ORAS OU VenuTran OU RMT

Intro:
This is my second team I made and I would like to see what you guys think of it. I like building teams which take alot of time to wear down and can care for each others checks well so the first thing that came to mind was using Venusaur-Mega with its great bulk and decent offensive presence with pretty reliable recovery, this pokemon checks alot of bulky water type pokemon and the fearsome offensive sweepers like Lopunny-M and Manectric-M. I decided to go with the common core of Venusaur and Heatran as they work well with each other taking on each others weaknesses and so i used brmt to create a team which functions well around these 2 pokemon.

TeamBuilding Process

The Mega of my choice here and the main monster of this team which is fun to use imo forcing switches and handling fairies well. I like using synthesis on turns they expect an attack which just opens up more opportunity to wear the opponent down, physically defensive venusaur is the best imo so it can take knock offs and take care of BD azumarill.

The monster to go with Venusaur, specially defensive tank set to take on Chari Y, surviving 2 focus blasts, is also absorbs psyshock and fire attacks/will-o-wisps aimed at Venusaur. This pokemon is also my stealth rocker.

This is my Taunt/Toxic annoyer gliscor who adds a ground and electric immunity to the team and also being a status absorber, and a decent staller against latios, it checks ground types easily taking in their hits and works with heatran who takes ice beams aimed at glisc and venusaur taking scalds(although the burn is annoying). I would go with the swords dance set but i never actually got much success out of it.

I added zapdos here as my physical wall, my semi fire pokemon to add more pressure to steel types, slow-ish volt switcher and defogger, this pokemon is mainly just to defog and be a nuisance switching about.
upload_2016-11-1_22-12-23.png

Keldeo is my wallbreaker of sorts with decent speed, it is also one of my solutions to dangerous dark type mons such as Bisharp and Weavile as specs isnt too important to keep on keldeo anyways once it gets hit with a knock off, I normally bring this pokemon in the middle-end of the battle not for the sweep, just to keep it healthy as it keeps the offensive pressure going about in my team.

All the pokemon after Venusaur are there to minimise threats based on brmt and jirachi just about covers everything i guess but I am left vulnerable against a hydregion however that monster isnt so common and this is scarf jirachi with u-turn and yeah sorta wears it down. Scarf Jirachi makes a good U-turn pokemon and its flinchax is heavily appreciated.

Builds:

Venusaur-Mega @ Venusaurite
Ability: Thick Fat
EVs: 248 HP / 224 Def / 36 SpD
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 SpA / 30 Spe
- Giga Drain
- Sludge Bomb
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Synthesis
This is a standard M-Venu however the speed is placed into SpD to just be a better tank as speed isnt needed in my opinion. HP Fire is to take on amoonguss and skarmory. Sludge Bomb is a spammable stab hitting decently hard and good for fairies and giga drain is to take care of water pokemon.

Heatran @ Leftovers
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SpD / 8 Spe
Calm Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Lava Plume
- Toxic
- Stealth Rock
- Protect
Specially defensive Heatran to tank focus blasts with protect for recovery with leftovers, even if an opponent switches in a check use protect to maximise recovery to keep this healthy to back up Venusaur. Stealth rock as its almost mandatory, Lava Plume as its stab move with good burn chance and Toxic might seem strange with Gliscor having it but it seems very effective for me such as placing it on Charizard Y

Gliscor @ Toxic Orb
Ability: Poison Heal
EVs: 244 HP / 8 Def / 200 SpD / 56 Spe
- Earthquake
- Taunt
- Toxic
- Roost
Gliscor spreads toxic, stops volt switches/t-waves for free turns, takes in random hits whilst recovering from it and handles chansey too with keldeo. This pokemon is also to take the earthquakes aimed at Venusaur and Heatran as Venusaur doesn't resist plus it grants a safe switch giving it advantage on the common pokemon which use ground-type moves except kyurem black. Still a gread pokemon to play with and a core member of the team

Zapdos @ Leftovers
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 248 HP / 172 Def / 88 SpA
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Volt Switch
- Heat Wave
- Defog
- Roost
This acts as my second fire type to deal with steel types with its good physical defense and the speed evs are placed into SpA to hit the volt switch harder. Defog is to remove hazards as a plus and roost is to increase its longjevity.

Keldeo-Resolute @ Choice Specs
Ability: Justified
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 SpA
- Scald
- Secret Sword
- Icy Wind
- Hidden Power [Grass]
Specs keldeo as wallbreaker, I do like hydro pump and focus blast on it but I wanted coverage more as a more reliable option due to the fact I bring Keldeo late, there would be less switch-ins to whatever move it uses and it's easy to switch out keldeo into heatran and venu so one bad prediction from keldeo doesnt matter.

Jirachi @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Iron Head
- Heart Stamp
- U-turn
- Healing Wish
ScarfRachi saved me many times and its chip damage is a decent thing to have plus serene grave makes its stab moves much more annoying, the healing wish is used as its final move if its about to die or if it becomes useless via will-o-wisp. It also adds more needed speed in my team for things like lopunny and weavile.

Thats my team, the main threats are:
A well played Hydreigon, Pidgeot and some setup sweepers such as talonflame after heatran is taken out which is why heatran must be handled with alot of care, Serperior is also a decent threat but VenuTran can handle it otherwise.

Thats all I want to show for my team, I will appreciate any suggestions and such :)

Attachments

Hi, I like the look of your team. I don't know if I'm qualified to answer this since the highest I've gone in OU is 1445, but here is what I think:

Your team looks weak to Mega Medicham, it can OHKO Heatran, Keldeo and Gliscor with STAB moves and Ice Punch respectively. You have chosen good EVs for Venusaur and Zapdos to survive a Zen Headbutt and Ice Punch after rocks though. After Heatran is taken out, Talonflame is a huge threat. I would also suggest Hydro Pump on Keldeo to get the OHKO on Mega Medicham. I also don't think HP Grass is necessary because you do have Venusaur to deal with Azumarill and Secret Sword does more neutral damage than a super-effective HP Grass in the case of Manaphy. However it does get the 2HKO on defensive Rotom-W.

252 SpA Choice Specs Keldeo Secret Sword vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Manaphy: 207-244 (60.7 - 71.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

I'd also suggest Ice Punch on Jirachi to deal with Landorus, Garchomp and opposing Gliscor, so that they can be OHKOed even after Keldeo is gone. I'd also suggest Zen Headbutt over Heart Stamp on Jirachi for the added power and to get the OHKO on Mega Lopunny (Note that Zen Headbutt too has a neat 40% chance to flinch in case that worries you)

Summary of what I suggest

Hydro Pump > HP Grass on Keldeo (Don't do this if you had HP Grass for Rotom-W)
Zen Headbutt > Heart Stamp on Jirachi

Hi, I like the look of your team. I don't know if I'm qualified to answer this since the highest I've gone in OU is 1445, but here is what I think:

Your team looks weak to Mega Medicham, it can OHKO Heatran, Keldeo and Gliscor with STAB moves and Ice Punch respectively. You have chosen good EVs for Venusaur and Zapdos to survive a Zen Headbutt and Ice Punch after rocks though. After Heatran is taken out, Talonflame is a huge threat. I would also suggest Hydro Pump on Keldeo to get the OHKO on Mega Medicham. I also don't think HP Grass is necessary because you do have Venusaur to deal with Azumarill and Secret Sword does more neutral damage than a super-effective HP Grass in the case of Manaphy. However it does get the 2HKO on defensive Rotom-W.

252 SpA Choice Specs Keldeo Secret Sword vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Manaphy: 207-244 (60.7 - 71.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

I'd also suggest Ice Punch on Jirachi to deal with Landorus, Garchomp and opposing Gliscor, so that they can be OHKOed even after Keldeo is gone. I'd also suggest Zen Headbutt over Heart Stamp on Jirachi for the added power and to get the OHKO on Mega Lopunny (Note that Zen Headbutt too has a neat 40% chance to flinch in case that worries you)

Summary of what I suggest

Hydro Pump > HP Grass on Keldeo (Don't do this if you had HP Grass for Rotom-W)
Zen Headbutt > Heart Stamp on Jirachi
The reason the use heart stamp is because it flinches more(40%->60%)
Secret sword still 2hits physdef rotom from a specs keldeo so he doesnt need hp grass at all, if anything hp bug is a better option to hit slowbro/lati@s and grass types that could wall keldeo. When it comes to heatran being a talonflame answer thats fine, just keep him alive and dont play around with eqs. Finally Medicham is a problem for your team to deal with, but thats the case for most teams. Just keep keldeo and rachi healthy so you can beat it.

I don't know if I'm qualified to answer, since my all-time highest on the showdown ou ladder is 1468 as of this post, but I'll give my thoughts on how u can improve the team anyways.
First off, add an importable so people don't have to copy paste each mon(I'm willing to copy paste each mon, but meny ppl aren't), u will get much more feedback if u add an importable so we can copy paste the whole team in at once.
Also, i see no reason to run HP fire on MVenu, since tran and zapdos take care of annoying 4x fire weaks like scizor, forretress, and ferrothorn, to name a few. Try running sleep powder so u can get giga drains, swap ins, and synthesis up, or leech seed to do residual damage with recovery, but sleep powder is ultimately better due to synthesis and giga drain already doing a good job at recovering.
BY the way, there is no need to run hp grass on specs keldeo, like ShadowForceMC said, secret sword still 2hkos defensive rotom-w from specs keldeo, and hp bug does hit slowbro and lati@s hard.
Finally, what are the complete heatran and zapdos sets? They aren't mentioned in the builds.
That's all i really have to say so peace out.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)