[UU] Team Beginning UU

SlottedPig

sem feio
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
-----
Introduction
-----

Hello!

Some of you may know me, as I have recently been rating a lot of teams. Now I'm going to post my own team, and you, the legendary Smogon, can help improve it!

Warning: this is a block of text Bob the Builder couldn't boast of.

Now, this team is UU. I primarily play OU, but after watching a UU battle I understood it was an amazing tier. Not only is the tier itself larger than OU (though only by 1), which helps to my favorite kind of play, Luring and Suprising, but it was also expanded into TWO tiers, with a total of 147 viable Pokemon (including Hippopotas, Magneton, Chansey, Clamperl, Pikachu, and Trapinch as the viable UU / NUs)!

I know there are a lot of Good-Team posters out here on Smogon, and you know the amount of time it takes to create good presentation. Well, to give you an idea, this mediocrely presented team only took half the time of creating the first draft of the team!

Also, the team has alot of Yu-Gi-Oh! themed stuff, such as names and quotes.

The team itself was created, recreated 6 times. One rule remained the same. I was to use the Fire / Grass / Water combination, because I understood it was amazing. After I built the second draft, I understood I did not want to have any Choice Pokemon because that is golden time for a resistor to setup.

So I delved into this mysterious tier to rise through the ranks. (Yes, I'm the average Not Wifi-ing Shoddy-er!)

So, the proclaimed legendary Smogon, its time you met ....

-----
Team Beginning UU
-----

-----
Team Concept:
Bulky Offense or Balance?
-Without Balance, one cannot be a complete Duelist. -Jack Atlas, Yu-Gi-Oh! 5D's (002)
-----

As I noted, I was going to use a UU team with the Fire / Grass / Water combination. However, I did want some kind of type synergy and for the most part, offense with defense capabilities built into it, which is really the trend right now UU and OU. The team can get around Item Clause and is by far my best attempt at a balanced team, any tier, thus far. I also agreed to the myth, true or untrue, that the Lead of a team holds it together. A good one gains Momentum and kicks your team off well in perfect circumstances, so that it what I spent practically double the time of crafting the other 5 Pokemon. I looked over half of Smogon to create the movesets, and here it is! Additionally, Team Beginning UU's name is a knockoff of Beginning Anew, and after all, I was Beginning Anew AND Beginning UU at the same time. For a little background and what seems to be on practically every advanced players' RMT (although there are certainly much better players than me out here on Smogon), I will note that I win much more than otherwise with this team. (Screw you, Dunsparce!)

-----

To Be Done Soon:
  • Threat List. If you are reading this, more than likely I've reserved a post for it. Defensive and Offensive will be displayed seperately, and by alphebetical order.
  • Changes are in underline. A nifty tool to see the slow change of any team!
-----

So, without further adieu, lets take an in-depth look to the Beginner's Castle of the team Beginning UU!

-----

The Core: Any self-respecting team rater would have read my Intro and Team Concept, and I mentioned several times that I used a Fire / Water / Grass combo. Well, the Core is just that. In the way of defense, it is more focused on defeating threats than type synergy, which I feel is far more important. Independent, they all gain type coverage that would make Mew proud.

The Core consists of:

-----

Turbo Warrior the (M) Arcanine @ Lum Berry
~ExtremeSpeed
~Flare Blitz
~Hidden Power [Grass]
~Toxic
Nature: Adamant (+Atk, -SpA)
EVs: 192 HP / 252 Atk / 64 Spe
Ability: Intimidate

Set Name: Anti-Lead Arcanine

Anyone who has played UU in the recent month will know of this legendary set discovered by Legacy Raider. It aims to take advantage of STAB Flare Blitz, a high Attack Score, ExtremeSpeed and Intimidate to serve as an effective Anti-Lead. Most offensive teams (although admittedly mine simply can't catch up with those hyperoffensive teams such as Rain Dance) as mine would rather kick off to a 6-5 up start rather than set up rocks (although my team is not without).

Flare Blitz and ExtremeSpeed together can defeat most Focus Sash leads, Roserade who is made possible thanks to Lum Berry, and importantly 2HKOs Electrode (so I can waste 2 turns without losing any Pokemon, and that turn Arcanine is KO'd wastes another turn) Hidden Power [Grass] is primarily for Suicide Leads Kabutops and Omastar, as 211 SpA is not hurting much, activating the Focus Sashes of them both, which in turn, leads to an obvious ExtremeSpeed. Proper prediction means I can catch a Ghost, bulky Rock or Steel (preferably not a ResTalk Rotom, among others) badly poisoned.

Arcanine was added as the captain to my team after much testing by my friend. Also being tested at the time were Scarfed Charizard and Moltres, Protect Focus Sash Roserade, and Mixed Cloyster. Arcanine won, being able to provide the best utility move outside of being a lead: ExtremeSpeed, which is important to muzzle the omnipresent Sub / Endurers aiming to take advantage of the lack of a reliable auto-weatherer.

Because Arcanine is so threatening in itself, most players would rather send in a Fire-type check than a Physical Wall that can heal itself - which I play completely to my advantage. Arcanine has more than one friend with this lazy, not-on-duty once-guarddog, and Water or Rock Types are much easier to counter, than, say, Miltank.

Arcanine is also the first of my "Suiciders." These pokemon use high-recoil moves to let another Pokemon get in free while dealing amazing damage. Having Suiciders is an important theme of my team, as it prevents my Pokemon to prevent from being setup fodder to Umbreon.

Arcanine's EV spread is rather simple and swiped straight from the SmogonDex analysis page, letting it outspeed +Spe Base 60s (as it can ExtremeSpeed those faster than it) while giving it a good amount of HP EVs to bulk it up and minimize Flare Blitz recoil. Max ATK EVs means a more powerful ExtremeSpeed.

Arcanine is named Turbo Warrior. Turbo Warrior is a red-color Monster Card. Needless to say, Arcanine is also red. Stacking on top of that is Turbo Warrior's name. Arcanine is certainly a Warrior with that bite and is fast enough to be Turbo. In fact, it learns Agility which I'm suprised noone uses (considering decent Mixed Stats and Special Movepool).

-----

Road Warrior the (F) (***) Azumarill @ Life Orb
~Aqua Jet
~Focus Punch
~Ice Punch
~Waterfall
Nature: Adamant (+Atk, -SpA)
EVs: 112 HP / 216 Atk / 180 Spe
Ability: Huge Power

Set Name: Life Orb

Like most commonly Choiced Pokemon, this brand of Azumarill mixes Choice Band's power boost and freedom to switch moves for a better sweeper. The EVs are tweaked myself, and additionally Azumarill adds an all-important second Priority attack into the mix.

Aqua Jet is a no-brainer for any Azumarill, backed up with Waterfall for reliable STAB primarily used for wall-breaking. Ice Punch dispenses of Grass and Flying types. Focus Punch is Azumarill's all-out attack and is easy to use as when switching in, it gains no Leftovers recovery (which makes people think it's Banded and switch). SubPunch Azumarill is powerful, but Life Orb gives it's powers a new dimension! Substitute and Double-Edge are avoided on this set because it drains off too much HP of a key member of my team (although Life Orb + Double-Edge would make a nice Suicider in theory, Swellow's better for that with Guts, 12% indirect damage instead of 10%, and higher Speed).

Azumarill was HeYSuP's suggestion. My team would be wrecked if Magmortar got a free switchin, and my Bulky Water at the time was 2HKOd by LO Fire Blast + Thunderbolt. Azumarill survives a raw Thunderbolt and OHKOs it with Aqua Jet (and speaking of Aqua Jet the move gave me some insurance against Swellow).

Azumarill can 2HKO most (not-) Leafeon / Meganium Grass Types with Ice Punch. The most common Grass Types are easily downed in 2 switchins, although Jumpluff is easily OHKOd (and even if it isn't nailed on the switch, Azumarill doesn't switch out if Sleep Clause is already activated, since Jumpluff never carries STAB moves).

Azumarill is the least-recoil-inducing Suicider. 418 Atk Life Orb Focus Punch + Waterfall easily disposes of Umbreon, however, and Azumarill can threaten many candidates in a stall-team (Altaria, Moltres, Chansey,Hippopotas, Drapion, Rotom) with easy 2HKOs. I think that Azumarill fits into, moreso, the 'Never Get Setupped' theme than the Suiciding theme.

As mentioned, this Watery Runny Babbit's EV spread is custom-tailored to send special Pokemon to their watery graves.
112 HP EVs grants a Life Orb number, 369, allowing 11 turns of attack, while giving more bulk than other Life Orb HP numbers. 180 Spe grants more Speed than standard 16 Spe Hitmontop, so after a Close Combat, Technitop is easily outsped (assuming Mach Punch is used) and OHKOd. To get the most total Stat points, I use Adamant nature (Attack is obviously her best point) and the 216 leftover EVs into Attack to beef her up (Azumarill is still more powerful than 252 / Adamant SubPunching Azumarill, thanks to Life Orb).

Azumarill is my Road Warrior. Like the Warrior, Azumarill is yellow. Additionally, Road Warrior's effect is to summon 1 Level 2 Warrior or Machine to the field. Let's focus on that. Venusaur is my main 'warrior,' and Azumarill easily crashes down Venusaur's #1 counter, Altaria, with a powerful Ice Punch. Azumarill doesn't help my Machine, Rotom, much, though.
-----

Nitro Warrior the (M) Venusaur @ Salac Berry
~Earthquake
~Seed Bomb
~Substitute
~Swords Dance
Nature: Jolly (+Spe, -SpA)
EVs: 12 HP / 244 Atk / 252 Spe
Ability: Overgrow

Set Name: SubSalac (Physical) Venusaur

This handcrafted Venusaur set is simply amazing. In fact, on Shoddy Battle, I originally accidentally gave it 0 ATK EVs and it still worked stupendously. Like the UU form of SubPetaya Empoleon, it is quite simply a great late game cleaner and easily my MVP.

This Venusaur mops up the mess my Core makes beforehand. There is an amazing number of Pokemon that cannot dent Venusaur at all, having only a STAB Grass move to attack opponents. Substitute makes sure walls are forced to attack and puts Venusaur in pinch range. Swords Dance is Venusaur's stat move of choice, powering up Seed Bomb to insane levels after factoring in Overgrow and Venusaur gets enough free turns to usually use them more than once. Earthquake will maim Fire Types, particularly Blaziken. Most Blaziken are either Scarfed, which will be guranteed to be outsped after a Salac Berry boost because of a tendency not to run max Speed EVs, or Agility, who relies on having +2 Spe rather than raw Spe.

I knew I wanted a lategame SubBoost, Pinch Berry + Pinch Ability sweeper after being swept so many times by Empoleon in OU. That left only the starters and Swarmers. The swamers didn't have any means of Boosting themselves, so that was out of the question. Thankfully, many of the starters had Boost abilities. Sceptile and Blaziken had Swords Dance and Agility, Charizard had Belly Drum, Swords Dance and Dragon Dance, and Venusaur had Swords Dance and Growth. I originally chose a Growth Venusaur because of bulk, mainly because I wondered what physical attacks it could use should I opt for Swords Dance. Venusaur actually gains quite decent coverage, only walled by Flying Types (when I had 0 Atk EVs, +2 Overgrow Seed Bomb still 2HKOd Xatu, though), such as Altaria, who takes 7% from a raw Seed Bomb - not even Grass Types can take oncoming onslaught.

Venusaur takes most advantage of Luring but is not the best at it. Out of the four most common Grass Types in UU, Jumpluff, Sceptile, Venusaur and Roserade, Jumpluff cannot touch Venusaur at all once the beloved RBY plant gets its Sub up. Opposing Venusaur are too obsessed with using Sleep Powder and "winning the speed tie" that they are automatic setup fodder, and only muster 32-43% to my own Venusaur. My Venusaur does 25-30% to other Venusaurs with Earthquake, so with a Swords Dance my Venusaur can almost always 2HKO other Venusaur with Stealth Rock up while mantaining alot of health in the process. Roserade and Sceptile are more problematic, but Roserade can be setup fodder with one bad prediction of Sleep Powder and the low Defense they both share means +2 Overgrow Seed Bomb inflicts heavy damage on them. The next most common Grass Type, Meganium, often uses only Energy Ball to attack and is a golden Pokemon to set up on.

Though 4 in my Pokemon Roster are Suiciders, Venusaur doesn't have to. Thanks to Substitute and Swords Dance, it doesn't need to, as Substitute blocks any Mean Look or Yawn from Umbreon and Umbreon is actually setup fodder. Unlike common Belly Drummers, Venusaur has more than once chance to sweep. Seed Bomb and Earthquake actually have alot of super-effective targets in UU and Venusaur can use them to lure and batter his counters before he attempts a sweep, and additionally Swords Dance does not sacrifice HP like Belly Drum does.

Something key in all SubBoosters is having HP divisible by 4, this makes them able to activate their pinch Berry with 3 Subs (implying no residual damage). There were 2 ways to do this: 30 HP IVs or 12 HP EVs. I chose 12 HP EVs because I like bulk over power. The lack of Attack has not proved a curse (come on, I even used no Attack EVs for a good amount of time).

Venusaur is my Nitro Warrior because it is Yusei's most powerful Warrior card. Nitro Warrior is also green, which ties in perfectly to Venusaur. Nitro Warrior's Special Effect means opponents are also 'forced into Attack Mode,' which is also a good knockoff of using Substitute and forcing enemies to attack.

-----

The Defensive Duo: These pokemon don't just sponge attacks from both sides of the spectrum, they also cover most of each other's weaknesses and attack from each side of the spectrum while also adding one more Suicider.

The Defensive Duo consists of:

-----

Junk Synchron the (?) Registeel @ Leftovers
~Earthquake
~Explosion
~Iron Head
~Stealth Rock
Nature: Careful (+SpD, -SpA)
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 252 HP / 100 Atk / 156 SpD

Set Name: UU Special Tank Registeel

Registeel may have an additional weakness, less HP and less SpD than Chansey as a Special Tank, but it has a plethora of useful resistances that greatly outnumber it's weaknesses, actual attack options, and Explosion.

Registeel, being the most competent defense, has numerous options to attack numerous enemies. Iron Head is the weakest STAB in UU, but it's the best Registeel's got by way of reliable STAB. Earthquake provides a way to attack Steel Types, but mainly softens up Fire Types as Registeel can usually survive a Fire Blast from Magmortar or Blaziken and strike back. Stealth Rock gives Registeel a good support option that further wears down Fire types, and when Registeel's use goes down to it, it can literally blow up a large chunk of a threatening sweeper's HP, such as Feraligatr who thinks of Registeel as a minor threat and Dragon Dances or a Blaziken who saw Iron Head but not Earthquake.

Registeel is THE defense of the team. Milotic may have Recover, but lack of Leftovers and many useful resistances demolishes what could have been so much more. Rotom has little over half of Registeel's Base HP and Defenses and no form of recovery. One of the Regi's is on practically every team. Registeel is Regice's godbrother of Special Defense. Although it doesn't have the best raw defending stats, it has the sole best defending type, considering resistances, and the tools to overcome one of his weaknesses - not to mention Explosion. Factoring in all of these I knew Registeel was my pick because Regice's Explosion is pathetic and Regirock has mediocre HP / Special Defense.

Registeel draws Fire Types like a magnet and can smack them with heavy Stealth Rock damage and an Earthquake that 2HKOs the majority. Registeel can't touch Moltres, but Life Orb Moltres' Fire Blast cannot melt this metal and Registeel can Explode.

Neither of the Suiciders in the Core can do as much damage, to themself or to the opponent, than the 2 Suiciders that aren't in it. Explosion is completely unrivaled in power, and more than capable of taking down a non-Ghost (and realistically only Rotom and Mismagius are competent ghosts). Additionally, Iron Head and Earthquake hit the Rock and Steel Types, respectively, that resist it.

Registeel is a mixed tank, and it's important to take advantage of this aspect. Maxing out his worst defensive stat, HP, is always the first course of action. 100 Atk EVs is a good benchmark to 2HKO Mismagius after it uses Substitute once and the rest is poured into Special Defense to absorb hits from Yanmega, Mismagius, Roserade and friends a ton easier.

Registeel is Junk Synchron, because it certainly isn't a Warrior with those piddly offenses, and it is a whole pile of junk in your trunk. Also, Synchro-Monsters combine with other Monsters to create more powerful Monsters. Registeel can set up Rocks, instantly making my sweepers more threatening, and Explosion can take out a key counter.

-----

Road Synchron the (?) Rotom @ Chesto Berry
~Rest
~Shadow Ball
~Thunderbolt
~Will-O-Wisp
Nature: Timid (+Spe, -Atk)
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 128 Def / 128 Spe

Set Name: Will-O-Wisp Sweeper Buffer

Rotom is usually found ResTalking in a tier that Mismagius outclasses it offensively. But a problem with ResTalking is being restricted to 2 attacks...

Rotom uses the capability of Rest to gain HP and coverage. Shadow Ball can give Rotom a good way to hit Mismagius, whereas Thunderbolt and Will-O-Wisp are obvious to take on physical threats.

Rotom's unique type allows it to absorb Fighting, Bug, Flying, Normal, and Ground attacks with ease and burn a physical attacker. Rest and Chesto Berry gives 100% recovery for one time, which is extremely useful in sponging Physical attacks. As a plus, it absorbs Rapid Spin. The most common Rapid Spinner, though, Hitmontop, almost always has Foresight. While potentially it won't always be able to block Rapid Spin, it can of course halve attack!

The only thing of note Rotom can lure - although almost sure firedly, - is Drapion. Drapion's SpA means it only uses physical Attacks, which is going to be crippled by Will-O-Wisp. After that, Rotom can safely switch to Registeel with no fear of Pursuit because it is going to do measly damage.

Rotom isn't a Suicider, and can't really defeat Umbreon. He's also by far my weakest link, but useful in defeating the Fighters that are everywhere in UU. He glues the team together by providing Burn support that is the final straw holding Venusaur's Substitutes together, and unlike Mismagius hoards some incredible resistances such as Flying and Bug.

Rotom has pitiful Base defenses (50/77) but with Burn Support, his defenses are given a whole new dimension. Maximizing HP is the best way to maximize defensive capability with 252 EVs on Rotom, who has pitiful base HP. Timid Nature and 128 Spe EVs puts Rotom at 275 Spe EVs, just above Jolly Absol, so it can smack it with Burn before it can Night Slash.

Rotom, like Registeel, can't sweep for his life. Road Synchron is the only Yellow Synchron, which ties in not with Color but Type. Electric Type relates to Yellow, and Road Synchron is [Machine / Tuner]. Rotom's appliances are all machines.

-----

The Backup Sweeper:This is nessescary for all Bulky Offense teams. There's a Pokemon that everyone tries to setup for, but who's the 2nd most reliable sweeper if that Pokemon has fainted? You can't gurantee a sweep. If that Pokemon does sweep, this is the Pokemon who weakens the opposition the most, and if it doesn't, vice versa.

(This is One Pokemon, so there is no point in posting it's picture twice.)

Junk Warrior the (F) Swellow @ Flame Orb
~Brave Bird
~Facade
~Quick Attack
~U-Turn
Nature: Jolly (+Spe, -SpA)
Ability: Guts
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe

Set Name: Guts Activation

Though Staraptor has taken the boot, the threat of a powerful Normal / Flying still remains. Swellow gives up bulk (in Intimidate) and a chunk of Attack for the amazing ability Guts, U-Turn, and two 120+ Base Power STABs.

With Flame Orb and Guts doubling his Attack, Swellow has two 120+ Base Power STABs to work with. Normal and Flying isn't Fighting / Flying, but the only noticable things that can resist it are Rock and Steel Types and Rotom. Swellow typically gets in on Ground-type attacks to auto-activate Flame Orb, and from there Facade can wreck the opposing team. U-Turn lets it hop out of Rock and Steel Types, both of who can be set up on by Venusaur, and Quick Attack can beat other priority users that rely on priority instead of speed (and Scarfed Fighters locked into Close Combat).

I knew I didn't want any Choice Pokemon on my team, because that was a ticket for a Pokemon that resisted the attack to stat up. There was an amazing number of Pokemon that could sweep a team in one turn of statup. Swellow, I knew, was amazing without a Choice Band and could deal x1.5 attack high-Base Power strikes.

Swellow's main target when luring is Spiritomb and Rotom. Once lured, Swellow can hop out with U-Turn immediately and have them face-up with a counter. By wearing his enemies down with Guts U-Turns, he can then eliminate them with a powerful 140 Base Power Guts STAB Facade.

Swellow is one of the most powerful non-Choice / Life Orb attackers, with Guts amplifying his Attack and two 120+ BP STABs to work with. Additionally, he can Suicide with Flame Orb and Brave Bird eating up his HP, along with Stealth Rock, so he can let a Pokemon more suitable for fighting take his place. He's the king of Suicide, and to show you how powerful his Brave Bird is, it gets the guranteed 2HKO on Spiritomb with Stealth Rock up (implying that the first Brave Bird is without Guts).

Not many options with Swellow. Jolly and 252 Spe EVs for maximum Speed capabilities and 252 Atk EVs for maximum damage. The only real thing I made sure of was that the final 4 EVs were NOT put into HP because that meant he could switch into Stealth Rock one extra time (implying no other damage).

-----
Team Building Process
After I saw an RMT labeled "Physical Sacrificial Offense," a team based on not letting enemies set up and suiciding to let a more fitting teammate get in, I knew I wanted to make my own. The team was an OU-tier assort, one in which I had little success, so I journeyed where many say they enjoyed far more: the UU tier!

---

The lead is always the Pokemon I customize first. After that, everything seems to fall together synergetically. I'm weird, but that's how it happens.

As a side note, I also knew I wanted the Fire / Grass / Water combination. It was a simply amazing Offense and Defense combo, mainly in UU because OU hates most Fire types.

I knew I wanted to use a Fire-type here, because I didn't like any of the UU Fires that were neutral to Stealth Rock. At the beginning, they could wreak havoc before the deadly Rocks were set up. I tested Scarf Moltres originally, but concluded with Legacy Raider's Lead 'Canine in the end.

---

After seeing it crush me far too many times in OU, I knew I also wanted a pinch-berry, pinch ability sweeper. An example would be the Agility SubPetaya Empoleon, doubling a stat and using Substitute to activate a berry and special effect to sweep with ease.

This left - as a lead and a main sweeper weak to SR is never good - Venusaur, Feraligatr, Sceptile, Blaziken, and Torterra. I chose Venusaur as it was the best stallbreaker. Not only could it setup with ease on any non-Encoring pure Staller in UU, it also had the nifty ability to absorb Toxic Spikes by switching in, had nice bulk that went nicely to it's 4x Grass Resist which has always been incredible (Meganium's Energy Ball = 7%) and could scare many Pokemon with the threat of Sleep Powder - although the type coverage isn't incredible.

Originally I used Growth, but Chansey walled that too easily - Venusaur lacked 101 Subs. While it could 2HKO with +6 Energy Ball in Overgrow Range, it'd be hard to get +6 without incredible prediction (or a terrible opponent), and if I got paralyzed, I'd be done for. I gave up the incredible Grass / Rock type coverage for less wallability (although now Altaria gives me blues... thankfully my other Pokemon handle it well.).

---

A Water-Type and my Core would be complete. I knew I wanted a doubly offensive and defensive Water. Milotic's Life Orb Tank worked splendidly, 2HKOing practically half of UU while mantaining good defense to Fire and Water Types.

---

With my Core done, I now wanted a twosome of defense. First was Special Defense. Regice worked nicely, but the weakness to Stealth Rock, an extremely weak Explosion, and lack of many good resistances led to its' downfall.

At the moment, I was also testing Physical Defense.

Since I couldn't really find something for either, I used Registeel. In theorymon it would be incredible thanks to 150 base defenses, an even better typing, accessibility to Stealth Rock and resistance to it, and a stronger Explosion than Regice.

It worked >:).

---

This spot was to be occupied by a Physical Wall. At the time Special Walling was being tested.

Once I secured Registeel I practically had it planned. The Physical Wall - so to speak, "Sweeper Buffer," as it's raw walling is terrible - would be accompanied by a Calm Mind Mismagius who, tripled as a Spin Blocker, Secondary Sweeper, and anti-UU Fighter.

I was spectating an OU match (yeah, I know right, OU while I'm making UU) and one guy was using a UU team. There was a Rotom on the UU (stall) team and a Rotom-H on the OU (bulky offense) team.

On each side, Rotom was doubtlessly the MVP as each time it switched in, which averaged 8 a piece, it was on a resisted attack. All of Rotom's resistances gave me inspiration, and the commonness of WoW on Rotom-Appliances, which I encountered so much in what was my hometown, OU, secured it's spot as my Sweeper Buffer, and really took a more Stallish spin to Mismagius' spot.

---
My secondary Sweeper. Originally I built the team wholesome on synergy, but as my first four Pokemon resist every Type, I used this as a wildcard.

I wanted it to be Physical, as lategame if Chansey was active it would be dead weight if Special, and that it could break down Venusaur's counters earlier-game.

Swellow and Scyther were tough contenders, but Swellow won out for being able to use Quick Attack more effectively, and thus be a better revenger, didn't violate Item Clause (Milotic and Scyther both held Life Orb) and that Scyther had a huge weakness to Stealth Rock, and 2 switch-ins + 1 turn of Life Orb recoil = dead bug.

Ironically, Swellow is walled by Rock-Types, who Venusaur thrashes, which was not the intended plan. Unfortunately, both are walled by Steel-Types (although there's only Registeel and Steelix by way of good UU Steels)

-----
This was the team's longest lasting draft as it is my most successful. Any further changes will be found in the In-Depth look because it is quite redundant to add here; why it was changed is found in the In-Depth Look.
-----

Final Glance :

Team Beginning UU in all it's Glory!

Here, Smogon, is my first viable UU team! Hate / Rate / Steal!

-ThePowerWithin
-----
NEW: Retirement Home!

All the has-beens are housed here, ready to take to the team once more.

Shield Wing the (F) Milotic @ Life Orb
~Hidden Power [Grass]
~Hydro Pump
~Ice Beam
~Recover
Nature: Modest (+SpA, -Atk)
EVs: 152 HP / 80 Defense / 56 Spe / 220 Special Attack
Ability: Marvel Scale

Set Name: Life Orb Tank Milotic

This particular brand of Milotic is known by any pro UU player, although a lot snuff it off in favor of a more powerful Water-Type. For this particular team, however, it fits perfectly with an even amount of bulk, status absorbing and particularly power that makes it such a key integral of my team.

Hydro Pump is Milotic's main STAB move. As this Milotic invests heavily in Special Attack (319), the difference between a high-power attack and the reliable Base 95 Attack move is incredibly noticable. Alongside Hidden Power [Grass], which hits Stockpile Gastrodon shall Milotic go for the suicide kill, and Ice Beam, which generally gives fantastic coverage alongside the Water Move, Milotic attains perfect coverage. Backed up by Life Orb, Milotic gains amazing power that notably allows it to 2HKO Max HP / no SpD (neutral nature) Porygon2. Recover, which is mostly filler, allows Milotic to circumvate Life Orb damage and Choiced Water attacks - Milotic is my chief anti-Azumarill Pokemon.

Milotic was given the nod after I saw one in action. Back in the day of nUU, I witnessed it completely destroy a team... an OU team! Other candidates for a non-lead Water Type were few and far between, but notably Milotic beat Blastoise and Azumarill, the closest two to Milotic's role, thanks to the nifty Recover.

Milotic is easily the most successful at my Luring strategy. It brings in Roserade like a pro and easily OHKOs it with Ice Beam, should Stealth Rock be up. Although it has no way of beating Chansey, all other Grass Types have less SpD than Roserade or are slower than Milotic and a handful have both. This means with proper prediction Milotic can take out Grass Types with Ice Beam before they retaliate.

Milotic plays as the second "Suicider" on my team. Although 10% is certainly a low amount to whittle down each turn, let's be realistic. Most of the time, Milotic is taking a minor amount of damage on the turn it switches in, plus entry hazard damage. Milotic doesn't have Leftovers, either. Every time Milotic switches in and attacks, it is feeling pain. Its ironic, but I'm grateful that Milotic gets this damage. It allows it to suicide out of an Umbreon at low health if needbe, but is also low enough to heal it off with Recover.

Milotic's EV spread comes directly off of RaikouLover's Life Orb Tank set, and thus is the explanation. "
With a Modest nature and 220 Special Attack EVs, Milotic reaches its highest bonus possible bonus point total at 319, which makes it an effective wallbreaker. Hydro Pump has enough juice to score 2HKOs on most Uxie, Spritomb, and Registeel, as well as a very slight chance to 2HKO Clefable. The rest of the EVs were put into defenses to make it an effective check against fire pokemon. Arcanine will never manage a 2HKO with Choice Banded Extremespeed while Stealth Rock is in play, and (non-Specs / Life Orb) Moltres is unable to 3HKO with Air Slash despite the lack of leftovers." - RaikouLover

Milotic is named Shield Wing as it is the most reliable defense on my team with Recover, along with a tail that looks almost like a wing. You can't honestly see Milotic for the first time in your life and say, "golly, that looks nothing like a bird!," because that's a lie. >_<.

Who Suggested Out? HeySup (Azumarill)

-----

SlottedPig

sem feio
Threat List (Work in Progress)

(UUs listed only, NUs are not viable in competitive play)

OFFENSIVE

Absol
-First Switchin: Registeel. Although most will have Superpower, the -1 Defense means that Swellow can pick it off or no-Night Slash versions get a burn thanks to Rotom. QA > Sucker Punch and 2HKOs with Guts active, if unactive when sent in QA + Facade finishes it.

Ambipom
-Intimidate means Fake Out does low damage and it will likely U-Turn. Toxic will slam the incoming Water, but Toxic + ExtremeSpeed + Life Orb means he can't easily switchin ever again.

Arcanine
-First Switchin: Milotic. Lead versions probably won't use Toxic as all Lead 'Canines have Lum Berry and Milotic can OHKO easily. If my Arcanine has to take a CB Extremespeed to Toxic it, it will, as this thing can threaten most of my guys.

Azumarill
-First switchin: Milotic can exchange attacks, and Hidden Power deals more than Double Edge (including Life Orb, Double-Edge and Leftovers effects). Rotom can burn an Azumarill, easily sponging a CB Waterfall + CB Burned Waterfall to Rest it off and zap it. If its weakened, Swellow and Arcanine can pick it off. SubPunchers can pose a threat but the typical moveset, Sub / Focus Punch / Aqua Jet / Waterfall is completely walled by Venusaur.

Blaziken
-First switchin: Milotic. Milotic easily absorbs Hidden Power [Electric] to douse it with an OHKO. Similarly, Swellow OHKOs with Brave Bird.

Charizard
-First switchin: Arcanine. Belly Drummers pose little threat; the only thing it could possibly switch in on is Venusaur, who can't harm it. Nonetheless, Stealth Rock, double Priority, and Intimidate mean its not often getting its sweep.Rare ScarfLeaders are slammed with Toxic.

Electrode
-Supportive Rain Dance Lead gets slammed with Flare Blitz + ExtremeSpeed. I have to hope it uses Taunt first turn, not Rain Dance, so it doesn't weaken Flare Blitz. If it does, I 2HKO it from there with Extremespeed.

Espeon
-First switchin: Registeel. Registeel easily absorbs EspyJump and Specseon's STAB Psychics, Shadow Balls or Signal Beams and can retaliate with Iron Head. Against EspyJump, when it's obvious Espeon will Baton Pass I use Explosion. Alternatively, Swellow rips off a chunk of its health with Quick Attack.

Feraligatr
-First switchin: Rotom. Rotom threatens with Will-O-Wisp and Thunderbolt. If I'm desperate I'll slash his Attack with Arcanine, and as it Dragon Dances again, seeing no threat, I will retaliate with a Toxic + ExtremeSpeed combo. That tears some HP off and Toxic really limits his sweeping time, especially if he is holding Life Orb, whereas if he is holding Leftovers he loses crucial KOs.

Hitmonlee and Hitmonchan
-Rotom. Burn and Thunderbolt. Need I say more?

Kabutops
-Suicide leads get a taste of Hidden Power [Grass] and ExtremeSpeed, easily KOing. Against Rian Dance sweeprs, I'll slash his ATK with Intimidate and waste an extra turn if it decided to Aqua Jet (+2 -1 Life Orb Aqua Jet in Rain doesn't KO without prior damage). When rain has worn off Rotom can counter it well.

Ludicolo
-First switchin: None! Keep the Pokemon I have and keep attacking unless it's Venusaur, its crucial to stall out Rain turns. The few Rain Dish stallers , I will Toxic with Arcanine and Recover spam with Milotic.

Magmortar
-First switchin: Milotic! Although this certainly has Thunderbolt, most are Specs'ed.

Mismagius

Moltres

Nidoking

Ninetales

Omastar

Poliwrath

Porygon2

Primeape

Roserade

Sceptile

Scyther

Steelix

Swellow

Torterra

Toxicroak

Typhlosion

Yanmega

DEFENSIVE
Blastoise

Chansey

Claydol

Clefable

Drapion

Gardevoir

Hariyama

Hitmonlee

Lanturn

Mesprit

Milotic

Miltank

Muk

Nidoqueen

Porygon2

Regirock

Registeel

Rotom

Sceptile

Scyther

Slowbro

Spiritomb

Steelix

Umbreon

Uxie

Venusaur

Weezing

Yanmega

You're often going to see Regirock or Milotic come in first thing on Arcanine because they're the best switch-ins. Now my issue is, with Milotic you have nothing to be able to KO it. And with Regirock you have nothing to switch into it reliably, as Registeel loses 1v1 to Regirock and your Milotic is a Life Orb variant.

This isn't a huge Problem, since Venusaur can revenge kill or even possibly set up a Swords Dance vs each of those Pokemon, but it's something you may want to think about.

The next thing I see, is a mixed Fire Attacker weakness, namely Magmortar. Blaziken needs to predict much better to KO your team (though you have zero safe switch-ins), but Magmortar can abuse its Speed and KO most of your team. Fire Blast nails Venusaur, Rotom, Registeel, Swellow (it can't switch into anything though), and even does a chunk to Arcanine. Thunderbolt easily takes care of Arcanine from there, and easily KOes Milotic after a Fire Blast too.

I think you should definitely consider changing LO Milotic with Azumarill. Azumarill can at worst survive a Thunderbolt and KO Magmortar back with Aqua Jet, while you are otherwise defenseless versus the fiery beast. Nothing much more can be done, unless you want to switch Milotic with something like Quagsire, but Azumarill gives you an extra priority attacker that really helps with Pokemon like Yanmega and even Absol.

Speaking of Absol, how do you counter it? Your threat list description seems very flawed, because once Absol KOes Registeel, what's stopping it from just switching out and getting another opportunity to Swords Dance yet again?

I think you need to fix this by simply adding some Speed to Rotom. As long as your opponent doesn't severely outplay you, Rotom should be able to take Absol just fine if it catches it with a WoW before it ends up using Night Slash.

To outspeed Adamant absol, Rotom needs 128 Spe EVs, and for Jolly, you need 224 EVs. By this Point, I think you're better off using a Trick Choice Specs Rotom with bulky EVs, but that's another personal preference.

I tried to change the team as little as possible to accomodate for your weaknesses, so I hope this helps.

SlottedPig

sem feio
Thank you for the rate. Your the one who posted the legendary LO Roserade set on-site, aren't you?

I am certainly considering changing Azumarill for a Choice-Band style Life Orb set, as the team's purpose is to not let anything set up.

Against Absol, it is very common in which they Sucker Punch Swellow. If they make this mistake and Swellow is burned beforehand, they are looking at a true Disaster. Sucker Punch fails and is outsped by Swellow's QA, and with Guts, 2HKOs. If I am not yet Burned, I use QA the first turn, predict their (other move that can kill Swellow insert here) and use Facade.

I will swap Rotom's EVs.

-Editing now.-

franky

aka pimpdaddyfranky, aka frankydelaghetto, aka F, aka ef
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Straight to the point.

Weakness:

Lack of wall-breaking so you definitely have a hard time penetrating to Stall Teams. A core of Milotic / Chansey / Registeel can be troublesome, and that's not even 6 pokemon yet. In addition to that, Stall Teams can perform entry hazards and you don't have a spinner and you team is going down soon. SD Absol can be quite troublesome and can wipe the floor on your team without any answer.

How to fix it:

These can all tie up to packing a strong Fighting-type such as Hitmontop and Hariyama. Since you are Absol weak, Hitmontop can do a great job in-place with Venusaur. Sorry for breaking the core! but I think it would do a better job.

Hitmontop @ Life Orb
Adamant
EV: 240 HP / 252 Atk / 12 Speed
-Fake Out
-Mach Punch
-Close Combat
-Bullet Punch

This is probably the best I can suggest. It threatens the Registeel and Chansey. Handles SD Absol which can wreck you. Your good and Ill explain the moves quick. Fake Out and Mach Punch with priority is great and 12 SPeed ensures you use Mach Punch before opposing Hitmontops (crucial). Close Combat instant hit-hard move to hit the core and Bullet Punch serves a s a primary filler to kill Mismagius.

Other things you can consider:

Azumarill is your other option in place of Swellow. Why? because it adds a threat to the infamous wall breakers like Blaziken, Nidoking and Blaziken. It forces to swithc out, they will give your team a hard time.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)