ORAS LC welcome to my parlor (spiders inside)

Hello all, it’s me again, after the success I had with my last team, (thanks to everyone) I wanted to create a different team with a few rare but interesting ‘mons. (and some common ones)
before you begin, this is not for those suffering from Arachnophobia, you have been warned.
the story:
I like to stick to a reasonable team composition so that all of my teams play similarly to one another. The formula I use is usually along the lines of:

1 late game win condition

2 revenge killers (usually armed with volt switch or U-turn)

2 supporting members which help facilitate sweeps

1 something else (glue/ early game sweeper)

The last three work together to beat threats, and wear down anything which would stop my sweeper when combined with the scarfers, they create an effective team that weakens good teams, and might outright beat less prepared ones. This team composition usually means that I run 3 or even 4 threatening offensive mons.

The story of this particular team is a bit of a twisted tale, beginning with my unofficial local little cup tournament. My sun team, the subject of my last rmt smashed through all five of my friends’ teams thus showing that a bit of experience, luck, and help, can work miracles in competitive battling. The best thing about this little tour for me was that my friends are relatively new to the metagame, and are in the experimental phases of their respective careers, unburdened by the generally accepted norms of competitive play, my friends brought some very creative sets, teams, and strategies that I haven’t had to contend with in my lc experience. In the end, everyone learned a few important lessons about competitive battling, especially me. It seems likely that our next tournament will be in a few weeks, so I decided that in order to keep my teams fresh against opponents who are learning so quickly, I would have to build, test, and begin refining a team by Christmas.

This endeavor poses particular problems for me, as I need inspiration to build a really good team. The sad thing is, inspiration is often most hidden when it is most valuable. After almost 20 failed teams, I think I might have found a winner. This team defies my general stratagem, and in its place stands a lethal mix of liberated sweepers, without the burdens of move lock, high octane monsters emerge, just as fast (due to sticky web) but 30% harder hitting.

This teams maiden game was one for the books, my opponent (who apparently knows me) came out the gate swinging (ironically with my favorite: shell smash dwebble) and put me into a 4-6 deficit after a few turns, it would be 5-3 before I was able to recover. After a difficult struggle, I was able to pull off the W, 2-0. If anyone wants to see that, here’s the replay:

http://pokemonshowdown.com/replay/lc-195872523

“Welcome to my parlor”

Said the spider to the fly.
Team building:
The inspiration for this team came from the team used by one of my friends, it featured a number of slow, but lethal Pokémon. His biggest issue was his inability to control the speed of the match, which is how I was struck with the idea for a sticky web team. Sticky web is like the last perma-weather, changing the conditions of the game until defog or rapid spin is used. I had a few lc options to consider as far as a setter, but I ended up deciding on surskit.

My next thought was that with defoggers running rampant and powerful spinners just as common, I would need a way of deterring these. Because no pokemon is immune to defog, (to my limited knowledge) the best way to deter defog is with a defiant user. The two defiant users I can think of are pawniard and mankey, but with the pig apes flying type weakness, and most defoggers being winged, that would be less than ideal. Pawniard got the job.

As far as a spin blocker, a few choices came to mind, pumpkabu, phanthump, ghastly, frillish, and a few others were finalists, but with her bulk and synergy with pawniard, I figured frillish would be perfect.

It was at this point that I realized the team would dislike facing off against a +2 pawniard, so my go to anti-chess pokemon was enlisted, timbur has a chance to OHKO pawniard with Mach punch, granting him a spot on the team. He also enjoys being able to out speed several pokes due to sticky web.

What good is a sticky web if you can’t abuse the heck out of it? Say hello to a ‘mon I have been wanting to incorporate into lots of teams, bunelby has access to one of the best abilities in the game, boosting his attack to the god tier. His biggest issue is that with all the resists to his stab, bunelby really dislikes being scarfed. Making him an ideal web abuser.

This team does not really mind rocks, but it is still a good idea to keep a spinner in case of heavy hazards stacking teams and the likes, obviously running a defogger is less than ideal, so I decided on drilbur. The SD set also has the ability to take to the offensive and abuse sticky web.

And that my chums, is how this team came to be.

Without further hesitation, I give you the team.

Misumena Vatia (Surskit) @ Focus Sash

Ability: Swift Swim

Level: 5

EVs: 36 HP / 20 Def / 196 SpA / 20 SpD / 236 Spe

Timid Nature

- Sticky Web

- Hydro Pump

- Protect

- Baton Pass

It may be impossible to make a sticky web team without a sticky web setter. This team uses Misummena Vitia, the goldenrod crab spider to get this very important job done. The given evs and timid nature put this thing at 17 speed, enough to beat a number of important threats, and also giving it a significant speed gap with web down. Sticky web is obligatory, helping the rest of the team with the speed drop. Hydro Pump gives me some punch, it is the revenge killing attack that keeps him useful even after web is down. Protect helps me beat fake out leads like meinfoo, and aipom, it is also useful for scouting in some situations. Finally baton pass is a way to avoid the rare arena trap/shadow tag/pursuit.

Nickname:

Few children playing in their mothers gardens, miss one of the most beautiful arachnids on the planet. The goldenrod crab spider is a small webbing spider which lives near flowers. Although not deadly to humans, the combination of its strong web, and capable venom allows it to take down prey several times its own size. Some sources state that crab spiders can create a lasso of webbing that can be thrown to immobilize prey. Surskits ability to throw its web, and to hit hard when necessary earns it the nickname: Misumena Vatia.

Heteropoda Venatoria (Timburr) @ Eviolite

Ability: Guts

EVs: 76 HP / 196 Atk / 76 Def / 156 SpD

Impish Nature

- Drain Punch

- Knock Off

- Mach Punch

- Bulk Up

I needed a counter to all forms of pawniard, so Heteropoda Venatoria, the huntsman spider, was added. The given evs and nature insure maximum bulk, and the ability to hit hard. Drain punch kills eviolite pawniard, and gives me some recovery. Knock off is always a handy move, especially when you consider that his move set can’t touch ghosts otherwise. Mach punch is handy for the OHKO on scarf and life orb pawniard, as well as some priority (always nice). With this particular set, I am wondering about replacing guts with iron fist. This has pros and cons, on the plus side, it means a guaranteed OHKO on evio Pawn with Mach punch, (rather than a 6% chance) on the negative, it means that I can’t switch into willow wisps and scalds freely.

Nickname:

The huntsman spider is a thing of nightmares, it possesses the speed, strength, and agility to take down its prey. The huntsman is a solitary, webbing less spider. A creature of the shadows, the huntsman is rarely seen in the day. It lives to hunt its primary prey, cockroaches, a task it completes with the efficient ease of a true hunter. Timbur’s efficient ability to kill one of the biggest pests to this team grants it this spot on the team and the name: Heteropoda Venatoria.

Portia fimbriata (Pawniard) @ Eviolite

Ability: Defiant

EVs: 156 Atk / 36 Def / 116 SpD / 196 Spe

Jolly Nature

- Sucker Punch

- Knock Off

- Iron Head

- Stealth Rock

Defog is one of the biggest disadvantages to the stickey web stratagem, this little guy has the ability to defeat this, and often set up on defoggers while posing a massive threat to the opposing team. Defiant grants me the ability to go toe to toe with sticky web teams as well. The set is the smogon set, I trust all the evs are functional, but I also intend to change them to the best advantage in the future. Sucker punch is the 80bp priority that helps me beat a number of notable enemy’s, (like scarf gastly, and LO abra not carrying sub). Knock off is a nice move to carry, it helps beat defensive mons, weakening them for my sweepers, as well as providing a reasonable stab and generally safe move to spam early game. Iron head helps beat scarf mienfoo, as well as hurting two of the tiers best fairies. (snub and spritz) finally I chose stealth rocks to give me the bonus hazards, and more of an excuse for the enemy to attempt an ill-advised defog, breaking sashes and sturdy is often instrumental in the destruction of key opponents. (like sash ghastly and sturdy berry smashers)

Nickname:

This exotic beast is the frilled jumping spider. Spiders of the genus portia are well known for their bravery. These tiny spiders specialize in stealing the food from spiders 300% their size. Portias are involved in cunning trickery, often simulating the motion of caught prey, the smaller spider is able to outsmart its larger opponent using its enemy’s web as a weapon. Pawniards ability to become more threatening when web is used against it earns it the name: Portia fimbriata.

it was:

Dolomedes Tenebrosus (Frillish) (M) @ Eviolite

Ability: Cursed Body

EVs: 236 HP / 116 Def / 76 SpA / 76 SpD

Bold Nature

- Scald

- Shadow Ball

- Recover

- Toxic

The second part of my plan to keep my web in place is this little spinblocker. He was chosen to synergize with pawniard, spread status, and to take hits. He has performed well in this respect. The evs are to grant maximum bulk, and to help dent drilbur and pals. The moves are also quite basic, scald threatens physical attackers, and also provides my most spam able stab. Shadow ball helps me beat ghosts on the switch (like phanthump or pumpkaboo) as well as other enemies that don’t mind the scald. Recover helps me to heal up, with the added speed granted by web, I can occasionally recover first, dramatically increasing survivability. Toxic is my other status, helping kill bulky mons that might threaten my sweepers.

Nickname:

The brownish grey fishing spider is a staple of pond macro fauna. These small arachnids are capable anglers despite being almost web less. When frightened, the fishing spider can hide beneath the surface for half an hour, using hairs on the abdomen to store air near its book lungs. Frillishes ability to use its typing to the maximum advantage earns it the name: Dolomedes Tenebrosus.

but now is:

nephila clavipis (Pumpkaboo-Super) @ Eviolite

Ability: Frisk

EVs: 204 HP / 116 Def / 156 SpD / 28 Spe

Impish Nature

- Bullet Seed

- Shadow Sneak

- Will-O-Wisp

- Synthesis

In terms of spin blocking there seems to be no equal to the big carved pumpkin. He sports super effective stab versus drilbur, starmie, and sandshrew, along with squirtle, kabuto, and probably a few more spinners. Tentacool, one of the few spinners not hit for SE by pumkaboo, is easily handled by my other members, not only that, but the stabs of almost all of the spinners are resisted. Bullet seed is, for reasons previously stated, a wonderful move on this guy. Shadow sneak helps as priority, letting him easily beat weakened sash abra and friends. Will-o-wisp helps to maul physical attackers, ending them as potential threats, it also tacks on bonus damage to defensive mons like bronzor, which are threatening defensively, but lack recovery. Finally synthesis is a reliable form of recovery so long as hippopotas and snover are on vacation. Thanks to The Avalanches for the set.

Nickname:

This regally clad spider is the golden silk spider, it is unusual because of its strange habit of web construction. Silk spiders create large circular webs (they are an orb weaving spider) which resembles the sort of spider web one might draw as a child. The adult sits in the web upside down and repairs it daily, only repairing half at a time, the immature silk spider builds a web which is only 2/3’s complete, repairing only a small fraction every day. Because of its similar coloration, and the fact that synthesis recovers 50% in normal conditions, 2/3s in the sun, and only a small fraction in the sand or hail, pumpkaboo earns the title: nephila clavipis

phidippus audax (Bunnelby) @ Life Orb

Ability: Huge Power

Shiny: Yes

EVs: 12 HP / 228 Atk / 48 Def / 220 Spe

Adamant Nature

IVs: 10 HP

- Earthquake

- Return

- U-turn

- wild charge

I was hesitant at first, but in the end I realized that this thing has huge potential (and power) without the limitations of being choice locked, the bonus life orb power is also a nice touch. Bunnelby, my daring jumping spider, is a bit like a bomb, dangerous, somewhat impractical at times, but when you need a target vaporized, just hit the button. Evs give maximum speed, and power. The reduced Hp IV’s let me hit 19 hp rather than 20, this gives me 19 life orb boosted attacks, rather than 10. Earthquake is a lethal move coming off the jumping spiders attack, it is mostly for fire types like the pony, and steel/rock types that might want a piece of me. Return is a ridiculously powerful stab with all things factored in, this is the most spam able move vs opponents who don’t resist it. U-turn is great for scouting, but also hits hard after the boosts, early game I build momentum with him, this move is great for that. Wild charge completes the coverage, helping with diverse threats not elsewhere hit for SE.
When it comes to damage, its challenging to find a better candidate for the team, as long as sticky web is up, something dies when this guy is brought in.

Nickname: The daring jumping spider is an acrobatic performer whose speed, and range make it all the more lethal. This tiny arachnid uses its web to create a safety line, helping it to survive even missed leaps. The hunting patterns of this incredibly speedy predator make it a fascinating beast. The ability of bunelby to hit hard, and fast earns it the name: phidippus audax.

Bothriocyrtum Californicum (Drilbur) @ Eviolite

Ability: Mold Breaker

EVs: 36 HP / 236 Atk / 212 Spe

Jolly Nature

- Earthquake

- Rapid Spin

- Rock Slide

- Swords Dance

My answer to rocks and the like, the California trapdoor spider was the chosen spinner for volt switch immunity, and its offensive presence. I tend to use this thing as a sweeper when it is not needed to spin. In this respect, it likes the presence of sticky web, and rocks. He is also my go to vs things like bronzor. The evs help it to hit hard and fast. Earthquake is the obligatory stab, keeping opponents at bay especially at +2 it OHKOs all magnamites. Rapid spin is the original reason for adding drilbur to the team, clearing hazards without removing webs is the name of the game. Rock slide completes my edge-quake coverage, hitting birds on the switch. Swords dance was selected over stealth rock for two reasons, first, rocks are already applied to pawniard, so it would be redundant, and secondly because swords dance makes this thing a monstrous ‘mon when put on the offensive. Very few want to take a +2 earthquake.

Nickname:

The California trapdoor spider lives in a burrow beneath the ground. When prey approaches, it leaps from its den and snatches it, dragging it back into the depths. Trapdoor spiders often cover their holes with a door, rendering it totally invisible to the unknowing insect, small lines of web act like tripwires, alerting the spider to nearby prey. Drilbur’s hidden motives, combined with strong presence on the battlefield grant it the name: Bothriocyrtum Californicum.

Thanks for reading all that text, I apologize if it was a bit dry, Entomology can be sometimes. I also realize that this team would be better suited to Halloween than Christmas. Please rate, suggest, and if you are so inclined, try it out. Also keep in mind that this is the second rmt I have created, so there may be a few bugs (pardon the pun) left to wrinkle out. Happy holidays!

-me

importable
Misumena Vatia (Surskit) @ Focus Sash
Ability: Swift Swim
EVs: 36 HP / 20 Def / 196 SpA / 20 SpD / 236 Spe
Timid Nature
- Sticky Web
- Hydro Pump
- Protect
- Baton Pass

Heteropoda Venatoria (Timburr) @ Eviolite
Ability: Guts
EVs: 76 HP / 196 Atk / 76 Def / 156 SpD
Impish Nature
- Drain Punch
- Knock Off
- Mach Punch
- Bulk Up

Portia fimbriata (Pawniard) @ Eviolite
EVs: 156 Atk / 36 Def / 116 SpD / 196 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Sucker Punch
- Knock Off
- Iron Head
- Stealth Rock

nephila clavipis (Pumpkaboo-Super) @ Eviolite
Ability: Frisk
Impish Nature
- Bullet Seed
- Shadow Sneak
- Will-O-Wisp
- Synthesis

phidippus audax (Bunnelby) @ Life Orb
Ability: Huge Power
EVs: 12 HP / 228 Atk / 48 Def / 220 Spe
Adamant Nature
IVs: 10 HP
- Earthquake
- Return
- U-turn
- Wild Charge

bothriocyrtum californicum (Drilbur) @ Eviolite
Ability: Mold Breaker
EVs: 36 HP / 236 Atk / 212 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Rapid Spin
- Rock Slide
- Swords Dance[/Importable]
Best of luck​

Last edited:

The Avalanches

pokemon tcg
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Hey man, nice team.

I was bitten by a spider the other day, in Australia if you get bitten by a spider, your family starts calling dibs on your stuff, it's very unnerving.

Onto your team, I really have only one suggestion, as you've put this together quite well.

Pumpkaboo > Frillish

Frillish is a fine Spinblocker, but your team does not have a consistent switch in for Chinchou at the moment. Pumpkaboo is about as bulky as Frillish and also has access to recovery, but you should certainly consider Pumpkaboo, as it beats every common Rapid Spin user 1v1, whereas Frillish has a harder time beating Staryu and Drilbur.

Here is the set I recommend:

Pumpkaboo-Super @ Eviolite
Trait: Frisk
Impish nature
- Bullet Seed
- Shadow Sneak
- Will-O-Wisp
- Synthesis

Hi the guy you sortof know, this is a very impressive Sticky Web team!

I agree with The Avalanches' suggestion of using Pumpkaboo instead of Frillish due to its access to reliable recovery in Synthesis and its ability to take a lot of hits from common Rapid Spinners.

On your Bulk Up Timburr, I'd recommend an EV spread of 76 HP / 36 Atk / 156 Def / 236 SpD with a Careful Nature. With this EV spread, Timburr has the ability to hit Eviolite numbers and have enough Special Defense to take one Psychic from the most common Abra set(Focus Sash). This leads you to checking it if you're at full HP. The reason there is little attack investment on this Timburr spread is because you have Bulk Up to boost it up anyway.

Next, Bunnelby needs Wild Charge over Iron Head. You said you need coverage on Ice, Rock, and Fairy types. Ice-types aren't common in LC because of how many common fighting-types like Mienfoo, Croagunk, and Pancham wreck havoc in this metagame. You already have Earthquake as coverage for Rock-types and Pawniard will deal with the fairies more efficiently, forcing them out with STAB Iron Heads. Wild Charge hits Archen too and also gets the OHKO on Staryu, so you don't have to risk switching into Pumpkaboo and getting burned by Scald.

Finally, I would like to suggest Life Orb over Eviolite on Pawniard. Life Orb Pawniard will be more efficient for this team due to how much power it has with its STAB Knock Off and having a more progressive time softening up your opponent to sweep with your wincon, Timburr. With a Life Orb on Pawniard, you can 2HKO bulky Mienfoo with Iron Head and 2HKO Ponyta with Knock Off, somethings that you can't do with an Eviolite. Life Orb Pawniard gets a lot of benefit from Sticky Webs due to how it can KO and out speed most of its counters such as Ponyta and Mienfoo, as stated in the previous sentence. Pawniard can still scare out many pokemon in this metagame and set up Stealth Rocks. The 0 HP IVs will let Pawniard have 19 HP, the most HP it has to take less Life Orb damage.

Pawniard @ Life Orb
EVs: 236 Atk / 36 Def / 36 SpD / 196 Spe
Jolly Nature
IVs: 0 HP
- Knock Off
- Sucker Punch
- Iron Head
- Stealth Rock

Anyway, that's all the suggestions I have. Good luck in your future battles! :)

Last edited:
thanks for the quick responses, I have done some preliminary testing, and pumpkaboo is definitely an improvement over frillish, I have updated the team accordingly, thanks.

I have also swapped iron head for wild charge on bunnelby, I agree that it adds to the spectrum of coverage, my only concern is the recoil combined with life orb. I'm glad someone noticed that, I probably wouldn't have. thanks Eren Yeagar for that one

as far as life orb on pawniard, I'm going to leave the eviolite for now, the main reason for this is that pawn is my only good answer to fletchling, and with the eviolite, it is significantly easier to beat him. I will certainly give LO a go, but I wont change the team just yet.

thanks again!

my current stress is over how to handle certain play styles, most notably birdspam. because flying types and pokemon with levitate avoid contact with the web, and are therefor immune to its effect, cause my strategy to fall apart a bit. My best bet has been to use pawniard, but this can be problematic if the enemy runs two birds. thankfully i haven't run into this yet.

Last edited:
If you're really that scared of Bird Spam, the guy you sortof know, you can easily use Archen over Drilbur. Your team isn't particularly weak to Stealth Rock, and you keep up enough offensive pressure where you prevent things from getting down Spikes. With a whopping 22 Attack stat, Archen can easily abuse Sticky Webs. Archen's use also frees up a slot for Pawniard, if you so desire, meaning it can now utilize either Swords Dance or Pursuit over Stealth Rock. Archen is easily the best Bird Spam check in the tier, and is incredible on offensive team archetypes. Also, another fun thing with Archen, if you do decide on using it, you can then use the Life Orb Pawniard set suggested by Eren Yeager.

Archen @ Berry Juice
Ability: Defeatist
EVs: 76 HP / 180 Atk / 196 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Acrobatics
- Rock Slide
- Earthquake / U-turn
- Stealth Rock

thanks, Pancham, I have been trying a large number of Pokemon in drilburs spot. archen is next up I suppose. Freeing a spot on pawniard is the icing on the cake. I have very little experience using archen, so I suppose this is the perfect chance to look into him.
Thanks again

if it makes the team its nickname will be: Theraphosa blondi, the goliath bird eating spider

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)