Volcarona

Mine has saved me countless numbers of times...but with Butterfly Dance and that Fire Dance move its proved to be prime Ditto lure! ^_^'
As for Windstorm, I agree that it probably isn't the best option. I don't think comparing it to Focus Blast is accurate since it doesn't offer the same kind of coverage that Focus Blast offers to the Pokemon that use it. The risk of missing doesn't seem to be worth it in this case as the payoff isn't as significant as using Focus Blast.
Using it on a weather team removes that problem right?

That Hurrican move is really good. I've used it because...no one sees it coming and they tend to send in some kind of pokemon weak to flying like that Water...Pony.....thingy.... Plus it can confuse which got me out of a sticky situation once! The payoff seems good enough for me.

Gale/Windstorm only gets 100% accuracy in rain. And if you use the moth in a rain team you're ruining your Fire STAB.

Windstorm isn't great, but it can be brutal in some situations. A 120 power move is bad enough, but 30% confusion rate can be a bitch too.
Works great against Fighting types, which are always a thorn in Ulgamoth's side.

Ulgamoth in rain is an interesting idea, to be fair - Ulga doesn't need Fire moves, after all. But at that point you're better off using something else.

I see an Ulgamoth with Gale not so much as something for a rain team, so much as I see it more as a nasty surprise for rain teams.
Hmm, you know, I never looked at it like that. Sort of like how Groudon sometimes carries Thunder in case Kyogre thinks he's clever. I could see it having some utility for that.

Hmm, you know, I never looked at it like that. Sort of like how Groudon sometimes carries Thunder in case Kyogre thinks he's clever. I could see it having some utility for that.
Groudon...carries Thunder? Since when? Earthquake does more damage off Groudons much better attack stat and hits Kyogre's weaker defense. And Sun would cut Thunder's accuracy...

Groudon...carries Thunder? Since when? Earthquake does more damage off Groudons much better attack stat and hits Kyogre's weaker defense. And Sun would cut Thunder's accuracy...
I doubt any of them have carried it since 3rd generation, but it used to be sometimes used to catch Kyogre on the switch in. He thought he'd counted, and he eats a 100% accuracy Thunder on the switch in due to causing rain, with the paralysis hopefully kicking in.

I imagine that fell out of vogue, but it used to be used for that purpose. Was more using it as an example. I didn't pull this out of my ass, ya know. :naughty:

I get that it would be used to kind of couteract rain teams. But what rain team lets Urugamosu set up?
Cocky ones who think they can set up on him, thinking he'll switch out. Still, I imagine this will be a situational move at best, only worth a slash on a moveset or "Other Options".

Cocky ones who think they can set up on him, thinking he'll switch out. Still, I imagine this will be a situational move at best, only worth a slash on a moveset or "Other Options".
A lot of rain teams have quite a few physical rain sweepers,namely Kabutops,Kingdra,and the occasional Toxicroak,which Urga's Butterfly Dance won't help against.

Honestly, you shouldn't be even keeping an Urgamosu around if a Kingdra shows up anyway, since most of them are physical, and they probably will be outspeeding you unless they were stupid enough to let you get to +3 off Butterfly Dances or something.

Honestly, you shouldn't be even keeping an Urgamosu around if a Kingdra shows up anyway, since most of them are physical
Er, no, most are special. Since it's outclassed without rain. And special Kingdra is better in rain. And rain is very common.

Still shouldn't stay in, though. It outspeeds you in rain. And it definitely KOs with Hydro Pump, +1 SpD or not. And Bug Buzz doesn't KO at +1.

If you plan your team out right, it's not that hard to get 2 BDs off against a rain team, as long as rain isn't up yet or if you have your own weather changer. You switch ulgamoth into something it can threaten out, like a nuttre or magnezone and BD once. The opponent will immediately switch into politoed to bring rain. if you BD again, you can survive the incoming boiling water and maybe even surf. I don't think you can live against hydro pump though. Finish toed off with a +2 bug buzz and proceed to sweep.

Of course, there are a lot of things that could to wrong. Nuttre could t-wave you, politoed could use hypnosis or encore, or the toed is an offensive.

Gale/Windstorm only gets 100% accuracy in rain. And if you use the moth in a rain team you're ruining your Fire STAB.
Windstorm isn't great, but it can be brutal in some situations. A 120 power move is bad enough, but 30% confusion rate can be a bitch too.
Works great against Fighting types, which are always a thorn in Ulgamoth's side.

Ulgamoth in rain is an interesting idea, to be fair - Ulga doesn't need Fire moves, after all. But at that point you're better off using something else.

Gale is a shitty move from the perspective of someone who wants to, well, win. When you get off 2 or 3 BDs you want to fucking sweep, not hope you sweep. All it takes is one miss, Fire Dance, Bug Buzz, Hidden Power, etc. all these moves have perfect accuracy, why put a weak link in the chain?

Keep in mind: A super effective HP is more powerful than a Neutral Gale. Also, STAB Fire Dance and Bug Buzz are again more powerful. Super effective hits for Gale? Fighting, Bug, and Grass types. Grass and Bug types are raped by its STAB anyway and it resists Fighting moves anyway. Compared to the coverage HP Rock or Ground would offer, its just not worth it. Plus with Gale, you'd lose something to hit Heatran with, meaning Heatran might actually *gasp* win. That would be embarrassing wouldn't it?

Also in my experience Ulgamoth isn't that effected by Rain (at least compared to other Fire types. It still has its Bug STAB which is powerful rain or shine, and as far as its weakness to water, if you are any good at setting up (which you better be) only physical water moves are really a concern.

I'll second the above notion that Ulgamoth isn't at all hampered by rain. It has some issues with physical swift swimmers, but rain teams usually don't carry stuff that you'd use fire on with the exception of toxicroak whose ability causes it to die to fire anyway (plus it's not that common to begin with).

Gale is really bad for reasons I mentioned before. It might be acceptable where you don't get to choose your IVs (for a perfect hidden power), but I think Psychic is better that Gale anyway. Better coverage against stuff that resist your stabs and the accuracy won't end your sweep.

On the whole Kingdra issue, if you're max speed, and already at +2, you stay in and OHKO Kingdra, otherwise, get the hell out, as you're either gonna eat a Specs-Boosted Rain-Boosted Hydro Pump [Which will KO you, unless you're at the point where you'd outspeed and KO Kingdra anyway], or eat a Rain-Boosted Waterfall, which again, will OHKO you.

Oh, and while SpecsDra does seem more common, because of it's power, DD-Dra is more flexiable, and better against other weathers. Tyranitar/Hippo isn't so smug when Kingdra DD's while it switches in, causing him to be outsped, and eat a +1 Waterfall. I've swept teams who thought they could manage Kingdra just by taking the rain away like this several times.

If you're gonna use the moth on a Rain Team, which IMO, you shouldn't, Gale is always an option if you want to use the Moth for Anti-Grass purposes. Not to mention Flying has surprising coverage in the current metagame. While Bug Buzz handles Celebi better, Gale will handle the likes of Natt and Venusaur better. [Especially factoring the Confusion Chance]

The only Steel you see often is Nattorei, and there's not actually that many Flying resists out there right now, other than T-Tar and Dory, the former fears Bug Buzz, and the latter being somewhat frail, and wouldn't switch in unless sand was up anyway [In which case, you wouldn't be using Gale!]

Meanwhile, you hit neutral or better on the Water, Dragon and Fighting types infesting the current meta.

On the whole Kingdra issue, if you're max speed, and already at +2, you stay in and OHKO Kingdra, otherwise, get the hell out, as you're either gonna eat a Specs-Boosted Rain-Boosted Hydro Pump [Which will KO you, unless you're at the point where you'd outspeed and KO Kingdra anyway], or eat a Rain-Boosted Waterfall, which again, will OHKO you.

Oh, and while SpecsDra does seem more common, because of it's power, DD-Dra is more flexiable, and better against other weathers. Tyranitar/Hippo isn't so smug when Kingdra DD's while it switches in, causing him to be outsped, and eat a +1 Waterfall. I've swept teams who thought they could manage Kingdra just by taking the rain away like this several times.
But wait, how does Tyranitar outrun Kingdra? Do people still use Choice Scarf Tyranitar? I don't see why when Roopushin/Breloom/Scizor are available and there are better Scarfers (admittedly without Pursuit, Pursuit is one of the only reasons to run a Scarf Tyranitar as well as being faster than things like Latias/Latios/Starmie/Azelf/etc) out there. Also, Tyranitar takes a hell of a lot of damage switching in on Specs Water moves anyhow unless it is very specially defensive and Hippowdon can't switch in on Specs. You'd need a water absorber or resist then but there is no way Tyranitar or Hippowdon are comfortable switching in on Kingdra. Also I'd like to point out Choice Scarf Tyranitar isn't ohkoing Kingdra without a critical hit anyhow and would get pummeled by Hydro Pump if it switched in on that. And as you said, +1 Life Orb Waterfall will wipe out Tyranitar as well and deal massive massive to Hippowdon. I was just confused why Tyranitar or Hippowdon would have the guts to switch on Kingdra in the first place.

At +2, Ulgamoth Bug Buzz will pretty much kill Kingdra and outspeed (unless you're running Max hp/max def or something. You might as well invest speed to outrun Kingdra after +2 and everything else and some special attack as well).

I've recently found out that you can pass on Dream World abilities through breeding. So you don't have to pick between Egg Moves or Dream World Abilities.

They're both good abilities, but I tend to go for Flame Body. With Flame Body, I can switch in on predicted U-Turns and burn something like a Rachi, or Scizor which means although they get switch advantage, it's at the cost of crippling their physical attacker.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)