UU Cores

Status
Not open for further replies.
The purpose of this thread is discuss cores that work within the UU metagame. Whether they be Defensive, Offensive or Balanced, all cores are welcome. Volturn, Dragmag, Bulky Offense, Stall and Balance are all playstyles that require cores in order to be played effectively :]

So show me what you as a community find works the best, obviously good contributors will be noticed and for anyone wondering why this thread was removed so long ago, it's because of how big of a cesspool it became. So this will be moderated VERY closely, bad cores will be deleted, repeat offenders run the risk of being infracted. Post smart and you'll be fine :]

The way it should be set out is

Swampert @ Leftovers
Ability: Torrent
EVs: 240 HP / 16 Atk / 252 Def
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Toxic
- Earthquake
- Scald

Crobat @ Leftovers
Ability: Infiltrator
EVs: 128 HP / 200 Atk / 4 SpD / 176 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Brave Bird
- U-turn
- Defog
- Roost

etc

Resistances, checks a lot of threats in the meta etc :]
You can find the sprites to use HERE.

Happy posting :]

Last edited:
Offensive Cores

Blastoise (F) @ Blastoisinite
Ability: Rain Dish
EVs: 200 HP / 252 SpA / 56 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: NaN Atk
- Hydro Pump
- Dark Pulse
- Rapid Spin
- Ice Beam

Nidoqueen @ Life Orb
Ability: Sheer Force
EVs: 128 HP / 252 SpA / 128 Spe
Modest Nature
- Earth Power
- Sludge Wave
- Stealth Rock
- Ice Beam

bulky offense core that controls hazards, lays rocks, absorbs toxic spikes, and wallbreaks decently while providing a nice set of resistances. no need for blastoise to run around 220 speed anymore since victini is gone. i guess it could help for defensive roserade but most people run speedy now so its pointless. Core originally run by user Ernesto.

------------------

Dugtrio @ Choice Band
Ability: Arena Trap
EVs: 252 Atk / 40 Def / 216 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Aerial Ace
- Sucker Punch

Whimsicott @ Choice Specs
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Energy Ball
- Moonblast
- Psychic
- Switcheroo

Jirachi @ Leftovers
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 120 HP / 212 Atk / 176 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Iron Head
- Stealth Rock
- Fire Punch
- U-turn

An offensive core that I have had a lot of joy using recently. Whimsicott has fantastic typing, speed, ability and packs a big punch with Specs. It has the potential to do a number on most offensive teams. However, it hates Steels, Fires and Poisons. What do all these have in common? They're all weak to EQ, and can hence be trapped and killed by Duggy, giving Whimsicott free reign. :) Just the grounded ones, of course (damn you Crobat).

Jirachi is one of the best offensive supporters / bulky pivots in the tier. It sets up rocks to give the other two an easier time of KOing stuff, particularly the aforementioned Crobat who can be KOed by Whimsi's Psychic after rocks. It easily lures in steels and fires, and can use U-turn on the switch to get Duggy in safely to give it a free kill. Not to mention these three can screw over stall with flinch, trapping, and switcheroo.

------------------------

Last edited:
Defensive Cores

Tentacruel @ Black Sludge
Ability: Liquid Ooze
Evs: 252 HP / 228 SpD or Def / 24 Spe
Nature: Bold / Calm
Moves:
-Scald
-Acid Spray
-Toxic Spikes
-Rapid Spin

Aromatisse @ Leftovers
Ability: Aroma Veil
Evs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
Nature: Bold
Moves:
-Moonblast
-Wish
-Protect
-Aromatherapy

This core lets you check you a bunch of different threats in the meta while at the same time providing cleric support, hazards, and reliable rapid spin. If you want to really take this core to the next level you can use Shedinja to beat something like Jirachi or Metagross who can give this core trouble. Strong Fire-types like Entei are also problematic, particularly if you run special defensive investment in Tentacruel.

Last edited:
Balance Cores

Suicune @ Leftovers
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 240 HP / 252 Def / 16 Spe
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Scald
- Ice Beam
- Rest
- Calm Mind

Umbreon @ Leftovers
Ability: Synchronize
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Foul Play
- Protect
- Wish
- Heal Bell

Crobat @ Black Sludge
Ability: Inner Focus
EVs: 128 HP / 172 Atk / 4 SpD / 204 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Brave Bird
- Taunt
- Roost
- Defog

an old core i used to use a lot on balance teams, but it still works wonders. suicune gives you a strong wincon and defensive pivot, crobat gives you hazard control and an answer to the myriad of fighting types in uu (even with hera gone, mienshao and machamp are huge threats) and umbreon marries them perfectly by providing heal bell and wish support and having fantastic defensive synergy with the two. pair this core with a wallbreaking stealth rock user, a scarfer, and a set up sweeper that can break stall, and you have a pretty strong balanced team right there.

-----------------------

Ampharos @ Ampharosite
Ability: Static
EVs: 212 HP / 252 SpA / 44 Spe
Modest Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Volt Switch
- Dragon Pulse
- Heal Bell

Vaporeon @ Leftovers
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 248 HP / 112 Def / 148 SpD (I run a lot of SpDef cause scary Nidos but tbh you're kinda weak to a well-played Krook with this spread so it's up to you)
Calm Nature
- Scald
- Wish
- Protect
- Baton Pass

Gligar @ Eviolite
Ability: Immunity / Hyper Cutter
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SpD (jk run a lot of creep imo)
Careful Nature
- Stealth Rock / Defog
- Earthquake
- U-turn
- Roost

Basically this is a 3-mon pivot core that has been popping up a lot on the ladder recently (variants are PhDef M-Amph + SpDef Gligar / PhDef Vap + SpDef Gligar on more offensive teams) that gives BO / Semi Stall / VoltTurn a flexible defensive core adapted to the rather offensive nature of the meta rn. All three pokemons have teh momemtum moves and between them cover a lot of the usual utility (basically you still need SR OR hazard removal - I personally find myself using Defog Gligar on these cores a lot more because the only spinner / defogger you really synergize with are Blasters and Empoleon), including a reliable Volt Switch switch-in which I find über important currently, while providing checks to a good portion of the meta. Keep in mind you can play this defensive core very aggressively with teh momentum moves so apparent big threats like LO Shao, the increasingly popular Kyurem, SubCM HP Ice Kou, DD Haxorus, etc can't just whack you around like they normally would.

I find this kind of dynamic core sweet because of the advantageous match-up against both offense and those switch-heavy pink teams ala Bob the bro, very nice to ladder consistently with :)

-------------------------

Ampharos @ Ampharosite
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpA
Bold Nature
- Rest
- Sleep Talk
- Volt Switch
- Dragon Pulse

Jirachi @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Iron Head
- Fire Punch
- U-turn

Crobat
EVs: 72 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SpD / 176 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Acrobatics
- Roost
- Defog
- U-turn

Ok so this is a pretty cool core I've been using as of late. It's a useful VoltTurn core that can easily grab you momentum while also checking many threats in UU. Jirachi and Ampharos have some pretty great synergy and complement each other well (offensively too, to an extent), while Crobat covers their Ground weakness and can remove hazards so you take less damage when you switch (which should be often considering the fact that it's a VoltTurn core). I like to use the itemless set for Crobat because it can switch into Knock Off more easily for Jirachi and allows it to use Acrobatics so its not worn down by recoil. This fits best on bulky offense and balanced VoltTurn teams because it can keep momentum up and allow you to wear down the opponent's team or bring a sweeper easily. So yeah fun core to play with.

Last edited:

kokoloko

what matters is our plan!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SPL Champion

Blastoise (F) @ Blastoisinite
EVs: 200 HP / 252 SpA / 56 Spe
Modest Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Dark Pulse
- Rapid Spin
- Ice Beam

Nidoqueen @ Life Orb
EVs: 128 HP / 252 SpA / 128 Spe
Modest Nature
- Earth Power
- Sludge Wave
- Stealth Rock
- Ice Beam

bulky offense core that controls hazards, lays rocks, absorbs toxic spikes, and wallbreaks decently while providing a nice set of resistances. no need for blastoise to run around 220 speed anymore since victini is gone. i guess it could help for defensive roserade but most people run speedy now so its pointless. Core originally run by user Ernesto

------------

Suicune @ Leftovers
EVs: 240 HP / 252 Def / 16 Spe
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Ice Beam
- Rest
- Calm Mind

Umbreon @ Leftovers
Ability: Synchronize
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Foul Play
- Protect
- Wish
- Heal Bell

Crobat @ Black Sludge
Ability: Inner Focus
EVs: 128 HP / 172 Atk / 4 SpD / 204 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Brave Bird
- Taunt
- Roost
- Defog

an old core i used to use a lot on balance teams, but it still works wonders. suicune gives you a strong wincon and defensive pivot, crobat gives you hazard control and an answer to the myriad of fighting types in uu (even with hera gone, mienshao and machamp are huge threats) and umbreon marries them perfectly by providing heal bell and wish support and having fantastic defensive synergy with the two. pair this core with a wallbreaking stealth rock user, a scarfer, and a set up sweeper that can break stall, and you have a pretty strong balanced team right there.

Last edited by a moderator:

IronBullet

Astronomy Domine
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus

Dugtrio @ Choice Band
EVs: 252 Atk / 40 Def / 216 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Aerial Ace
- Sucker Punch

Whimsicott @ Choice Specs
Timid Nature
- Energy Ball
- Moonblast
- Psychic
- Switcheroo

Jirachi @ Leftovers
Jolly Nature
- Iron Head
- Stealth Rock
- Fire Punch
- U-turn

An offensive core that I have had a lot of joy using recently. Whimsicott has fantastic typing, speed, ability and packs a big punch with Specs. It has the potential to do a number on most offensive teams. However, it hates Steels, Fires and Poisons. What do all these have in common? They're all weak to EQ, and can hence be trapped and killed by Duggy, giving Whimsicott free reign. :) Just the grounded ones, of course (damn you Crobat).

Jirachi is one of the best offensive supporters / bulky pivots in the tier. It sets up rocks to give the other two an easier time of KOing stuff, particularly the aforementioned Crobat who can be KOed by Whimsi's Psychic after rocks. It easily lures in steels and fires, and can use U-turn on the switch to get Duggy in safely to give it a free kill. Not to mention these three can screw over stall with flinch, trapping, and switcheroo.

Ampharos @ Ampharosite
EVs: 192 HP / 252 SpA / 44 Spe
Modest Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Volt Switch
- Dragon Pulse
- Heal Bell

Vaporeon @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 112 Def / 148 SpD (I run a lot of SpDef cause scary Nidos but tbh you're kinda weak to a well-played Krook with this spread so it's up to you)
Calm Nature
- Scald
- Wish
- Protect
- Baton Pass

Gligar @ Eviolite
Ability: Immunity / Hyper Cutter
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SpD (jk run a lot of creep imo)
Careful Nature
- Stealth Rock / Defog
- Earthquake
- U-turn
- Roost

Basically this is a 3-mon pivot core that has been popping up a lot on the ladder recently (variants are PhDef M-Amph + SpDef Gligar / PhDef Vap + SpDef Gligar on more offensive teams) that gives BO / Semi Stall / VoltTurn a flexible defensive core adapted to the rather offensive nature of the meta rn. All three pokemons have teh momentum moves and between them cover a lot of the usual utility (basically you still need SR OR hazard removal - I personally find myself using Defog Gligar on these cores a lot more because the only spinner / defogger you really synergize with are Blasters and Empoleon), including a reliable Volt Switch switch-in which I find über important currently, while providing checks to a good portion of the meta. Keep in mind you can play this defensive core very aggressively with teh momentum moves so apparent big threats like LO Shao, the increasingly popular Kyurem, SubCM HP Ice Kou, DD Haxorus, etc can't just whack you around like they normally would.
I find this kind of dynamic core sweet because of the advantageous match-up against both offense and those switch-heavy pink teams ala Bob the bro, very nice to ladder consistently with :)

Last edited:

YABO

King Turt
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus

Moves:
-Scald
-Acid Spray
-Toxic Spikes
-Rapid Spin

Aromatisse @ Leftovers
Evs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
Moves:
-Moonblast
-Wish
-Protect
-Aromatherapy

This core lets you check you a bunch of different threats in the meta while at the same time providing cleric support, hazards, and reliable rapid spin. If you want to really take this core to the next level you can use Shedinja to beat something like Jirachi or Metagross who can give this core trouble. Strong Fire-types like Entei are also problematic, particularly if you run special defensive investment in Tentacruel.

Ununhexium

I closed my eyes and I slipped away...
is a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Smogon Media Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus

Ampharos @ Ampharosite
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpA
Bold Nature
- Rest
- Sleep Talk
- Volt Switch
- Dragon Pulse

Jirachi @ Leftovers
Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Iron Head
- Fire Punch
- U-turn

Crobat
EVs: 72 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SpD / 176 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Acrobatics
- Roost
- Defog
- U-turn

Ok so this is a pretty cool core I've been using as of late. It's a useful VoltTurn core that can easily grab you momentum while also checking many threats in UU. Jirachi and Ampharos have some pretty great synergy and complement each other well (offensively too, to an extent), while Crobat covers their Ground weakness and can remove hazards so you take less damage when you switch (which should be often considering the fact that it's a VoltTurn core). I like to use the itemless set for Crobat because it can switch into Knock Off more easily for Jirachi and allows it to use Acrobatics so its not worn down by recoil. This fits best on bulky offense and balanced VoltTurn teams because it can keep momentum up and allow you to wear down the opponent's team or bring a sweeper easily. So yeah fun core to play with.

nv

The Lost Age
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus

Krookodile @ Leftovers
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 160 HP / 252 Def / 96 Spe
Impish Nature
- Earthquake
- Knock Off
- Taunt
- Stealth Rock

Shiny: Yes
EVs: 240 HP / 236 Def / 32 Spe
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Acid Spray
- Toxic Spikes
- Rapid Spin

Florges @ Leftovers
Ability: Flower Veil
EVs: 248 HP / 236 Def / 24 SpD
Calm Nature
- Moonblast
- Wish
- Protect
- Aromatherapy

This "team of 3" i.e. core is a decent defensive core. Bulky Krook covers all but one of Tentacruel's weaknesses and Tentacruel covers all of Krook's weaknesses. This is furthered by the fact that coupled with Krook's Intimidate, Tentacruel can take strong physical STAB moves from Fire types that Krook doesn't like taking (such as Entei's Sacred Fire). These two pokemon alone have great synergy, as Tentacruel also can lay down Toxic Spikes while Krook forces the opponent's Pokemon out with Intimidate. The problem with these two, however, is lack of recovery (except passive recovery) and the fact that they have no surefire way to force out special attackers. This is why Florges completes the core, not adding any weaknesses to the team whilst bringing all the great resistances of the Fairy typing. Her Wishes are decent enough to heal both Krook and Tenta and Aromatherapy makes sure they are not slowed down by status. This is a solid core for anyone that isn't afraid to "think outside the box" of typical defensive cores in UU (although it uses one of the most popular defensive Pokemon in UU but w/e) and wants a bit of variety as this defensive core can apply a lot of pressure on the opponent via Toxic Spikes, Intimidate, and "reliable" recovery.

boltsandbombers

i'm sorry mr. man
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Offensive Core:

Nidoqueen (F) @ Life Orb
EVs: 96 HP / 252 SpA / 160 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: null Atk
- Stealth Rock
- Earth Power
- Sludge Wave
- Ice Beam

Hydreigon @ Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Dark Pulse
- Superpower
- Roost

Nidoqueen and Hydreigon make a great offensive core due to having almost perfect type synergy and wearing down each others checks and counters. Hydreigon is eaten alive by Fairy-types, which are generally a free switch in for Nidoqueen to set up Stealth Rock to support the team or fire off a powerful Sludge Wave / Earth Power. Nidoqueen has trouble with Water-, Psychic-, and Ground-types which Hydreigon can all easily switch into by virtue of its typing, while it Nidoqueen can switch into Fighting and Bug type attacks aimed at Hydreigon. Nidoqueen, while it has very good special attack, it has trouble breaking through specially bulky pokemon such as Umbreon, Blissey, and Snorlax. All 3 of those will be smacked on the switch with a powerful superpower from Hydreigon. The Speed on Nidoqueen is just a bit of creep, but it can be dropped down. You can also use more attack EVs on Hydreigon to ensure the 2HKO on Blissey after rocks, but I generally prefer having max special attack. Steel types such as Jirachi make good partners for this core, as it is quite weak to Ice-type attacks.

Kink

it's a thug life ¨̮
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Balance Core

Krookodile @ Leftovers
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 248 HP / 120 Atk / 48 Def / 92 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Bulk Up
- Knock Off
- Earthquake
- Taunt

Crobat @ Black Sludge
Jolly Nature
- Brave Bird
- U-turn
- Roost
- Taunt

Vaporeon @ Leftovers
EVs: 252HP / 180 Def / 76 SpD or 220HP / 192 Def / 96 SpD
Calm Nature
- Scald
- Baton Pass
- Wish
- Protect

This results in a pass-turn pivot core that allows you to shutdown most set-up sweepers when used in conjunction with taunt, namely Crocune. A more offensive version of this core utilizes choice-banded Dugtrio.

Alright, I guess I'll bite.

Froslass (F) @ Focus Sash
Ability: Cursed Body
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Spikes
- Taunt
- Destiny Bond
- Thunder Wave / Icy Wind

Sableye @ Leftovers
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Will-O-Wisp
- Knock Off
- Recover
- Taunt

Swampert @ Leftovers
Ability: Torrent
EVs: 240 HP / 16 Atk / 252 Def
Relaxed Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Roar
- Earthquake
- Scald

This is pretty much the core to use when building a Spikestacking team. Froslass is one of the most reliable Spikes users in the tier, thanks to Froslass's extensive support movepool and high Speed, which let it set up at least one layer of Spikes, provided they don't have a fast Taunt user, particularly Sableye as Mega Aerodactyl and Crobat are susceptible to Icy Wind, or Magic Bounce users like Mega Absol or Espeon. With Sableye, it forms a dual spinblocking core which basically aims to keep hazards on the field as long as possible due to its Ghost-typing, and high Speed (Prankster in Sableye's case) which compounds with Taunt to block Defog; Sableye is especially useful as it blocks Defog from Crobat and Dactyl, who Froslass cannot outspeed, and threaten them with a priority Will-o-Wisp. Swampert serves as a reliable SR user, while also providing a nice Fire-resist to Pokemon like Darmanitan and Entei who threaten this team by a large margin. It also phazes, which racks up hazard damage and stops Wishtect users / set up sweepers.

There isn't much to be said for partners; late-game cleaners, like Lucario, Yanmega, and Sharpedo all make good partners and can clean fairly easily with the hazard damage.

Offensive Core:

Doublade @ Eviolite
Ability: No Guard
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 HP / 4 SDef
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Sacred Sword
- Iron Head
- Shadow Sneak

Hydreigon @ Life Orb / Black Belt
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 56 Atk / 220 SAtk / 232 Spd
Naive Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Dark Pulse
- Roost / U-turn
- Superpower

In my opinion, the great synergy is the best part of this offensive core. Doublade can man handle the more common Hydreigon counters such as fairy types - i.e. Florges - and take the opportunity to set up a SD. While Doublade does have the possibility to handle a few of unconventional checks for Hydreigon, such as unburden Hitmonlee or SD Cobalion, it's generally not the best option due to knock off being standard on a lot of fighting types. Hydreigon's wall breaker set is preferred for some trouble pokemon for this core - such as Snorlax, Krookodile, and occasionally Scrafty. This core does appreciate support from Florges for both wish support and aromatherpy for Doublade as it always seems to get burned. Common threats: This core does struggle with Nidoking/queen, Machamp, Darmanitan, Haxorus, and bulky water types - specifically Suicune. Regardless, this is a strong and actually fun offensive core to with a Pokemon that is little play time in UU.

Last edited:

aim

pokeaimMD
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past WCoP Champion

Whimsicott @ Leftovers
EVs: 244 HP / 248 SpD / 16 Spe
Calm Nature
- Stun Spore
- Tailwind
- Moonblast
- U-turn

Dugtrio @ Choice Band
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Aerial Ace
- Memento

A core that IronBullet93 touched upon though a bit different. I made this with my buddy Calloflochie during the UU Open to CounterStyle Afro Smash. Basically Whimsicott lures in a variety of pokemon such as Jirachi, Empoleon and Nidoqueen. With U-turn you get a nice switch into Dugtrio and bop they are trapped. Works effectively. Tailwind and Stun Spore are nice support for Pokemon like Life Orb Haxorus who can just tear throw a team with the speed it was granted. Stun Spore just to stop any potential set up mon or scarfer. The Sp Def allows you to switch into most of Hydreigons moves as well as tank special hits in general. Solid core that worked well in our match and on the ladder.

aim

pokeaimMD
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past WCoP Champion
Another core I like is Toxic Spikes Roserade + Sub CM Chandelure/Sub CM Suicune. Using the standard Chandelure spread that way it sub is never broken by Florges' Moon Blast. With Toxic Spikes support this set can essentially 6-0 stall. It works as a great spin blocker as well as an answer to Blissey, Non-Knock Off Alomomola, Foretress, Florges and Sableye depending on the moveset you are running. I sometimes go Hex > Shadow Ball as with the Toxic Spikes support it allows me to always 2HK0 the bulkiest of Sableye without having to rely on SpDef drops from Shadow Ball or Fire Blast's accuracy/Roles with Flamethrower. Roserade is a solid partner as it can take water attacks aimed at Chandelure just like Chandy can take the Fire attacks aimed at Rose. Similarly Suicune can function the same way, with 101 substitutes its sub is not broken by Seismic Toss from Blissey as well as easily being able to set up on pokemon such as Jirachi, Florges and Alomomola. I go with this spread to outspeed Adamant Honchkrow as well as Sub vs Tentacruel without having to worry about Acid Spray/Knock Off. Defensive or Offensive Roserade are fine support mons.

Roserade @ Black Sludge
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 HP / 240 SpD / 16 Spe
Calm Nature
- Sleep Powder
- Toxic Spikes
- Sludge Bomb
- Giga Drain

Chandelure @ Leftovers
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 112 HP / 140 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Substitute
- Calm Mind
- Flamethrower/Fire Blast
- Shadow Ball/Hex

Or
+

Suicune @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 196 SpA / 60 Spe
Timid Nature
- Calm Mind
- Scald
- Ice Beam
- Substitute

Bulky Offensive Core:

Goodra @ Choice Band
Ability: Sap Sipper
EVs: 68 HP / 252 Atk / 188 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Outrage
- Earthquake
- Power Whip
- Iron Tail/Dragon Tail

Blastoise @ Blastoisinite
EVs: 192 HP / 252 SpA / 64 Spe
Modest Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Dark Pulse
- Dragon Pulse
- Rapid Spin

This is a core that I've used to a lot of success on bulky offense. Choice Banded Goodra is probably my favorite surprise wall-breaker, capable of OHKO or 2HKOing everything that people normally switch into Goodra like Blissey, Porygon2, Umbreon, Florges, etc. With Power Whip, it's capable of 2HKOing the bulkiest of water types like Suicune and Alomomola. Iron Tail surprises and kills the fairies of the tier. The speed EVs I've posted outspeed Adamant Honchkrow and defensive base 100s, and is generally a really good speed for offensive Pokemon to hit. Mega Blastoise is the standard bulky spinner/specially attacking monster, but it really has amazing synergy with Banded Goodra and the two form a really great core together. Blastoise's speed EVs outspeed defensive Suicune so you can hit it before it sets up Calm Minds. Hydro Pump over Scald/Water Pulse to make it a lot harder for Sableye to spinblock you and for more power in general.

Goodra easily switches into the Shaymins, Roserades, and Raikous that Blastoise hates and can often get a +1 boost in the process. Goodra can then decimate any of the previously mentioned switchins or really anything else that might want to come in. In return, Mega Blastoise benefits heavily from Goodra luring and killing the specially defensive Pokemon and has plenty of room to put huge dents in opposing teams once they are removed by Goodra.

This core is gonna benefit massively from Togekiss leaving the tier (I made and used it when Togekiss wasn't even here).

Rain Offense Core:

While not a very common play style in the XY UU meta game, rain offence should never be underestimated as many players tend not to prepare for it and are easily overwhelmed by the offensive nature of these teams.
The unrivaled speed tiers of swift swim Pokemon in conjunction with rain boosted water attacks are a unique combination in this meta as nearly all team archetypes struggle with this play style.

The following is the backbone of UU rain offence:

Tornadus (M) @ Damp Rock
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Rain Dance
- Hurricane
- Superpower
- U-turn

Torn thanks to prankster is easily the best rain setter in the tier, It also of course makes Hurricane 100 percent accurate.
superpower and U-turn are great moves on this mon as flying/fighting is a very dangerous combination and U-turn is useful for momentum.

Kabutops @ Life Orb
Ability: Swift Swim
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Stone Edge
- Waterfall
- Aqua Jet

Kabu is the best physical rain sweeper in UU with access to SD,priority,good typing and even rapid spin.
The moves and spread are pretty self explanatory.(Fodder please)

These two cover each others weaknesses perfectly as Torn loves Kabu's counters such as Chesnaught and Shaymin while Kabu finds opportunities to set up on specially defensive Pokemon such as Blissey and Florges who can eat Hurricanes. Here are a just a couple of other RAINcommendations :3 of Pokemon that that can work well with these two:

Offensive Core:

Rhyperior @ Choice Band
Ability: Solid Rock
EVs: 176 HP / 252 Atk / 80 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Megahorn
- Aqua Tail

Metagross @ Life Orb
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 224 Atk / 160 SpA / 124 Spe
Naughty Nature
- Meteor Mash
- Earthquake
- Grass Knot
- Hidden Power Fire / Bullet Punch / Stealth Rock

OR

Metagross @ Choice Band
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Meteor Mash
- Earthquake
- Zen Headbutt
- Bullet Punch / Trick / Explosion

The premise of this core is to wear down each other's counters so that the other can easily wallbreak for a win-condition. I don't know about anyone else, but when I see both mons together, it just screams "Bulky Waters, please switch in for free Stealth Rocks/Calm Mind/Spin". Ground types such as Hippowdon and Donphan also easily beat both mons. However, this is assuming both mons are running standard sets, Rhyperior running SR Tank and Meta running Agility/SR. When you use underrated sets for both mons, the tables flip COMPLETELY. Now, no Water type wants to switch in on a CB EQ/LO Grass Knot in fear of getting killed immediately or within the next turn. Ground types also get bopped by powerful moves. Most importantly, both mons are actually very threatening both offensively and defensively, instead of being medicore in both catagories. The surprise factor of the 2 sets, along with the power, is very helpful to a number of teams and I would definitely recommend it to teams that need a powerful wallbreaking core. Some partners I think are helpful are Ghost, Fairies, and Dark types, particularly Scarf Hydreigon (if you aren't CB Gross)

Speaking about it, CB Gross can be helpful as well, as the power increase is helpful and the STAB priority / crippling Trick are helpful to teams that need it. However, if you don't run Trick or Explosion, it'll be a little harder to beat Water types, and Explosion is kinda not recommended for obvious reasons :/ it's an ok option though.

252+ Atk Choice Band Rhyperior Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Suicune: 186-220 (46 - 54.4%) -- 97.7% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

252+ Atk Choice Band Rhyperior Earthquake vs. 240 HP / 252+ Def Swampert: 220-259 (54.8 - 64.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

252+ Atk Choice Band Rhyperior Earthquake vs. 200 HP / 0 Def Mega Blastoise: 243-286 (69.6 - 81.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

252+ Atk Choice Band Rhyperior Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Hippowdon: 183-216 (43.5 - 51.4%) -- 7.4% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

160 SpA Life Orb Metagross Grass Knot (100 BP) vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Suicune: 190-224 (47 - 55.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery (Metagross outspeeds next turn)

160 SpA Life Orb Metagross Grass Knot (80 BP) vs. 240 HP / 0 SpD Swampert: 369-437 (92 - 108.9%) -- 87.5% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

160 SpA Life Orb Metagross Grass Knot (100 BP) vs. 200 HP / 0 SpD Mega Blastoise: 190-224 (54.4 - 64.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

160 SpA Life Orb Metagross Grass Knot (120 BP) vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Hippowdon: 330-390 (78.5 - 92.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

Balance Core

Aggron @ Aggronite
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 248 HP / 136 Def / 120 SpD
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Heavy Slam
- Earthquake
- Toxic/Roar/Thunder-Wave

Vaporeon @ Leftovers
EVs: 200 HP / 252 Def / 56 SpD
Calm Nature
IVs: null Atk
- Wish
- Protect
- Scald
- Baton Pass/Heal Bell

Crobat @ Black Sludge
EVs: 40 HP / 252 Atk / 216 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Brave Bird
- U-turn
- Roost
- Defog

This is a mixed defensive core that I've been really enjoying and seeing more of lately. It's prepared to handle most offensive threats in the game and can deal out hits pretty effectively as well. Aggron is bait for Fire and Fighting types so Vape handles the fire types like Darm while Crobat handles the fighting types like CB Cham that causes the other two some issues. Vaporeon lures in mons like Toxicroak and Grass types such as Shaymin, so just Baton Pass on the switch and get a free switch to Bat to either fire off a Brave Bird of keep up momentum and U-turn. Finally Crobat lures in steel types like Rachi and opposing Maggron, the first of which is dealt by your own Maggron and the second of which is dealt by Vape. This core kind of depreciates in value with Zygarde staying in the tier as the Sub Coil set can hurt it pretty badly, but running this core with Whims/Rose/Aroma helps alleviate the problem of Zygarde. EV spreads are fairly standard, but they can be tweaked to preference.

Offensive Core

Delphox @ Choice Specs
Ability: Blaze
Timid Nature
- Switcheroo
- Psyshock
- Overheat
- Grass Knot

Lucario @ Life Orb
Ability: Justified
Adamant/Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Extreme Speed
- Close Combat
- Iron Tail/Ice Punch/Bullet Punch/Earthquake/Crunch

An extremely effective offensive core which I put to use on a team that got me to ~1630 on the ladder. Delphox lures in dark types and special walls like Hydriegon, Blissey, Umbreon, Goodra, Diancie, Empoleon, etc. all of which can either be bopped by Luke or used as setup bait. Lucario baits in nothing because nothing wants to switch into it fairy types (if it's not running Iron Tail), Sableye(which Delphox can come in on Will-O-Wisp), and Tentacruel (Delphox can switch in, but if you predict the switchin, you can double into it and bop something), for Delphox to put in work against. In this core the last coverage move should usually be Earthquake because Chandelure and Tentacruel threaten the core, or Bullet Punch in order to kill M-Aerodactyl, which is a huge threat to this core, while also hitting fairies hard; of course the final slot should be dependent on the makeup of your team and what threats you struggle with. For an offensive core, they have solid defensive synergy, only sharing a ground weakness, which can be compensated for by other teammates.
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/uu-177283752

Last edited:
Balance Core

Zygarde @ Leftovers
Ability: Aura Break
Evs: 252 HP/ 132 SpD/ 120 Atk/ Def
Nature: Careful/ Adamant
Moves:
-Coil
-Substitute
-Dragon Tail
-Earthquake

Moves:
-Scald
-Acid Spray
-Toxic Spikes
-Rapid Spin

Aromatisse @ Leftovers
Evs: 252 HP/ 252 Def/ 4 whatever
Moves:
-Wish
-Protect
-Moonblast
-Aromatherapy

I really enjoy toxic spikes + Coil Zygarde as it really helps to weaken his checks and counters. There are still a few things that have to be dealt with first, but thats what the rest of the team is for. Firstly bulky zygarde is a good choice for the set, the hp gives you 101 subs so you can setup on blissey. The spdef lets you tank two scalds from uninvested bulky waters before your sub breaks, and the rest is dumped into attack, or hp if you want. Tentacruel is a good partner due to resisting ice and fairy as well as giving the core toxic spikes + rapid spin. Aromatisse is a good partner aswell on a bulkier zygarde team as it lets you deal with things like Hydreigon and Infiltrator Noivern which would otherwise destroy you. Also give it wish support to get zygarde and the team healthy again.

Partners to this core would need to check things like Encore Whimsicott, Shaymin and Ground Types. Rotom-H is an excellent partner to do all of these things. The set with choice specs, trick and Will-o-wisp is a great choice.

I cannot get any replays at this time due to showdown being down, sorry :[

CoolStoryBrobat

The hero Smogon needs, but not the one it deserves
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Balance Core

Zygarde @ Leftovers
Ability: Aura Break
Evs: 252 HP/ 132 SpD/ 120 Atk/ Def
Nature: Careful/ Adamant
Moves:
-Coil
-Substitute
-Dragon Tail
-Earthquake

Firstly bulky zygarde is a good choice for the set, the hp gives you 101 subs so you can setup on blissey. The spdef lets you tank two scalds from uninvested bulky waters before your sub breaks, and the rest is dumped into attack, or hp if you want.
Wouldn't 188 HP be more efficient since that's all Zygarde needs for 404 HP (to make 101 HP Substitutes)? That'd allow you to invest more in SpD or even Speed if you so wish.

Wouldn't 188 HP be more efficient since that's all Zygarde needs for 404 HP (to make 101 HP Substitutes)? That'd allow you to invest more in SpD or even Speed if you so wish.
I thought It was 188 hp, sorry I sorta typed out the set by hand. Yeah thats the better way to run it since it creates 101 subs and lets you setup on blissey.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)