ORAS OU Zard Y Sand Offense

Hey everyone, this is a team I've been laddering with a bit and I wanted to know what people thought about it so I could improve it a little.

Charizard-Mega-Y @ Charizardite Y
Ability: Drought
EVs: 40 HP / 252 SpA / 216 Spe
IVs: 0 Atk
Modest Nature
- Fire Blast
- Solar Beam
- Focus Blast
- Roost
One of my favorite Pokemon to use from the XY meta and the Mega I was using after Mega Mawiles ban. 216 Speed to outspeed the Pokemon I have to outspeed, and 40 HP for bulk. Thinking of running only enough speed to outspeed base 80's and then investing the rest in bulk. Otherwise standard set. Should I replace with Mega Gardevoir/A different Stall Breaking mega to avoid two weathers and reducing Rotom-W's power?

Hippowdon (M) @ Smooth Rock
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 216 HP / 180 Def / 112 SpD
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Slack Off
- Whirlwind
Here to set Sand and Rocks. Earthquake to prevent Pokemon from switching in, Slack off to have longevity and be able to set sand multiple times in one match. Acts as my main switch in to many physical hitters, hence the EV spread. Whirlwind is to prevent Pokemon from boosting.

Excadrill @ Life Orb
Ability: Sand Rush
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
IVs: 29 HP
- Earthquake
- Iron Head
- Rock Slide
- Swords Dance
There can be no Sand Offense without Driller. Excadrill is an incredible Pokemon and ever since using it, I've come to love it. Exca and Charizard Y form an interesting core where Zard Y can take on Stall with ease, and Exca can easily take on offense once the opposing team has been weakened sufficiently. 29 HP IVs is a Life Orb number.

Rotom-Wash @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Hydro Pump
- Volt Switch
- Thunderbolt
- Trick
Scarf Rotom-W as my main counter to Bird Spam and acts as my Revenge Killer for the most part. I greatly enjoy Scarf users who can get rid of their Scarf, which allows them not to be complete deadweight against stall, and Rotom-Wash can definitely do that with Trick. Water and Electric are two powerful STABs as well, and two the rest of my team does not have. There's an unfortunate lack of synergy with Zard Y setting up sun reducing the damage of Rotom-W's Hydro Pumps, but that's an unfortunate side effect of the team.

Latias (F) @ Life Orb
Timid Nature
IVs: 29 HP / 0 Atk
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Healing Wish
- Defog
Standard Latias to give Healing Wish and Defog support for my Pokemon. 29 HP IVs, as mentioned earlier, give a life orb number. Healing Wish greatly helps my team, as it allows any of my Pokemon a second chance at greatly damaging the enemy team. That being said, Latias was a given, as it is one of the best Pokemon capable of learning both Defog and Healing Wish.

Gengar @ Black Sludge
Timid Nature
- Substitute
- Will-O-Wisp
- Shadow Ball
- Sludge Wave
Not exactly the most innovative thing, but also very unexpected, as most expect 3 attacks + god knows what. My main way of getting around Bisharp, as I can Sub when it Sucker Punchers, then Will-O when it most likely tries to Sucker Punch the second time. Gengar also does well against Balance, which goes great with Sand taking offense and Zard Y taking stall.

Thanks for reading and I'm really looking forward to what people have to say about it.

Last edited:
I suggest using Choice Scarf on Tyranitar instead of Smooth Rock. A Smooth Rock will prove to be rather useless since the weather will change often as Char-Y and Tyranitar switch in and out. It's not really bad to keep it, but a Choice Scarf would prove to be more useful since the added speed will give your team a way to beat Gengar, Starmie, M-Metagross, Latias, and Latios without eating a Meteor Mash, Focus Blast, Hydro Pump, or Draco Meteor. I recommend using Keldeo over Weavile since your team struggles with Steel-types, nothing outside of Excadrill and M-Charizard Y can take on Bisharp or Scizor. Keldeo also lures quite a few pokemon that Mega Charizard-Y has no problem dealing with. Plus you'll have an additional pokemon to potentially pass Nasty Plot boost to. You should split the EVs 252spa / 4SpD / 252spe on Mega Charizard Y to speed tie with other base 100 pokemon, the 40 Spdef EVs won't help against anything important while tying may give you a fighting chance against other base 100 mons. Use Hex instead of Shadow Ball if you're going to spread around status with Gengar, (since Hex has 130 base power if the opposing mon is statused), I also recommend using Taunt as well to halt attempts to set up and sweep.
Gengar @ Black Sludge
EVs: 8 HP / 248 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Hex
- Taunt
- Will-O-Wisp
- Substitute

Tyranitar -- Choice Scarf > Smooth Rock
Keldeo > Weavile

Alternatively, couldn't I just keep the Smooth Rock and make Keldeo my scarfer? lol.
Also I'd really rather keep Dual STAB on Gengar, the day something sets up on me is the day I'll say "man I really wish I had taunt right about now", but until then, I really think my Gengar is fine as it is, as Hex Gengar seems like more of a gimmick than anything. Thanks for the Keldeo suggestion though.

Also worth noting is I've never struggled with Starmie, Gengar, Latias, or Latios. Haven't seen any Mega Gross though, oddly enough.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)