A trip down childhood memory lane

90's stuff from CN, Nick, and Disney (can't say that without laughing, but you know what I mean).

When it comes to Cartoon Network, the last good show was Camp Lazlo, but the last great show was Foster's Home for Imaginary friends.

Birkal

We have the technology.
is a Top Artistis a Top CAP Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Darkwing Duck was an awesome show. Solace and Acklow also had some pretty legit suggestions.

We, however, need more TaleSpin. This kid surfs on the clouds.

[youtube]7_cMaGt52QE[/youtube]

Eiganjo

So who did buy all the stroopwafels?
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
oh my God WHO REMEMBERS THIS?

ok i am done now, too much for me to handle at this hour.
everytime I hear Rita's voice, I think of Disgaea now

but im missing stuff like

- X-men (MORPH NOOOOOOOOOOOO)
- Spiderman
- M.A.S.K
- Ghostbusters
- King Arthur and the knights of the round table (yeah the one with the metal intro :P)
- Transformers
- Samurai Pizza Cats
- Bob in the bottle
- Teknoman (or actually its just tekkaman blade with episodes cut)
- Ducktales
- Thundercats

ah why do cartoons nowadays suck so much :(

This thread makes me feel old. I see people listing cartoons from like 3 years ago as "cartoons from their childhood". Yeesh. Any other 80s reps here??
I was born in '87 so I'm not an 80's kid, but I still grew up with stuff like TMNT, Thundercats, and He-Man. Going back and seeing some of the stuff I grew up with I saw how bad it was though. I will still watch the new TMNT, but I got the original series on netflix and it was so bad. There were things like the wrong voice coming out of characters, not to mention just being all goofy, which wasn't a problem, but I prefer the new ones.

Some stuff that I watch now are Generator Rex which can be pretty good at times, and Adventure Time. Some people may not like it, but I do so there's that.

Firestorm

I did my best, I have no regrets!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Animaniacs' portrayal of Stalin made me think he was a hilarious / goofy person when I was a kid. Man. Then I took history.
I had completely forgotten about this show!

mattj

blatant Nintendo fanboy
[youtube]AVoSylY5M_4[/youtube]
this saturday morning cartoon seriously changed my young life
i still re-watch it every now and then and its just as good as it ever was

Man, Tom and Jerry was, is and is still is my favorite cartoon ever! One that I can remember? The powerpuff girls, Looney Tunes, JhonnyBravo, All the Power Rangers until Dino Thunder, Spongebob, Dexter's Lab (lol DeeDee) Marvel Like X-Men and Spider-Man, umm, Pokemon Until Johto because the theme was amazing, The Justice League, Scooby-Doo, KND, Ed, Edd n' Eddy, Billy and Mandy, Teen Titans.

woo that was exhaustingly, nostalgic!

verbatim

[PLACEHOLDER]
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderatoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
This brings back loads of memories, in particular,

Teen Titans was amazing. They managed to get the humor/action mix just right. When they decided to make a story based arc, boy did they get it right (see, Trigon's arc/anything with Raven)

Justice League Unlimited managed to get an amazing blend of story and action (see, plot twists that will actually surprise you and general badassery. Superman and Darkseid's final battle was particularly amazing and defining of the series as a whole.

Samurai Jack is beyond my ability to describe, though I wish that it would of had a definite ending.

If you haven't seen the Grim Adventure's of Billy and Mandy (and the accompanying movies) then well...

One show that I feel hasn't gotten enough love (I blame Cartoon Network's putting the good shows at weird times) is Code Lyoko. The concept was cool and the storytelling was phenomenal (back then at least). The only low note I can find is the horrendous ending, though going to the official site reveals a resurrection in progress. I have no idea how they can create new conflict but i am beyond ecstatic over it.

tl;dr, I'm young and had/have way too much freetime

Edit: How the hell could I forget Johnny Bravo!?!

Chou Toshio

Over9000
is an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
This thread makes me feel old. I see people listing cartoons from like 3 years ago as "cartoons from their childhood". Yeesh. Any other 80s reps here??
here here.

Though, it's not like I DIDN'T see a lot of these shows-- Dexter's lab in particular was not bad, though I always felt PP Girls was a shameless, tasteless, and god-awful rip off of Japanese anime.

Samurai Jack was a pretty cool concept, and much more tasteful-- but again, I was in highschool when that show came out!

It's kind of sad to say, but looking back on the American "cartoons" (and American-localized/bastardized/absolutely ruined Japanese anime) of my childhood, I can't really do anything but cringe-- everything from Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles to Courage the Cowardly Dog just makes me shudder at the thought I'd ever wasted hours of my life watching it.

I mean... I can't really look at shows like Ren and Stimpy or Cow and Chicken and feel anything but a deep sense of disgust and shame... sorry...

Out of the cartoons I encountered in my youth, I'd say the exceptions to this would be:

1) Robotech-- while it was a horrible bastardized localization (I mean, Hikaru and Misa were made American instead of Japanese... Rick/Lisa... ughhh...), it eventually led me to Macross, which is a big love of my life even now.

2) Dragon Ball Z-- I mean, come on-- it's Dragon Ball Z. The Dub is better than the original.

3) Pokemon (It's Pokemon, we're at Smogon, yeah... watch the movies, not the anime...)

I mean, my students here in Japan are growing up with shit like One Piece. How the hell can I not be jealous? (Luffy is more awesome, and the series more epic than anything I grew up with as a kid...)

I mean, imagining being a little kid and having THIS as the opening to your Saturday morning cartoons...

I would have fucking overdosed on epic.

verbatim

[PLACEHOLDER]
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderatoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
Am I the only one who feels that when it comes to pokemon that they get the interns/1000 monkeys with typewriters to do the regular show and keep the professionals locked up until its time for a movie?

Chou Toshio

Over9000
is an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Am I the only one who feels that when it comes to pokemon that they get the interns/1000 monkeys with typewriters to do the regular show and keep the professionals locked up until its time for a movie?
Yes, that's why you should just watch the movies :P

I must've been really addicted to the Looney Tunes or something. Because I clearly remember this:

[youtube]SzgtPJkI0ZM[/youtube]

and this:

[youtube]iJPFSNu_QNs&feature=related[/youtube]

and these:

[youtube]bpjXFF0zIJY&feature=related[/youtube]
[youtube]KA0TS9l_nJE&feature=related[/youtube]

Also props to this episode for helping me remember all 50 states when I was a tyke:
[youtube]sNUDDaEOvuY&feature=related[/youtube]

DIGIMON
MONSTER RANCHER
RECESS
THE WEEKENDERS
KIM POSSIBLE
ED EDD N' EDDY
THE WILD THORNBERRIES
TALESPIN
DUCK TALES
OLD POKEMON
COURAGE THE COWARDLY DOG
POWERPUFF GIRLS
CYBERSIX
REDWALL
SILVERWING
BATMAN (ALL BATMAN SERIES)
ROCKET POWER
RUGRATS
PEPPER ANN
JOHNNY BRAVO
ANGRY BEAVERS
HEY ARNOLD!
DEXTER'S LABORATORY
DRAGON BALL Z
BEAST WARS
FELIX THE CAT
PINKY AND THE BRAIN
REBOOT
ROCKO'S MODERN LIFE
SONIC THE HEDGEHOG
ANIMANIACS
GARGOYLES
DARKWING DUCK

Teen Titans was amazing. They managed to get the humor/action mix just right. When they decided to make a story based arc, boy did they get it right (see, Trigon's arc/anything with Raven)
this man knows what he's talking about

when there's trouble you know who to call

Firestorm

I did my best, I have no regrets!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
can't believe I forgot to mention Inspector Gadget and Space Ghost omg
I have a friend - only three years younger than me - who did not know Inspector Gadget was a tv show. She thought it was just a movie.

It's things like that which make me sad.

Man reading up on some of these brings back lots of memories...

I miss Toonami so much, anyone else remember when they replaced the old Tom with that new one? So sad...and that's also pretty much when it started going downhill too. Oh and the old Adult Swim that showed excellent ANIME, not the shit they throw on there like their fail attempts at original programming...

Also a shoutout to Gundam, Gundam Wing, 8th MS team, etc etc...even G Gundam was better than most of the shit they put on Cartoon Network these days. Cowboy Bebop for best anime as well probably, about the only thing I can possibly like more than Gundam.

Things that remind me of the past include, but are not limited to:

• Rocket Power
  • Hey Arnold!
  • Rugrats
  • Chalk Zone
  • Weavile Secret Wonders

I love watching old cartoons. They are my bros. I miss the past, I miss my family.

Darkwing Duck was an awesome show. Solace and Acklow also had some pretty legit suggestions.

[youtube]7_cMaGt52QE[/youtube]

Wow. This is the first time in like 15 years that I even remembered this was a thing. So nostalgia.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)