka pimpdaddyfranky, aka frankydelaghetto, aka F, aka ef
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Hello ap,

I'm quite surprised your one of the few that notices the dominance of Flying-types. Ironically enough, I have attempted a triple bird team as a joke and won a fair amount of games with the team surprisingly. However, I noticed a couple of things that might need tweaking. Venusaur does not need that much investment or does not even need to attack with a number of offensive powerhouse in the team. Its best if you check threats thats it. I will actually suggest a defensive Meganium in place of Venusaur at the moment and I have my reasons for it. A Relaxed Meganium with mix defensive EV investment (tweaked to your liking) with the movesets Aromatheraphy/Energy Ball/Earthquake/Synthesis should work out. The reason I say this is because Aromatherapy and the single Grass-typing. You can now handle Raikou sufficiently better now with neutrality to Extrasensory. Another reason is that it allows you to handle Alakazam as well with a 2HKO with Earthquake. Alakazam is a major threat from what I can see (especially Sub versions). Aromatherapy will work by cleansing status on stuff like paralyzed Moltres or Honchkrow. All in all, a defensive Grass- sticks out like a sore thumb for this team and it desperately needs one. Venusaur is excellent, but its typing is a mix blessing in this particular metagame.

On Blastoise, I'd like to stick Rest over Roar. This simple core of yours can keep the latter three alive the sweeping the entire match and you need these guys to stay alive. Resttherapy is such a sweet combo to pull and you should try it out. With that being said, I think Rest is much needed to keep your spinner alive the entire match. On Regirock, try out Thunder Wave over Explosion. Reason being is that you really want Regirock to stay alive, no doubt. You don't want your Flying-type check gone in the start of the match, you want to keep it alive because you want to maintain a solid defensive core. Thunder Wave provides help on Moltres and Honchkrow mainly - a force to be reckoned with in conjunction with Thunder Wave. Thunder Wave makes up for the lack of Timid Nature on Moltres. I'd like you to give that a shot.

As for other options, 252 Spe is defenitely something to consider on Swellow. Reason = speed-tie with Alakazam. When the time comes, you will seriously miss the oppurtunity of speed-tieing with Alakazam. It ultimately lessens your prediction game from there, 40 HP is not needed from my experience. overall gl.

Bluewind

GIVE EO WARSTORY
is a Top Contributor Alumnus
Pretty cool team you got there. Now on to the rate, I'd like to recommend Rest over either Yawn or Roar on Blastoise (preferably Roar, as Yawn helps your spinning), because you rely on him to check a fair amount of threads, most notably RP Rhyperior, who'll rightfully outspeed and KO all your flyers, hit Venusaur very hard and hit both Blastoise and Regirock fairly hard, while the last will only be able to EQ it for quite a shabby amount of damage. That is if it hasn't already blown up by then.

Another thing you might want to consider is Sludge Bomb on Venusaur over Leech Seed, mainly to stop Sceptiles. Once it has gotten a SD it's pretty much unstoppable, as with a simple combination of Rock Slide and Leaf Blade it can OHKO your whole team (I think), while the best you can do in return is praying that either Swellow or Honchrow are alive (something unlikely when you add up recoil + eventual SR + LO/Status damage + lack of roost) or rely on Venusaur. Even though I do recognize your two bird pokés should take decent care of this thread, good prediction or a Mixtile set will eventually catch up and you might see yourself in a though spot.

Good luck with the team =)

Well, I know from experience that this is one hella good team. I can't nitpick too much because it's just THAT good. However, I do have a few suggestions. I agree with Heysup that Swellow sometimes misses that extra speed, but Swellow isn't all that common, so I wouldn't worry about it. I would run roost over HP Grass only because it's just the better option imo. This team doesn't have much trouble with rhyperior, albeit the flyers have to watch out for STAB rock attacks from it. I would also suggest dropping leech seed for Sleep Powder on Venusaur. To me, those moves just give me a sense of redundancy. I'm not sure, but something is telling me to also suggest a Life orb over black sludge. You could also try a mixed set with sludge bomb, so you can actually do something to pure grass types because atm, Sceptile walks all over this set, especially if it carries substitute.

Suggestions:

-Roost > HP Grass (Honchkrow)
-Sleep Powder > Leech Seed/ Mixed > Physical (Venusaur)
-Minor- Max Hp on Swellow

Again, great team! I'm glad you finally wrote an RMT.

I'm going to go against some other raters and suggest that you keep HP Grass on that Hochkrow. Though Rhyperior can't really beat your Blastoise, the fact that it can KO half your team after a Rock Polish means you want to give it as few chances as possible to set up. I run a similar Honchkrow and it KOs more Rhyperiors than my Sceptile does.

I second Heysups suggestion to put Sludge Bomb over Leech Seed, because as is your Venusaur can't do anything against other Grass types. They obviously don't give the team much of an issue, but it'd be insurance against things like Sunny Day Tangrowth and Mixed Sceptile (who if they predict your switch can KO any of your birds with Rock Slide). Not the biggest problem, but it might be something to test.

I say put leftovers on Venusaur over Black Sludge. Yes, it will hurt whoever uses trick on you, but they can just trick it over to your Blastoise or Regirock later to annoy you.

Minor stuff, as the team really is good. I had the misfortune to face a noob who stole this team, and despite the fact that he used it horribly he actually almost won, a testament to how effective it is.

This team looks really good and looks like it will annoy the crap outta ppl who see that you have so many flyers on your team hahaha...

While you do say that Rest distrupts your momentum i would suggest adding it on...I remember BurtonEarny telling me about stalls and keeping spikes/SR on the field was that your gonna have to keep switching your blastoise in everytime SR is on the field..meaning your gonna be on the defensive side of things constantly trying to get SR off and blastoise will take constant damage from attacks and SR...Also as everyone has pointed out Honchkrow will do its job perfectly once it gets in on venasaur (then again its almost like no matter what team any of us build honchkrow will own you somehow)...Also some very unique counters to this team are fast Sword Dancers such as scyther/Leafeon/Zangoose etc...not that any of those are used that much...but point being that it seems like regirock needs to stay alive as much as possible to scout the opponents entire team...even then it may be weakened...as heysup said too your team is very dependent on regirock...and i say there is ALOT of importance riding on blastoise for him to not have rest or wish support...

hey if you got to number 3 with this team than i say keep it as it is and keep going for it...if honchkrow gets banned will that ruin this whole team or could you find a replacement and still keep the same momentum?

Before I start, 3 things.
1. Thanks for all the rates. It's especially interesting to get all the top players' perspectives.
2. Threat List is up at last. Feel free to take it for your own RMTs, just gimme some credit.
3. Long post ahead.

Issue #1: Max Speed Swellow

While I see your point about Speed ties, sometimes you don't have much of a choice. I remember one match I actually won against you (a long time ago, I don't remember my actual record on this team but I remember winning "sometimes") because of this.
As for other options, 252 Spe is defenitely something to consider on Swellow. Reason = speed-tie with Alakazam. When the time comes, you will seriously miss the oppurtunity of speed-tieing with Alakazam. It ultimately lessens your prediction game from there, 40 HP is not needed from my experience. overall gl.
Well, I know from experience that this is one hella good team. I can't nitpick too much because it's just THAT good. However, I do have a few suggestions. I agree with Heysup that Swellow sometimes misses that extra speed, but Swellow isn't all that common, so I wouldn't worry about it.
Though I see where you're all coming from, I'm gonna have to say no. The HP EVs have saved my ass on multiple occasions, whereas if I ever have a Swellow showdown, 90% of the time the opponent's is under 50% (QA KO Range).

@Franky: Alakazam actually has only Base 120 Speed. Swellow's EVs outspeed this speed tier, so I'm good there.

Issue #2: Venusaur

1. It seems that you rely on Venusaur to take on the bulky waters that your sweepers have trouble taken on. However your Venusaur is quite easily 2HKOed by any stray ice beam. Hence I suggest changing it to a more defensive spread, while still packing some
offense with it's powerful STABs:
Sassy, 252 Hp, 252 SDef, 4 Att

- Power Whip
- Sleep Powder/Leech Seed
- Sludge Bomb
- Synthesis
This set allows it to take on bulky waters and rain dancers without a problem, as well as being an excellent special wall.
Another thing you might want to consider is Sludge Bomb on Venusaur over Leech Seed, mainly to stop Sceptiles. Once it has gotten a SD it's pretty much unstoppable, as with a simple combination of Rock Slide and Leaf Blade it can OHKO your whole team (I think), while the best you can do in return is praying that either Swellow or Honchrow are alive (something unlikely when you add up recoil + eventual SR + LO/Status damage + lack of roost) or rely on Venusaur. Even though I do recognize your two bird pokés should take decent care of this thread, good prediction or a Mixtile set will eventually catch up and you might see yourself in a though spot.
I would also suggest dropping leech seed for Sleep Powder on Venusaur. To me, those moves just give me a sense of redundancy. I'm not sure, but something is telling me to also suggest a Life orb over black sludge. You could also try a mixed set with sludge bomb, so you can actually do something to pure grass types because atm, Sceptile walks all over this set, especially if it carries substitute.
I second Heysups suggestion to put Sludge Bomb over Leech Seed, because as is your Venusaur can't do anything against other Grass types. They obviously don't give the team much of an issue, but it'd be insurance against things like Sunny Day Tangrowth and Mixed Sceptile (who if they predict your switch can KO any of your birds with Rock Slide). Not the biggest problem, but it might be something to test.

I say put leftovers on Venusaur over Black Sludge. Yes, it will hurt whoever uses trick on you, but they can just trick it over to your Blastoise or Regirock later to annoy you.
Since there's been an overwhelming amount of support here, I'm going to listen to all the suggestions, and convert to a more defensive set. I'd like to keep as much Speed/Attack as possible, so I'm going to play around a little with it. My eventual goals:
1. Enough Speed to beat Adamant Krow/MixKen.
2. Enough Attack to comfortably combat most of the threats I usually do (particularly SD-Gatr).
3. Sludge Bomb/HP Ice > Leech Seed
4. Possibly a neutral nature, and some Special Attack EVs.

And, another point I'd like to make: Venusaur isn't Sceptile weak. Power Whip 2HKOs most versions, IIRC, and even SD EQ doesn't KO me back. So my typical response is to just keep on Whipping it.

I'm not sure which to try, though: Sludge Bomb or HP Ice. The latter would be mainly for Altaria, but the former would be better on Moltres (and Fire-types switching in, and Grass-types not named Venusaur). Which should I go with? Any help on the EVs would also be appreciated.

Issue #3: Blastoise

On Blastoise, I'd like to stick Rest over Roar. This simple core of yours can keep the latter three alive the sweeping the entire match and you need these guys to stay alive. Resttherapy is such a sweet combo to pull and you should try it out. With that being said, I think Rest is much needed to keep your spinner alive the entire match.
Pretty cool team you got there. Now on to the rate, I'd like to recommend Rest of either Yawn or Roar on Blastoise (preferably, as Yawn helps your spinning), because you rely on him to check a fair amount of threads, most notably RP Rhyperior, who'll rightfully outspeed and KO all your flyers, hit Venusaur very hard and hit both Blastoise and Regirock fairly hard, while the last will only be able to EQ it for quite a shabby amount of damage. That is if it hasn't already blown up by then.
While you do say that Rest distrupts your momentum i would suggest adding it on...I remember BurtonEarny telling me about stalls and keeping spikes/SR on the field was that your gonna have to keep switching your blastoise in everytime SR is on the field..meaning your gonna be on the defensive side of things constantly trying to get SR off and blastoise will take constant damage from attacks and SR...
I'll definitely be sure to test out Rest out later on, after the Venusaur tests. I think I'll likely do it in tandem with Franky's Meganium suggestion, as Aromatherapy would be a great asset here. My primary reason for Roar is to combat Subbers, but if you think I can beat them without it, I'm game.

Issue #4: Miscellaneous

I used a very similar team, utilizing the Honchkrow + Swellow combo. If I send in Honchkrow in your Venusaur, or come in on the revenge kill, I can potentially take out all of your Swellow defense then and there, even if you predict correctly.

While I know you don't think Honchkrow is broken, you can't deny it would cause your team trouble when combined with a Pokemon such as Swellow. Not using your own Swellow as a deterrent for opposing Swellow will only help the opponent's sweep, imo. Stealth Rock is a good defense against Swellow, but sometimes it only needs 2-3 turns to rip a team apart, as I'm sure you know.
To all the Honchkrow posters - I'm just gonna remind you that Honchkrow will likely be taking a Power Whip to come in, though I do agree that it can be a legitimate problem with the right teammates to capitalize. Thankfully, it doesn't get too many free switches with a lack of Sleep Powder, though the Sludge Bomb/HP Ice will help there.

2. A minor nitpick, have you considered using Moltres as a lead? It's worked amazingly, defeating common leads without a problem. Moreover it let's you save Regirock for middle to late game. It also allows Moltres to sweep easily early game due to the absence of rocks.
That's it, once again, great team!!
I find Regirock to be better here, simply because I don't wanna put a Scarf on Moltres/bulk him up, and Regirock gives me better matchups overall. I am using a BulkyScarf Moltres on another team of mine right now, actually, in tandem with Regirock, and it's worked great there. Here, though, I just don't feel it agrees with the team.

I'm quite surprised your one of the few that notices the dominance of Flying-types. Ironically enough, I have attempted a triple bird team as a joke and won a fair amount of games with the team surprisingly. However, I noticed a couple of things that might need tweaking. Venusaur does not need that much investment or does not even need to attack with a number of offensive powerhouse in the team. Its best if you check threats thats it. I will actually suggest a defensive Meganium in place of Venusaur at the moment and I have my reasons for it. A Relaxed Meganium with mix defensive EV investment (tweaked to your liking) with the movesets Aromatheraphy/Energy Ball/Earthquake/Synthesis should work out. The reason I say this is because Aromatherapy and the single Grass-typing. You can now handle Raikou sufficiently better now with neutrality to Extrasensory. Another reason is that it allows you to handle Alakazam as well with a 2HKO with Earthquake. Alakazam is a major threat from what I can see (especially Sub versions). Aromatherapy will work by cleansing status on stuff like paralyzed Moltres or Honchkrow. All in all, a defensive Grass- sticks out like a sore thumb for this team and it desperately needs one. Venusaur is excellent, but its typing is a mix blessing in this particular metagame.
I'll try this out with Rest Blastoise, though I do have some qualms with some of the weaknesses it opens up, particularly Honchkrow and Mismagius, though I could try Seed Bomb > Energy Ball for the latter.

On Regirock, try out Thunder Wave over Explosion. Reason being is that you really want Regirock to stay alive, no doubt. You don't want your Flying-type check gone in the start of the match, you want to keep it alive because you want to maintain a solid defensive core. Thunder Wave provides help on Moltres and Honchkrow mainly - a force to be reckoned with in conjunction with Thunder Wave. Thunder Wave makes up for the lack of Timid Nature on Moltres. I'd like you to give that a shot.
Again, I'm going to have to turn this suggestion down, primarily because of Explosion's huge role in the team's success. I will stick it on my list, though, and try it if I get the time.
-----------

Thanks for all the rates so far!

IronBullet

Astronomy Domine
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Well I actually wasn't referring to a Scarftres, more to a LOtres, identical to the one in your team...dunno if that changes your perspective of things, just thought I'd point it out.

I have the Venusaur set you want ;D

I have been using the following:

Venusaur (M) @ Leftovers
EVs: /232 Atk/252 Spd/24 SAtk
- Earthquake
- Power Whip
- Sleep Powder
- Sludge Bomb

Max Speed allows you to tie with Jolly Gallade and stuff , and obviously outruns MixKen (assuming neutral speed nature) and all Honchkrows that don't carry a scarf.The atk EVs allow you to 2HKO Chansey with SR down 60% of the time. But if you want to 2HKO 100% of the time , you could just change the EVs. Rest is bumped into SP.Atk.You don't need a neutral Sp.Atk Nature. You can't run it at all , the speed is needed , the defenses are needed and the atk is needed. Plus , it still does enough damage to fulfill its tasks ;D

If you want a more bulky set then:

Venusaur (M) @ Leftovers
EVs: 88 HP/232 Atk/164 Spd/24 SAtk
- Earthquake
- Power Whip
- Sleep Powder
- Sludge Bomb

Most of the EVs are explained above.As for the speed , it allows you to outrun max speed neutral nature base 80s like Gallade and Blaziken. Rest is bumped into HP for bulk , and you could perhaps put the sp.atk evs into HP.

Hope I helped and good like with your amazing team ^_^

Great Team 031ap, I remember versing you a couple of times and I don't know how you can't consider Raikou (particulary sub cm- where sub is easily set up) a threat, he was the only reason why I beat you (I remember him sweeping 3 of your pokemon, isn't that considered a sweep?). Moltres and Blastoise are killed, Swellow needs Guts, Honckrow relies on prediction and Venusaur is 2hko'd with hidden power ice.

Yeah, that's why I agree with the bulky Ev's with Venusaur so that Venusaur cannot be 2hko'd by hidden power ice by Raikou.

Nevertheless, great team!

Nas

Banned deucer.
Well its a great team like everyone has said, but there are a few minor things that you might want to consider changing:

176 Spd EV's and a Timid nature on Moltres - this allows you to outspeed positive base 80's and is especially useful for outspeeding and KO'ing Venusaur before it can Sleep you. Or, you can run 192 Spd Ev's which will allow you to outspeed Adamant Arcanine and other neutral natured 95's. The drop in power from using Timid over Modest is unfortunate, but it's still worth considering.

On Honchkrow, I would run Naughty over Lonely just so you can take random priority attacks easier, such as Feraligatr Aqua jets, Donphans Ice Shard, Swellows QA, etc. Also max speed so you can at least tie with other Honchkrows in a tight situation. Another option would be to run Roost > HP Grass and go Adamant, but I understand that HP Grass is necessary for Rhyperior, or else Swellow will have a hard time sweeping.

Finally, I want to suggest a special wall venusaur for your team:

Venusaur @ leftovers (Black Sludge can be used against you by Trick users)
~Sassy
EV's: 252 Hp/24 Spd/232 Sp.Def
-Sleep Powder
-Synthesis
-Power Whip
-Sludge Bomb

Raikou is a much bigger threat to your team that you give it credit for, especially in the hands of a skilled opponent. Your Venusaur is your only real counter, but with the current spread you're running you can easily be worn down by spikestaking teams and finished by a CM'd HP Ice/Extrasensory. This set is particularly useful for defending against Waters/Electrics, which is what your team needs more than more offense imo. With max Hp and near max Sp.Def Raikou has little hope of getting past this Venu, and Power Whip easily breaks its subs. The 24 Spd EV's allow you to outspeed all neutral natured Rhyperior.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)