A completely new Standard OU metagame?

The game has been out for some time and I've seen some Wifi battles on Youtube and discussed Gen V battling a little bit. Here's what I gathered:

Some Pokemon have upgraded a lot. Blaziken got Speed Boost, Cloyster Shell Break and Drizzle for Poliwrath amongst others.
Some remain pretty much the same. Jirachi, Infernape and Azelf to name a few have remained the same because neither new moves nor DW abilities have blessed them.
New Pokemon. Of course. It is a new generation afterall. The new Pokemon are all perky, fun and at least usable in the lower tiers.

One thing that struck me is how a lot of Pokemon were revamped and became more competitive. This means that the lower tiers may become even more exciting now. Those unusable Bug Pokemon you get in the early game? They get Butterfly Dance. Almost everything gets a Dream World ability. Everything is at least somewhat competitively viable (except for Luvdisc and Spinda, maybe they should be Little Cup. But that's for another thread).

Enough with the hedging. Now for my main point. I think the tiers will be overhauled.

Many say that the new Politoad and Ninetales will be "Ubered". But I do not see them in the same league as Kyogre or Groundon. Then I thought maybe there would be a tier between OU and Uber? Then I thought some more. And then, voila! Why not a new standard? (I know. A Pokemon is Uber not because of its performance in Ubers but because of its power in OU. But bear with me.)

Since Gen V brought in over 151 Pokemon (more than the original Generation!) and reintroduced the old folks through Dream World, why shouldn't there be a new Standard?

The previous metagame in a nutshell was of leads stealth rocking, top threats setting up boosts and sweeping and the opponent finding a way to stop them. Rinse and Repeat. Add in Scizor to scout and some Scarfed Revenger and that's it.

The new standard from what I can see now would be much faster. While setting up boosts will still be an element of the metagame, the introduction of the Power Creeps accelerate the game much more. The idea of leading may even be changed because of the teams being shown to the opponent beforehand. (people argue about this as to whether it is a good mechanic or not for the game. I think it has it's merits and disadvantages. Prediction is a key element of Pokemon and showing them beforehand will make the metagame more strategic in that sense. However, the idea of hiding a Pokemon is completely shattered. I once hid a Heatran until the right moment in my offensive hail team and he was the MVP of the match!!! hopefully, there will be an option of turning it off...I digress. Again, this should be for another thread)

Weather abuse. It is the hot topic. The addition of DW has taken weather abuse to another level. Nothing much to say here that hasn't already been said.

That's not it. The new generation added another dimension to the metagame. And when I say another dimension I mean another dimension. The sheer amount of these moves and abilities Gen V introduced to the game will create many perky Pokemon. While some of them may not be Power Creeps, I can see them being placed in the new standard. Shell Break Cloyster, Blaziken and Shadow Tag Shandera.

What about them oldtimers? I think some will remain OU. Here's another thing. I think there will be a couple more tiers. (Hopefully, the tiers will be smaller, thus allowing a larger portion of Pokemon to be used overall) But I think the lower tiers and the Ubers will be just as diverse as the standard metagame.

In short: I think that there are enough Pokemon to create a completely different metagame whether you are in UU or Uber or perhaps (hopefully) a new tier. I think (and hope) the new tiers will be more diverse. It sure looks that way.

it's always been like that.

Power creeps, new moves... no 2 generations have ever been the same.

Hell, D/P pre-platinum was a different metagame than the one now.

Bullet punch scizor was the best thing ever in Platinum, heck, it was the only change I remember from platinum.

breh

強いだね
Yeah, Rotom-formes and Shaymin-S didn't do anything.
Nor outrage mence..

Anyway I don't understand why people say that Politoed and Ninetales will go to uber... there are far from enough amazing abusers (obviously some are good, but none are just great) of sun and rain and both check Doryuuzu, which is a great and valuable asset.

However, I must admit that there have been efforts to make each pokemon viable at least... I mean barring a few pokemon that are just really meh (Maggyo, Mihroggu, Kenhorou, Zebaruika, the fire type Anteater or whatever), most have, at the very least, UU-type stats.

Yeah, Rotom-formes and Shaymin-S didn't do anything.
and the outrage move tutor which humiliated yes humiliated dragonite in shame :'(

as for the topic politoed learns drizzle not poliwrath but yeah OU will be in my honest opinion a weatherfest, and things like kingdra will see its name on one of the top threats.

I like the mentality that a pokemon goes into a tier not because it is powerful enough for a higher tier but because the pokemon is too powerful for the previous tier. And the middle tier such as BL should still stand.

The more pokemon in a tier, the less predictable the battles are.

I like the mentality that a pokemon goes into a tier not because it is powerful enough for a higher tier but because the pokemon is too powerful for the previous tier. And the middle tier such as BL should still stand.

The more pokemon in a tier, the less predictable the battles are.
Thus, hopefully, more tiers and less pokemon in each tier

Hmm..
This really is gonna be a whole new ballgame, with new pokemon, moves, and abilities galore, it'll be some time before any leeway is made in tier listing probably.
But that's me.

I disagree. I would think we want more Pokemon in each tier, so predictability is kept down. True, there're plenty of people who use the same 6 Pokemon in OU, but there are just as many people who branch out and use others. Variety is a good thing within a tier, in my opinion

I meant having less tiers is a good thing as it offers more predictabilty and more options to counter different pokemon, and not just countering the same old pokemon over and over again.

Having more pokemon in one tier will allow new strategies and new tactics to take down old threats. Some pokemon will always be popular and be used but countering these pokemon will be easier as there will be more pokemon to choose from.

I meant having less tiers is a good thing as it offers more predictabilty and more options to counter different pokemon, and not just countering the same old pokemon over and over again.

Having more pokemon in one tier will allow new strategies and new tactics to take down old threats. Some pokemon will always be popular and be used but countering these pokemon will be easier as there will be more pokemon to choose from.
That's not really an issue, since the pokemon from a lower tier is still available, and if you want a pokemon from a higher tier, you just play in that tier instead. As in, you have to remember that OU metagame includes OU, BL, UU, and NU pokemon, instead of only OU guys.

That's not really an issue, since the pokemon from a lower tier is still available, and if you want a pokemon from a higher tier, you just play in that tier instead. As in, you have to remember that OU metagame includes OU, BL, UU, and NU pokemon, instead of only OU guys.
Yes but having more pokemon in one tier means more variety and when was the last time you used a NU pokemon to counter the common threats of OU?

theere isn't really a point in having a lot of pokemon in one tier when a lot of them aren't used. Just the right amount would be what we're aiming for i guess

I have a gut feeling that there are enough almost-viable pokemon to replace borderline with a tier in between the current OU and UU, with the tier above becoming the new 'Standard'. Still, that's just theorymonning, but I'd like it all the same.

When I used Magneton/Porygon-2.

I hope there will only be one more tier. Ubers and BL are banlists for OU and UU. If NU got a banlist, everything would be a-ok.

Yes but having more pokemon in one tier means more variety and when was the last time you used a NU pokemon to counter the common threats of OU?
No, that's not what I was trying to get at.

Let's say, as an example, that there were only 80 pokemon overall. Let's compare a 4 tier system that (for simplicity) had exactly 20 pokemon each to a 8 tier system that had exactly 10 pokemon each.

If you were playing in the highest tier in the 4tier system, you had access to all 80 pokemon, which is the same as the highest tier in the 8tier system.

If you were playing in the second highest tier in the 4tier system, you can use all except the top 20 pokemon, which is exactly the same as the third highest tier in the 8tier system.

Likewise, the 3rd highest on the 4tier is the same as the 5th highest on the 8tier, and the lowest on the 4tier is the same as the 7th tier on the 8tier system.

The only difference is that while both systems have a 20, 40, 60, and 80 poke metagame, the 8tier system also has a 10, 30, 50, and 70 poke metagame to choose from.

Do you get what I'm saying? Making more tiers doesn't actually make less pokemon available per tier.

Although I do believe that most of the metagame will take a major overhaul (due to all the new possibilities we'll have) I don't find any reason that a new tier should be made.

The tiers aren't based on things like "A Tier, B Tier, C Tier", rather usage. Overused, Underused, Neverused, etc.

Basically all Pokemon will fit into one of the following categories: Not Evolved, used rarely, used sometimes, used a lot, too good to be used standardly, and in between tiers. Simple, really.

If you're going to split OU into like, OU 1 and OU 2, to make it "less crowded", then I just find that silly.

HEY GUYS OU2 POKES ONLY. >_> Might as well call it the Quite-a-bitUsed tier. :P

I think there will be at least a couple more tiers. At least.

I forgot to mention how Gen V snapped the +2 cap. In previous generations, there was a +2 cap to a boosting move. Dragon Dance, Charge Beam (damage and +1) ... etc. Now, look at Tail Glow, Butterfly Dance and Jaroda's Leaf Storm. +3.

Although I do believe that most of the metagame will take a major overhaul (due to all the new possibilities we'll have) I don't find any reason that a new tier should be made.

The tiers aren't based on things like "A Tier, B Tier, C Tier", rather usage. Overused, Underused, Neverused, etc.

Basically all Pokemon will fit into one of the following categories: Not Evolved, used rarely, used sometimes, used a lot, too good to be used standardly, and in between tiers. Simple, really.
The "in between tiers" I think might get big enough to warrant their own tier

I still can't see what's wrong with the current tiering of Uber/OU/BL/UU/NU.

Uber-too powerful for the standard metagame.

OU-Good pokemon with good stats that aren't broken. Everyone uses them.

BL-Too good for UU, but not exactly OU material. Seen sometimes.

UU-Average pokemon that have several weak points. Seen rarely.

NU-Pokemon with iffy stats,bad typing,bad abilities,shallow movepools, or all of the above. Never used.

What else do we need?

I think there will be at least a couple more tiers. At least.
Not really. Although I think one new tier is probable, there isn't a chance of getting two or three new ones. Also, OU isn't getting replaced as Standard anytime soon. You need to stop thinking so rigidly about tiers. The power levels of OU will change, not the tier's relation to the others in order to keep its Gen 4 power level. It's a bit ridiculous to think otherwise.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)