Gen VII: Pokémon Sun and Moon (New info Post #5834)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cresselia~~

Junichi Masuda likes this!!
I think the ad points to Pokemon Go too, unless they are releasing something very similar.
Or maybe an offline, 3DS version of Pokemon Go, which is technically possible, probably, though maybe not very interested by people.

Tbh I was really disappointed in the cgi of the ad. Like really disappointed. To the point of embarrassment. It's 2016, when you consider the sheer amount of money it costs to even buy a slot at the superbowl expectations are high, let alone for a juggernaut like pokemon- I've seen 90s ads with better integrated animation. Really really bizarre, makes me wonder whether a) it's been made in Japan with complete disregard of research to the American audience or b) it was made by a 16 year old. (I study media and marketing hence why I'm so shocked lol)

This pulled it off better IMO :o And, notably, had a slightly older target audience than the Superbowl one. I'm not gonna comment on that :X

There was also this one but it wouldn't have worked at the superbowl IMO.

EDIT: might as well append this since the "z" thread has turned into "literally any Pokemon news at all since we are so starved for updates"
MEET TALKING JAPANESE DETECTIVE PIKACHU, AS WE EXPLORE THE EDGES OF UNCANNY VALLEY

Last edited:

skylight

a sky full of lighters ☆
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I honestly am disappointed. It wouldve been the perfect way to announce Z. They keep concentrating on releasing spinoffs (shuffle is the only exception - it's the closest we have to a main game right now as it keeps changing and keeps us hooked). For the most part pokken tour will be the most popular but otherwise Pokémon Go won't come anywhere near as close (I have a feeling it will wear off soon unless it's executed like shuffle). Like seriously half the other things announced (and events) don't really matter to the majority of us. By now they should realise that although those two and shuffle will keep us going we are all holding out for Z. So... Yeah commercial wasn't what I wanted. OK but not amazing. Unless they specifically don't release a new game this year because of it being 20 years (and not wanting anything to steal spotlight) but.. That'd be dumb. Doing this also pushes gen 7 back further :/ it's been three years into this generation. Gen 5 had roughly three (which should've been longer). Don't make us go through five of gen 6.

Although dp was released in 2006.. Giving me hope that they might skip Z and announce gen 7 in March for September release. We wouldn't expect it either!

Last edited:
EDIT: might as well append this since the "z" thread has turned into "literally any Pokemon news at all since we are so starved for updates"
MEET TALKING JAPANESE DETECTIVE PIKACHU, AS WE EXPLORE THE EDGES OF UNCANNY VALLEY
Okay so maybe it's just because I've been into the show recently and the Pikachu actually has the hat but does anyone else get serious vibes of the BBC Sherlock theme from that?

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
came to say my $0.02 but celticpride already covered it! In regards to the shitty CGI, I just wrote it off as them doing it on purpose coz they only showed gen one mons so they may have been trying to give them some charm / nostalgic look (they sorta reminded me of Stadium models but not really) rather than look super realistic, which may have been off-putting to the older fans. idk, that's me just trying to justify it lol.

The picture there shows Pokemon Trettia pieces (or whatever it is actually called). There IS a poster on it but it looks similar to other posters for the movie that we saw.

Alas, they have opted for the twentieth-anniversary inspirational ad. Even if they did sell a product with those precious thirty seconds, it would either be Go (as their next big project) or Z (as the next main-series game).

Codraroll

Cod Mod
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
What if pokemon Zed was gen 7?
No way. A new generation implies a whole new batch of Pokémon, a new region, new graphics/mechanics, all that jazz. If that is what Game Freak is planning for the next game, they wouldn't tie it to Kalos, nor the XY brand.

Besides, there's the long-standing tradition of re-using assets from every new region in a "third version" game. Porting Kalos over to whatever engine Gen VII runs on would be more work than it's worth, and NOT reusing Kalos for a final Gen VI game would be throwing away money too.

No way. A new generation implies a whole new batch of Pokémon, a new region, new graphics/mechanics, all that jazz. If that is what Game Freak is planning for the next game, they wouldn't tie it to Kalos, nor the XY brand.

Besides, there's the long-standing tradition of re-using assets from every new region in a "third version" game. Porting Kalos over to whatever engine Gen VII runs on would be more work than it's worth, and NOT reusing Kalos for a final Gen VI game would be throwing away money too.
Surely you don't need the same engine to run the same region?

Surely you don't need the same engine to run the same region?
No, but it's certainly much cheaper and much less time-consuming than starting from scratch.
In theory they could, but why would they when they can just use the engine they already have and they make a similar amount of money either way? They're just putting minimal work into an already-existing product they have to maximize profit. Simple business - in Transformers, when Hasbro and Takara make a new figure they tend to recolour and/or modify the figure's tooling and sell it again later so they can profit on the money put into making that figure in the first place. Same sort of deal here.

They're seriously rushing things with side games (Pokemon GO, Detective, Rumble, Picross, Shuffle, etc...) + Pokken Tournament and still no news about the new main game ... ?
ORAS was out IIRC in November 2014, and they still didn't announce any game yet ... So I don't except Z until at least November 2016 ...

Am I the only one that likes having this long a break between main games? I'm really happy to instead get a variety of great spin-offs all of which are different, unique and fun in their own way to choose from. There's really nothing wrong with a franchise taking a break on it's main games - especially when Game Freak in particular I worry for a lot considering their usual work ethic is churning out a ton of main series games at a disturbingly high rate despite them only having around 100 members IIRC. It's not like Mega Man or Metroid where we have no clue if we'll ever get a game again; Pokémon's doing just fine without Z for a while.

Am I the only one that likes having this long a break between main games? I'm really happy to instead get a variety of great spin-offs all of which are different, unique and fun in their own way to choose from. There's really nothing wrong with a franchise taking a break on it's main games - especially when Game Freak in particular I worry for a lot considering their usual work ethic is churning out a ton of main series games at a disturbingly high rate despite them only having around 100 members IIRC. It's not like Mega Man or Metroid where we have no clue if we'll ever get a game again; Pokémon's doing just fine without Z for a while.
You could argue that an increased amount of time means that we get a better end pokemon z game. Also, they can't go on forever making pokemon main games and they have to stop adding new pokemon.

Pernicious lies! Pokemon is best at gen infinity :B Gimme all the pikaclones you can muster!

But yeah I could grumble but I'm still okay with the wait. I mean... there's always other stuff to do besides play Pokemon *shock!* and as you said it's a frequent franchise so we won't be waiting forever. It helps that despite enjoying XY and ORAS I felt both were distinctly rushed in some areas (XY's postgame, ORAS in comparison to HGSS's polish) and I live in hope that the next one will not continue the pattern. ESPECIALLY if they're already saving time by building upon XY's work.

The flip side of this is, my standards for the next game are now SUPER high and I'll be really disappointed if the game isn't just flawless (insofar as a Pokemon game can be objectively flawless, e.g. ignoring difficulty entirely) but also pushes the experience forwards significantly (which, to be fair, both XY and ORAS did extremely well with 3D/the PSS/Dex Nav/Flying/Breeding changes). Oh well :0

EDIT: oh yeah and if Defog isn't a tutor move imma gonna have to make a strongly worded official complaint

Last edited:

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
According to the anime, Ash-Greninja is a Mega.

http://kasuria.tumblr.com/post/138689848606/shelgon-mega-evolution-energy-is-detected-by

The justification for it not requiring a Mega Stone is that Ash and Greninja have a stupidly strong bond.

If this carries over to the games, Ash-Greninja gets to be like Mega Ray and have item slot freedom.
Hmm, so maybe the Kalos Starters will be allowed to Mega Evolve in this way? As I previously said, they could have it so the model slightly changes to reflect what the player is wearing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 5)