Wrath of the Birds

CTNC

Doesn't know how to attack
Hello, I am Climmy Teh No0b Cat. A wise man once told me, "Even if you win, ask for advise." I like this team as it is, but I can't help but it feels like it could be improved.

Team Building Process

I became interested in this duo for no reason whatsoever.

I added decided to add Pinsir for a brutal Triple Flying barrage. I admit this wasn't my idea, but it sounded fun.

I like using Level 1 Pokemon... In my defense, Taillow has Scrappy and no one else seems to know that. (until I battle them anyway...) I haven't been disappointed by Taillow in this generation or the last.

I needed Hazard Removal and Excadrill had a typing that was very good for this team.

Honestly, I'm not sure why I went with Rotom, but I don't regret it.

I had a feeling Taillow didn't quite fit on this team and I knew I needed something to tank hits. For a long time I couldn't find anything that worked, then an opponent annoyed me with Porygon2. I had found the bulk I was looking for.
Changes

Staraptor's Speed was bothering me, so i decide to switch from Jolly Band to Adamant Scarf.

I wasn't seen why Jolly was worth it on Excadrill so he's Adamant now.

Trying Jolly Band on Staraptor again...

Decided to try Scarf Excadrill and Porygon2

In Depth Look

Dry Cleaner (Rotom-Wash) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 SAtk / 4 SDef
Modest Nature
- Volt Switch
- Hydro Pump
- Thunderbolt
- Trick

This is the guy I counter the counters to my flyers with. I also lead with him because of the number of good match ups and Volt Switch. The coverage is excellent for countering counters and Trick Scarf is so amusingly brutal when you use it on a slow, defensive, or 1HKOed by Talonflame Pokemon. Rotom could be described as part of the glue to this team.

Sweat Pants (Talonflame) @ Choice Band
Ability: Gale Wings
EVs: 208 Spd / 252 Atk / 48 HP
Adamant Nature
- Brave Bird
- Flare Blitz
- U-Turn
- Toxic

With this guy, just spam Brave Bird. Its power is equivalent to a Stab Earthquake from neutral nature Base 120 Attack and Gale Wings gives it +1 Priority. The other moves are filler, each more filler than the last. Flare Blitz if for an alternative STAB, Toxic is for anything that is 3HKOed and has recovery, and I never use U-turn, but it's better than nothing.

Staraptor @ Choice Band
Ability: Reckless
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spd / 4 Def
Jolly Nature
- Brave Bird
- Close Combat
- Double-Edge
- Quick Attack

With this guy, just spam Brave Bird. When using Brave Bird or Double Edge the power is equivalent to a Stab Earthquake coming off of a 732 Attack Stat, so you should dent or badly injure something. If you predict a Rock or Steel switch in, use Close Combat. Quick Attack has been more useful than U-turn, but it's still mostly filler.

Face Eater (Pinsir) @ Pinsirite
Ability: Hyper Cutter
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 Atk / 4 SDef
Jolly Nature
- Return
- Earthquake
- Quick Attack
- Swords Dance

With this guy, just spam Brave Bird... I mean Return. He has a base 155 Attack and a stupidly good ability that gives a free Life Orb boost to normal type moves and changes them to flying type moves. He's kind of like a Life Orb Staraptor without any recoil. Earthquake is a nice coverage move, but I am willing to experiment with other moves. Sword Dance doesn't get used that much, but I'm willing to bet it's better than having two coverage moves.

Excadrill @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Mold Breaker
EVs: 252 Atk / 96 HP / 160 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Rapid Spin
- Rock Slide
- Iron Head

Excadrill was useful, but not useful enough and I felt like the only thing making me keep him was Rapid Spin. Now I'm experimenting with a Choice Scarf and enough Speed EVs to out speed Greninja. It also seems like a nice counter to Thundurus with Rock Slide. I will admit that having four Choiced Pokemon has put this team in the threshold for ether bad teams or extreme aggro.

110011101 (Porygon2) @ Eviolite
Ability: Trace
EVs: 212 SDef / 252 HP / 44 Def
Calm Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Thunderbolt
- Ice Beam
- Toxic
- Recover

It's a just standard Poryon2. I went for the Special Defensive EV spread because it seamed like most of the threats to this team that weren't physical walls were special attackers. The bulk and the recovery may be just what I've looking for. Toxic is also nice for weakening the walls I mentioned earlier.

So that's my team. I'm willing to take any advise as long as it's not something like use Magikarp. Thanks for reading and here's the team at a glance.

Last edited:
i run the same staraptor set as you do (i love that thing) and i run a latias with healing wish so that he can be fully recovered from damage and the ever so present burn status. if you do decide to switch out your tailow latias is a great partner with your staraptor or talonflame, so that your enemy has to put up with them one more time >:3

CTNC

i run the same staraptor set as you do (i love that thing) and i run a latias with healing wish so that he can be fully recovered from damage and the ever so present burn status. if you do decide to switch out your tailow latias is a great partner with your staraptor or talonflame, so that your enemy has to put up with them one more time >:3
Healing Wish does sound more useful than one free KO and Rotom has been tanking more than it can take. Sounds like it's worth trying.

The spam is strong with this one....

Anyways, looking pretty good. I like the team. I'm kinda new to rating, but I would suggest switching the F.E.A.R tailow for something, partially because this team I think could use a little more bulk, even if it's a bulky attacker, and second, we have all these priority moves going around this gen, so your tailow be much help if it gets outsped from a aqua jet or something as an example. If you still like a flying theme, how about multiscale dragonite? Maybe assault vested?

CTNC

The spam is strong with this one....
If the opponent doesn't have any ghost, I like to change it up and Spam Double-Edge on Staraptor
Anyways, looking pretty good. I like the team. I'm kinda new to rating, but I would suggest switching the F.E.A.R tailow for something, partially because this team I think could use a little more bulk, even if it's a bulky attacker,
This is exactly what I was thinking.
and second, we have all these priority moves going around this gen, so your tailow be much help if it gets outsped from a aqua jet or something as an example. If you still like a flying theme, how about multiscale dragonite? Maybe assault vested?
Lead then revenge killing is how I use Taillow, so I don't really care about this part.
If you still like a flying theme, how about multiscale dragonite? Maybe assault vested?
I don't care about a flying theme outside of Staraptor, Talonflame, and Pinsir and I'd rather not add another Stealth Rock weakness to this team
I love staraptor and use it in all my teams, FEAR taillow is seems pretty good, i never used it.
I think I'm the only one that has. :P[/quote]

I'd say keep EQ on Pinsir. Definately takes care of Rocks that want to threaten half your team - namely Pinsir himself.

And while Tailow is pretty cool, mostly any priority can kind of..deal with him. Something with ESpeed K'Os him quickly, so maybe think about taking him out. But, hey. I've never used a FEARer, but I assume it works pretty good.

CTNC

I'm bumping this because I still feel like I could use help with this team.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)