ORAS UU Verfolgung - ORAS Volt-Turn Offense

--Introduction--

Hello. This is Majore D' Mawile, bringing you another team that I made. With ORAS pretty much like already in existence, we all expected that the definition of "metagame" in every tier will once again be changed. With the arrival of the new Mega Evolutions, we have seen the changes in the different major tiers, from PU to Ubers, which is now an official tier (Following this was the creation of the "Anything Goes" metagame). In accordance to this, I came up with a simple UU team, however, I am not using any of the new Mega Evolutions. I actually still want to see how the meta of UU will still evolve, and when a certain point arrives, then only would I have to make a team around 1 of them. Without further ado, I introduce to you...Verfolgung (I am not German, although I come up with team names that'll at least resemble an aspect that the team has).

--Metagame Analysis--

*NOTE*: This might not be necessary, but I wanted you readers to at least know what the current metagame of the UU tier has to offer, which will also be a reference to demonstrate how the team would run, so this is why this is here.

In the beginning of the late November season, the new changes that ORAS has offered has been applied to all of the tiers. With the arrival of new Mega Evolutions, new threats start to rise, which resulted to the last tier shift of 2014. In the UU tier, we have witnessed the moving of Sableye and Metagross, along with the Sablenite and the Metagrossite respectively, from UU to OU. As soon as these threats start to leave the tier, new threats have arrived. Beedrill, from PU, gained its mega evolution, and PU has banned both Mega Beedrill and Beedrill itself. With this happening, it found itself its own place in UU as a Pokemon with a ranking of A+ (as of December 6, 2014). Along this was Altaria and its mega moving to the tier, although Mega Altaria meant serious business, so it moved to BL, along with Mega Diancie. The tier also had the return of Mega Alakazam and Zygarde, who were once in BL, and now found themselves as Pokemon that rightfully deserves to be of the S Rank in UU. All Pokemon highlighted above serve as very common threats in the tier right now, and every team not playing any of these Pokemon needs to find a way to stop them from their tracks, although there are very common flaws that can somehow stop them. Things like Encore mostly halts Mega Alakazam and Zygarde from setting up themselves for a sweep. As many people say: "It is recommended to have at least 1 scarf user in every team.", and I can agree with that, seeing how the metagame of UU is right now.

--Teambuilding Process--

It's important for every team to be built around a certain core. Cores can determine which playstyle you will work around with. Since this is an offensively oriented team, I decided to build my team around 2 strong, physical wall-breakers in the name of Mienshao and Krookodile. It's a common core that focuses on Krookodile's pursuit-trapping capabilities, meaning that this crook can trap Ghost types so that Mienshao can spam STAB High Jump Kicks boosted with "Reckless". This is the basis of my team.
krookodile.gif mienshao.gif
Now that the team has a core which it will be centralized on, the team will now require support. Both Pokemon are very vulnerable to strong Dragon types like Hydreigon and Haxorus. In addition, they won't be able to easily stop bulky waters such as Suicune and Vaporeon. To address these problems, Whimsicott was added. This ball of fur is a very strong addition to my team, as it can achieve a lot of things for the team, such as halting down set-up sweepers and stopping Dragon types from spamming their powerful moves.
krookodile.gif mienshao.gif whimsicott.gif
The core might look like it's well supported, but as far as everything goes, the team still has more notable weaknesses. They cannot really do much to Flying types like Crobat, who can just wreck them badly. In addition to that, strong Grass types such as Mega Abomasnow and Shaymin (although I haven't faced them yet) would ruin the team as well. In order to answer those problems, Rotom-Heat was added. Not only does it answer the aforementioned Pokemon, but also serves as the first physical wall of the team, a status spreader and Volt Switch user, which can deal with Water types other than Swampert and Quagsire, which are 2 big hold-'em-back Pokemon that're handled by our cotton ball.
krookodile.gif mienshao.gif whimsicott.gif rotom-heat.gif
The last 2 Pokemon had to fulfill the roles of laying Stealth Rock and as well spinning/defogging them away. Seeing how the team looks like, Fairy types still can damage my team for good, and luckily, the tier only has special fairy attackers, so I can reserve this slot for a specially defensive Pokemon that walls fairies. Enter Jirachi, a true deity of UU. Being the convenient switch-in to Fairies and as well as Psychic types, it can also lay out my Stealth Rock, provide continuous momentum, and just heal off a Pokemon while sacrificing itself. In short, it glues my team very well.

krookodile.gif mienshao.gif whimsicott.gif rotom-heat.gif jirachi.gif
For the final Pokemon, I had to choose whether to go for defogging or spinning away hazards. Although defogging seems to be a convenient choice, it resulted to making opposing Mega Beedrill to become less weaker, as it takes away their own hazards as well. If this happens, I will have a hard time dealing not only with Beedrill, but other Pokemon as well. As a final choice, I slapped in Blastoise. Not only does it provide reliable hazard removal, but it also acts as the mega of the team, and also acts as the bulky attacker of the team. Down below is the finalized state of the team.
krookodile.gif mienshao.gif whimsicott.gif rotom-heat.gif jirachi.gif blastoise.gif

--Individual Analyses--

MIENshao.jpg

Mienshao @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Reckless
EVs: 4 HP/252 Atk/252 Spe
Jolly Nature
-High Jump Kick
-Stone Edge
-U-turn
-Knock Off

General Summary:
Mienshao is one true wall-breaker. Being one of the best Scarf users in UU with a base speed of 105, it can usually outrun many other scarf users and simply just break them apart. On this team, Mienshao is the team's wall-breaker and usual win condition, for when every nuisance that Mienshao hates is gone, it can just simply spam out High Jump Kick to finish the whole game. It also is the usual lead, since its turn 1 U-turn can determine how your early game would have to look like. The EV spread guarantees full power and full speed powered up with Choice Scarf.

Move Selection:

High Jump Kick- basically the reason why Mienshao is a physical wall-breaker
Stone Edge- breaks away Flying types and Beedrill
U-turn- provides switching momentum to the team; click it 90% of the time
Knock Off- detaches items from opponents, which is essential to the team

Strategic Guidelines/Tips:
(Although this is not that necessary, I am willing to give you tips on how to use Mienshao well on this team, especially for rookies.)
  • When leading with Mienshao, go for U-turn. U-turning on Turn 1 with Mienshao can help you determine how your early game would have to be like. Although clicking High Jump Kick on Turn 1 versus frail Pokemon like Mega Aerodactyl is good, it actually isn't good, because: they may force you out early in the match-up, and losing momentum is not a thing on this team, and that you will be recoiled big time early.
  • When you see suspicious leads such as Crobat, do not let Mienshao in, and try switching to another Pokemon. Although it is quite rare now, things like scarf Crobat can still easily plow through Mien. The key to winning match-ups would most likely be Mienshao, since it is the only member with access to high speed. Losing it early will give you a high probability of losing early in the game, so if ever your opponent makes a strange lead, try to at least make a switch.
KROOKodile.jpg

Krookodile @ Choice Band
Ability: Moxie
EVs: 56 HP/252 Atk/200 Spe
Jolly Nature
-Knock Off
-Earthquake
-Pursuit
-Superpower

General Summary:
As a primary support Pokemon to Mienshao, Krookodile plays out many roles, such as an item remover, back-up win con, pursuit trapper, etc. Paired up with Choice Band, it wrecks up teams badly with very strong moves. The EV spread makes it outspeed Toxicroak, a threat to the team that needs to be faced with caution, while investing full power and the remaining EVs at hit points to make Krookodile a suitable sweeper.

Move Selection:
Knock Off- item remover; reliable STAB move

Earthquake- basically a sweeping STAB move
Pursuit- takes on retreating Ghost types/basically anything that'll retreat
Superpower- breaks things like Empoleon, opposing Krookodile, etc.

Suggestion:
If you do not feel comfortable being with this Krook (which I guess would be true, since almost nothing can touch Toxi), you may decide to replace Krookodile with:
NIDOqueen.jpg

Nidoqueen @ Life Orb
Ability: Sheer Force
EVs: 128 HP / 252 SpA / 128 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Earth Power
- Sludge Wave
- Thunderbolt
- Ice Beam

Since you might have to deal well with Toxicroak, it feels like Nidoqueen is a better switch-in to Toxi, and that it can revenge kill it and other Pokemon as well.

WHIMsicott.jpg

Whimsicott @ Leftovers
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 8 HP/252 SpA/248 Spe
Timid Nature
- Giga Drain
- Moonblast
- U-turn
-Encore

General Summary:
If it speaks for a good counter to dragons, Whimsicott is no exception. With its cute, charming face alluring dragons until their moves cannot affect her, it becomes one of the best counters to a very annoying dragon in the name of Zygarde, who tends to run either the SubCoil or Dragon Dance variants. Basically, it's my switch-in to threats that include Swampert, Quagsire (hopefully, it's now RU), Suicune, and to any dragon out there who wants to wreck this team. EVs are pretty standard, with 252 SpA to optimize full power, and investing the rest on speed and health to become a fast assistant to this offensive Volt-Turn team.

Move Selection:

Giga Drain- the definition of recovery & STAB, all in 1; deals with water types
Moonblast- removes crappy dragons out of the way
U-turn- provides momentum to the whole team
Encore- puts set-up sweepers to a halt; the reason why Prankster is a must in Whimsicott

ROTOM-h.png

Rotom-Heat @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 248 HP/124 Def/132 Spe
Bold Nature
- Will-o-Wisp
-Volt Switch
-Overheat
-Pain Split

General Summary:
Rotom-H serves as a physical wall that could put sweeping Pokemon such as Darmanitan to a big halt. Due to its astounding typing, I have made it my answer to Flying types and many fire types. Basically it's here for that reason, and as well as to provide the team with a way to cut off physical sweepers' attack with the crippling burn. The EV spread is pretty standard, outspeeding things like Adamant Honchkrow and other things.

Move Selection:

Will-o-Wisp- basically the attack cutter and a crippler move to opposing Pokemon
Volt Switch- continues the momentum of the team; STAB
Overheat- deals with Forretress, grass types; in 1 word: STAB.
Pain Split- the only other way this Pokemon can recover.

JIRAchi.jpg

Jirachi @ Leftovers
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 240 HP/12 Def/252 SpD/4 Spe
Calm Nature
-Iron Head
-Stealth Rock
-U-turn
-Healing Wish

General Summary:
My team still had a glaring weakness to other things such as Alakazam, Florges, etc., and the team had to get a Pokemon that can deal with such threats. In this case, Jirachi was added. It can absolutely run different sets, which make it an S Rank Pokemon. For this team's case, it runs a specially defensive set, since it can handle itself well against many common special threats like Whimsicott, Alakazam-Mega, Hydreigon, and more, while being to set up the team's hazards/sacrificing itself for recovery of a member. The EV spread gives Jirachi 401 HP, a good way to deal with Blissey's Seismic Toss well, as well as having full SpDefense, 12 Defense EVs to lessen Psyshock's damage, and the remaining 4 Speed EVs to speed-creep opposing defensive Jirachi well.

Move Selection:

Iron Head- STAB; a way to hax the opponent or to just stop annoying fairies
Stealth Rock- every team needs this hazardous move
U-turn- continues the team's momentum
Healing Wish- the only source of this team's recovery

BLAStoise.jpg

Blastoise @ Blastoisinite
Ability: Rain Dish ---- Mega Launcher
EVs: 184 HP/252 SpA/72 Spe
Modest Nature
-Water Pulse
-Rapid Spin
-Dark Pulse
-Ice Beam

General Summary:
Blastoise is the team's final Pokemon. I decided to add a bulky attacker at the end, because it can help the team deal better with stronger threats. The team also is better with the help of a spinner and not a defogger, since you would have to deal with Beedrill and other threats better. The EV spread outspeeds Adamant Machamp, while having full power and optimal bulk to deal better against common threats.

Move Selection:

Water Pulse- STAB that works well with Mega Launcher
Rapid Spin- hazard remover
Dark Pulse- Deals with Starmie, Jirachi and other threats
Ice Beam- targets Flying types; alternate way to destroy Ground types

--Final Words--
The team's state may look as great as it is right now. Honestly, it works well in the current meta, for as long as there are no annoying things like Toxic Spikes, Toxicroak, or others, but they can be dealt with easily. Oh, you may also leave suggestions on how I may improve the team, too! Once again, this is Majore D' Mawile. See you next time, Smogon community!

*ATTACH IMPORTABLES*

ORIGINAL CONCEPT:

Krookodile @ Choice Band
EVs: 56 HP / 252 Atk / 200 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Knock Off
- Earthquake
- Pursuit
- Superpower

Mienshao (F) @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- High Jump Kick
- U-turn
- Stone Edge
- Knock Off

Whimsicott (F) @ Leftovers
EVs: 8 HP / 252 SpA / 248 Spe
Timid Nature
- Giga Drain
- Moonblast
- U-turn
- Encore

Blastoise (M) @ Blastoisinite
Ability: Rain Dish
EVs: 184 HP / 252 SpA / 72 Spe
Modest Nature
- Water Pulse
- Rapid Spin
- Dark Pulse
- Ice Beam

Rotom-Heat @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 124 Def / 136 Spe
Bold Nature
- Will-O-Wisp
- Volt Switch
- Overheat
- Pain Split

Jirachi @ Leftovers
EVs: 240 HP / 12 Def / 252 SpD / 4 Spe
Calm Nature
- Iron Head
- Stealth Rock
- U-turn
- Healing Wish

WITH THE NIDOQUEEN REPLACEMENT:

Mienshao (F) @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- High Jump Kick
- U-turn
- Stone Edge
- Knock Off

Nidoqueen @ Life Orb
Ability: Sheer Force
EVs: 128 HP / 252 SpA / 128 Spe
Modest Nature
- Earth Power
- Sludge Wave
- Thunderbolt
- Ice Beam

Whimsicott (F) @ Leftovers
EVs: 8 HP / 252 SpA / 248 Spe
Timid Nature
- Giga Drain
- Moonblast
- U-turn
- Encore

Modest Nature
- Water Pulse
- Rapid Spin
- Dark Pulse
- Ice Beam

Rotom-Heat @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 124 Def / 136 Spe
Bold Nature
- Will-O-Wisp
- Volt Switch
- Overheat
- Pain Split

Jirachi @ Leftovers
EVs: 240 HP / 12 Def / 252 SpD / 4 Spe
Calm Nature
- Iron Head
- Stealth Rock
- U-turn
- Healing Wish

Last edited:

Minus

get a dog little longy, get a dog
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Hey! Nice team you have, but there are some things here that could use improvement.

First off, since you're so keen on using Mienshao as a wallbreaker instead of a revenge killer/late-game cleaner, I would suggest that you switch Choice Scarf for Choice Band and Adamant over Jolly (on Mienshao). This will allow Mien to fulfill its purpose better and since the Choice Scarf variant is so popular, I find it incredibly easy to bluff Scarf when I use it. For example, Choice Band nets you a clean OHKO on some of the best walls in UU, for example: Jirachi, Zygarde after Stealth Rock damage, some variants of Swampert, Physically Defensive Vaporeaon etc etc.

Choice Scarf over Choice Band on Krookodile will also help you considerably when dealing with faster Mienshao checks. With your current set, Mega Alakazam can rip through most of your team given it has the proper coverage moves (and the usage stats tell me most do), but Scarf Krookodile will put an end to that. it also does a great job of cleaning up after Mienshao breaks through the opposing team and offers great synergy with it.

Since Whimsicott's sole purpose on you team is putting a stop to Zygarde, Hydreigon, Haxorus, etc, changing Whimsicott to the SubSeed variant will help you in taking advantage of Dragon-types much better. The set is below.

Due to the prevalence of Flying-types in the meta, I /suppose/ ChestoRest Rotom-H would be a good idea to improve its longetivity, though I haven't tested it out yet or anything.

Scald over Water Pulse on Mega Blastoise will do you good as well since it allows you to threaten burn and makes the opposing team wary of switching in the physical wallbreakers. The power difference between the two is almost negligable considering Scald's utility so it more than balances out in the end.

Whimsicott @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
- Leech Seed
- Substitute
- Encore
- Moonblast / Giga Drain

Great team Majore D'Mawile, hope I helped!

What's up man? Good looking bulky offense team you have here. I'm gonna have to strongly disagree with minus on a few of his suggestions. Scarf Mienshao is one of the best scarfers in the tier because of its high speed, allowing it to outspeed most relevant scarfers not named Raikou and Infernape and access to U-Turn to get passive damage on faster non scarf threats. Krook is a much better user of Band or Black Glasses because its speed tier is sub optimal for a scarf set and its powerful knock offs pressure walls very well. The sub seed Whimsicott set isn't the most optimal in the current meta since you have to forego one of your STABs so you either have a hard time against Zygarde or Suicune depending on which one you pick. Now onto my own rate:
  • First thing I see is that you should have at least 240 Speed EVs on Krook so that at the very least you can outspeed Jolly Lucario. I know many people opt for Adamant, but Jolly is not uncommon on EQ Luke to outspeed things like Chandelure so having this insurance against Lucario is good since it looks like it does quite a bit of damage if it gets up an SD.
  • You should run the full 252 Speed on Whimsicott so that you can speed tie other Whimsicotts, which can be extremely handy in the late game. I know that the concept of a slow U-Turn is very desirable, but in a last mon situation, the max speed will help you out a lot more.
  • I'm not sure if this is a misimport or not, but you should be Careful Jirachi with 31 attack IVs since your 2 attacking moves are physical and I'd like to think that you want the maximum damage output you can do.
  • Last thing I have will probably change the team structure quite a bit, so just ignore it if you think it detracts from your Volt-Turn concept, but I'm noticing that your team is really weak to stall as you lack a set up sweeper against it and mostly rely on momentum and hazard damage to beat it. To give your team a better matchup vs. stall I think you should have Sub Toxic Jirachi and Black Glasses Krook w/ Rocks/Rocks Nidoqueen . Sub Toxic Rachi is a fantastic stall breaker, allowing you to status their members and avoid status yourself with a sub and flinch with Iron Head and Black Glasses Krook still packs a punch and bluffs a choice item while giving you rocks since Sub Toxic Rachi doesn't have room for it.
Yeh so that's it from me, my last suggestion is really optional to give you a better change vs stall. Hope I helped!

Minus

get a dog little longy, get a dog
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I'm not denying the fact the Mienshao is one of the best scarferss (because it is), but considering OP is using Mienshao as a wall breaker and not a revenge killer (as said in the first line of Mienshao's description), so I suggested Band over Scarf so it could function better as a wallbreaker as OP wanted. Most of this team struggles against Mega Zam, and Scarf Krook was to stop that since Knock Off OHKOs. And as I said, it works nicely in cleaning up after Shao. Base 92 Speed is not terrible by any means for a Scarfer, and Moxie only adds to utility as a scarfer. SubSeed also takes great advantage of Dragon-types and Suicune isn't nearly as big of a problem as you make it out to be b/c Band Shao can OHKO with a little bit of prior damage and Scald can't break Whimsicott's subs in one hit.

That said, I'm still fairly new to the tier so I might not know what I'm talking about. Cheers!

I'm not denying the fact the Mienshao is one of the best scarferss (because it is), but considering OP is using Mienshao as a wall breaker and not a revenge killer (as said in the first line of Mienshao's description), so I suggested Band over Scarf so it could function better as a wallbreaker as OP wanted. Most of this team struggles against Mega Zam, and Scarf Krook was to stop that since Knock Off OHKOs. And as I said, it works nicely in cleaning up after Shao. Base 92 Speed is not terrible by any means for a Scarfer, and Moxie only adds to utility as a scarfer. SubSeed also takes great advantage of Dragon-types and Suicune isn't nearly as big of a problem as you make it out to be b/c Band Shao can OHKO with a little bit of prior damage and Scald can't break Whimsicott's subs in one hit.

That said, I'm still fairly new to the tier so I might not know what I'm talking about. Cheers!
I understand what you're saying, but Mienshao is actually already a great wall breaker even without the band since Reckless HJK just hits like a truck. And with Krook, yes Moxie Scarf is really good in theory, but in practice it really isn't since it loses a ton of momentum without U-Turn, and gets caught locked into EQ quite a bit which is not what you want in a scarfer. Not to mention the fact that it loses Intimdate support and is slower than a large majority of scarfers in the tier like Darmanitan and Hydreigon. I actually haven't used sub seed whimsicott personally, but I've faced it a few times and it hasn't caused too much trouble other than just being annoying and keep in mind that the concept of the team is Volt Turn so taking off U-Turn on one of the mons doesn't really help that too much.

Sorry if I come off condescending or rude, I just don't think your suggestions just fit his team structure, I'm sure they'd work out fine for a different team concept.

Sorry for the late reply, everyone. I'm kinda busy since I'm back at school, but anyway, thanks to all of you!

I'll be posting my results with the changes you guys suggested me.

EDITS TIME!

(Updated as of Jan. 9, 2015)

-First of all, I decided to use ScaldStoise in the Nidoqueen team.

Modest Nature
- Scald
- Rapid Spin
- Dark Pulse
- Ice Beam

-Applied Minus 's recommendation of Choice Scarf Krook. It's very effective, y'know.

Krookodile @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 56 HP / 252 Atk / 200 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Knock Off
- Earthquake
- Pursuit
- Superpower

-Changed Calm Nature Jirachi to Careful Nature with 31 IVs (as Hairy Toenail recommended).

Things I will keep:
-
The Whimsicott set (on hold)
- Choice Scarf Mienshao (speed-tie battles versus Sharpedo-Mega at +1 speed is pretty darn awesome.)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)