Aldaron's proposal: Alternatives?

What options would you be satisfied with? (Vote for all)

• Continue banning Swift Swim + Drizzle permanently

Votes: 110 24.9%
  • Ban Swift Swim

Votes: 23 5.2%
  • Ban individual broken Swift Swim sweepers

Votes: 90 20.4%
  • Ban individual broken Swift Swim sweepers, but only with Drizzle

Votes: 65 14.7%
  • Ban individual broken Swift Swim sweepers, but only with Swift Swim

Votes: 43 9.8%
  • Ban individual broken Swift Swim sweepers, but only with both Drizzle and Swift Swim

Votes: 82 18.6%
  • Ban Drizzle entirely

Votes: 114 25.9%
  • Ban permanent weather entirely

Votes: 83 18.8%
  • Don't ban anything

Votes: 98 22.2%
  • Other

Votes: 19 4.3%

• Total voters
I thought you could only click one...

I clicked "Ban Drizzle Entirely". I also support "Don't Ban Anything" and "Ban individual broken Swift Swim sweepers", or "Ban individual broken Swift Swim sweepers, but only with Drizzle" depending on what's broken. Those four options are the only logical ones, any other options (including Aldaron's Propsal) are logically flawed. Flowchart at bottom in text form.

Look. We're here to ban things that are BROKEN, not make some "ideal metagame". The fact of the matter is, only things that belong in the Uber tier should go there. Aldaron's Proposal is possibly the worst Suspect Test vote in Smogon's history simply because it tries to do everything and fails to do anything correctly. It's painfully obvious that Drizzle and Swift Swim are not broken as a combination, as for a combination to be broken, everything in that combination must be broken. Otherwise, the combination is not broken and something else is (or nothing is). Let's look at the Drizzle situation at its simplest:

Question 1: Is rain broken?

If no, go to Conclusion 1
If yes, go to Question 2

Question 2: What makes Rain broken?

1. Drizzle breaks Swift Swim, go to Conclusion 4
2. Drizzle is broken because of Kingdra and Co., go to Conclusion 2
3. The Swift Swim pokemon are broken because of infinite rain, go to Conclusion 3
4. Both 2 and 3 are accurate, go to Question 3.

Question 3: Is Drizzle broken without SS Sweepers?

Yes, go to Conclusion 2
No, go to Conclusion 5

Conclusion 1: Ban nothing
Conclusion 2: Ban Drizzle
Conclusion 3: Ban some sweepers
Conclusion 4: Read the damn post and try again.
Conclusion 5: Ban Drizzle + The Broken Sweepers as a complex ban

Aldaron's Proposal is incorrect no matter what conclusion you reach. Aldaron's Proposal is similar to Conclusion 5, however, so if you reach that conclusion, just modify the ban to only cover the sweepers.

Remember: We're only here to "ban the broken stuff", NOT "ban what's easy". Aldaron's Proposal was the easy way out, it's also the wrong way out. Let's either repeal it or modify it.
Your entire logic tree is moot because of one false assumption you have made. Bans are here to achieve an ideal metagame, not to get rid of "broken" Pokemon. The banning of broken Pokemon is definitely a part of making the metagame ideal, but it is certainly not the only thing that is taken into account.

You act like Aldaron's proposal set out to balance the entire metagame, and failed miserably at it. However, Aldaron's proposal is, for a large part, the only reason the metagame is even playable today! We went from Hydro Pump spam to intense strategy in one round of testing, largely thanks to Drizzle+SwSw. This is just my opinion, but that seems to me like an excellent example of a ban that strives to make the metagame ideal.

It seems that a large portion of the community does not understand this, and also has several other major misconceptions about Aldaron's Proposal, which is why we see the poll the way it is. Since bans basically boil down to a popularity poll anyways, I hope that players realize what Drizzle+SwSw has done for the metagame before repealing it and throwing the metagame miles back for several months. Instead, I am hoping that we wait for a suspect round in which no majorities are made before we go back and test each Swift Swimmer. Then we can waste all the time we want, but not right now when we still have to deal with other suspects.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)