ORAS OU What's Defense? Char-Tar Hyper Offense (1700+)

ARE YOU TIRED OF USING BALANCED TEAMS?
DO YOU LIKE HAVING EASILY EXPLOITABLE WEAKNESSES?
ARE SET-UP SWEEPERS OVERRATED?
DO YOU HATE FERROTHORN MORE THAN THE DEVIL HIMSELF?

If the answer to any of the above questions is "yes, you know me so well!" then this might just be the team for you. This team relies on predictions and outplaying in order to succeed, as it lacks safe switch-ins to quite a few threats, at the advantage of putting immense pressure on teams that tend to play defensively, and players who tend to make the safest plays possible. The games played with this team also tend to be very short, either through eliminating a key defensive component of the opposing team, or losing too much momentum to preserve a win condition. You will not win with this team unless you double-switch and even triple-switch.

Lust (Weavile) @ Life Orb
Ability: Pressure
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Low Kick
- Knock Off
- Icicle Crash
- Ice Shard

Team Captain / Revenge-Killer
Weavile is probably my favorite pokemon to use in this metagame, thanks to its ability to check or cripple the majority of the tier with Knock Off + Icicle Crash. Weavile's frail nature is general reflection of this teams nature. One of my favorite things about Weavile's synergy with this team is how it acts as Scizor bait, allowing for a relatively risk-free double switch to Charizard when Weavile is sent out to revenge kill an opposing threat that the opposing M-Sciz team needs to win.

Pride (Landorus-Therian) @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 Spe
Impish Nature
- U-turn
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Stealth Rock

Team Lead / Momentum Preserver
This is pretty standard stuff, but it really is appreciated for any physical mon that threatens the rest of the team. I dislike how it is easily outsped, but it really isnt here to apply offensive pressure (except against stuff like Heatran and SpDef Jirachi). U-turn is incredible for initiative; Earthquake is here because this is a Landorus. Stone Edge is here for anything that doesn't get hit by Earthquake, and to hit things on obvious EQ switch-outs. Landorus is amazing late-game death fodder, thanks to intimidate. Rocky Helmet is chosen over Lefties because the chip damage is really appreciated to make sure things can't recklessly switch around.

Wrath (Charizard-Mega-Y) @ Charizardite Y
Ability: Drought
Shiny: Yes
Happiness: 0
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Fire Blast
- Focus Blast
- Solar Beam
- Roost

Wallbreaker / "The Threat"
I was thinking about using a bulkier spread, but honestly it didn't seem like there was much of a point. I like to lead with Charizard many times, as getting off my Mega Evolution and getting sun up can really help the rest of the team with water type attacks. Click Focus Blast whenever there is a Heatran around. Stay in on Band TTar. Switch in the turn Skarmory wants to set up stealth rocks. Click Fire Blast on Lati's if Tyranitar is still healthy.

Gluttony (Tyranitar) @ Choice Band
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 88 HP / 252 Atk / 168 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Stone Edge
- Crunch
- Superpower
- Pursuit

Trapper / Stallbreaker
TTar hits like a truck. I like to play my Tyranitar very conservatively, because it will often get a kill if it can get a free switch-in, and can break down defensive cores if played correctly. The standard CB set is used in order to make sure that my team is as predictable as possible. All jokes aside, Tyranitar's checks are handled pretty well by the rest of the team. Click Pursuit on scarf Landorus, because people love to use U-turn when Latios is alive. Click Superpower on Chansey, because people that use Chansey are usually not the brightest and will probably try to stay in on your Pursuit. Sack something against Mega Manectric so you can pursuit-trap it.

Envy (Latios) @ Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Defog
- Psychic
- Ice Beam

Special Threat / Fast Defogger / Water Resist
I chose Latios over Latias for its ability OHKO many more pokemon at the sacrifice of lower defense. This set has Ice Beam in order to snipe SpDef Gliscor, Landorus, Altaria, and hit opposing dragons without losing momentum. Ice Beam can easily be swapped out for roost (which I have used on this team in the past many times), preventing Latios from getting whittled down too easily. Psychic is used to hit clefable slightly harder, although I haven't noticed much of a difference between that and Psyshock on this team.

Greed (Excadrill) @ Assault Vest
Ability: Sand Rush
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Rapid Spin
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide
- Iron Head

Speed Check / Bulkier Spinner
Sand Rush is pretty broken overall, and Assault Vest allows me to tank hits from Scarf Keldeo, Diancie, and random HP fires on faster pokemon. This pokemon acts as a late-game win condition if TTar can be brought in and the opposing ground resist has been weakend. Adamant is chosen over Jolly because Assault Vest > Life Orb means Excadrill needs to have higher attack in order to remain a threat. I use rapid spin because Charizard and Weavile really hate hazards, and hazards are pretty stupid overall. If i can get sun up with Charizard, Excadrill feels much less threatened by opposing water types thanks to AV, which is huge. Excadrill is my primary Metagross check as well, provided i can get a free switch in and sand is up.

Playstyle Notes
This team is different from most Hyper-Offense teams in that it lacks a Setup Sweeper, which I would consider a slight weakness, but not something that hampers the functionality of the team as a whole. In the team-building process I felt that a Setup Sweeper would lose too much momentum against stall and bulkier teams, which tend to have multiple checks to common setup sweepers. This team also lacks status infliction, which can be a serious problem at times when a t-wave or W-o-W is needed. Overall, the team is extremely predictable to experienced players, but still manages to succeed with enough outplaying, provided the matchup isn't horrendus. Stall matchups aren't that bad at all, although the lack of taunt on this team is problematic at times.

Threat List:

Jolly Mega Medicham - really a huge threat to any team, but it forces me to either risk a speed tie with Charizard or scout for bullet punch before letting Weavile get significant damage off.

Diancie - Excadrill is my main check to Diancie, however if I can force it to take enough chip damage, Weavile will be able to handle it thanks to Diancie's sup-par bulk.

Hazard Stacking teams with both Bisharp and a Spin Blocker - Bisharp in general is a pretty big nuisance, but low kick on weavile allows me to OHKO any non-sash variant. Scarf Bisharp (while uncommon) is simply not a threat, because it must switch out considerably allowing for outplays. This team is pretty reliant on hazard removal to maintain offensive pressure.

Mega Lopunny - I really dislike Lopunny, but can simply shuffle intimidate and get up sand to force it out. TTar + Excadrill are necessary for lopunny matchups.

Mega Pinsir after SD - Weavile's Ice Shard only does ~60%, but stealth rock + rocky helmet will easily put it in that range. I usually have to sack landorus to force it out after a swords dance.

Baton Pass - A.K.A "Skillful Strategies" - I am heavily considering Taunt Leftovers Thundurus on this team, however I struggle to find a good place to switch him in. This team gets 6-0'd by manaphy after tail glow at +2 speed.

Please let me know of how I can improve this teams overall bulk / ability to handle common threats. I have considered CM clef as a late-game win condition, or even unaware clef as a panic-button check to setup sweepers, but struggle to find places where I can make this addition.

Last edited:
This ISN'T a rate but: what about Thundurus for Latios? I think that can be the place for him since you already have RS and Weavile/TTar can deal with Ghosts (Gengar will miss Focus Blast, I promise).

Probably something like:

Thundurus @ Leftovers
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Thunder Wave
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power Ice
- Taunt

Hey IWantYouBad I really like your suggestion! I think I might have to try it out! :]
I like having a secondary defogger since people tend to want to get rid of excadrill pretty fast, but Taunt is an amazing move for stall counterplay, plus Thundurus has an amazing speed.

Amazing speed and Prankster. Your Exca is well protected :)

I think I will try this Team out by the way, I really like Zard Y in general and I don't see him that often.

Your Team Before:

✧✧✧Hello, Anime_Fan here✧✧✧

Congrats on the team, I like the Double-Weather core you have going on. The team is well focused on offence and has great speed, which is great for pressuring defence and offensive teams. I can see how the team can cut a match short. So well done on that ^^

That said, here are some minor changes which should improve your team's performance in battle. The changes are based on the Pokemon you're using, so the sets may not be generic (if that's okay with you). Anyhow, I'll summarise the problems troubling the team and suggest answers to them. So without further ado, let's get started!

Threats To The Team:
  • Strong offensive threats can break past your walls and counters e.g. Choice Spec Volcanion, Thundurus etc.
  • Stealth Rock is a huge weakness for this. The best way to solve this problem is to remove SR weak Pokemon.
  • Poor defensive synergy. A good offensive team needs support from a defensive pivot. Your wall and counter share similar type-weaknesses which can be disadvantageous during battle i.e. Ice, Fighting, Dragon and Fairy.
Solutions You Can Try:

[Major Changes]
Clefable @ Leftovers

Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 172 Def / 84 SpD

Calm Nature
Calm Mind
Moonblast
Soft-Boiled
Thunder Wave

I recommend adding Clefable to the team as it increases the team's defensive synergy. Clefable absorbs status, counters and checks most threats the trouble the team. It also acts as a win con and isn't fazed by entry hazards.
Your team doesn't need Weavile as it has enough wallbreakers, plus the additional SR weakness is very crippling. When combined with its pitiful defence and Life Orb damage Weavile isn't going to be last very long. Removing Weavile reduces the team's weakness to Fighting-types (this is because your fighting resists are weak to Ice-type moves which most fighting types have).

Note: This set gives you a great win con that can "Game Over" for the opponent if played right. Clefable protects the team against Kyruem-B, Mega Diancie, Weavile, Thundurus, as well as opposing Lati-twin. Clefable can run 6 IVs in speed, which allows it to set up on Ferrothorn.
[Minor Changes]
Landorus-Therian @ Rocky Helmet

EVs: 248 HP / 244 Def / 16 Spe
Impish Nature
Earthquake
Stealth Rock
Hidden Power [Ice]
Stone Edge

Running Hidden Power Ice over U-Turn gives Landorus-T the means to beat Garchomp and opposing Landorus-T. This prevents Latios from getting lured and Pursuit trapped, it also stops Choice Scarf Landorus-T from becoming a threat.
The 16 EVs in speed is used to outpace opposing defensive Landorus-T. This allows your Landorus-T to hit them with Hidden Power Ice before they can U-Turn into safety. The 8 EVs in Sp. Def isn't useful as the team has numerous ways to KO Mega Manetric.
Note: A Lax nature is preferred in order to allow HP Ice to hit harder. However sparing the Sp. Def may come in handy against threats like Gengar. If using a Choice Scarf Tyranitar, I recommend running a Lax nature on Landorus-T.

[Minor Changes]
Tyranitar (M) @ Choice Band

EVs: 80 HP / 252 Atk / 176 Spe
Adamant Nature
Stone Edge
Crunch
Superpower
Pursuit

Your Mega Charizard Y and Tyranitar sets are very good. However, I'd like to suggest running more speed on T-tar. This is because Tyranitar can actually Pursuit Trap and KO a weakened Politoed (which is a huge accomplishment when going up against Rain Teams). It also allows Tyranitar to outspeed Mega Venusaur, as well as max speed Adamant Azumarill.

Note: Running additional speed on Tyranitar reduces its bulk, this makes it very dangerous to switch into powerful threats like Latios.
[Minor Changes]
Latios @ Life Orb

Timid Nature
Draco Meteor
Psyshock
Surf / Hidden Power Fighting
Roost

Latios has great STAB and it is enough to pressure and KO the threats you mentioned. You don't need Psychic as it leaves Latios walled by Special threats and Assualt Vest users. Psyshock is the better option for beating Clefable (the fairy can set up Calm Minds to counter psychic). Ice Beam isn't useful because you already have excellent STAB. Excadrill out-speeds and KOs Mega Altaria.

Note: You need Roost in order to continuously counter water, electric and fire types e.g. Keldeo, Thundurus and Volcanion. For that reason, Roost is extremely important because it stops those threats can pressuring your team. Surf is preferred as it hits Tyranitar, Heatran and Gliscor very hard. That said if sunny day becomes problematic then Surf should be replaced with HP Fighting.
Sometimes Charizard's sun can be a problem because it reduces the power of Surf. This is especially bad if the foe has a healthy Heatran and Tyranitar. Hidden Power Fighting isn't affected by the sun and can help beat these threats. That said the speed drop is awful.

Edit: If this was my team I would probably run these sets on Latios and Excadrill. The changes will allow Excadrill to pressure Stall teams particularly Mega Sableye and Quagsire, as well as evade Bisharp's Sucker Punch. The set on Latios is mainly used for removing entry hazards. Surf will be missed as hitting Tyranitar, Heatran, Gliscor is no longer possible...

[Minor Changes]
Excadrill (M) @ Chople Berry / Life Orb

EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
Earthquake
Iron Head
Substitute / X-Scissor / Rock Slide
Rapid Spin

I recommend running a Jolly nature as it will give you the advantage over opposing Excadrills (using Adamant nature). A healthy Landorus-T is usually enough to counter opposing Excadrills, however, if you lose Landorus-T then the foe can sweep your team with ease.

Note: A Chople Berry allows Excadrill lure and KO certain threats e.g. Mega Metagross, Gengar, Alakazam, Mega Gardevoir etc. Replacing Life Orb compliments Excadrill as it removes entry hazards and sets up Substitute. If using other moves and not Substitute, then I believe Life Orb is appropriate. These are options to consider.

Edit: If this was my team I would probably run these sets on Latios and Excadrill. The changes will allow Excadrill to pressure Stall teams particularly Mega Sableye and Quagsire, as well as evade Bisharp's Sucker Punch. The set on Latios is mainly used for removing entry hazards. Surf will be missed as hitting Tyranitar, Heatran, Gliscor is no longer possible...

Your Team After:

With these suggestions, I hope you team fares well in battle. I made some weird changes here and there, but I believe they're effective in giving your team a means to handle their threats. On a side note, I also love Full Metal Alchemist and I wish you the best of luck laddering. Peace!

Import Team:
Clefable @ Leftovers
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 172 Def / 84 SpD
Calm Nature
- Calm Mind
- Moonblast
- Soft-Boiled
- Thunder Wave

Landorus-Therian @ Rocky Helmet
EVs: 248 HP / 244 Def / 16 Spe
Impish Nature
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Stone Edge

Charizard @ Charizardite Y
Ability: Blaze
Timid Nature
- Fire Blast
- Solar Beam
- Focus Blast
- Roost

Tyranitar (M) @ Choice Band
EVs: 80 HP / 252 Atk / 176 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Stone Edge
- Crunch
- Superpower
- Pursuit

Latios @ Life Orb
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Defog
- Roost

Excadrill (M) @ Life Orb
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Iron Head
- Substitute
- Swords Dance

P.S. Here's a replay that showcases your team in action ^^

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)