ORAS NU We Play Too Rough [Trick Room Team] (Peaked #30)

Hey everyone :)

I have commented on other NU RMTs in the past but this is my first one that I have actually made myself. I like to mix things up and often try out many different playstyles to see what works and to keep things interesting.

I decided to try my best at teambuilding (usually not very good at it) to make my own strong Trick Room team as Trick Room is godly right now. Gallade and sneasel are ruling the tier and many people are resorting to hyper offense and faster threats to keep up with the meta which just makes trick room even more potent. After I had finally resolved all the quirks of my trick room team to the point I was actually happy with it I tried laddering and actually got all the way to #30. I could have probably pursued even higher but laddering has never really been my thing and I don't particularly enjoy it either. Either way thought I would share my created team.
My Teambuilding Process

I started off with Mawile as Mawile is awesome. I think Mawile is not only the best abuser of trick room currently but is near essential on a trick room team. Extreme raw power, easy spammable stabs, sucker punch so it is not complete deadweight to faster foes, and crucial dark resist as trick room teams often are weak to dark. Mawile is the complete package and this team's MVP.

I quickly added Carbink as in my opinion Carbink is by far the best trick room lead there is. Extreme bulk and being able to set up stealth rocks and trick room at the start of the match reliably is incredible. With explosion I can immediately go into a trick room abuser or stop a rapid spin/defog. Also you can never have enough sneasel checks.

Carbink is often a suicide lead so I needed another reliable trick room setter and also I needed a resist to ground. Exeggutor also would have worked and I know firsthand it is incredible in trick room but I wanted to be a bit unorthodox. Gourgeist-S is pretty underrated honestly it just checks so many things. It is one of the best spinblockers in the tier and is all around a solid pokemon so it was added to the team. Gourgeist just eats up hits.

Now I needed a fire resist and strong trick room abuser and I was leaning towards a strong water type. I could have added Octillery but honestly Octillery sucks even in trick room. Gorebyss has a high special attack stat and low speed so I thought it would be a solid choice but ended up dissapointed in its performance.

I wanted what Gorebyss had to offer in a strong special water attacker but also with priority so I settled on an interesting mixed Samurott set. Honestly this slot gave me a lot of trouble and am still open to changing it but Samurott filled the slot well enough.

At this point I wanted another strong trick room abuser but also a set up sweeper as neither Mawile or Samurott have swords dance. Lord behold I found the perfect fit in Beheeyem another pokemon who doesn't get enough exposure as it should. With Nasty Plot and Trick Room Beheeyem puts in a lot of work and Psychic & Bug coverage is incredible.

At this point the team was almost done. I wanted my last slot to be a fat mon that could take advantage of the trick room but also cover some of the team's weaknesses such as Specs Pyroar and other mons. I had heard praise for Regirock recently and despite my distaste for Regirock in NU (I just don't like using) I decided to try it with a curse set.

I was dissapointed with Regirock, I could never find an opportunity to curse and stone edge & earthquake forced too many 50/50s that whenever I lost made me lose precious trick room turns. Still needing a pokemon with similar attributes I chose hariyama. Hariyama could tank hits if need be and dish out damage at the same time. My 6 slots had been decided on and all that was left was some slight tinkering of EVS and movesets.

NomNomNom (Mawile) @ Life Orb
Ability: Sheer Force
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 244 HP / 252 Atk / 12 SpA
Naughty Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Play Rough
- Iron Head
- Sucker Punch
- Fire Blast

Mawile is my MVP and my whole team for the most part revolved around it. Very few things in the tier wants to switch into an Adamant Sheer Force Life Orb Boosted Play Rough and those that do get bopped by fire blast or Iron head. Sucker punch gives Mawile a way to finish off threats and function well outside trick room and fire blast it to lure Ferroseed & Klinklang who think believe I can't touch them. I chose fire blast over fire fang as Fire blast hits a lot harder unboosted and has a 25% chance to straight OHKO ferroseed with 12 special attack EVs. The rest of the evs are into attack and HP.

Carbink @ Red Card
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Atk / 252 Def
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Magic Coat
- Trick Room
- Explosion

Carbink is my lead of choice and what a great lead it is. Carbink can reliably set up stealth rock and trick room nearly every single match. Magic coat bounces back Taunt, Lovely Kiss, Sleep powder, Encore, and all the annoying things the opponent does to try and stop Carbink from doing its job. Even as I got high on the ladder people for some reason never see magic coat coming. Explosion is to block rapid spin/defog and to allow me to get into a trick room abuser immediately. My explanation for the red card is kinda long so I am going to section it off.

Now onto the red card, red card carbink is honestly incredible. It always throws my opponent completely off guard but that isn't why I solely like it as much as I do. Most of the time my opponent sees carbink and knows I am going to lead with it so they figure out a game-plan to stop me from the start only to immediately have all their status moves bounce back and all their attack moves switch them out into some undesired pokemon. Because red card switches their lead out as soon as they attack (it doesn't have to be a contact move even volt switch activates it) as they are forced out into some undesired mon I have already set up rocks so that their lead's sash or sturdy is broken.

The reason I run red card over say any other item is Lum Berry or Mental herb is redundant because of magic coat. I don't need sash because of sturdy. Custap is tempting but I found it came into play too rarely to be worth it and normal gem for explosion seemed funny but pointless. Lefties seemed pointless as well as few things can 2HKO carbink anyways and I am usually killing myself with explosion so longevity isn't what I am aiming for. I thought about rocky helmet for a bit but wanted to be a bit more innovative so I decided on red card.

Also in a dire situation sturdy + red card or just carbink's natural bulk + red card can save me from an unexpected sweep.

Gourgeist-Super @ Colbur Berry
Ability: Frisk
EVs: 248 HP / 248 Def / 12 SpD
Impish Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 0 Spe
- Foul Play
- Leech Seed
- Will-O-Wisp
- Trick Room

This is more or less the standard Gourgeist-Super set but with Trick Room squeezed in. Gourgeist forces a lot of switches already so it actually is a good trick room setter. While this set doesn't have instant recovery Leech seed helps negate this issue to an extent. Will-O-Wisp cripples physical attackers and wears down other mons. Leech seed gives some form of recovery and is useful for mitigating damage when switching out to one of the team's trick room abuser's by passing them the leech seed. Foul play gives Gourgeist an actual attack move that can punish physical attackers. Also foul play Gourgeist Super is the ultimate counter to Klinklang who is like one of the two mon who can actually ohko lead carbink. Gourgeist is almost guaranteed to be knocked off at some point in the battle due to the physical attackers it checks so colbur berry is ran over lefties. 0 Speed IVs ensure it is as slow as possible and 0 attack IVs minimize foul play damage. Frisk sometimes prove useful as well.

Get it? A fat samurott for a slow samurott set. I am too funny.
Samurott @ Splash Plate
Ability: Torrent
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Atk / 252 SpA
Quiet Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam
- Grass Knot
- Aqua Jet

So this Samurott set is definitely one of a kind. With a minus speed nature and zero speed ivs and evs Samurott despite having a 70 base speed stat is actually incredibly slow, allowing it to outslow regirock, hariyama, and even mawile. With 252 SpA evs Hydro Pump, Ice beam, and grass knot hit hard. I can sometimes bluff a choice specs with Splash Plate Hydro Pump also. Aqua jet is useful for picking up KOs and my opponents usually don't see it coming as they think I am a sole special attacker. With splash plate even without much attack investment aqua jet hits hard enough.

Beheeyem @ Colbur Berry
Ability: Analytic
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SpA / 8 SpD
Modest Nature
- Psychic
- Signal Beam
- Nasty Plot
- Trick Room

Psychic and Bug coverage is really all Beheeyem needs as the only things that want to switch into Psychic are dark types like Sneasel & Cacturne who get oblitered by signal beam and steel types who are dealt with by samurott and gourgeist. I originally ran Psyshock because it hit gallade harder but after consistently being dissappointed by psyshock's damage output (it doesn't even kill eviolite scyther after rocks) I switched over to Psychic and didn't look back. Nasty plot allows me to set up on calm minding psychics, crodino, and even ferroseed and KO them. Beheeyem is a bit frail but it can set up trick room rather reliably as well. The two zero ivs minimize its speed for trick room and foul play damage. Colbur berry makes it so I don't have to fear pursuit and can signal beam cacturne without dying from sucker punch. Analytic punishes switches.

Hariyama @ Assault Vest
Ability: Guts
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Close Combat
- Knock Off
- Stone Edge
- Bullet Punch

Pretty much the standard assault vest hariyama set but stone edge > fake out. Fake out of course would only hurt a trick room team, after testing out many other coverage moves I finalized on stone edge. I didn't think earthquake was very helpful on this hariyama and stone edge allowed me to OHKO scyther who often thinks it is completely safe versus hariyama and also quickly kill pelipper and Mantine in trick room. Guts or Thick fat is of course interchangable but I always go for guts as I hate being deadweight once burned.

Conclusion

I had a lot of fun with this team and had much more success with it than I thought. I think there is definitely room for improvement but I am pretty satisfied with it as it now but I am definitely willing to change it if given feedback (especially Samurott). This is my first RMT so I hope you enjoyed it and if there is anything I need to add/fix just tell me. Thanks.
Gourgeist-Super @ Colbur Berry
Ability: Frisk
EVs: 248 HP / 248 Def / 12 SpD
Impish Nature
- Foul Play
- Leech Seed
- Will-O-Wisp
- Trick Room

Mawile @ Life Orb
Ability: Sheer Force
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 244 HP / 252 Atk / 12 SpA
Naughty Nature
- Play Rough
- Iron Head
- Sucker Punch
- Fire Blast

Samurott @ Splash Plate
Ability: Torrent
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Atk / 252 SpA
Quiet Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam
- Grass Knot
- Aqua Jet

Carbink @ Red Card
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Atk / 252 Def
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Magic Coat
- Trick Room
- Explosion

Hariyama @ Assault Vest
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Close Combat
- Knock Off
- Stone Edge
- Bullet Punch

Beheeyem @ Colbur Berry
Ability: Analytic
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SpA / 8 SpD
Modest Nature
- Psychic
- Signal Beam
- Nasty Plot
- Trick Room

Musharna is probably the hugest pain for this team. I really don't have a reliable way of dealing with Max defense Moonlight colbur berry Musharna besides like Beheeyem who is often a shaky answer to it. Also musharna could care less if Trick room is up it will happily take advantage of it and can even often stall out my trick room turns with just its natural bulk plus moonlight.

Heavily depends on what Xatu set it is but many give this team trouble. All physically defensive xatu calm mind or not I have issue breaking past. Also prevents me from getting up rocks early in the match with carbink.

Probably missing a ton of others but I will add more in here if people point them out.

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/nu-243242000
Despite a really unfortunate Hydro Pump miss, some luck by my opponent, and my inability to calc (I really thought psyshock would have KO'd scyther after rocks) this match was unnecessarily close but also good showcase as to why Gourgeist earns its teamslot.
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/nu-243238541
A testament to how terrifying Beheeyem is under trick room.
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/nu-243239999
Nothing wants to switch into Adamant Sheer force Life Orb Mawile.
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/nu-243235019
Too many players sleep on Beheeyem
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/nu-243250899
Honestly the opponent deserved to win I made a lot of misplays and crap plays but saving the match with the red card and pulling the match back with Mawile was just too funny not to share. This is why Mawile is my MVP.

You know if you really care about that sort of thing.

Last edited:

shiloh

is a Member of Senior Staffis a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
Tiering Lead
Mawile / Carbink / Gourgeist - Super / Samurott / Beheeyem / Hariyama

First off I would reccomend chaning Hariyama's spread to 252 SpD over HP, as Hariyamas already High HP means it doesn't need to invest in it. Also going Thunderpunch > Stone Edge is better for hitting Bulky Waters like Prinplup, and you also don't risk the misses. Onto the rest of your team, you are really weak to opposing Swords Dance Mawile, as at +2 it OHKOs everything but Gourgeist, which is killed after a little bit of prior damage. I would recommend Trick Room Lampent > Gourgeist. This also helps you against pokemon like Lilligant. Overall really interesting Trick Room team, and hope you have fun using it.
Thunderpunch>Stone Edge

Lampent @ Eviolite
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpA
Relaxed Nature
- Will-O-Wisp
- Trick Room
- Flamethrower
- Shadow Ball / Hex / Pain Split

Hey Bro,

I have to say, Trick Room Hyper Offense has always been one of those playstyles that have intrigued me in the past, but are extremely difficult to pull off well in singles at least. It's kinda because you have so few TR turns, and you have to make the absolute most out of every turn otherwise its pointless. Your team looks great, but looking at it. Your team really lacks a wall breaker, something that can settup and claim 3 lives before TR runs out. Mawile would be the optimal selection, but you are already running that, so it wouldn't be the best idea to suddenly change your Ferroseed lure. Instead, I'm gonna suggest Guts SD Ursaring > Hariyama.

This is probably the main time I would suggest Guts Ursa, on TR, where its capabilities to break / ohko the entire tier after one SD is incomparable to any other Pokémon in the tier. It is on a timer, thanks to Toxic Orb, but thankfully, TR turns also put it on a timer, so it shouldn't really matter too much as Ursa gets worn down. Hopefully, he can wear down the physical walls like Weezing, Musharna (which he can SD freely on), and Xatu enough for a Mawile clean in the late game. He also has the defensive utility of Lilligant, thanks to being unable to be statused, ability to check Ghosts like Mismagius with high powered crunches. Besides, since you have Trick Room Hyper Offense, you not spending your entire life trying to constantly wall and pivot around the opponent. Your gonna be on the Offense, And Ursa vastly complements any Trick Room team.

Ursaring @ Toxic Orb
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def
Brave Nature
- Facade
- Close Combat
- Crunch
- Swords Dance / Protect

best of luck with your team, I love TR, so I wish you all the best in your future endeavours
Yours in mons,
~HJAD

Mawile / Carbink / Gourgeist - Super / Samurott / Beheeyem / Hariyama

First off I would reccomend chaning Hariyama's spread to 252 SpD over HP, as Hariyamas already High HP means it doesn't need to invest in it. Also going Thunderpunch > Stone Edge is better for hitting Bulky Waters like Prinplup, and you also don't risk the misses. Onto the rest of your team, you are really weak to opposing Swords Dance Mawile, as at +2 it OHKOs everything but Gourgeist, which is killed after a little bit of prior damage. I would recommend Trick Room Lampent > Gourgeist. This also helps you against pokemon like Lilligant. Overall really interesting Trick Room team, and hope you have fun using it.
Thunderpunch>Stone Edge

Lampent @ Eviolite
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpA
Relaxed Nature
- Will-O-Wisp
- Trick Room
- Flamethrower
- Shadow Ball / Hex / Pain Split
Thank you for the suggestions. I am going to go ahead and update the original post with your suggested EV spread as it seems much better. As for Thunderpunch over stone edge that is definitely a change I could see happening but for now I like Stone edge better. While it is true that miss chance sucks it allows me to Ohko eviolite scyther after rocks. Who could otherwise straight up ohko hariyama or roost stall me until trick room ends. Being slightly weaker to prinplup kinda sucks but it helps that I am guts.

252+ Atk Hariyama Thunder Punch vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Eviolite Scyther: 136-162 (39.5 - 47%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

As for lampent that is actually a pretty cool suggestion that I didn't think about it. Looking at them they definitely perform similar roles as bulky trick setters who can burn the enemy and spinblock. With replacing gourgeist with Lampent as a fire check I could replace Hariyama with another trick room abuser but I am going to stick with Gourgeist as I have grown fond of it. Lampent has a bad matchup against the more common rapid spinners right now like Sandslash and Kabutops who Gourgeist completely shuts down and having a pokemon like Lampent who is knock off and pursuit bait kinda sucks in the current meta. Even with full defensive investment Lampent dies to Sneasel's knock off after rocks and doesn't have the luxury of running colbur because it is eviolite dependent.

Overall pretty cool suggestions.
Hey Bro,

I have to say, Trick Room Hyper Offense has always been one of those playstyles that have intrigued me in the past, but are extremely difficult to pull off well in singles at least. It's kinda because you have so few TR turns, and you have to make the absolute most out of every turn otherwise its pointless. Your team looks great, but looking at it. Your team really lacks a wall breaker, something that can settup and claim 3 lives before TR runs out. Mawile would be the optimal selection, but you are already running that, so it wouldn't be the best idea to suddenly change your Ferroseed lure. Instead, I'm gonna suggest Guts SD Ursaring > Hariyama.

This is probably the main time I would suggest Guts Ursa, on TR, where its capabilities to break / ohko the entire tier after one SD is incomparable to any other Pokémon in the tier. It is on a timer, thanks to Toxic Orb, but thankfully, TR turns also put it on a timer, so it shouldn't really matter too much as Ursa gets worn down. Hopefully, he can wear down the physical walls like Weezing, Musharna (which he can SD freely on), and Xatu enough for a Mawile clean in the late game. He also has the defensive utility of Lilligant, thanks to being unable to be statused, ability to check Ghosts like Mismagius with high powered crunches. Besides, since you have Trick Room Hyper Offense, you not spending your entire life trying to constantly wall and pivot around the opponent. Your gonna be on the Offense, And Ursa vastly complements any Trick Room team.

Ursaring @ Toxic Orb
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def
Brave Nature
- Facade
- Close Combat
- Crunch
- Swords Dance / Protect

best of luck with your team, I love TR, so I wish you all the best in your future endeavours
Yours in mons,
~HJAD
Thank you HJAD. I have actually been interesting in using Ursaring the past it doesn't get a lot of usage and guts ursaring hits so hard it is absurd.

252+ Atk Guts Ursaring Facade (140 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Xatu: 339-400 (101.4 - 119.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Trick Room ursaring seems like a lot of fun and I think I am going to try and create a team around it actually right now. That being said I don't think ursaring really fits on this team at least without at least major editting as I would be far too weak to fire spam without Hariyama. Although it would be nice to have Ursaring considering it really does help my situation against both Musharna and xatu. But also hariyama is nice to have because bullet punch really helps with sneasel that seemingly every team is running right now.

Thanks for the suggestions I going to try and make a new trick room team with ursaring now.

Ares

Fool me...can't get fooled again
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Hey KnightK cool looking Trick Room team you have here. From my time of playing trick room the biggest thing I've learned to have a successful team is that you need to build a team that can either function well outside of Trick Room or can reliably set it up for the entire match.

On to your team I see that you have a lot of bulky threats, but no Pokemon that actually have recovery on them. Meaning in long drawn out games you'll end up losing because you can't keep troom up. The simplest thing you can do is change Synthesis > Leech Seed on Gourgeist-Super, seed is p good because you can get health back when switching out but the reliable recovery is a lot more handy in the long run. The second change I'd make to help you have better setters is Musharna > Beheeyem. Normally I'd say Beheeyem is a pretty cool mon to have on a team, but you're taking away the one big reason to use it by using Trick Room, Analytic. The things that Musharna provides over Beheeyem are better defenses, reliable recovery, and you can even run Healing Wish to bring Mawile or Samurott back to full health if you don't wish to use Signal Beam.

Last change I'd make is to make Mawile a Swords Dance Variant, this means you eliminate your threat list by having something to boost past bulky defensive Pokemon and can break more teams more quickly as well as being a threat outside of troom with +2 sucker punches. Knock Off is so you don't have to worry about Barrier variants of Musharna, Fire Fang for Ferroseed, or Iron Head for a more reliable stab coverage move.

Good luck with the trick room team, what they really need to do is add in a rock or something that makes it last longer.

Mawile @ Life Orb | Sheer Force
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SpD | Adamant Nature
Play Rough | Knock Off / Fire Fang / Iron Head | Swords Dance | Sucker Punch

Musharna @ Colbur Berry | Synchronize
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpA | Quiet Nature | IVs: 0 Spe
Psychic | Moonlight | Trick Room | Healing Wish / Signal Beam

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)