XY UU Pokemon of the Week #3: Porygon-Z

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just a note, Mazz has given me permission to take this (permanently if need be), since Wyvern hasn't gotten on it for some reason.

Thanks to TRC. for the structure, project summary paragraph, and the idea!

The XY UU Pokemon of the Week is an (obviously) weekly project in the Underused forum. The idea originated from when we were reading many of the discussion threads, often the discussion is a bit lacking in the content department. Our goal here to is to highlight a threat in the metagame that isn't as well known, or isn't used as much as it should be, and provide a concise amount of information about that Pokemon; this will encourage creativity during teambuilding, and it will also provide an instant wealth of knowledge about that particular threat. This will hopefully be more helpful to the massive influx of new players in the UU subforum and promote better discussion within the individual threads. In this thread though, the main point of discussion should be about experiences with that particular Pokemon and the sets featured, and how it has helped in some way during your battling. Niche sets and gimmicks can be mentioned as well, but bear in mind that this thread is mainly an informative source of knowledge through what is written in the OP; discussion is not its main focus, though it is most certainly allowed. We need to make this point clear. Think of this like an article introducing you to a new threat that you can use; and try it out! Oh yeah, you can also VM me what you think the next POTW should be, bearing in mind that they will be on lesser-used threats!

This week's Pokemon is the Virtual Pokemon, Porygon-Z!​

Type:

Base Stats: 85 HP / 80 Attack / 70 Defense / 135 Special Attack / 75 Special Defense / 90 Speed
Abilities: Adaptability / Download / Analytic (HA)​
Introduction: Porygon-Z hasn't changed much this generation, but the metagame around it definitely has. It enjoys the nerf to steel, as its massive movepool options let Tri Attack and Shadow Ball have unresisted coverage in the entire tier. It is one of the best wallbreakers in the tier as well, with a massive 135 Special Attack boosted by Adaptability or Download (well technically Analytic too), and a decent speed of 90. It doesn't end there, as PZ has great boosting options in Nasty Plot and Agility.

What To Try:

Porygon-Z @ Lum Berry
Ability: Adaptability / Download
EVs: 156 Spd / 252 SAtk / 100 HP
Modest Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Tri Attack
- Shadow Ball / Dark Pulse
- Agility

It may seem odd, but this is arguably Porygon-Z's best set. Tri Attack and Shadow Ball provide unresisted coverage in the tier. If you use Dark Pulse, you lose out on Cobalion (but Tri Attack OHKOs after a boost anyway unless you haven't used Agility at that point), but you get the chance of flinching, which can make or break matches. Nasty Plot and Agility are your boosting options, and is very viable due to the fact that PZ forces a lot of switches. The EV spread is so that after an Agility boost, PZ outspeeds everything in the entire tier, including fucking Scarf Mienshao. The rest is invested into bulk and Special Attack. Lum Berry is so that you can set up as something tries to status you, like Gastrodon or Milotic. Either ability could be used, but Adaptability is preferred so that you get more power for Tri Attack, and don't have to get a useless attack boost.

Other Options: Choice items can be used on PZ, but with Choice Specs you can get outsped and OHKO'd by common threats such as Victini and Mienshao, but with Choice Scarf you lack raw power, even with Adaptability.

Teammates: Sticky Web users such as Galvantula, Smeargle, or Leavanny can greatly support PZ, as it can allow it to OHKO threats that would normally kill it back. Hippowdon is a good partner, since it can dispose of a lot of checks to Porygon such as Darmanitan and Mienshao. It can also set up Stealth Rocks, letting Porygon sweep undisturbed (although Sand Stream gets rid of it as well lol). Packing your own fighting mon such as Mienshao or Heracross, who take care of mons that potentially counter PZ such as Porygon2 and AV Snorlax are also good.

Checks & Counters:
  • Scarfers, such as Heracross and Mienshao
  • AV Snorlax

While there aren't a lot of these, your main way of beating PZ is to not let it set up on you, since every mon that runs an attacking STAB move can do at least 25% or more, which makes it easier to revenge.

Last edited:
I wouldn't include the ability to setup on Klefki as a pro for using Lum Berry because if you Agility on a Prankster Twave it's just gonna Prankster Twave you next turn..

pokemonisfun

Banned deucer.
Umbreon is not a counter at all if you remember to minimize attack IVs and EVs and nature.

P2 is sort of not really a counter since it gets 2hko while it cannot really 2hko back unless it uses spa which is viable but then it takes even more from tri Attack, nearly an OHKO. Scarf Heracross is a counter once but Mienshao can't switch in to half the set so its hardly a counter. PZ can also use 252/252 Modest since the extra bulk has comparable utility to outrunning lots more stuff.

Defensive Rhyperior cant really counter if it comes in on NP since Tri Attack/Dark Pulse becomes a 2hko while Rhyperior cannot OHKO back.

I'm a little surprised you included the rarer Umbroen as a counter who does less damage to and takes more damage from PZ than Florges which is a better counter but still rather mediocre.

Instead of trying to counter it's easier to not let this thing set up since literally every single Pokemon that runs an attacking STAB move can do at the very least 25% or so except Alomomola's Scald which makes it much easier to revenge kill. Basically every single offensive pokemon that runs a power boosting item can do 80% or so to PZ

I wouldn't include the ability to setup on Klefki as a pro for using Lum Berry because if you Agility on a Prankster Twave it's just gonna Prankster Twave you next turn..
Umbreon is not a counter at all if you remember to minimize attack IVs and EVs and nature.

P2 is sort of not really a counter since it gets 2hko while it cannot really 2hko back unless it uses spa which is viable but then it takes even more from tri Attack, nearly an OHKO. Scarf Heracross is a counter once but Mienshao can't switch in to half the set so its hardly a counter. PZ can also use 252/252 Modest since the extra bulk has comparable utility to outrunning lots more stuff.

Defensive Rhyperior cant really counter if it comes in on NP since Tri Attack/Dark Pulse becomes a 2hko while Rhyperior cannot OHKO back.

I'm a little surprised you included the rarer Umbroen as a counter who does less damage to and takes more damage from PZ than Florges which is a better counter but still rather mediocre.

Instead of trying to counter it's easier to not let this thing set up since literally every single Pokemon that runs an attacking STAB move can do at the very least 25% or so except Alomomola's Scald which makes it much easier to revenge kill. Basically every single offensive pokemon that runs a power boosting item can do 80% or so to PZ

Both these changes are noted, and I've implemented then. Thanks for noticing my mistakes, lol. @@

KM

slayification
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributor
Silk Scarf worth a mention over Lum. At this point, Lum is slightly predictable, and in some cases Silk Scarf is more useful because yay damage etc.

I think you underestimate how much Adaptability Specs P-Z wrecks with Tri Attack. It gets outsped by quite a lot, but most people seem to expect ScarfPory which allows you to often net at least one surprise KO. There are very few switch ins to Specs P-Z in the current metagame from what I've seen.

More than anything I just like using Lum Berry because it gives PZ great insurance against random statuses ruining its day. Scalds especially but also things like random freezes or paralysis from attacks getting thrown at it.

Specs PZ sounds interesting, I think I'll give it a try.

Here's a funny set I used at the beginning of the gen before using the double boost set:

Porygon-Z @ Life Orb
Ability: Download
EVs: 252 Spd / 76 Atk / 180 SAtk
Mild Nature
- Tri Attack
- Double-Edge
- Thunderbolt
- Ice Beam

76 Atk guarentees Double-Edge is a 2HKO on Umbreon and does 86%+ on Florges

Last edited:
With Mega Gengar, this is the moveset I used:

Porygon-Z @ Zap Plate
Ability: Adaptability
EVs: I really don't care about what EVs I used
Modest Nature
- Tri-Attack
- Trick Room
- Lock-On
- Zap Cannon

CoolStoryBrobat

The hero Smogon needs, but not the one it deserves
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
With Mega Gengar, this is the moveset I used:

Porygon-Z @ Zap Plate
EVs: I really don't care about what EVs I used
Modest Nature
- Tri-Attack
- Trick Room
- Lock-On
- Zap Cannon
Wouldn't Trick Room be counterproductive after using Zap Cannon, since the 100% paralysis ensures you get outsped? Either way Mega Gengar's not relevant in UU and I'm unsure of how it would support that set (or how it beats Gengar exactly).

Far as the double dance set listed in the OP, I use Timid nature instead of Modest, with...I think 120 Hp / 252 SpA / 136 Spe. Or 136 Hp / 252 SpA / 120 Spe. I honestly can't remember and since I can't go on PS to look I'm just going off my head. Still to outpace Scarf Shao at +2, using Timid allows you to invest less in Speed to reach the required amount, meaning more investment in bulk. It's a little weaker but it still gets the job done.

Edit: also you might wanna add Mega Banette to checks & counters, since it can literally switch in on anything except Shadow Ball/Dark Pulse, and threaten mindgames with prankster Destiny Bond (and Taunt if they really predict you). Setting up P-Z with Banette on the opposing team is like pulling teeth

Double Dance is probably the best way to go about it. But the Choice Scarf also works quite well too. It allows PZ to have room for another coverage move (not that it needs it lol that Adaptability Tri Attack). Tricking Scarf to an Umbreon or P2 and crippling it for the rest of the game has its merits.

Wouldn't Specially-Defensive Florges be a check/counter?

[252+ SpA Adaptability Porygon-Z Tri Attack vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Florges: 104-124 (28.8 - 34.4%) -- 99.7% chance to 4HKO after Leftovers recovery]
[+2 252+ SpA Adaptability Porygon-Z Tri Attack vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Florges: 208-246 (57.7 - 68.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery]
Even with a Nasty Plot up, it's still a 2HKO.

[4 SpA Florges Moonblast vs. 100 HP / 0 SpD Porygon-Z: 144-169 (42.8 - 50.2%) -- 0.4% chance to 2HKO]
Florges can then 2HKO with Moonblast (granted that the chance is very low), and there's also the 30% chance that Moonblast will lower PZ's Special Attack. Now all you have to do is to go into something with priority (such as a Metagross with Bullet Punch), and finish it off.

pokemonisfun

Banned deucer.
In general specially defensive florges (252/252 calm) has too little physical bulk to counter lots of stuff it would like to like Mienshao Heracross and Flygon. It's really not that bad but running more defense is usually more helpful. Still it doesn't counter PZ if he uses NP on the switch because the 2hko and even if you manage to kill PZ somehow with a spa drop your Florges is pathetically weak. Not too good for a defensive counter.

In reality it's basically impossibly to reliably counter something that can double it's special attack to get something akin to a special Explosion that doesn't ko itself or randomly double its speed to be faster than everything in the game except imposter ditto and sometimes Scarf Raikou depending on how much speed pz runs (I max speed on PZ which you should too)

Other items you can consider on PZ include chople berry, silk scarf, lum berry, life orb (makes it rather hard to set up), focus sash. I've used all of them and generally Silk Scarf and Lum is the best.

In general specially defensive florges (252/252 calm) has too little physical bulk to counter lots of stuff it would like to like Mienshao Heracross and Flygon. It's really not that bad but running more defense is usually more helpful. Still it doesn't counter PZ if he uses NP on the switch because the 2hko and even if you manage to kill PZ somehow with a spa drop your Florges is pathetically weak. Not too good for a defensive counter.

In reality it's basically impossibly to reliably counter something that can double it's special attack to get something akin to a special Explosion that doesn't ko itself or randomly double its speed to be faster than everything in the game except imposter ditto and sometimes Scarf Raikou depending on how much speed pz runs (I max speed on PZ which you should too)

Other items you can consider on PZ include chople berry, silk scarf, lum berry, life orb (makes it rather hard to set up), focus sash. I've used all of them and generally Silk Scarf and Lum is the best.

I'm pretty sure I've never seen anyone use Scarf Raikou, at all, since it already has such a high speed. You already outspeed Scarf Mien after an agility boost with the evs, which is pretty much the only common scarfer that's above 100 speed.

I'll edit Silk Scarf into the OP tomorrow when i have more time, I'm way too tired rn.

Horray! My favorite Poke <3

I've got like a million P-Z sets, but here're my favorites:

Porygon-Z @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 SAtk / 4 HP
Timid Nature
- Tri Attack
- Ice Beam / Dark Pulse / Shadow Ball
- Thunderbolt / Hidden Power Fighting
- Trick

Porygon-Z @ Life Orb
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 SAtk / 4 HP
Timid / Modest Nature
- Tri Attack
- Dark Pulse / Shadow Ball
- Ice Beam / Thunderbolt
- Nasty Plot / Agility

If allowed to get up both NP and Agility, it sweeps teams easily, but it's so frail that it rarely can get them both up, let alone one. Usually I go with the TrickScarf set, but sometimes I still run single-booster set, usually with Agility and 252+ SpA.

Here's my Porygon-Z set for my Super-Hyper-Offensive team. The set is completely unviable and just barely useable.

Porygon-Z (Show-Stopper) @ Life Orb / Silk Scarf
EVs: 252 SAtk / 252 Spe / 4SpD
Modest Nature
- Hyper Beam
- Tri Attack
- Shadow Ball
- Nasty Plot

Pros: Breaks everything
Cons: Immediately revenge killed, Hyper Beam will lose games if the other team has any setup moves.

pokemonisfun

Banned deucer.
You could pair that with scarf ditto if you really like hyper beam. In any case it looks like it could stall break almost at the same level as heracross so it can't be /that/ bad

Gotta agree with the people citing Double Dance as the current best set. Bulky Offense is king right now, with semi-stall easily #2, so you need Nasty Plot to break walls. But at the same time, very powerful scarfers are EXTREMELY common, so you need the speed that Agility gives you. If you've got some exceptional play, a pure Nasty Plot or Agili-Z set will do work (I used the Agili-Z set last gen to do work, and that was in a metagame with Conkeldurr and Techniloom), but they're rather one-dimensional.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)