ORAS OU Wish Upon a Star (SubToxic Jirachi Offense, peaked 1689)

Who's the best Tapu?

• Tapu Koko

Votes: 9 40.9%
  • Tapu Lele

Votes: 9 40.9%
  • Tapu Bulu

Votes: 2 9.1%
  • Tapu Fini

Votes: 2 9.1%

• Total voters
The Last Face You'll Ever See

0================================================================0
Overview

Hi all, Grimchomp aka The Grim Garchomp with my first RMT after 2.5 years (I forgot the password and the email I used for my old profile lol). SubToxic Jirachi was a nifty little thing I wanted to try after getting back into Pokemon, and it has proved very useful and powerful, as a fairy check and a bulky wincon. It alone has saved me 9 games and counting, and brought me to 1600+. However, I can't break into 1700s bcos I'm fkin terrible the team may need some improvement. So here I am now. Without further ado, the team!
Teambuilding

I started out with SubToxic Jirachi and Banded Crawdaunt, a powerful core that pretty much 6-0s stall. Crawdaunt lures all the physical walls that it doesn't already break down, such as Tangrowth, for Jirachi to SubToxic on and break down. Similarly, Jirachi lures bulky grounds, fires, and physical walls that it can't beat like Skarmory for Crawdaunt to come in and give hell.

The recently popular Specs Kyurem was added next for the sheer power it has to wallbreak the most sturdiest of walls, plus the dragon-steel synergy with Jirachi. Kyurem also shits on Mega Venusaur, something both Jirachi and Crawdaunt struggle with, 2HKOing on the switch, or if it's offensive, an OHKO from Draco Meteor after rocks.

Mega Scizor was added after to aid Jirachi in killing fairies, which Crawdaunt and Kyurem are both weak to, while providing a slow U-Turn to bring in Crawdaunt safely to punch some holes.

Since I had a problem against Fighting moves, I brought in Clefable and Zapdos, while forming a VoltTurn core with Zapdos & Scizor and a DFS core with Clefable's new addition. Plus, Clefable provides Stealth Rock and Zapdos provides Defog.

I had a big problem with Keldeo and my team was absurdly slow, so I took out Kyurem and Megazor for Specs Latios and Megasaur, which took care of Keldeo, kept a fighting resist and a fairy killer in the form of Megasaur's Poison typing, while giving me immunity to Spore and increasing my team's speed in the form of Latios. I did lose my VoltTurn but it is a small sacrifice. The team is complete.
0============================================================0​
Detailed Analysis

Livin' on a Prayer (Jirachi) @ Leftovers
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 252 HP / 160 Atk / 96 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Iron Head
- Fire Punch
- Toxic
- Substitute

Woah, we're half way there
Woah, livin' on a prayer
Take my hand, we'll make it I swear
Woah, livin' on a prayer

~ Bon Jovi

Kicking it off is our bulky wincon, and haxmaster, SubToxic Jirachi. Leftovers gives Jirachi some form of recovery, to setup 9000 Substitutes, allowing it to evade yucky status and stallbreak better while slowly regenerating safely behind a Substitute. Toxic is the main killer of this set, which breaks down the bulkiest of walls without fail. Combined with Iron Head, the enemy can't even move while it slowly takes more and more damage until death. Fire Punch are for the steel types that are immune to Toxic, namely Scizor and non-Rocky Helmet Skarmory. The HP EVs give Jirachi maximum bulk, as well as giving it's Substitutes 101 HP, meaning Seismic Toss will not break the Subs. The Speed EVs give Jirachi the ability to outpace base 80s like Mamoswine, with 286 Speed, and the remaining are dumped into Attack to give Jirachi that extra oomph on Iron Head and Fire Punch.

Jekyll and Hyde (Crawdaunt) @ Choice Band
Ability: Adaptability
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Knock Off
- Crabhammer
- Crunch
- Aqua Jet

There's just so much goddamned weight on your shoulders
That you can't just live your motherfucking life
The story's getting old and my heart is getting colder
I just wanna be Jekyll, but I'm always fighting Hyde
~ Five Finger Death Punch

Next on the list is our physical wallbreaker, Banded Crawdaunt. With the Choice Band and Adaptibility, Crawdaunt's power reaches godlike levels, where only a small few can take hits from it, and only four come to mind that can take it consistently (Tangrowth, Mega Altaria and the rare RestTalkers Poliwrath & Keldeo). Crabhammer and Knock Off are the STAB nukes, and Crunch is the secondary STAB and Mega-killer, since it doesn't lose power after Knocking Off an item. Aqua Jet is for some powerful priority, to compensate for Crawdaunt's slow speed. The EVs and Nature make Crawdaunt as fast and powerful as possible, outspeeding common walls like Skarmory and Hippowdon to break them down.

The Pretender (Latios) @ Choice Specs
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Surf
- Trick

What if I say I'm not like the others?
What if I say I'm not just another one of your plays?
You're the pretender
What if I say I will never surrender?

~ Foo Fighters

Specs Latios is a very helpful addition to the team for two reasons. Firstly, it checks Keldeo and Mega Venusaur, two very prominent foes at first. Secondly and more importantly, it is faster than base 100s, which the remaining team are not, leaving me easily outsped and picked off by just relatively fast Pokemon. Draco Meteor is a death sentence to everything that does not resist it with Choice Specs, and Psyshock is the more reliable and spammable STAB that dosn't decrease in power after each use. Surf is mainly for Heatran, but hits Tyranitar hard as well. Trick cripples Latio's counters, which is usually a steel wall, giving me freedom to move and most Lefties recovery while the opponent is stuck throwing Stealth Rock/Toxic/setup moves again and again. The EVs are like Crawdaunt's, fast and strong as possible. 0 IVs is to take less damage from Foul Play.

Audience of One (Venusaur) @ Venusaurite
Ability: Chlorophyll
EVs: 232 HP / 252 SpA / 24 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 SpA / 30 Spe
- Giga Drain
- Sludge Bomb
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Synthesis

But we ran away
Now all my friends have gone
Maybe we've outgrown all the things that we once loved
Run away
But what are we running from?
A show of hands from those in this audience of one
Where have they gone?

~ Rise Against

As my offensive tank, Mega Venusaur is second to none with it's power, yet sheer bulk that allows it to shrug off hits and hit back harder, regaining HP in the process, only getting bulkier after getting Thick Fat. Giga Drain and Sludge Bomb are the compulsory STABs, with Giga Drain's HP recovery and Sludge Bomb's poison chance plaguing the opponent, with MVenu so hard to kill. To top it off, Synthesis heals 50% right back, making all the enemy's efforts a bunch of wasted PP instead. HP Fire brings down the steels that try to counter MVenu, like Scizor and Ferrothorn. The EVs and nature are standard, maximum Special Attack, enough speed to outpace Azumarill and speedcreep other MVenu, and maximum bulk.

Hell Song (Zapdos) @ Leftovers
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 248 HP / 172 Def / 68 SpA / 20 Spe
Bold Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Roost
- Defog
- Heat Wave

Part of me, won't agree
'Cause I dunno if it's for sure
Suddenly, suddenly
I dont feel so insecure
Anymore

~ Sum 41

As my defogger and physical wall, Zapdos supports my team very well, and functions as a very good Scizor counter with Heat Wave. Thunderbolt is the chosen STAB, with it's 100% accuracy and respectable power thanks due it's natural Special Attack. Roost gives Zapdos more bulk and longevity along with Leftovers, ensuring it's survival. Defog is self-explanatory, keeping entry hazards off our field so my team has more room to move. Heat Wave, aside from Scizor, kills steels and grasses that Thunderbolt can't take down. The EVs are standard, giving Zapdos maximum defensive bulk whilst keeping it's HP odd to be able to switch into Stealth Rock 4 times. The SpAtk EVs give Zapdos a guaranteed kill on Mega Pinsir with Thunderbolt and the Speed EVs allow Zapdos to outspeed Adamant Bisharp and other Zapdos (241 over the standard 240).

Go Robot (Clefable) @ Leftovers
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 172 Def / 84 SpD
Calm Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Moonblast
- Thunder Wave
- Soft-Boiled

Tell me now, I know that it just won't stop
You will find your flow when you go robot
I want to thank you and spank you upon your silver skin
Robots don't care where I've been
You've got to choose it to use it, so let me plug it in
Robots are my next of kin

~ Red Hot Chili Peppers

Clefable is a top-tier Pokemon in OU, and for good reason. Blessed with Magic Guard and the powerful fairy typing, it can perform a variety of functions, be it a CM set, Stealth Rock lead, Unaware Wall, or the offensive Stealth Rock-HP Ground Dankfable. In this case, I am using the standard Stealth Rock set. Aside from the obvious Stealth Rock, Clefable is mainly here to form a Dragon-Fairy-Steel core with Latios and Jirachi, provide speed control through Thunder Wave, and basically be a large pink panic button due to it's mixed bulk. Nothing much else to explain, so I'll end it there.

Threatlist

No switchins at all, it's just too powerful ;-;. I have to revengekill it with Latios or TWave it with FULL HEALTH Clefable for the rest of the team to handle.

Stealth Rock and Clefable have to be alive and healthy to beat this. After a Quiver Dance, it picks off my entire team except Clefable, which can TWave it for Crawdaunt to handle. Otherwise, pray you crit Sludge Bomb on MVenu.

Same thing with Volcarona, it's blinding speed means it breaks down my team without even getting hit, simply because it kills us before we kill it. TWave it with Clefable or pray for an Aqua Jet crit from Crawdaunt.

More coming soon!

Conclusion

Well, that's it from me, thanks for reading and I look forward to your rates soon!

Livin' on a Prayer (Jirachi) @ Leftovers
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 252 HP / 160 Atk / 96 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Iron Head
- Fire Punch
- Toxic
- Substitute

Jekyll and Hyde (Crawdaunt) @ Choice Band
Ability: Adaptability
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Knock Off
- Crabhammer
- Crunch
- Aqua Jet

The Pretender (Latios) @ Choice Specs
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Surf
- Trick

Audience of One (Venusaur) @ Venusaurite
Ability: Chlorophyll
EVs: 232 HP / 252 SpA / 24 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 SpA / 30 Spe
- Giga Drain
- Sludge Bomb
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Synthesis

Hell Song (Zapdos) @ Leftovers
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 248 HP / 172 Def / 68 SpA / 20 Spe
Bold Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Roost
- Defog
- Heat Wave

Go Robot (Clefable) @ Leftovers
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 172 Def / 84 SpD
Calm Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Moonblast
- Thunder Wave
- Soft-Boiled

Last edited:

DennisEG

Civil Engineer
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Hey man i really love sub toxic rachi, works so good against stall and some fat balance squads. The team in terms of synergy is fine, as you handle most of the threats in some way or another, like directly switching or revenge kill as you mention in your thretlist.
I think the only problem of the team is that is too slow, and might struggle to revenge some pokes like Mega kazam if you lose crawdaunt for example. Id give you some suggestion that might help your team:
  • First is give a bit more speed to Jirachi, as you dont really need that much attack. Some benchmark are 300 to outspeed base 100 neutral speed like mega medicham or Kyurem for example. Another benchmark could be 319 to outspeed max speed kyurem and landot.
  • Another suggestion is make scarf Latios rather then specs, you already have 2 wallbreakers in crawdaunt + rachi but you lack speed. Latios would give even a surprise factor to catch some megas off guard.
  • Then discharge would be more helpful than tbolt on zapdos, 30% chance of paralisys is great for a slow wallbreaker like crawdaunt and also benefic jirachi clicking iron head.
  • And last since your team doesnt appreciated fighting types like mega lop and mega heracross, i suggest a bold clef with 216 evs on defense, this way you have solid switching for those mons and weavile too.
Hope i help you, gl :toast:

Hey man, I really like how your team looks. It's a pretty unique take on venusaur balance with some cool wall breakers and fun ways to break stall. The main issue when using zapdos or clef as the primary physical tank is that your team begins to struggle a lot with excadrill and charizard-x. I think Dennis' suggestion of running scarf latios is a great one because it gives you a way to revenge +1 zardx. Btw, the only mon zardx can dd on is zapdos so it isn't a huuuge threat but still something to watch out for.

I don't wanna change your team too much so in order to help vs excadrill, I think 2 changes would be beneficial: running a physically defensive venusaur and changing crawdaunt from band to swords dance. If you put max defense on venusaur, then you avoid the 2hko from life orb excadrill without rocks. Nowadays, excadrill aren't even running life orb so this is only beneficial for your team. The second change gives crawdaunt the option to swap between moves meaning the opponent has less opportunities to pivot around your attacks. Consider a scenario where you just killed something off with crawdaunt. Your opponent can now send in excadrill knowing your choice locked which just gives him more opportunities to dismantle your team. But by removing the band, you give your opponent less chances to attack.

My rule of thumb is: if you don't have a solid check to something, do not give it free turns at all. Right now, your rachi has fire punch, zapdos has heat wave, etc etc so the only things giving it a free turn would be clef and latios (and latios still does decent damage to it).

Nice team, hope I helped!

Last edited:
Hi DennisEG and obii, thanks for the rates. The extra speed on the Jirachi works wonders, while I lose the ability to 2HKO Bulky MZor, Zapdos still handles it fine to not much difference there, and Adamant MMedi is a thing of the past now.

With the Scarf Latios, Volcarona and Megazam are dealt with well, since I can Trick the Volcs into Quiver Dance or simply outspeed and revengekill Zam, so it works amazing. And as you said obii, zard x is now easily dealt with. Usually I'd pressure the rocks on and TWave it but this works better.

I am a bit iffy on Discharge though, as the main reason I run Thunderbolt is to guarantee an OHKO on MPinsir, which otherwise would shit on me. However, I can see that after the Discharge, I can still revengekill with Crawdaunt SO LONG AS there is no Stealth Rocks on my field and Crawdaunt is full health. That situation is too risky and I think I would play it safe and keep TBolt. Clefable still paralyses with TWave anyways.

The bold Clefable works well, it's a bit harder to TWave Zam and Volc but Scarf Latios handles them so it's all good.

No idea what the physically defensive Venu set is but I'll assume it's the Smogon defensive set. It's been working well, since it fills the role of panic button after Clefable became more physically defensive. I'll miss the offensive power that it has, though.

SD Crawdaunt is a great fit to the team, as you said, don't let it have free turns. Excadrill is wrecked easy as pie and it still 6-0s stall fine. Made all the changes to the team, though I can't edit the RMT cos arm broken lel. Thanks again!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)