Serious What Has Pokemon Taught You? (Help for a paper)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pokemon had certainly taught me a lot and has taken me many places. In elementary school, I did not feel like I was able to connect to anyone. Eventually I found some kids playing Pokemon and I got involved. Using transitive logic, Pokemon taught me how to socialize better and make friends. When I got into competitive TCG, I was given the opportunity to travel to tournaments and meet even more friends as well as learn about different places as well.

When writing analyses, one must have a formal tone and use elevated diction and avoid word repetition to keep the analysis from getting stale. Pokemon taught me how to write and argue formally.

I always like it when a new gen comes out and the metagame hasn't been established yet, so any team I build and find success with is mine. I feel happier winning with a team I made by researching what stats a poke had and what it can learn so I could determine its best set and utilize it than I would with a team of the top 6 most used OU pokes. I like the creativity of designing my own sets before it becomes standard to run X with Y. Pokemon taught me that it's not about winning, but about how much you want to win: so much you actually put thought into your team instead of grabbing 6 sweepers.

Pokemon taught me about niches and usefulness. Why is Hippowdon in lower tiers when Tyranitar is in OU and sometimes Ubers? Outclassing. Tyranitar has so many possible movesets that it's almost impossible to just assume what it's running, even whether it's offensive or defensive. I have never heard, however, of an offensive Hippowdon. T-tar has better stats, thus outclassing the hippo.

An extension: why is Jumpluff--an NU or RU poke--used in Ubers (let's just say this is 4th gen; it makes the analogy better)? Niches. Groudon, the only Drought user (again, 4th gen) is in Ubers, activating Jumpluff's Chlorophyll, making it worthwhile.

Now, in any situation when I'm trying to impress anyone, even and especially myself, I look at what my niche is in this group. What am I best at here? In my choir, I can sing the highest of all males in my chest voice, so I try to present that talent to make myself seem impressive. I EV train my Darkrai in Special Attack and Speed because those are the two things it's damn good at. I teach it Dark Void because it's damn good at putting things to sleep.

Tl;dr, Pokemon taught me formal writing and arguing, the increased worth of self-made success, and the applications of usefulness and fulfilling niches in groups.

Pokemon has taught me a few core principles growing up

1.) Risk/reward is a very huge philosophy in the world. I myself have won and lost when it was all on the line.

2.) It is always good to have a plan(prediction). Also, obstacles on the show that Ash and co. conquered had me thinking it was smart to develop a plan for what lies ahead.

3.) Working harder to achieve something you want. Breeding, training to defeat gym leaders, evolving, and items. This all taught me that working hard does pay off down the line and helps with milestones.

I have a few more, but those are the core principles. Hope I helped and best of luck.

Pokemon has taught me that any animal can breed with another. Take a kitten and a whale for example. Oh and, you can stay underwater forever!(Kids: do not try this. This is the real world)

That abusing and using innocent animals to fight and possibly kill each other is okay.

No but honestly, competitive Pokemon has taught me about strategy and that I probably shouldn't run Moonblast and Dazzling Gleam on the same Sylveon.

Yes! My parents always tell me I play too much Pokemon, but they have no idea about competitive battling and all the lessons learned through the game. Pokemon can teach you persistence, when you're trying to Masuda breed a shiny Bulbasaur with 5 perfect IVs, trying to level up your Magikarp to level 20 to evolve, and trying to catch 'em all to get a Shiny charm.

Pokemon also taught me to be prepared for what's ahead. One time, in my Fire Red version, I went through Victory Road and found out all my Pokemon were like level 42. This also applies to Nuzlockes, where you have to know what's ahead, otherwise it will kill you.

Another lesson is that some people are just better at you at some things, like how Blue picks the starter that is super effective against you. In Showdown, I admit, I win like 85% of the time, but I almost always lose in the Battle Spot in Pokemon X. It's probably because I accidentally traded my leftovers away.

Yet another lesson is to be generous with what you have. On the GTS, I see people giving Wurmples away and asking for Zekrom. Sometimes you need to just chill down and trade a Pokemon for something good, but something that a lot of players actually have.

Stature, i read the pokedex a lot and learned the heights of Pokemon. My moms as tall as Swampert (4'11) and I remember being that tall when playing Gen3.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)