wow, its been 16 years

Solace

royal flush
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus

all of my video game related stuff, i have a pokewalker somewhere and emerald as well, but i cant find them right now and didnt really feel like looking all over for them...

the blue case on the left and the pen stylus was a cool promo from toys r us that came as a bundle with pokemon pearl

i wish i could find my copy of yellow but i think thats been long thrown away unfortunately, along with my purple GBC...

also please dont mind the stickers on my gba sp, im pretty sure it was like an 8th birthday gift and i wish i could get all of them off now :(

either way its pretty weird looking back and thinking about how big a part of my life pokemon's been, as cliche as it sounds!

My brother was five and I was six when he got Yellow Version and a Game Boy Color for Christmas. (I got Furbies or something... idr). Neither of us had touched a video game controller or handheld before, but that moment basically got us hooked. A childhood-defining moment, I guess. We played through it together. We struggled so much with Brock, I still maintain Yellow Brock is harder than GSC Whitney (unless you think of getting Mankey, I guess?). Then we went to our grandparents' and my three or four-year-old little cousin restarted our game, so we had to restart it and do it all again T_T We used a Pidgeotto to do it lol, always. We don't play video games together anymore, but until I got my own GBC and Crystal Version, we always played Yellow and Gold.

I remember I was so terrified facing down Champion Gary, the pressure was immense and the music scared me, and when I finally beat him I felt the most overwhelming relief. Then the credits played and it finally went black and said... THE END. So I thought the game died or something and we'd never be able to replay it. I almost cried with joy when the game restarted and I could play it. ^_^

Mt. Moon was hard... people in the school playground were all stumped trying to get out of it lol let alone Rock Tunnel.

Sadly my brother's Yellow Version stopped working years ago, so my brother actually bought a new one from eBay and replayed it heh

I really loved RBY, but I have so many memories of GSC as well. A lot of you might have heard this story but there was this kid at school who wanted my beloved lv. 70?ish Politoed, and offered me a cloned lv. 100 Dragonite. Well, trading wasn't big at my school and I thought that Dragonite was so damn badass, so I did it. Then I went home and missed my Politoed and cried my eyes out. I rushed to find him during lunch the next day and begged for the Politoed back. He agreed and I got to keep the Dragonite too since it was cloned. It has been claimed that my Politoed was cloned, but look, when you share a bond with your Pokémon, you know these things...

I used to totally own my brother with that Politoed (it knew Hypnosis) over link cable.

Good memories of the TCG as well. Said kid didn't want his trading cards anymore so he smuggled bundles of them into the playground in elastic bands and hairbands and whatnot and split them up between my brother and me. I still have a million Grass Energies from that. We didn't own a rulebook or damage counters or anything, so I made up the rules as I went along (since I was also a disgusting little cheater as a kid lol) to suit me. Like oh this card has a higher Lv., so I get to attack first. Then if my card had a lower Lv. than his, I'd say this Pokémon is OBVIOUSLY faster than that Pokémon, or it has more HP, etc. etc. And if we wanted a card we'd just look through our decks to find it. I bought one of those official decks during the EX era and tried to teach my brother but he didn't like playing with rules and ragequit.

Carl

or Varl
is a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
i told you on irc but yeah it's dragon warrior monsters. literally the perfect hold over game between rby and gsc.

Pocket

be the upgraded version of me
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Lol I remember pestering a kid who had a Japanese Silver Version when I was in elementary school summer camp - so lame. Then I finally got my own Japanese Silver version and GBC when I was in middle school. But then I realized I couldn't interact with my friends who had English Silver version so I tried to trade my jap one for an english version at GameStop. Of course they didn't accept the trade, so I had to buy my English Silver. By that time everybody else was too old for Pokemon ;_;

Holy crap... that's a Famicom GB Micro. SOOOO beyond jealous right now.
I can't tell by the pics since it's small/tad blurry, but that could just as easily be that mario edition micro or whatever couldn't it? Mine looks just like it at any rate I think, and I picked it up for like $70 or so after they were all starting to get discontinued.

I'm definitely gonna have to dig up my old shit for pics now, as I have a ton of old stuff.

Used Master Ball on Pidgeot, collected all 150 Pokés in the Dex to "get Mew", got stuck in that damn Team Rocket basement with the switches to open different sequences of doors, was convinced that blacking out was a game over, always used Fissure Blastoise, thought that the Hall of Fame - Missingno. glitch meant the previous owner of my Blue cart had used glitches for years to get all of those entries, always lost if opponent used Wrap, wasn't allowed to play Pokémon at sheltered Christian school, thought I discovered a glitch when I realized that during the Missingno. glitch if you go to the locked Cinnabar gym door the Old Man appears on the roof, thought that Cubone in the Lavendar Tower was a glitch, scared as shit about Lavendar Town before I heard any creepy story, released Amnesia Psyduck

Edit: Thought that Cut hit Grass-types harder than normal moves

I first got G/S and my Game Color on Christmas and I remember playing them all day long. I remember I got stuck on them because I caught almost every pokemon I ran into, so I had my totodile and than like 2 Pidgey, 2 Rattata, and a Sentret in my party. But I couldn't figure how to switch my party pokemon with my pc pokemon, so I didn't catch anything unless I wanted to use it. I didn't learn about the pc until a couple weeks later when I asked one of my friends at school.

Also, finding everything in the first 3 generation of games without the Internet.(My family didn't own a computer until 2007 when I graduated high school, no joke)

And who can forget trying to get Mew out of that damn truck. >_<

Oh yeah
My first shiny was a Pidgey in Diamond
Then I transferred it to my HG
Then my DS flew out of my shirt pocket and I lost the cartridge

200th post you guys

Hipmonlee

Have a nice day
is a Community Contributoris a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Four-Time Past WCoP Champion
I figured out the braille without using the internet, though I knew beforehand it was braille.

I was on a train at the time, and I went to the bathroom, and there were braille versions of the signs in there. So I got some of the letters from those and had to fill in the gaps.

I was pretty pleased with myself.

Stratos

Banned deucer.
hipmonlee you must be some kind of god.

also seconding whoever said Mt Moon was tough shit - 6 year old me was too stupid to remember which ladders he'd descended and spent days stuck in the main atrium. I went back recently and I was all "holy butts this is so easy..."

EDIT @ GLEN: PUDDING AND CUSTARD HAHAHAHAHAHAH

I didn't know it was braille but I managed to decipher that the symbols on the side were the alphabet + punctuation.

I've been doing cryptograms my whole life.

I could read the braille, but I couldn't ever catch a relicanth for the longest time, even with false swipe and dive balls. Stupid 25 catch rate.

You figured out the braille writing without using the internet?

Infinite respect.
Well I didn't know how to read braille, but I've seen braille before and I guess that was what it was. I actually figured out the first chamber was the alphabet by counting how many symbols there were. There's 28, but as we all know there is 26 letters, so since the two symbols on the right seemed out of place, I guessed they weren't letters.(I assumed they were punctuation marks) So I wrote all the symbols out on a piece of paper and then put the corresponding letter to each symbol, and to my surprised, it all matched.

Tbh, I had more trouble with those stupid sliding puzzles in the Ruins of Alph. >_>

I can beat most of these lists, unfortunanly it looks silly without second gen, its barely a collection to be honest.

I still have no idea how I missed ALL of gen 2.

i was the exact same

when i was younger i just really hated catching mons, i have no idea why. i only wanted to catch the ones i would use. i just did rock tunnel in the dark every time
i did EXACTLY the same thing. i only caught the pokes i thought were the coolest because i would only use the coolest pokes. so i did charmander, raised a magicarp to gyrados, maybe caught a sandshrew if i was feeling adventurous. plus, you can see a faint outline in rock tunnel: a little annoying at first but its way less annoying then bothering with flash.

Firestorm

I did my best, I have no regrets!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I think I traded in my Pokemon TCG cart to EB which - especially with Synre's recent playthrough - would depress me if I took a picture of my collection :( Pretty sure I sold Snap, Stadium, Stadium 2, and Hey You Pikachu to pay for my GameCube as well. Sold Battle Revolution to save what was left of my Wii Collection's dignity.

Eraddd

One Pixel
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I sold my Pokemon Red, Crystal, Silver GBC, and two original Gameboys to finance my PS2 that's lying unused downstairs. One of the biggest regrets of my life. Those games DEFINED my childhood. I remember trying to complete the GSC Pokedex back in third grade, and coming so close (couldn't get Mew, Celebi, and a few other version exclusives because I didn't know anyone who had Blue or Gold). Then the GBA and R/S came out, and since my parents couldn't afford it, I lost interest in Pokemon. Until I discovered emulators, which after, led to Smogon and VGC.

At the moment, I have a DS and Pokemon Black sitting at my desk. Not that big of a collection, but I do have about a 100 hours in my Pokemon Black game, and I'm pretty excited for Pokemon B/W 2.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)