Anything Goes Vertigo: Loom HO

Glory

falling too far for the fear to embrace me
is a Pre-Contributor

This is a pretty unconventional AG hyper offense team built around the surprisingly potent threat of Breloom. Breloom was previously seen as a gimmick by the majority of players (myself included) due to the prevalence of Miraidon and its Electric Terrain preventing sleep. This team cemented Breloom as a powerful anti-balance mon and a serious part of the metagame.

The original idea for this team came about while I was assisting ponchlake in prepping for the finals of AG Winter Seasonal. I noticed that their opponent, entrocefalo, had a noticeable weakness to Breloom, leading me to suggest building with it. I decided to use AGLT to test it as it is pretty representative of the current meta, and it ended up becoming one of the main teams I used to qualify for cycle 1 of AGLT.

The Team

:sv/breloom:

The Loom™ (Breloom) @ Focus Sash
Ability: Technician
Tera Type: Fighting
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Spore
- Swords Dance
- Bullet Seed
- Mach Punch​

Undoubtedly the star of the show, this mon is a major threat that is able to force a tons of switches with the threat of Spore and strong priority. Limited consistent defensive counterplay exists in the current metagame following the major downfall of Skeledirge. Tera Fighting allows Mach Punch to get crucial OHKOs on Koraidon and Miraidon after a boost and minor chip damage. Getting Breloom in against slower Pokemon usually allows for free setup. If the opponent has Miraidon and Terrain isn't up, majority of the time you will click SD instead of Spore. Sash is used to get free turns for grabbing an additional boost or getting an attack without dying, demonstrated in plenty of the replays.

:sv/hatterene:

Hatterene @ Eject Button
Ability: Magic Bounce
Tera Type: Flying
EVs: 248 HP / 204 Def / 56 Spe
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Psyshock
- Dazzling Gleam
- Mystical Fire
- Healing Wish​

Deciding that Breloom would need some support in the hazard game to keep its sash intact, Hatterene was added next, with Magic Bounce providing immense utility against the plethora of hazard setters in the metagame. The EVs outspeed Toxapex and get an additional point of speed, allowing it to outspeed opposing Hatterene and reduce Calm Mind boosts with Mystical Fire. Eject Button is unorthodox for AG and was originally added just as a test, but I liked it enough to keep it. Tera Flying acts as a backup for handling Great Tusk, which can become a massive pain if allowed to do as it pleases. Healing Wish is also something different from the norm, allowing Hatterene to sacrifice itself to bring one of the team's other sweepers back to full, notably restoring Breloom or Chien-Pao's Sash in a pinch. Alternatively, a standard Calm Mind set can be run to good effect.

:sv/chien-pao:

Chien-Pao @ Focus Sash
Ability: Sword of Ruin
Tera Type: Dark
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Crunch
- Icicle Crash
- Sucker Punch​

With hazard control from Hatterene, Sash Chien-Pao seemed like a logical choice, acting as a way to keep many top threats in check while doubling as a potent sweeper in its own right. A Jolly nature is preferred to tie with the other +Speed base 135s, as well as outspeeding the neutral natured sets that have become more common. At the cost of struggling with Miraidon and Koraidon more, a Life Orb set can be used instead, in which case Ice Shard should be used instead of Sucker Punch for increased consistency and damage against Koraidon. Tera Dark is the chosen tera type to break Toxapex easier.

:sv/annihilape:

Annihilape @ Leftovers
Ability: Defiant
Tera Type: Water
EVs: 220 HP / 224 SpD / 64 Spe
Careful Nature
- Bulk Up
- Taunt
- Rage Fist
- Drain Punch​

Annihilape was added to help check the various special attackers that otherwise threaten the team, most notably Iron Bundle, and to break through the physical walls that Breloom struggles with. Tera Water is the most versatile Tera type, granting a resistance to Chien-Pao's Icicle Crash, Chi-Yu's Flamethrower and Overheat, Koraidon's Flare Blitz and Flame Charge, and Iron Bundle's Hydro Pump and Ice Beam. The EVs are the standard Annihilape EVs with 8 EVs allocated from Special Defense to Speed to creep opposing Annihilape and win the 1v1. A notable alternative option is Tera Ground to better handle Miraidon.

:sv/miraidon:

Miraidon @ Expert Belt
Ability: Hadron Engine
Tera Type: Ground
EVs: 156 HP / 252 SpA / 100 Spe
Modest Nature
- Agility
- Electro Drift
- Tera Blast
- Dazzling Gleam
At this point, the team didn't much enjoy taking opposing attacks, as well as struggling to break through certain physical walls like Tera Dondozo. Miraidon brings great defensive utility by deterring attacks like Flare Blitz from Scarf Koraidon, and Electro Drift from opposing Miraidon, and also acts as a terrifying breaker and cleaner in its own right. The set is something that I created to fit the team's specific needs, acting as a late game cleaner capable of breaking through Clodsire and Iron Treads, while having Dazzling Gleam to hit Koraidon and Ting-Lu. The EV spread outspeeds Timid Chi-Yu, with some additional speed for creep, as this is a relatively popular benchmark for bulkier Miraidon and Flutter Mane sets. Expert Belt achieves some very beneficial calcs (detailed below), though both Leftovers and Life Orb are solid alternatives.
252+ SpA Expert Belt Hadron Engine Tera Ground Miraidon Tera Blast vs. 236 HP / 0 SpD Miraidon: 420-497 (105 - 124.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ SpA Expert Belt Hadron Engine Miraidon Dazzling Gleam vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Vessel of Ruin Ting-Lu: 197-233 (38.3 - 45.3%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
252+ SpA Expert Belt Hadron Engine Tera Ground Miraidon Tera Blast vs. 248 HP / 252+ SpD Quark Drive Iron Treads: 326-389 (85.1 - 101.5%) -- 81.3% chance to OHKO after 1 layer of Spikes
252+ SpA Life Orb Hadron Engine Tera Ground Miraidon Tera Blast vs. 248 HP / 252+ SpD Quark Drive Iron Treads: 354-421 (92.4 - 109.9%) -- 56.3% chance to OHKO
252+ SpA Life Orb Hadron Engine Tera Ground Miraidon Tera Blast vs. 224 HP / 252+ SpD Clodsire: 369-437 (80.7 - 95.6%) -- 56.3% chance to OHKO after 1 layer of Spikes
252+ SpA Life Orb Hadron Engine Miraidon Dazzling Gleam vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Miraidon: 302-356 (88.5 - 104.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO after 1 layer of Spikes
:sv/glimmora:

Glimmora @ Focus Sash
Ability: Toxic Debris
Tera Type: Ghost
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Mortal Spin
- Earth Power
- Spikes
- Memento​

Glimmora was decided to be the final member over other leads because it is a consistent lead into offense―with Hatterene beating the leads that Glimmora loses to―it absorbs opposing Toxic Spikes, can clear hazards, and can cripple sweepers with Mortal Spin or force them out with Memento.

Threat List

:sv/koraidon:

Koraidon
Choice sets can be scouted by Hatterene and checked depending on what move they lock into, with Breloom and Chien-Pao providing a solid backup. SD + Flame Charge sets are a pain but they can usually be handled by using Tera properly and preserving at least one sash. Glimmora is a decent switch against boosting sets since they typically will boost first, allowing Glimmora to Poison it. Keeping tspikes up is especially helpful against non choice sets. Life Orb sets can get worn down easily by recoil and put into priority range.

:sv/miraidon:
Miraidon
Against choice sets you need to predict around them and leverage your sashes to your advantage until you can go for the win. Keeping tspikes up if possible is incredibly helpful, Annihilape can take Mira on if it has dropped its SpA with Draco and can always live a unboosted hit. Against double dance you usually need at least one sash intact or tspikes up, and Annihilape can live boosted Tera Dazzling Gleam if terrain isn't up. Life Orb can be chipped down with hazards and revenged with Loom or Pao. Pivot sets are extremely painful and you need to get predictions and sacs right, and sometimes will need luck, if worst comes to worst go for the speed tie with Pao.

:sv/flutter mane:

Flutter Mane
Another massive pain, keeping Chien-Pao's sash intact is of course incredibly helpful, sucker punch is typically your way to safely take it out, hazard pressure from Glimmora is also great. Annihilape can live any unboosted non-specs attack and KO with rage fist and Miraidon can tera on it and OHKO with edrift, though be cautious of a Moonblast drop.

:sv/great tusk:

Great Tusk
Hatt is your main switch into this. Against offensive sets, if they click spin to proc eject button, go into Loom and Spore/SD/Bullet Seed as you see fit to deal with it. If they click headlong go into chien-pao and threaten it out. If they get hazards then you will likely need to tera hatterene or mira. Against defensive sets, use hatt to handle it. If they are bulk up + rapid spin, do your best to prevent spin with Annihilape and try to outboost them, revenge with mira or tera hatt if they beat you. Tera hatt as a last resort against most sets, and keeping sashes intact is of course very useful.
Replays

Fissure Dondozo stall getting destroyed by Breloom and Annihilape
standard balance getting swept by Breloom.
pivot Miraidon balance losing to Breloom
vs Palafin and Miraidon rain
vs Eject Pack Koraidon and scarf Chi-Yu
vs Flutter Mane HO
vs double dragon offense

I would like to end this by thanking the people who made this possible:
ponchlake and (albeit unintentionally) entrocefalo for getting me to make this team in the first place.
Bread Sandwich, WrathoftheLeopard, pichus, Frozoid, MurderousMantyke, for being great people and always putting up with my shit.
All of the people who started spamming Breloom on ladder.
And a special thanks to Geysers for being a wonderful friend and for promoting Breloom for me.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)