XY Suspect Testing Round 1 np: Michael Jackson - (extreme)Speed Demon (READ POST #1278)

Status
Not open for further replies.
mega lucario has plenty of walls, the physical set is completely walled by gliscor and physically defensive hippowdon (and if you want to get creative) spiritomb, the special set is tanked out by assault vest goodra
+2 252 Atk Mega Lucario Ice Punch vs. 252 HP / 184+ Def Gliscor: 460-544 (129.9 - 153.6%)
+2 252 Atk Adaptability Mega Lucario Close Combat vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Hippowdon: 364-430 (86.6 - 102.3%)

No they're not. And while AV Goodra can counter the special set, it can't counter the physical set. That's the thing about Lucario, it has two completely different sets and by the time you know what set it's running it's already too late.

Deoxys-Speed is a more of a borderline between O.U. and Uber tier. Although Deoxys-Speed has an unrivaled speed stat (Hence the name, Deoxys-Speed), he doesn't have that much of an offensive or defensive prowess. While Deoxys, in any form, has a decent movepool, it can be easily countered by an offensive player. Even if they do add him as uber, it still will have many disadvantages, since many ubers can learn dark-type attacks like foul play, which can really put a dent in his overall rating. In conclusion, I think Deoxys-Speed should stay in OU.

As for Mega Lucario, its adaptability makes it extremely overpowered. Since its movepool consists of mostly fighting-type attacks, it basically acts as if normally effective moves are super effective. Plus, when Mega Lucario is up against an ice, rock, or steel-type, it kicks up damage to a quadruple bonus, which, in general term, will most likely result as a OHKO. He's just gotta go.

Genesect, although making for a good offensive prowess, lacks in defense and HP. It is also easily beatable due to its awkward typing. With fire as one of the most common types in the game, being able to get a double advantage over Genesect is an extreme disadvantage. I think Genesect should stay in OU.
So first of all how deo-s does in ubers doesn't factor at all into if it's broken in OU or not. If it's broken in OU and terrible in Ubers, it's still broken in OU, and needs to go.

And Genesect's typing is FAR from bad. Bug/Steel is one of the best typings in the game, and has been since Scizor was introduced in GS. While fire attacks are becoming more common in the metagame, due to talonflame's presence and things arising to stop genesect, Genesect is not forced to fight them, and can u-turn out while dealing STAB boosted damage thanks to it's "awkward" typing. That's part of why genesect is so broken as well; It gets to choose what it fights, and what it doesn't want to fight, it can switch out of to something that can destroy it's counters.

Gary

Can be abrasive at times (no joke)
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
mega lucario has plenty of walls, the physical set is completely walled by gliscor and physically defensive hippowdon (and if you want to get creative) spiritomb, the special set is tanked out by assault vest goodra

Goodra is not plenty of walls. That's ONE thing. Besides, until you know exactly what set you're dealing with, you can't just go into your Goodra automatically, or else you risked being smashed by a +0 CC. And don't even try to tell me that you can just scout for its set, because you can't just mindlessly switched into stuff to find out what set it is without getting fucked. I don't know why people are still continuing to beat this dead horse, because there have been soo many good arguments as to how Mega luc is just clearly unhealthy for the meta. Although the physical sets all have "somewhat" reliable counters, even though they're still few in number, the special set is basically uncounterable without having to run gimmicky shit. If you're telling me that Special Luc isn't broken because its walled by Goodra, than you basically just refuted your own argument by saying that it's walled by one thing. Every team would have to run something like Landorus-T + Goodra to counter both version of Mega Lucario reliably, or carry several answers to it which basically every offensive team MUST have. That's not healthy. Besides, Gliscor and Landorus-t can't take an Ice Punch well at all, so they're not even entirely reliable.

I don't even know why I'm wasting my time tbh.

Last edited:
That's part of why genesect is so broken as well; It gets to choose what it fights, and what it doesn't want to fight, it can switch out of to something that can destroy it's counters.
SkarmBlissey or VeneTran can be broken by that reasoning. Skarmory can run away from a special attacks and likely Blissey can run from a Conkeldurr's Drain Punch or Choice Band Azumarill's Waterfall.

SkarmBlissey or VeneTran can be broken by that reasoning. Skarmory can run away from a special attacks and likely Blissey can run from a Conkeldurr's Drain Punch or Choice Band Azumarill's Waterfall.
They can run, but Genesect has switch initiative. If you hard switch out and Genesect U-Turns, it gets to see what you brought in and switch to a counter. If you don't switch, it can just go into a hard counter for what you have out. By contrast, with most defensive cores no-one has switch initiative; both players have equal odds (modified by prediction skills) of making a favorable switch or double switch. The only way to get switch initiative on Genesect is a slower U-Turn or Volt Switch, which implies something has to take Genesect's U-Turn, frequently at +1 to avoid boosted special moves. If switching and U-Turn somehow had the same priority, it would be a different matter. Scarf Genesect would almost never have switch initiative, and would be so much less threatening. But that is not the case.

edit: on second thought, this would mean Genesect could unstoppably revenge anything slower and bug weak, so it wouldn't help too much. Sacking something to U-Turn is a viable strategy for gaining switch initiative though.

Mega luke shouldn't be banned imo hes powerful but y'know if you complain about it setting up and beating you well you let it set up and not to mention aegislash and talonflame can handle it because nobody use eq lucario or a talon counter also thund-i t waves its kinda screwed and its pretty frail just bring a priority user like conkeldurr and its dead also just dont give it any chance to set up also remember the famous magic guard alakazam who revenge kills like a bamf

i mean nothing on mega luke really counters talonflame

Last edited by a moderator:
Just a suggestion but something needs to like tell people to go read Tabuu's post on page 9 (#213).

Tired of Mega-Lucario speak and love to see what people have to say on Deoxys-S and Genesect.

u should really think about the switch into the lucario also dont t-tars learn eq

well Kztxl genesect and deo-s arent as much as a hot topic as mega lucario

Last edited by a moderator:
So first of all how deo-s does in ubers doesn't factor at all into if it's broken in OU or not. If it's broken in OU and terrible in Ubers, it's still broken in OU, and needs to go.

And Genesect's typing is FAR from bad. Bug/Steel is one of the best typings in the game, and has been since Scizor was introduced in GS. While fire attacks are becoming more common in the metagame, due to talonflame's presence and things arising to stop genesect, Genesect is not forced to fight them, and can u-turn out while dealing STAB boosted damage thanks to it's "awkward" typing. That's part of why genesect is so broken as well; It gets to choose what it fights, and what it doesn't want to fight, it can switch out of to something that can destroy it's counters.
Bug/Steel is one of the best defensive typing in the game, not so on the offensive side, ghost/fight, earth/ice, etc. does the job better.

Scizor is working very differently from other offensive pokemon, it is a pure utility mon that happens to be a good pivot as well. Technician bullet punch and purcuit should distinguish the two sufficiently. Scizor can also pull of a bullet punch sweep with SD.

Genesect is, well, just a pivot, and it specialized its job really well, so well that making it to do other jobs seem to be a waste, and it does them on a sub par manner as well.

They can run, but Genesect has switch initiative. If you hard switch out and Genesect U-Turns, it gets to see what you brought in and switch to a counter. If you don't switch, it can just go into a hard counter for what you have out. By contrast, with most defensive cores no-one has switch initiative; both players have equal odds (modified by prediction skills) of making a favorable switch or double switch. The only way to get switch initiative on Genesect is a slower U-Turn or Volt Switch, which implies something has to take Genesect's U-Turn, frequently at +1 to avoid boosted special moves. If switching and U-Turn somehow had the same priority, it would be a different matter. Scarf Genesect would almost never have switch initiative, and would be so much less threatening. But that is not the case.

edit: on second thought, this would mean Genesect could unstoppably revenge anything slower and bug weak, so it wouldn't help too much. Sacking something to U-Turn is a viable strategy for gaining switch initiative though.
This actually applies to every single fast Voltturn user. If Rotom-W and Thundurus-T was not banned(though Thunderus-I was) in the last gen with STAB Hydro Pumb/Thunder in rain, which was equally powerful EVEN RESISTED(which is why Gastrodon is picked up even with neither its stat nor its utility sufficient to be called a "dedicated" wall), I see little reason for Genesect to receive one. Genesect was banned last gen for its rock polish set, which is no longer viable as the meta is significantly more bulkier compared to the last, you are not going to sweep with +1 boost.

but heres wheremy experiences come in NOBODY has ever predicted the stay (for me) and sd remember dont let them sd so you insta kill it and BOOM goes the birdy

but heres wheremy experiences come in NOBODY has ever predicted the stay (for me) and sd remember dont let them sd so you insta kill it and BOOM goes the birdy
Your experience doesn't matter to anyone else. Just because you can predict Lucario to boost doesn't mean it isn't broken. If your opponents are boosting on something that can potentially carry a dangerous move, then you're just fighting terrible people. People need to stop using "their experiences" as arguments. I don't understand how anyone can deny Mega Lucario's brokenness unless it's a desperate attempt to keep something grossly overpowered and easy to use to get automatic wins. It's Mega Kanga all over again....

Just a suggestion but something needs to like tell people to go read Tabuu's post on page 9 (#213).

Tired of Mega-Lucario speak and love to see what people have to say on Deoxys-S and Genesect.
Yes, I agree. There has been some discussion of Deoxys-S on page 16/17, so ideally people would go read that, because honestly I can't think of any more arguments for/against the Deoxys-S ban that haven't already been done there. Anyway, although I don't like Genesect, I can't really think of a strong reason to ban it, or not to ban it. Really, I think somebody should try to think of a concrete reason why it should be banned or not - how punishing it is when you don't anticipate which set it is using right might be a good start.

This actually applies to every single fast Voltturn user. If Rotom-W and Thundurus-T was not banned(though Thunderus-I was) in the last gen with STAB Hydro Pumb/Thunder in rain, which was equally powerful EVEN RESISTED(which is why Gastrodon is picked up even with neither its stat nor its utility sufficient to be called a "dedicated" wall), I see little reason for Genesect to receive one. Genesect was banned last gen for its rock polish set, which is no longer viable as the meta is significantly more bulkier compared to the last, you are not going to sweep with +1 boost.
Calm_Mind_Latias was saying that Genesect's U-Turn was essentially no different to manually switching out to defensive cores. My post in response was an explanation of how it was superior, not an argument for banning Genesect.

I'm aware that it applies to other volt-turners, and considered explaining that in most hands (claws?), U-Turn is fine. Genesect makes U-Turn much harder to deal with. thunderus-t and Rotom-w, like Genesect are only really "fast" with a scarf. Once the scarf is revealed (and it's fairly common anyway), Ground types can come in to block volt switch. Rotom-W punishes this with Hydro Pump, but doesn't want to if it can avoid it, since a misprediction can cost huge amounts of momentum. Nothing but Shedinja can block U-Turn. while thundy-t has U-Turn, without STAB, a boosting item or investment it won't be doing anything but tiny chip damage, whereas in Genesect's possesion it can rip large chunks off neutral targets.

Thundy-T loses 1/4 of it's health to rocks, and risks being taken down faster with the threat of ice shard. Rotom-W is a little underwhealming with base 105 special attack (it's strong STABs help though, but it can have difficulty with bulky targets) and has a gaping hole in it's strong coverage that is grass and dragon types (Hp ice isn't strong enough to revenge kill anything but severely weakened or 4x weak targets). By contrast, Genesect is neutral to rocks, and neutral or resistant to every form of priority. It also has exceptional coverage, hitting 10 of 18 pure types super effectively with fire/ice/electric/bug coverage and gaining a strong hit on many staples of the metagame. Then you have download, which can effectively give you a choice band or specs in addition to your scarf.

Thundy-t and Rotom-W make excellent scarfers, but they're nowhere near the brutal momentum machine Genesect can be used as in addition to a revenge killer. I'll state it here though: I'm not certain Genesect needs to be banned. No one could be completely certain beyond any doubt in the back of their mind. This post is primarily intended to point out how comparing Rotom-W/thundy-t to Genesect as voltturn momentumators (yep, I made up a word) is a little like comparing uxie to Cresselia as a wall. they do the same thing, one is just better at it than the other (enough so that a ban looks like it wouldn't be a bad move)

Last edited:
They can run, but Genesect has switch initiative. If you hard switch out and Genesect U-Turns, it gets to see what you brought in and switch to a counter. If you don't switch, it can just go into a hard counter for what you have out.
The problem is that not every team is perfect and you can't prepare for every pokemon. You might not have a hard counter for what your opponent has out and something on your team is going to take a hit. Aeigslash is a pretty good example of this as flamethrower won't do much and shadow ball+plus shadow sneak can take out genesect.

Calm_Mind_Latias was saying that Genesect's U-Turn was essentially no different to manually switching out to defensive cores. My post in response was an explanation of how it was superior, not an argument for banning Genesect.
My response, in response to the a statement that said Genesect was "broken" because it can choose its fights, was the SkarmBliss core can choose to pick its fights too. The mechanics Volt-Turn (assuming no ground type immunity to make it less complicated) can give a player some valuable momentum against the core (or any other switch in) where manual switching is undesired. I most certainly would not make the mistake to say that U-Turn is equivalent to manual switching, especially when it is coming from a STAB, Download boosted U-turn from a respectable 120 Atk. Indeed, Genesect's U-Turn isn't chip damage, and one needs a Bug resistance or defensive stats in order to absorb it (like Skarmory), but Bug is not a good attacking type to use anyway. Normally, Skarm can absorb a U-Turn just fine if the Genesect is threatening to damage Blissey. However, the Skarm-Bliss core user can use Rocky Helmet on Skarmory as a means of passive mind games to deter this strategy. Genesect requires prediction to use if one want to use it as a momentum generator in this case as it is very costly if it hits into the Rocky Helmet Skarmory. Moreover, stall teams can be considered to have a natural advantage in their ability to control hazards than more tactical teams who are often content to have Rocks up to cripple Talonflame or HO teams who simply want it off the field. Stall teams should be played and built to have better hazard control (and it is certainly viable this Gen even with a paucity of reliable spinblockers to keep their hazards up and Defog to circumvent Ghosts, and Defog, while more reliable, removes your hazards too) than more offensive teams. Hazard control is something where a stall team usually should have an edge at. Genesect would most often switch into Stealth Rock in order to do a scouting run or assassination attempt, which are both risky.

Using U-Turn (due to it being a contact move) is not a conservative way of generating momentum against stall due to hazards and Rocky Helmet. Any argument based on its ability to ostensibly generate "free momentum" or "choose its fights" is demonstrable false in this meta. For a conservative player, Genesect would largely be used as a revenge killer or late game cleaner, and momentum generator as its ancillary role. Actually, for a conservative player, Scarf Genesect is more of a liability against stall, but she (myself) needs to know how to exploit the diverse risk/reward profiles it can potentially generate and send it in when she deems it favorable. One reason that Genesect is beautiful is that it can accommodate so many playing styles, but it is not overwhelmingly dominating or broken in this meta (unless you have a team that can easily be cleaned by a Genesect because you have three Ice weakness and only one priority user). It is an exemplary, balanced S-class OU Pokemon.

Last edited:
I don't like the way the u-turn argument is being made into for Genesect. Genesect may be albe to do what every other Voltturner can do but it does it all better because of it's extremely diverse movepool and unpredictability. Genesect has so many different ways to be used that it's just silly. Between it's Scarf/Band/Shift Gear/Expert Belt, just what can stand against this thing? I know what some of you would thing at this point too. Lots of Pokemon are diverse just like Genesect but none of them are broken. Well let me take care of that argument too.

How many pokemon can boast an extremely diverse movepool AND Voltturn. I can only think of one, that being Infernape. However, infernape doesn't have as good an ability as download that lets Genesect abuse it's movepool in a much Greater way than Infernape can ever hope to acomplish. Download is the icing on the cake that is Genesect. Download turns Genesect into a complete monster by going plus one on pretty much any of it's options giving you alot more momentum than otherwise. Can you honestly say with a clear consience that Genesect would be anywhere near as good as it is without Download. Between Download, it's movepool, and U-turn, Genesect boast it's ability to gain momentum at a rate that every other pokemon can only ever dream of. It is the best Voltturn in the game without a doubt in my mind.

If I were participating in this and trying to vote, I'd definately ban Genesect. It's simply to good at doing it's job.

Lady Alex

Mew is blue
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
My response, in response to the a statement that said Genesect was "broken" because it can choose its fights, was the SkarmBliss core can choose to pick its fights too. The mechanics Volt-Turn (assuming no ground type immunity to make it less complicated) can give a player some valuable momentum against the core (or any other switch in) where manual switching is undesired. I most certainly would not make the mistake to say that U-Turn is equivalent to manual switching, especially when it is coming from a STAB, Download boosted U-turn from a respectable 120 Atk. Indeed, Genesect's U-Turn isn't chip damage, and one needs a Bug resistance or defensive stats in order to absorb it (like Skarmory), but Bug is not a good attacking type to use anyway. Normally, Skarm can absorb a U-Turn just fine if the Genesect is threatening to damage Blissey. However, the Skarm-Bliss core user can use Rocky Helmet on Skarmory as a means of passive mind games to deter this strategy. Genesect requires prediction to use if one want to use it as a momentum generator in this case as it is very costly if it hits into the Rocky Helmet Skarmory. Moreover, stall teams can be considered to have a natural advantage in their ability to control hazards than more tactical teams who are often content to have Rocks up to cripple Talonflame or HO teams who simply want it off the field. Stall teams should be played and built to have better hazard control (and it is certainly viable this Gen even with a paucity of reliable spinblockers to keep their hazards up and Defog to circumvent Ghosts, and Defog, while more reliable, removes your hazards too) than more offensive teams. Hazard control is something where a stall team usually should have an edge at. Genesect would most often switch into Stealth Rock in order to do a scouting run or assassination attempt, which are both risky.

Using U-Turn (due to it being a contact move) is not a conservative way of generating momentum against stall due to hazards and Rocky Helmet. Any argument based on its ability to ostensibly generate "free momentum" or "choose its fights" is demonstrable false in this meta. For a conservative player, Genesect would largely be used as a revenge killer or late game cleaner, and momentum generator as its ancillary role. Actually, for a conservative player, Scarf Genesect is more of a liability against stall, but she (myself) needs to know how to exploit the diverse risk/reward profiles it can potentially generate and send it in when she deems it favorable. One reason that Genesect is beautiful is that it can accommodate so many playing styles, but it is not overwhelmingly dominating or broken in this meta (unless you have a team that can easily be cleaned by a Genesect because you have three Ice weakness and only one priority user). It is an exemplary, balanced S-class OU Pokemon.
I haven't been contributing anything to this discussion, but I feel the need to address this post, because it's extremely misleading. You're exaggerating skarmory's ability to reliably deal with Genesect. You say that Genesect using u-turn isn't a conservative way of gaining momentum against stall, but that's ludicrously untrue. Even if Skarmory is carrying rocky helmet, the Genesect user is probably going to find it worth it if a Skarmory switches in on the u-turn, ESPECIALLY if the Skarmory is on a stall team. Sure, Genesect may have eaten SR damage, but it gets to bring something in to put immediate pressure on Skarmory. This is more detrimental to a stall team since they rely heavily on keeping their walls healthy, and Skarmory's durability is going to be greatly reduced carrying rocky helmet. You're also not taking into consideration the risk the Skarmory user has to take on by switching in on Genesect to begin with. Flamethrower isn't uncommon at all on any Genesect set, even banded ones, so the burden placed on the Skarmory user is much much greater than that of the Genesect user. You, like many of the people who defended Genesect staying OU last gen, are underplaying how having u-turn on a pokemon with an amazing movepool, a variety of sets that span both sides of the attacking spectrum, and download on top of it is simply way too much to be healthy for the meta.

Well, I am NOT the world's greatest battler, indeed I doubt that I will be among the few hundred folks who have the time and skill to meet the suspect reqs (which were kinda confusing for me, using values from two very different ranking systems and whatnot). However, I would like to weigh in on the issue anyway for all three.

Mega-Lucario: http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/portrait-of-an-uber.43566/

fits the offensive characteristic extremely well for reasons debated to death already. No further comment is needed.

Deoxys-S: This one is a toughie, if only because I do not see it terribly often. I find it very vulnerable to pursuit trapping, and while it is near impossible to prevent it from setting up hazards without magic coat / magic bounce, it is fairly easy to stop it from laying down more then one layer without dieing (turn 1: swap in bulky guy that scares it off, turn two, scare it off or else it risks dieing). While it's attacking sets can make for very scary surprises, they are little more then the equivalent of a scarfed Genesect that can change moves but lacks access to u-turn. While being comparable to one of the top OU threats is certainly not bad, it is forced out by pretty much any bulky attacker of which there are plenty. Add in the fact that there is a whole new slew of bulky pokemon with respectable attack and priority, and suddenly you wonder why that overkill speed was all that great in the first place. I'd say OU is fine for the time being.

Genesect: This guy is a toughie. He lacks the raw power of mega kanga, deo-n, mega luca, and even blazekin, but he is phenomenal at creating momentum. After a fair bit of playing last night and much thought, I have decided that he should stay in OU and here's why. Due to the fact that Genesect does not have the raw power to be able to severely dent nearly every pokemon with a single move (hello CC mega lucario), he can be played around. I will take a relatively common battle conditions from my own experience to illustrate this point.

Situation: unknown Genesect vs substall Gliscor, both healthy (for the sake of argument, lets say they are their respective team's leads). Gliscor uses protect to scout out what genesect does. If he uses ice beam, the next decision is simple. The gliscor player suspects that gene is probably now choice locked and is now free to swap to a pokemon that can easily take it, lets use CB ttar. From here, one of two things happen, either the genesect really WAS choice locked and ttar gets an easy kill by pursuit trapping, or it was not, in which case the genesect player has the option of changing his move. However, in doing so so early in the game, the genesect player has allowed his enemy to know that he is in fact not scarfed, greatly reducing the number of things it can come in and threaten (like the genies for example, every single one of them can threaten gene due to their powerful attacks if they can go first). Since gene does not have a phys boost due to having come in on a gliscor, none of his attacks are likely to kill ttar in one hit, and if any of them do significantly damage him, it will further inform the player of what kind of pokemon can swap in safely against it. If he uses u-turn, pretty much same story, except that now it's gliscor who is at risk (this time almost certainly lethal) instead of ttar, the fact that if gliscor does stay in, he will be dealing with whatever else comes out, and the fact that gliscor has the option of using double protect. Protect gliscor is not obscure or unviable, and yet with a single move and a swap to a very popular gliscor partner, the player either removed genesect from the game for free or gained valuable information on it's moveset at the cost of an injured, but not dead ttar.

You can repeat a similar situation with just about any protect lead and/or phys defensive wobbuffet (replace protect with counter and laugh as you get free kills off of your opponent's genesect)

As for shift gear genesect, not broken, not even a little bit. Espeed is a wonderful move, but with gene's only decent attack, +1 or even +2 is not going to turn this guy into the next arceus or mkahn. His coverage, while by no means bad, isn't absurdly good either, and once he uses shift gear, he only has 3 moves, one of them almost certainly espeed and the other two are torn between iron head, blaze kick, ice beam, and x-scissor. Shift gear literally takes his greatest strength, the ability to have absurd coverage and easily grab momentum, and throws it all away. If you want to e-kill in OU, just use dragonite, or SD pass to an entei, genesect has better things to do.

I haven't been contributing anything to this discussion, but I feel the need to address this post, because it's extremely misleading. You're exaggerating skarmory's ability to reliably deal with Genesect. You say that Genesect using u-turn isn't a conservative way of gaining momentum against stall, but that's ludicrously untrue.

You're also not taking into consideration the risk the Skarmory user has to take on by switching in on Genesect to begin with. Flamethrower isn't uncommon at all on any Genesect set, even banded ones, so the burden placed on the Skarmory user is much much greater than that of the Genesect user.
Nothing that I posted on this page supports anything that is quoted if one comprehends what I said.

I most certainly wasn't arguing that Skarmory reliably deals with Genesect; few Pokemon reliably deal with Genesect. I am saying that Rocky Helmet deters using Genesect as a conservative means of generating momentum. This deterrent is certainly valuable against U-Turners, and it Rocky Helmet certainly has other utility besides damaging U-Turn users, especially when more Pokemon are using contact moves. Admittedly, it immediately doesn't shut a U-Turner down, but stall teams have the capacity to persevere from whatever residual and attack damage that manually switching into a counter for the U-Turn switch-in, such as cleric and reliable support moves, while Genesect usually isn't used with Wish support. Certainly Genesect's utility wanes every time it suffers passive damage and is eroded each time.

Also, Stall teams have access to phasing moves which disrupts any momentum an executed U-Turn may generate. I wonder if they are more prevalent in this meta.

Sorry about misunderstanding your point, but you can't consider Genesect just in the context of stall. This decision on whether or not to ban the suspects impacts the whole metagame; every stall, HO, balance and every weather/field condition/baton pass/etc team that shows up in it. Outside of stall, hazard control tends to be less of a focus, and the voltturn teams genesect is used on love keeping pressure up to make spinning/defogging difficult for the opponent. Healing is also far more common on stall: a lot of offensive pokes can't get health back... pretty much at all once they're hit. Additionally, Rocky Helmet sacrifices leftovers, the importance of which keeps blissey tiered above the bulkier eviolite chansey.

you also say "against a conservative player". Any but the most blind player will see Skarm switching in and eventually use T-Bolt/Flamethrower. the odds of predicting when this happens and leaving bliss in that time are not in your favor.

As for shift gear genesect, not broken, not even a little bit. Espeed is a wonderful move, but with gene's only decent attack, +1 or even +2 is not going to turn this guy into the next arceus or mkahn. His coverage, while by no means bad, isn't absurdly good either, and once he uses shift gear, he only has 3 moves, one of them almost certainly espeed and the other two are torn between iron head, blaze kick, ice beam, and x-scissor. Shift gear literally takes his greatest strength, the ability to have absurd coverage and easily grab momentum, and throws it all away. If you want to e-kill in OU, just use dragonite, or SD pass to an entei, genesect has better things to do.
Genesect's physical attack is equal to his special attack, sitting at base 120 which is (coincidentally) equal to Arceus. So if it gets an attack boost (not uncommon) from download and a shift gear boost, it has literally the same attack stat as a +2 arceus, outspeeds every relevant scarfer (remember shift gear is +2 speed) and has priority alongside excellent neutral coverage with iron head, blaze kick and E-speed (resisted only by Heatran, Jellicent and Chandelure, I believe. I may be missing some though). don't dismiss Shift Gear.

Shurtugal

The Enterpriser.
is a Tiering Contributor
Mega-Luke should be banned. I mean, I've seen how the metagame has been since it's been banned on PO and the metagame is simply better.

Deo-S and Deo-D will get banned, but obnoxious people will prolong it like in past gens.

Genesect shouldn't honestly be banned. It's not "broken." It has it's checks and counters and while it's certainly versatile, I can't see how anyone can argue that it can sweep teams with little to no support. Pretty much this is the UTurn argument from last generation, and quite frankly I don't buy it. Yes, it has the strongest UTurn in the game, but LO or chip damage can pile up quite fast on VoltTurn (ha, people on this website call teams with a GeneWash core a VoltTurn team in the RMT section). I can see that it's versatility may make people believe it's broken. I wouldn't deny that it's versatile coverage moves coupled with BoltBeam coverage certainly makes it a top tier threat, but it can be HANDLED. It isn't like Kangs or Blaziken, where they simply come in and its GG unless you have like 1 or 2 shaky "counters" that aren't really counters and are really checks.

Revenge killing is healthy for the metagame too. Genesect isn't overally broken in my opinion. Last gen it went ubers because of LO Rock Polish -- its other sets, while deadly, were quite manageable. There are plenty of Pokemon that can be versatile, and I'll admit that Genesect is really versatile due to how many viable sets it can carry. It can threaten out lots of users, which makes UTurn really shine. However, it can't come and win games without support. It doesn't offer support to a team where the team has "little to no problems of winning" afterward either. Genesect has plenty of good checks and counters, especially with Defog since things like Rotom-H are much more viable. (There are also niche options like Empoleon that really wall more Gene sets since Thunderbolt is rarely used anymore unless on the Scarf, and that's piss weak against SpD Empoleon.) There is also Heatran and Venusaur as well as Charzaird-Y and Charizard-X and Talonflame too that are pretty reliable checks to Genesect, some even counters. Might I add that Quagsire + Venu is particular amazing against Gene too so the only case I can see being made it's broken is that it's broken vs. offense (there are other things like Chansey and Landorus-T and AV Conkeldurr that do amazing vs. particular sets, and once you see UTurn and scout the LO recoil you pretty much know what set it is depending on the amount of damage), and offense actually loves Genesect's ability to revenge kill things and Genesct is fairly easy enough to check for offense too especially the choiced sets.

I do give credit to UTurn. Personally, I find that UTurn is an overrated argument. I do very much agree that it is versatile, but I just don't feel it's broken. Most people on Smogon know me to be a Conservative player, and I only like to ban things that are legitimately broken.

Genesect may / may not be healthy to the metagame (personally, I think it is healthy...) but it for me it really doesn't matter since we're only supposed to ban broken things and Genesect really doesn't strike me as "broken" at all. I'm willing to listen to arguments though so please do refute me since I'll consider it when I go for req. I have changed my mind in the past.

you also say "against a conservative player". Any but the most blind player will see Skarm switching in and eventually use T-Bolt/Flamethrower. the odds of predicting when this happens and leaving bliss in that time are not in your favor.
I understand your argument. If Genesect could repeatedly go in without the threat of suffering from residual damage, then the Genesect user has a statistical advantage due to the increased amount of scouting trials it could perform and use its coverage move at random time to secure a kill. You are correct that it is prediction-free and effective. However, residual damage limits the number of trials it could run, and in this case, there is more immediate pressure on Genesect to kill the Skarmory in order to eliminate a component of a defense core. Genesect can threaten and apply psychology pressure when it is on the battlefield, but it too also feels similar pressure. Genesect certainly has the tools to kill stall Pokemon quickly but it cannot do so reliably.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)