(VGC) Paradoxes, oh my! It's Trick Room!

Hey all! This gen, what with pokemon being really easy to breed now and all, I figured I'd like to compete in VGC next year! I originally built Sand, but I tried out this here Trick Room team, and it's been doing lovely for me so far.

Amphy (Ampharos) (M) @ Ampharosite
Ability: Static
EVs: 252 SAtk / 252 HP / 4 Def
Quiet Nature
IVs: 0 Spd
- Thunderbolt
- Protect
- Dragon Pulse
- Power Gem

I originally wanted to use Mega-Mawile due to Intimidate, but Mega-Ampharos has proven to just be so good under trick room thanks to that healthy 165 Sp.Atk. I decided Azumarill would fill in the role of an offensive fairy too, leaving the mega slot for this fluffy thing. Power gem is the only thing that might seem odd, but the coverage has proven useful. I considered Discharge for the spread, but nothing on my team (perhaps except maybe Goodra) would enjoy taking it.

60's Swinger (Aromatisse) (F) @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Aroma Veil
EVs: 252 HP / 204 Def / 52 SDef
Relaxed Nature
- Draining Kiss
- Protect
- Trick Room
- Heal Pulse

This thing might look weird, but boy is it just such an amazing Trick room setter due to the taunt immunity and its decent bulk. I often open with this and Mega-Amphy. Draining Kiss is the best move over Dazzling Gleam or Moonblast as Aromatisse is going to be dealing chip damage anyway, so Might as well recover from it. Heal Pulse allows it to keep the rest of the team healed up.

Sugarplum (Azumarill) (F) @ Wacan Berry
Ability: Huge Power
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def
Adamant Nature
- Aqua Jet
- Waterfall
- Play Rough
- Superpower

Azumarill had new life breathed into it with its newfound fairy typing, and it puts it to very good use with its great offensive STAB combination. Ice Punch would be illegal due to this year's VGC rules only allowing mons within the kalos dexes that were generated on an X/Y cart, but Play Rough is a fine substitute. I have Superpower over Protect for the additional coverage, as well as Aromatisse being able to heal it up should there be any stray damage. Wacan Berry is the item to allow Azumarill to take a stray thunderbolt or discharge.

Jelly Numnum (Reuniclus) (F) @ Life Orb
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SAtk / 4 Def
Modest Nature
- Psyshock
- Protect
- Shadow Ball
- Trick Room

The more offensive Trick room setter. I have Shadow Ball over Focus Blast for two reasons: First, I am paranoid about missing, and second, Ghost now hits Steel neutrally, so Focus Blast isn't AS completely necessary.

Butterscotch (Goodra) (M) @ Assault Vest
Ability: Sap Sipper
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SAtk / 4 SDef
IVs: 7 Spd
- Dragon Pulse
- Sludge Bomb
- Thunderbolt
- Fire Blast

Perhaps only here because I hatched a perfect shiny and really wanted to use it :P The previous four are pretty much the ones I always pick, but Goodra is still handy for times where an additional water or Fire resist could come in handy. Sap Sipper gives it spore immunity too. Sludge Bomb is there to take out opposing fairies.

Chandelure @ Focus Sash
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SAtk / 4 SDef
Modest Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Protect
- Fire Blast
- Trick Room/Energy Ball

Here because I have no idea what to put for the last slot, and it seemed to work. Heat Wave is currently unavailable, but I believe I will be able to breed it post-pokebank.

Any comments/Tips would be greatly appreciated, especially other team mate considerations, considering Goodra and Chandy are mostly filler. Do keep in mind though that eligible pokemon are restricted to those within the Coastal, Central, or Mountain Kalos pokedexes. Thanks in advance!

Draining Kiss is the best move over Dazzling Gleam or Moonblast as Aromatisse is going to be dealing chip damage anyway, so Might as well recover from it. Heal Pulse allows it to keep the rest of the team healed up.
128+ SpA Aromatisse Moonblast vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Scrafty: 172-208 (100 - 120.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO
128+ SpA Aromatisse Moonblast vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Hydreigon: 204-244 (102.5 - 122.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO
128+ SpA Aromatisse Moonblast vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Garchomp: 108-128 (50.2 - 59.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
128+ SpA Aromatisse Moonblast vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Tyranitar in Sand: 66-78 (31.8 - 37.6%) -- 69.9% chance to 3HKO
No Sand:
128+ SpA Aromatisse Moonblast vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Tyranitar: 98-116 (47.3 - 56%) -- 73.8% chance to 2HKO

Now, I am not going to tell you that having higher defensive investment isn't better for your team or anything, but at least consider that Fairy as a type hits several things especially hard, and those things are VERY common in the metagame. This is only with 128+ and no item, you could imagine how much stronger you could make it given a Pixie Plate or Expert Belt. All those calcs are assuming MAXIMUM defensive investment on their targets, which is not generally run on everything, especially Hydreigon or Tyranitar (Vest calc is worse of course, but dies to a faint Fighting breeze).

128+ SpA Aromatisse Moonblast vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Scrafty: 172-208 (100 - 120.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO
128+ SpA Aromatisse Moonblast vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Hydreigon: 204-244 (102.5 - 122.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO
128+ SpA Aromatisse Moonblast vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Garchomp: 108-128 (50.2 - 59.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
128+ SpA Aromatisse Moonblast vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Tyranitar in Sand: 66-78 (31.8 - 37.6%) -- 69.9% chance to 3HKO
No Sand:
128+ SpA Aromatisse Moonblast vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Tyranitar: 98-116 (47.3 - 56%) -- 73.8% chance to 2HKO

Now, I am not going to tell you that having higher defensive investment isn't better for your team or anything, but at least consider that Fairy as a type hits several things especially hard, and those things are VERY common in the metagame. This is only with 128+ and no item, you could imagine how much stronger you could make it given a Pixie Plate or Expert Belt. All those calcs are assuming MAXIMUM defensive investment on their targets, which is not generally run on everything, especially Hydreigon or Tyranitar (Vest calc is worse of course, but dies to a faint Fighting breeze).
Very interesting, thanks for bringing this up!

What do you think would be an optimal spread for it? 252HP/128Spa/128def?

Optimal would be 252 HP for sure, I am leaning toward having that spread with Quiet, but of course you can adjust it as you see fit. I haven't done calculations on things like Mega Mawile Iron Head (OHKO with max Defense) vs. it yet, so don't just slap that on without trying some calculations first.

Edit:
252+ Atk Bisharp Iron Head vs. 252 HP / 128 Def Aromatisse: 164-194 (78.8 - 93.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

That is probably the strongest attack you would want to take on Aromatisse, and it's pretty comfortable.

252HP/128Def/124SpAtk/4SpDef seems to be a bit better use of EVs.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)