Wet Sand?

Well, here goes my first warstory. This is a Wifi-style OU battle on PO's Beta server.

I freely admit my team isn't perfect, though it's certainly interesting.

My team:

Opponent's team:

(credit to Bulbapedia for the sprites)
Battle between Ilse and Tortferngatr started!

Tier: Wifi
Variation: +20, -11
Rule: Rated
Rule: Sleep Clause
Rule: Freeze Clause
Rule: Species Clause
Rule: Wifi Battle

From the preview, I notice his team has Tyranitar, Abagoora, Terakion, Doryuuzu, Sazandora, and Nattorei. I decide that Nattorei is the best idea to lead with.

Tortferngatr sent out Nattorei!
Ilse sent out Tyranitar!
The foe's Tyranitar's Sand Stream whipped up a sandstorm!

I run the normal Sassy Nattorei. I decide to go for Spikes so I can get hazard damage up, and provided that Dory isn't running Balloon, a 100% chance of an OHKO with Azumarill rather than a 93% chance. As for why I'm running Azumarill? You'll see.
Pokemon currently out:

100%
100%

Start of turn 1
The foe's Tyranitar used Flamethrower!
It's super effective!
Nattorei lost 264 HP! (75% of its health)
Nattorei was burned!

Nattorei used Spikes!
Spikes were scattered all around the feet of Ilse's team!

The sandstorm rages!
Nattorei is hurt by its burn!

Hax and surprise value strike...d'oh. I didn't and still don't know exactly how MixTar works, but that was still a bit of a shock. I send in Heatran to absorb the inevitable Flamethrower. Sadly, Nattorei is now death fodder.

Approx 12.5%
100%

Start of turn 2
Tortferngatr called Nattorei back!
Tortferngatr sent out Heatran!
Heatran is floating on a balloon!

The foe's Tyranitar used Ice Beam!
It's not very effective...
Heatran lost 18 HP! (5% of its health)
Heatran's Balloon popped!

The sandstorm rages!

Or the not-so-inevitable Ice Beam...I run Earth Power, Fire Blast, Taunt, and Stealth Rock on my Heatran, so I go for the super-effective move, not quite realizing just exactly how bulky Tyranitar really is.

95%
100%

Start of turn 3
Heatran used Earth Power!
It's super effective!
The foe's Tyranitar lost 30% of its health!

The foe's Tyranitar used Superpower!
It's super effective!
Heatran lost 305 HP! (94% of its health)
The foe's Tyranitar's Attack fell!
The foe's Tyranitar's Defense fell!
Heatran fainted!

...See also, facepalm. I decided to send in Azumarill. Azumarill is a really, REALLY interesting Pokemon. It's bulky, it's got high attack thanks to its ability HUGE POWER, and access to Aqua Jet to remedy its atrocious speed.
Killed by Superman
70%, -1 Attack/Defense

The sandstorm rages!
Tortferngatr sent out Azumarill!

100%
70%, -1 Attack/Defense.

At this point I realize something: Tyranitar is one of the few POkemon Azmarill can possibly outspeed. In addition, he has Nattorei...hmm...instead of using the obvious Aqua Jet, I go for Superpower. It hits Nattorei AND Tyranitar (and heck, his entire team: He must have been a worse team builder than I thought at the time...) for SE damage.

Start of turn 4
Ilse called Tyranitar back!
Ilse sent out Nattorei!
The foe's Nattorei is hurt by spikes!

Azumarill used Superpower!
It's super effective!
The foe's Nattorei lost 87% of its health!
The foe's Nattorei's Iron Barbs hurts Azumarill (thanks to ARandomDude for helping me catch that)
Azumarill's Attack fell!
Azumarill's Defense fell!
The foe's Nattorei fainted!

The sandstorm rages!
Azumarill is buffeted by the sandstorm!
Ilse sent out Doryuuzu!
The foe's Doryuuzu is hurt by spikes!

Hooray for prediction! Unfortunately, I'm now locked into Superpower...against something that can outspeed me and quite probably kill me. I also have -1 attack and defense. The good news is that I still have death fodder in the form of my own Nattorei.

81% -1 attack/defense
Also killed by Superman, replaced with
87.5%

Start of turn 5
Tortferngatr called Azumarill back!
Tortferngatr sent out Nattorei!

The foe's Doryuuzu used Swords Dance!
The foe's Doryuuzu's Attack sharply rose!

The sandstorm rages!
Nattorei is hurt by its burn!
Nattorei fainted!

Dissed so hard it fainted.
87.5%, +2 Attack

The best part is that now...

Start of turn 6
Azumarill used Aqua Jet!
It's super effective!
The foe's Doryuuzu lost 87% of its health!
The foe's Doryuuzu fainted!

The sandstorm rages!
Ilse sent out Abagoora!
The foe's Abagoora is hurt by spikes!
This is why I run Azumarill, besides being able to kill off Urgamoth in case I don't get rocks up. Anyways, I'm not entirely sure whether Azumarill can kill off an Abagoora...I decide to switch out.

75%
Dun dun dun dun dun dun dun dun...replaced by

Start of turn 7
Tortferngatr called Azumarill back!
Tortferngatr sent out Bikutini!

The foe's Abagoora used Shell Smash!
The foe's Abagoora's Defense fell!
The foe's Abagoora's Sp. Def. fell!
The foe's Abagoora's Attack sharply rose!
The foe's Abagoora's Sp. Att. sharply rose!
The foe's Abagoora's Speed sharply rose!

The sandstorm rages!
Bikutini is buffeted by the sandstorm!

...Victini is my scarfed revenger, and I think I'm going to regret that fact. (I've considered ScarfChomp for a while now...) I decide to go for Thunderbolt, not knowing exactly how it plays.

93%
87.5%

Start of turn 8
The foe's Abagoora used Aqua Jet!
It's super effective!

OH SHI-

Bikutini lost 319 HP! (93% of its health)

Wait, no...what?

Bikutini used Thunderbolt!
It's super effective!
A critical hit!
The foe's Abagoora lost 87% of its health!
The foe's Abagoora fainted!

The sandstorm rages!
Bikutini is buffeted by the sandstorm!
Bikutini fainted!

...Holy cow. That was rather epic of Victini...maybe, just MAYBE I'll keep it...then again, I think Garchomp could have survived that...meh, back to the box you go, Victini!
Fired
THUNDAGA'd

Now, at this point I have the following Pokemon left:
75%
100%
100%
My opponent:
70%
100%
100%

This is where the match actually gets interesting. Both of us have three different Pokemon, two each unused. Azumarill can take out Terakion easily, but Tyranitar and Sazandora might be harder to take out. Boruterosu/Voltolos has HP Ice to deal with Sazandora, but he's weaker against the other two. Lucario, who I put on my team on a recommendation after being seriously trounced by stall, SHOULD be able to deal with Tyranitar (who seems to not be running Scarf,) or Sazandora, but Terakion outspeeds and KO's with Close Combat. I decide Lucario is the best option here.

Tortferngatr sent out Lucario!

Ilse sent out Terakion!
The foe's Terakion is hurt by spikes!

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! There's only one option here: Run the heck out of there. I predict he won't use a Rock-typed attack against Lucario, but rather, Close Combat, which Voltolos resists.

100%
87.5%

Start of turn 9
Tortferngatr called Lucario back!
Tortferngatr sent out Borutorosu!

The foe's Terakion used Close Combat!
Borutorosu lost 202 HP! (67% of its health)
The foe's Terakion's Defense fell!
The foe's Terakion's Sp. Def. fell!

The sandstorm rages!
Borutorosu is buffeted by the sandstorm!

Good, good...I decide Thunderbolt is the better move here: I seriously hope HP Ice can KO a Sazandora after Thunderbolt and the sandstorm damage...
27%
87.5%, -1 defense/special defense

Start of turn 10
Ilse called Terakion back!
Ilse sent out Tyranitar!
The foe's Tyranitar is hurt by spikes!

Borutorosu used Thunderbolt!
The foe's Tyranitar lost 37% of its health!

The sandstorm rages!

(my Voltolos is a lead variant that runs LO, hence 10% extra damage was dealt against Voltlos.) Anyways, I decided to use Thunderbolt, and it pays. I use it again, though perhaps in retrospect I should have used HP Ice in case of a Sazandora switchin...in re-retrospect that might not have KO'd. Ah well, back the the battle at hand.
11%
19%

Start of turn 11
Borutorosu used Thunderbolt!
The foe's Tyranitar lost 19% of its health!
The foe's Tyranitar fainted!

The sandstorm rages!
*life orb recoil happens*
Borutorosu fainted!

Put his life into that last hit
Also THUNDAGA'd
Alright...moment of truth here. If he sends out Terakion and I send out Lucario, he dies, Azumarill revenges, Sazandora revenges back, he wins. If he sends out Terakion and I Azumarill, I can Aqua Jet for the KO, then Lucario can finish off Sazandora. If he sends out Sazandora and I Lucario, I can Hi Jump Kick it to death. Terakion then kills it, Azumarill kills it back. If he sends out Sazandora and I Azumarill, he KOs me, Lucario revenges, Terakion kills. I have a 50/50 chance of getting this prediction right. Here goes nothing...

Ilse sent out Terakion!
The foe's Terakion is hurt by spikes!

This is the only method of describing how awesome this is.

75%
75%

Start of turn 12
Azumarill used Aqua Jet!
It's super effective!
The foe's Terakion lost 65% of its health!
The foe's Terakion fainted!

The sandstorm rages!
Ilse sent out Sazandora!

68%
See also: Doryuuzu's fate, replaced by
100%

I'm not switching to Lucario yet. If I win by one mon, I still win. May as well scout what the heck Ghidoripoff is going to do...

Start of turn 13
Azumarill used Aqua Jet!
The foe's Sazandora lost 23% of its health!

The foe's Sazandora used Draco Meteor!
Azumarill lost 278 HP! (68% of its health)
The foe's Sazandora's Sp. Att. sharply fell!
Azumarill fainted!

The sandstorm rages!
The foe's Sazandora is buffeted by the sandstorm!

And now...the moment of truth...

Met the fate of the dinosaurs
93%, -2 Sp.A

And now...can Lucario beat the dragon? I decide Hi Jump Kick is too risky, instead opting for ExtremeSpeed. In retrospect I wonder if Sazandora has Specs.

Tortferngatr sent out Lucario!

Start of turn 14
Lucario used ExtremeSpeed!
The foe's Sazandora lost 34% of its health!

The foe's Sazandora used Draco Meteor!
Lucario lost 85 HP! (30% of its health)
The foe's Sazandora's Sp. Att. sharply fell!

The sandstorm rages!
The foe's Sazandora is buffeted by the sandstorm!

And...

Start of turn 15
Lucario used ExtremeSpeed!
Tortferngatr: GG
The foe's Sazandora lost 30% of its health!
The foe's Sazandora fainted!

70%
Owned

Tortferngatr won the battle!
Tortferngatr: Good game!

Props:
-Azumarill, for being awesome and being played somewhat well
-MixTar, for being surprising and contributing to the most Pokemon fatalities on my side of the field
-"3 per side" mindgame
-Lucario, for doing its job.
-Sonic 1 and Sonic Colors, for the readily borrowed drowning theme.
-M Bison for "YES, YES"

Slops:
-Bad teambuilding on both sides
-Sazandora not seeing much action
-ScarfTini, because I should have used ScarfChomp
-Nattorei and Heatran, who didn't get to do their jobs
-Abagoora, who couldn't kill Victini with +2 Aqua Jet

Well, that's everything! Hope you enjoyed it, and if you didn't, well, it's my first warstory. See you all later in this forum!

Pretty good Warstory, taught me a lot more about fifth gen.

One thing I have to say though is your comments were more narrations of the battle rather than your thoughts...maybe you can improve that in your next warstory =) good luck in the future and nice battling

Agreed, I think comments could be better. The battle was okay and the teams weren't perfect, as you stated. But the formatting was nice and your narration was cool. I too learned a little about 5th generation pokemon. Thanks for the read and I look forward to the next one :D

7.5/10

...Yeah, come to think of it, Roobushin does seem like a good Pokemon. (Admittedly, I found myself wondering why the heck the guy didn't have a Landlos on his team...it would have covered his fighting weakness amazingly.) I'll probably try it sometime. I mentioned that the teams aren't perfect, though.

Thanks for the comments so far!

Nice battle, although as you pointed out your opponent would've been screwed against Fighting-Types. (Somehow that seems to happen to me more often than I'd like). Seems like a lot of first-time warstories are of good quality these days.

8/10

Cooky

Banned deucer.
Really fantastic formatting, unfortunately the battle itself seemed quite thoughtless and reactionary with little evidence of any planning or predictions. However despite this and some obvious flaws in the team building it was a pretty enjoyable read, which is what really counts.

I thought it was well-written and entertaining. His team was very poorly constructed, and yours had its issues, but the actual battling seemed to be fairly strong.

Water-typed priority is looking as valuable as I thought it might.

I suppose this warstory was ok, but I just couldn't enjoy it because of how outright ridiculous your opponents team was. HOW do you have a team with 6/6 members being weak to fighting??

Ah, thank you for both of those tips. I knew there was some damage I hadn't accounted for...and yeah, I really do admit to not knowing everything about Pokemon. I might run a non-CB Roopushin rather than Lucario so I can have safer switches.

Hate to be a naysayer, but I feel like this was a really bad battle. Your opponent's team was very poorly constructed and your team was not really well built. The play was very lacking; there wasn't much prediction to begin with, but that which was there was very basic. The battle had no real twists; it seemed like there were only a few turns between each kill and there weren't really any great prediction battles. As such, you never had to make any plans, whether short or long term, to get to a certain game state. Because of this, the battle doesn't make for an interesting warstory.

As to the commentary, it was not AWFUL. Again, the battle did little to provide you with commentary fodder. There were some stretches where it was very barren and some very unnecessary stuff added in.

The formatting was excellent, however. Very nice layout; appealing to read and easy on the eyes color and formatting wise.

I'd love to see you come back with a better battle as I feel like you have potential. But for this warstory, 4/10.

Agreed, I think comments could be better. The battle was okay and the teams weren't perfect, as you stated. But the formatting was nice and your narration was cool. I too learned a little about 5th generation pokemon. Thanks for the read and I look forward to the next one :D

7.5/10
The teams weren't perfect? :( Then it wouldn't be exciting!

Loved it so much, and I laughed hard at the THUNDAGA'd parts, as well as the Yes! YES!.
The battle itself was pretty cool, but there were some crude mistakes, like letting Heatran die so easily (imo).
9/10.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)