warstory

Edit: Looks like I forgot to change the title from when I was editing the new thread, sorry. I know it looks really nooby. :(

Shortly before I put together my wifi team, it's simulator counterpart had made it to the top 100 on Shoddy's ladder system. I enjoyed wifi battles much more than simulator ones (due to more time to think, visuals, etc.), so I knew that my rating would drop on Shoddy due to inactivity. Instead of letting that happen, I tried to play one game on Shoddy per day, just to keep my rank up in case I ever wanted to continue laddering. I didn't expect much from the battle, but I ended up having a really exciting one.

Passive damage (status, entry hazards, sandstorm, etc.) and Leftovers will be omitted, except where extremely important. My opponent, Bobjr's whole team is holding Leftovers, with the exception of Breloom's Toxic Orb, which will also be left out. On my side, Hippowdon, Empoleon, Gardevoir, and Bronzong have the stinky apple core. Pokemon's nicknames will be said once, and then replaced with the species name from then on. In order to tell the difference between the two Hippowdons, however, I'll be refering to my own as, "Sunaarashi" throughout the whole thing. I'll also try to remove any other type unneeded text, but as some people like different amounts, I'll try not to go overboard. The score will be listed with my own number of Pokemon left, first.

My opponent, BobJr's team, in no particular order:

My (kamikaen's) team, also in no particular order:

Let the dogfight begin! I crave violence.

Rules: Ladder Match, Sleep Clause, Freeze Clause, OHKO Clause, Evasion Clause, Species Clause, Strict Damage Clause
kamikaen sent out Sunaarashi (lvl 100 Hippowdon ?).
bobjr sent out Hippowdon (lvl 100 Hippowdon ?).
Hippowdon's Sand Stream whipped up a sandstorm!

Hippowdons are becoming annoyingly common, especially as leads. I suppose I'm part of the problem, though. :P Anyway, it would be best to switch into an advantageous position while he Stealth Rocks, than to both use our passive moves on the same turn, at least in my own opinion.

kamikaen switched in Arella (lvl 100 Gardevoir ?).
Gardevoir traced Hippowdon's Sand Stream!
Hippowdon used Stealth Rock.
---

If you're wondering why I brought out a frail psychic type so early in the game (especially against a Hippowdon, where Tyranitar is sure to follow), it's because my Gardevoir can take hits with her Bold nature, and extreme defensive EVs. I originally employed her as a Gyarados counter who could Wish, 'cause I lacked both of those on a team with two tanks lacking recovery moves), but she has since proven to be a star, with her amazing ability, and Wow. That's my main aim, here. If Hippowdon stays in, he'll be Wow'd before he can touch me, but if something like Weavile came out, they'd be ruined due to the burn as well. It's a little risky, but there's only a 25% chance of missing, while there's a 75% chance of one of his Pokemon getting neutered.

bobjr switched in Tyranitar (lvl 100 Tyranitar ?).
Gardevoir used Will-o-wisp.
Tyranitar was burned!
---

I'm glad it hit. Burn is such an amazing status; it's great against physical Pokemon, but also just awesome for the passive damage. It does the same amount of damage as Toxic in three turns, and by that time, a switch has likely been made. But now I have to make the descision correctly; should I switch, and risk Gardevoir going down to half health? A Wisher lacking Protect, past half health isn't worth too much.

Tyranitar used Crunch.
It's super effective!
Gardevoir lost 45% of its health.
Gardevoir's defence was lowered.
Gardevoir used Wish.
---

I predicted wrong, but it's too early in the match for that to be anything but a 50/50 chance for me. Luckily, it doesn't look like that was CB'd. I can't stay in, now that my defense was lowered, but I'm risking being Pursuited, as this isn't Ttar isn't locked into Crunch (I doubt that would've done so little damage without CB). However, I didn't notice any Life Orb, and non-CB variations of the rock monster don't seem to carry Pursuit a lot. I decided to risk it.

kamikaen switched in Jihad (lvl 100 Lucario ?).
Tyranitar used Dragon Dance.
Tyranitar's attack was raised.
Tyranitar's speed was raised.
The wish came true!
Lucario restored 3% of its health.
---

Aah, it's Jihad! Literally, the perfect compliment to a Psychic type, at least on his part (though a Levitating Psychic can return the favour). I don't know why my opponent is Dragon Dancing so early in the game, especially since he could OHKO my defense dropped Gardevoir. He was likely predicting Protect, (a move that I had considered adding to Gardevoir) and wanted to use that turn somehow. He kindly revealed his moveset for me, so I was happy. SpecsLuke's (the beast) Vacuum Wave couldn't OHKO at this point, and with a DD, Speedier Ttar spreads could outspeed it. I originally thought I was coming in on an easy Crunch, but it looks like I'll have to switch back to Hippo for fear of Earthquake.

kamikaen switched in Sunaarashi (lvl 100 Hippowdon ?).
Tyranitar used Earthquake.
Sunaarashi lost 16% of its health.
---

Ice Beam is terrible, but this Tyranitar has DD, so I'm not too scared. I'll stay in and threaten it, since I don't even need to recover with Slack Off at this point.

bobjr switched in Cresselia (lvl 100 Cresselia ?).
Cresselia makes ground moves miss with Levitate!
Sunaarashi used Earthquake.
Sunaarashi's attack missed!
---

Cresselia can cause problems, and switching in on Earthquake annoys me. Why can't she have a useless ability, like... Keen Eye. It's not like a random Ice Fang could've done much more than Earthquake did, so I'm not too annoyed.

Cresselia used Ice Beam.
It's super effective!
Sunaarashi lost 37% of its health.
Sunaarashi used Curse.
Sunaarashi's speed was lowered.
Sunaarashi's attack was raised.
Sunaarashi's defence was raised.
---

As much as I'd like to call the above a misclick, it wasn't. In one turn, I revealed my Hippowdon's secret (everyone expects the SR lead), displayed his special defensive spread (pitiful), and Curse'd up without knowing more than half of his team. =\ Pretty stupid, but I suppose I can just Slack Off and forget about it. I hope I don't get frozen or criticaled. >.>

Cresselia used Ice Beam.
It's super effective!
Sunaarashi lost 34% of its health.
Sunaarashi used Slack Off.
Sunaarashi restored 50% of its health.
---

Speedy Cressie can hit me for super effective damage, but I'm still gaining ~20% per turn. I'm actually surprised by how much she's doing to my Hippowdon, and I thank those 52 Sdef EVs for holding up for me.

bobjr switched in Vaporeon (lvl 100 Vaporeon ?).
Sunaarashi used Slack Off.
Sunaarashi restored 19% of its health.
---

That was a waste of a turn, but I can't really be blamed for playing safe, there. None of the conversation between my opponent and I has been deleted, so you can see how talkative we were. :P

kamikaen switched in Gardevoir (lvl 100 Gardevoir ?).
Gardevoir traced Vaporeon's Water Absorb!
Vaporeon used Surf.
Gardevoir's Water Absorb absorbed damage!
Gardevoir restored 25% of its health.
---

Yay for Trace! It's such an underused ability, and it's so awesome. Gardevoir also functions very well as a Choice'd Heatran counter, though I still have a few problems with Life Orb versions.

Gardevoir used Thunderbolt.
Tyranitar lost 19% of its health.
---

As you can see, the price my Gardevoir pays for her defensive ability is her offense. Psychic and Thunderbolt have decent coverage together, however, so I can at least hit most things for neutral damage.

Tyranitar used Crunch.
Sunaarashi lost 15% of its health.
---

So I flee his Pursuit-less T-tar, and he decides to go for some kind of damage. By now, I know three of his Pokemon (Vaporeon, Hippowdon, and Tyranitar), and he knows three of mine (Lucario, Sunaarashi, and Gardevoir). I know that his Tyranitar DDs, and he knows that my Sunaarashi Curses, so we're pretty even as far as scouting.

Vaporeon lost 32% of its health.
---

I was really surprised at how much that did, but it turns out to be standard Vaporeon. It seems to be a repeat of last time this matchup took place, but I decided to mix things up, and see if he overpredicted Gardevoir coming in.

Vaporeon used Surf.
It's super effective!
Sunaarashi lost 80% of its health.
Vaporeon lost 30% of its health.
---

Okay, so that didn't do very well. Still, I have Wish support, so not all is lost for Hippowdon. I'm hoping that he won't predict me, but rather just let my wounded wall die, being that it's not fast enough to get in a quick heal when it comes back in. Now that Vaporeon's almost dead, Gardevoir can finish her off.

kamikaen switched in Gardevoir (lvl 100 Gardevoir ?).
Gardevoir traced Vaporeon's Water Absorb!
Vaporeon used Surf.
Gardevoir's Water Absorb absorbed damage!
Gardevoir restored 25% of its health.
---

The free healing is always nice, and the free switch is even better. Vaporeon often proves a thorn due to it's bulkiness, and Wishing, so I'm a little glad I let Hippo stay in so I could KO it later.

bobjr switched in Hippowdon (lvl 100 Hippowdon ?).
Gardevoir used Thunderbolt.
It doesn't affect Hippowdon...
---

Curse my naiveté! I fell for the trick I employed on him. Luckily, he doesn't get the free heal, though the free switch bugs me. It's not like he's going to do too much to me (I love Will-o-wisp!), I just find the fact that I couldn't finish off Vaporeon annoying.

Gardevoir's attack missed!
Hippowdon used Earthquake.
Gardevoir lost 40% of its health.
---

Oh, well, now's a better time than vs. Tyranitar for Wow to miss. I'll try again, and switch after, instead of just Wishing up after Wowing my crowd.

Gardevoir's attack missed!
Gardevoir lost 35% of its health.
The sandstorm rages.
Gardevoir is buffetted by the sandstorm!
Gardevoir lost 6% of its health.
kamikaen's Gardevoir fainted.
5-6
---

Son of Arceus! Low accuracy moves always seem to go in clumps, if it misses, it's almost guarunteed to miss twice in a row. :P Arella succumbs to my own weather tactic. It's not like Gardevoir would be so amazingly useful past surviving Hippo's burn't Earthquake, unless it managed to come in on Water Absorb again (3rd time is pushing it), but at least Hippo would've been burned. Hitting the first time would've been nice. :P I'll bring in Bronzong, now. He can't seem to do much to Hippowdon, but Hippowdon can't do much to it, either.

kamikaen switched in Shrine (lvl 100 Bronzong).
bobjr switched in Breloom (lvl 100 Breloom ?).
Bronzong used Trick Room.
Bronzong twisted the dimensions!
Breloom was badly poisoned!
---

Urgh, Breloom. Subseeding Sporepuncher seems to be the most annoying, and the most common. >.< There are some quirkier counters to it's tactics, like Lum berry, revenge killing, Gengar, but I don't have any of those. =\ At this point, just foddering Hippowdon sounds like a good idea, but a dead sleeper doesn't activate sleep clause, unfortunately. :P I'll get a chunky hit in with my Trick Room, then sleep, and hope I wake up early. :P

Bronzong used Gyro Ball.
Breloom lost 50% of its health.
Breloom used Spore.
Bronzong fell asleep!
---

That made a nice dent, but I would require about 65% and a lot of luck for it to mean anything.

Breloom is tightening its focus!
Bronzong is fast asleep!
Breloom used Focus Punch.
A critical hit!
Bronzong lost 100% of its health.
kamikaen's Bronzong fainted.
4-6
---

Ouch, that kinda stung. Oh, well. Now I have the opportunity to revenge kill, though I doubt he'll stay in to get killed. =\ No chance to either showcase his great anti-sweeper skills, or get to Explode.

kamikaen switched in San Jose (lvl 100 Garchomp ?).
Garchomp used Fire Blast.
Cresselia lost 13% of its health.
---

Scarfchomp and Trick Room on the same team? I may be insane, but mama still loves me! At this point, I'm wishing I had chosen Dugtrio as my chosen revenge killer, and not be locked into Fire Blast vs. Cresselia. =\

kamikaen switched in Oasis (lvl 100 Empoleon ?).
Cresselia used Ice Beam.
It's not very effective...
Empoleon lost 3% of its health.
The twisted dimensions returned to normal!
---

My strange supporting Empoleon, the weak link in the team makes his debut, and takes Cressie on like a beast. I mean, like nothing else can take a Cressie Ice Beam. ._. I only keep Empoleon because it's the only water resisting, special defensively tanky, Rock Shuffler there is.

bobjr switched in Skarmory (lvl 100 Skarmory ?).
Empoleon used Stealth Rock.
---

This... was a strange move. Most people think it's the CS Empoleon. Maybe he was predicting the SDer? Maybe Cressie was specs'd? No... my opponent was likely as retarded as I am. At least I got SR out, now it's time to shuffle as he gets a free spikes (I can't touch him, as I lack Surf).

Skarmory used Spikes.
Spikes were scattered everywhere!
Empoleon used Roar.
---

Well, Hippowdon's not my first choice for replacement, as I can't really continue Roaring, but I can hit it hard, and be comfortable in the fact that I'm faster. I'm doubting an OHKO, due to my defensive spread, but I'll KO it before it can do me in. Unfortunately, Sunaarashi's death fodder, now, since I don't have a spinner.

Empoleon used Grass Knot.
It's super effective!
Hippowdon lost 62% of its health.
It's super effective!
Empoleon lost 70% of its health.
---

Ouch, he did more than me. Thank goodness for base 60 speed! I'm predicting him to go to Skarmory, so I'll Roar just to scout a bit more, and get some SR damage in.

Empoleon used Roar.
---

I'm sure I can OHKO it (even with low base power), but he might go to Skarm again. Oh, well, best not to overpredict.

Vaporeon used Substitute.
Vaporeon lost 25% of its health.
Empoleon used Grass Knot.
It's super effective!
The substitute took damage for Vaporeon!
Vaporeon's substitute faded!
The sandstorm rages.
Vaporeon is buffetted by the sandstorm!
Vaporeon lost 1% of its health.
bobjr's Vaporeon fainted.
4-5
---

I'm hoping that my opponent's previous move was a misclick, because it was pretty stupid. I searched from the top 100 at the time, so I'm doubting that it was a serious move, and I doubt he was that stupid. Still... stupid move. It wouldn't've made a difference, unless he switched, though. He could've been making it apparent that he was letting it die...

Breloom used Spore.
Empoleon fell asleep!
---

Ugh, my sleeping Pokemon has died. ._. It looks like I'll have to let Empoleon die, in order to chase it away again... Oh, well, it did what it was supposed to, plus knocked Hippowdon around a bit. RIP stupid penguin.

Breloom is tightening its focus!
Empoleon is fast asleep!
Breloom used Focus Punch.
It's super effective!
Empoleon lost 55% of its health.
kamikaen's Empoleon fainted.
3-5
---

Nothing more than expected. I'll switch in Garchomp again, as I don't have a different way to deal with Breloom. At least it doesn't have Substitute...

kamikaen switched in Garchomp (lvl 100 Garchomp ?).
Garchomp used Crunch.
It's super effective!
Cresselia lost 34% of its health.
---

Pathetic damage is all that's possible against Cresselia, even if it's super effective. ._. Still, even my risky prediction was correct, so I'm pleased with myself.

kamikaen switched in Lucario (lvl 100 Lucario ?).
Cresselia used Ice Beam.
Lucario lost 13% of its health.
Lucario was frozen solid!
---

Bagels! Lucario's impessive resistances won't help it against 1/10 hax. :( It's not a big deal, but it's still annoying.

kamikaen: arg!
Lucario is frozen solid!
---

I suppose I have the bad habit of leaving my sleeping/frozen Pokemon in, but I'm reluctant to let go of my team's star. :( Specsluke is a beast! It's not like Cressie could've done much to me, anyway. Oh, well. Administer the treatment, Tyranitar!

Lucario is frozen solid!
Tyranitar used Dragon Dance.
Tyranitar's attack was raised.
Tyranitar's speed was raised.
---

Aah! I didn't think he would risk setting up, for fear of me thawing out, but I suppose that's stupid. If I don't thaw out next turn, his DDtar will likely kill another Poke as well, and that will be the end for me. :pirate:

Lucario was defrosted!
Lucario used Vacuum Wave.
It's super effective!
A critical hit!
Tyranitar lost 13% of its health.
bobjr's Tyranitar fainted.
3-4
---

*Jubilation* Thank you, lady luck! You've redeemed yourself in my eyes. The crit was a nice cherry on top. I actually have a chance of winning, now. Thank goodness for Vacuum Wave.

Sunaarashi's Sand Stream whipped up a sandstorm!
Pointed stones dug into Sunaarashi.
Sunaarashi lost 6% of its health.
Sunaarashi was hurt by Spikes!
Sunaarashi lost 12% of its health.
kamikaen's Sunaarashi fainted.
Cresselia used Rest.
Cresselia fell asleep!
Cresselia restored 71% of its health.
2-4
---

Oof! My fodder fails, and Cressie gets a Rest off. I was hoping that my Sandstream would screw it's Moonlight, but it seems Cresselia has found some other ways to heal in this sandstream heavy metagame. Sunaarashi's purpose, there, was to reset Lucario's move choice, but it didn't work out too well. Let's see if I can Dark Pulse it to death before it Rests again.

Lucario used Dark Pulse.
Skarmory lost 30% of its health.
---

Hum, I should've seen that coming. I was risking being locked into a resistant move either way, but I think Dark Pulse vs. Skarm would've done more than Aura Sphere vs. Cresselia. Time to switch to my Fire Blast Poke. Kind of an unlikely counter, eh?

Skarmory used Roost.
Skarmory restored 48% of its health.
The sandstorm rages.
---

A free roost is annoying, but it's not like staying in and Dark Pulsing would've helped me a lot.

Garchomp used Fire Blast.
Cresselia lost 13% of its health.
---

I'm playing it too safe in these last few turns, I need to step it up... but will my opponent predict that?

Cresselia is fast asleep!
---

Lucario used Dark Pulse.
It's super effective!
Cresselia lost 46% of its health.
Cresselia is fast asleep!
Cresselia flinched!
---

Skarmory would have been a risky move, anyway, due to flinch chance, I suppose. I'm glad I predicted correctly. No Sleep Talk for you!

Lucario used Dark Pulse.
A critical hit!
Breloom lost 56% of its health.
bobjr's Breloom fainted.
The sandstorm rages.
2-3
---

Heh. I hope I don't have to explain how the crit was unneeded, as I am faster than all Jolly versions. I guess it saved me PP, in case I ended up in a stalling war vs. Roosting Skarm, or something, if I was locked into Dark Pulse and both of our last Pokes were out...

Skarmory used Drill Peck.
Garchomp lost 27% of its health.
---

No more playing safe for me. Cresselia will die! Either that, or Sand Veil will save me. Hopefully.

Garchomp used Outrage.
Garchomp went on a rampage!
Skarmory lost 19% of its health.
Skarmory used Drill Peck.
Garchomp lost 11% of its health.
kamikaen's Garchomp fainted.
1-3
---

Me~eh. I need to better my prediction skills.

Lucario used Aura Sphere.
Skarmory lost 80% of its health.
bobjr's Skarmory fainted.
1-2
---

Hah! But now I'm locked into Aura Sphere, with Hippowdon as an easy kill! Can I kill Cresselia as well?

Hippowdon lost 38% of its health.
bobjr's Hippowdon fainted.
1-1
---

As predicted... *gulps in anticipation*

Cresselia lost 16% of its health.
bobjr's Cresselia fainted.
kamikaen wins!
kamikaen: gg
kamikaen: log saved
kamikaen: great battle
bobjr has left the room.

Yeaaay! It looks like Cressie was at lower Hp than I remembered, and it wasn't Timid. ^^ My opponent wasn't very talkative, but I guess I wasn't, either... I was holding my breath up until this point. Now for the obligatory props and slops...

Props:
  • My opponent, for a fun game.
  • SpecsLuke, for being amazing even when it isn't against a team spamming Blissey, thawing out at a climactic moment, and giving me a comeback.
  • Empoleon, for finally doing something, and setting up the Stealth Rock that ensured Lucario's KO on Cresselia.
  • Gardevoir, for burning Tyranitar, and taking Crunch like a tank.
  • My opponent's Skarmory, for taking the hits I gave it, and setting up the Spikes that became Hippowdon Garchomp's deaths, along with the Drill Peck.
Slops:
  • Bronzong, for not living up to his usual awesomeness.
  • I and my opponent, who made some stupid mistakes, each.
  • My laptop, for freezing in the middle of writing this warstory. ._.
Hope you enjoyed it! I certainly did. Please notify me of anything that I could change/fix/etcetera.

Quite an epic battle, Kami. There were very few to none misplays throughout the story, and that just adds to the quality. Also glad you made a warstory :)

Just a question...how does you're team deal with Gyrados?

Gardevoir! She has Trace (for Intimidate, so I'm not totally dead even if it has a DD), Tbolt, and a really defensive nature + EV spread.

Thanks.

Great story! I'm just curious why you kept the Sleeping Empoleon in to die to Focus Punch. You could've sent in the hippo (which would've died to Spikes damage), kept Sleep Clause active, and potentially have the penguin wake up later in the match.

Stallion

Tree Young
is a Tiering Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Three-Time Past WCoP Champion
Nice story, and great comeback at the end. I kinda agree with Little Green Yoda, but then again not all battles are perfect.

I'm too eager to let Empoleon be my death fodder, I suppose. :( I probably should've Exploded on Breloom with Bronzong, but I'm all too reluctant to lose him. :P

Quite a good warstory + battle. ^^

Too bad Bronzong failed, I love it. =( But this did make me respect Lucario some more.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)