XY UU Research Week #5

Status
Not open for further replies.
Approved by kokoloko.

Welcome, UUers and all those looking for an excellent comp. 'mons experience! A fresh tier means a fresh installment of Research Group!

Keep the following things in mind during every Research Group:
  • Be open-minded, don't just say something is terrible and walk away; look at its stats, movepool, and typing and think something up!
  • Feel free to theorymon early in the research period, but make it clear you're doing so. Later in the period though, you will be expected to back up your posts with hard evidence like logs, actual sets, perhaps even teams.
  • Just because an analysis has been done for a Pokemon doesn't mean there isn't more to explore; it's very likely that something has gone unnoticed.
  • Do not post in this thread complaining about the Pokemon I choose and / or suggesting ones we should do for future weeks. Feel free to VM / PM me these suggestions, but don't expect me to always listen to you.
A few things to clarify:
  • Early period means the first three days of the research week, so let's keep the theorymoning to a minimum after. The late period refers to the last four days of the research week, where raw evidence and discussion should become the basis of the thread.
  • Sign-Ups close Monday nights (about three and a half days of sign-ups), so be sure to sign up before they close!
  • The prizes for Research Week have been decided; winning a research week will grant you half-ops on our IRC channel, #xyuu. Win five, and you get a nomination for a Community Contributor badge.
  • You must post a ladder ranking in order to win the above prizes.

This Week's Research Pokemon:

Flygon | Slurpuff | Mega-Aerodactyl

How useful are these Pokemon in XYUU? What sets can they run effectively? What gives them trouble? What advantages do they have over other Pokemon? How well do they work in the metagame? If you have anything to say about any of these Pokemon, please post about them! It doesn't matter if you've used them or have just faced them in battle, anything is fine (but please, do try them). Just be sure to back up your posts with good competitive reasoning. Remember, discussion is not limited to this topic, you are encouraged to talk about these Pokemon in #xyuu as well!

The Research Group Challenge:

In order to participate you must do the following:
  • Post here with a fresh alt and the name(s) of the Pokemon you will be using.
  • Use at least one of the Pokemon being researched.
  • Post your experiences with the Pokemon you're using, participate in the discussion!
  • Post logs of this Pokemon in action against other teams - don't just tell us, show us!

The first stage of the challenge will be very relaxed so theorymon will be allowed as long as its backed up by good reasoning. During the later stage, discussion will be expected to be backed up by hard evidence, such as teams, actual sets, and logs. The winner of the challenge will be the person who has the highest ladder ranking on the Pokemon Showdown UU ladder on the alt they registered at the time the challenge ends. Prizes are currently being discussed with higher powers, so hang tight while I find something worth your guys' attention. Winners will also receive a permanent spot in the XYUU Hub Hall of Fame (once it exists).

Current Participants:
-Bouffalant (Slurpuff)
-Shaymin :D (Flygon / Mega-Aerodactyl)
-Calloflochie (Mega-Aerodactyl)
-Wyvern (Flygon / Mega-Aerodactyl)
-XenoBlade911 (Mega-Aerodactyl)
-Buckeyekmh20 (Mega-Aerodactyl)
-Galbia (Slurpuff)
-LightningLuxray (Mega-Aerodactyl)
-Billtodamax (Slurpuff)
-TM13IceBeam (Slurpuff)
-s_aman (Flygon)
-EchoesFayt242 (Flygon)
-eaglehawk (Flygon / Mega-Aerodactyl)
-radianthero156 (Mega-Aerodactyl)
-The DragonKnight (Mega-Aerodactyl)
-Koishi Komeji (Flygon / Mega-Aerodactyl)

Last edited:

Minus

get a dog little longy, get a dog
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Pokemon: Flygon, Mega-Aerodactyl
Alt: WyvernRW5

I'll try to actually do it this time.

Gonna quit with this alt because Slurpuff isn't enjoyable to use, in any role shape or form. I'd rather not go into detail about how much of a strain teambuilding is with this thing and how much support it needs.

If it's not allowed then count me out, but i'll start a fresh alt with Megadactyl, with the name git gud of frik.

Sorry Bouff, I could see your frustration with using that thing. To be honest, Mega-Dactyl is kind garbage as well. I have laddered into the 1400s but I feel like Mega-Dactyl hasnt done a thing, the other team members are carrying him. I started running with a hone claws set but I found it difficult to set up and still too weak to kill walls at +1. I switched it up to this set that has done ok:

Aerodactyl @ Aerodactylite
Ability: Rock Head
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 Atk / 4 SDef
Jolly Nature
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake
- Aerial Ace
- Defog

This thing is the fastest non-scarfed poke in the tier, which makes it a great revenge killer even with the semi-weak attack. It cannot do a thing to walls, so I am running a mixed victini and life orb mienshao to break them down. I threw defog on there because I usually run with mega-stoise to get rid of hazards and there arent many good defog users either way. Edgequake for coverage and aerial ace is good at killing the fighting types and odd roserade and shaymin who thing they can take one attack.

Edit --- just broke 1500, trying out a new set:

Aerodactyl @ Aerodactylite
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 Atk / 4 SDef
Jolly Nature
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake
- Aerial Ace
- Aqua Tail

I am really liking Aqua tail on this thing.. it does over 50% to donphan and hippowdown and is a good spamable move. I also won a game because it ate up a scarf chandalure's shadow ball!

Replays:
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/uu-104211337
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/uu-104352695
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/uu-104362426 -- almost got swept by a heracross but mega dactyl pulled through

Last edited:
needs more articuno

ps name: fuk tailslap
mons: slurpuff

ok yeah basically unburden is gay

i need time out from my 6x assault vest troll team anyway

Pokemon: slurpuff
Alt: unchequed

I'm out, slurpuff is just too gimmicky for my liking and requires too much thought in team building to be truly effective. I'd honestly rather use granbull because it at least doesn't require setup to be marginally effective.

I'll see what pokes are in the next research week.

Last edited:
i think i must be doing something wrong because slurpuff has seen literally zero use so far >_>"

i guess there must be something i'm doing wrong because all i've been doing so far is abusing the daylights out of amoonguss + slowbro, and the occasional paraflinch jirachi.

for the record the team i'm currently using is slurpuff / mega amp / bro / guss / machamp / jirachi

on that note the slurpuff set i'm using is BD + sitrus, which is stupidly generic but honestly slurpuff is fucking shit so idk (note to self: run enough hp evs to activate sitrus correctly)

incredibly i just managed a slurpuff sweep 3 minutes after posting this
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/uu-105024069

here's another slurpuff replay

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/uu-105026569

basically slurpuff is that random shit that never sees use 80% of the time but if you can somehow get the free turn to pull off a drum you can easily break a cake-shaped hole in the opponent's team

Last edited:
K so after using slurpuff for a little while it's devolved pretty quickly to "that mon I sac every game before it gives my opponent lots of free turns".

Holy shit this thing is awful.

No way I'm getting farther than this. Candy is a huge dead weight, and literally every one of those victories was crocune carrying its useless candy self. It got to the point where I could pretty accurately predict whether I'd win or lose by the amount of crocune checks on my opponent's team.

If it's okay, I'll take part (Even if the deadline is somehow over already)

Pokemon: Mega Aerodactyl, Flygon
Alt: SatoriKomeji (If it's taken then I'll just put random numbers on it)

Testing team does contain Weavile, so if that gets banned again I'll change it to something like Krook, Bronzong or whatever else I feel fits my team. And I really need a need a new physical wall, maybe Cofag or Empoleon. (Momo is doing poorly for me, sorry)

aVocado

@ Everstone
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
How are you guys finding Slurpuff so useless? On-paper, Belly Drum and Unburden sounds like a deadly combo, and it has a pretty strong STAB to go with it too..

I guess I could understand though, what with Jirachi and Mega Aggron being common.

Anyway, I've been using Flygon for quite a while now, and the Scarf set is pretty useful. Although weak, it requires an Adamant nature to do any serious damage, and with that, it'll lose the tie vs. Scarf Victini or Jirachi, and will be outsped by Scarf Darm.

It's still pretty useful though, U-turn gives lots of momentum and a powerful Outrage is good to clean-up late game. That's the only set I used so far though, I've been wanting to try out Band Flygon and Offensive/Support Defog.. which sound pretty good on paper.

It's that time again gang! Post a screenshot of your ladder rankings and enter for your chance to win a Leaderboard Point and half ops on #xyuu.

Because me closing this week is a bit late, I'll give you guys until sometime tomorrow night to report in.

EDIT: Just to clarify, anyone who joined will be added to the OP when I get home, and that you are eligible to submit ladder rankings via a screenshot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)