Battle Spot - Simple Questions and Answers

Assault Vest Lapras and Articuno are way better
Wait, AV articuno is a thing?
Or are we talking the ever-fun Sheer Cold spamming bulkyburd that runs either RestTalk or SubRoost?

Honestly, I think AV is excessive on Regice; anything I can imagine it being used to handle (ie Mence, Landog, Chompy, etc) are probably handled better with a Sitrus or Expert Belt set. Yeah, you live atomic bombs and all, but there's no point if you can't do anything respectable in return. Lack of Ice Shard really hurts.
AV Regirock on the other hand, that thing is fucking fun. Great coverage, actually has the bulk to handle Mence / Landog and such.

252+ SpA Mega Charizard Y Overheat vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Assault Vest Regice in Sun: 122-146 (65.2 - 78%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Wow! Why do noone ever uses regice?
Well I used this(is that why you brought it up .:)

AV Regice is good in a lot of ways, but no recovery(even non-AV only has Rest,) 4 weaknesses with just one resist, slightly lacking power, and low Spe all hurt its viability a lot.

Im not sure if AV is the best item. It was the one i was immediately drawn to tho. Specs is too limiting imo, and bulkier sets like Sitrus and such are offset by the fact that so many strong physical things 2hko or better anyways and theres no other recovery or good way to miyigate damage like WoW or Reflect(Ive thot about Amnesia, but youd want Iron Defense, and Regice doesnt have that. Boostint the SpD more would be great if they had no physical attackers, but is still super susceptible to Toxic, WoW, and CM users.)

A different ev spread than what you used in that calc is best. Zard Y 2hkos with Fire Blast even when youre max special bulk, and Flamethrower does fine too. The spread I made was like 252 HP/ 92 Def/ 160 SpA(HP Grass)/ 4 Spe. That gives a bery good chance to live regular Chomp's Stone Edge, and always lives Max Atk Kang's DE to smack it with Focus Miss...mayb. Still loses tho, and Rock Slide and stuff exists, but you wouldnt wanna drop bulk much if at all cuz Mence.

The moveset I used was Ice Beam/ Charge Beam/ Focus Blast/ HP Grass(in-game ine is completely flawless Calm, except 30 SpA. Kinda a shame not to use HP Grass to make use if that blemish, and its not bad besides.)

Charge Beam over t-bolt since the boosts help a lot. Charge Beam makes for a good finisher when foe is low health(better than Ancientpower, which i changed for HP Grass,) amd the situations where you'd use t-boot are fairly few, so imo the power is not missed.

HP Grass is the only other move explanation might be neccesary. It's the best move against Rotom-W by a little, power of Focus Miss without the accuracy. Hits water/ grounds hard which is a nice surprise against Swampert in particular, though I remwmber it doesn't kill. Lets you beat out Gastrodon and Quagsire though. Also best move vs the odd Lanturn. Tiny bit better vs water types not weak to fighting or neutral to ice since Charge Beam has slightly less BP and can miss. Often though it's better to use Charge Beam or switch.

Another thing for HP Grass is that the move i was using at first, Ancientpower, mainly targets Zard Y, Talon, and Volcarona.

Zard Y only dies to Ancientpower Regice with SR on the field, and that can be hard to manage. Talon can kill Regice easy with Flare Blitz, and do the same with Brave Bird with some prior damage. Again it's not that helpful, unless maybe if you have Reflect or something to take w/e hit and ohko back. Volcarona really does lose to Ancientpower most of the time, but it's the least common target of it that's still pretty relevant, and with proper boosts it wins just fine. Ofc, Refice may have boosts of its own so yea.

Anyways, Regice overall is pretty meh. Not god awful at all, but tricky to utilize effectively. If you can do good with it(65% GXE mayb?) that's worth just about any number of wins with a team thats S tier and w/e, but good luck witth doing really good with it.

I've thought about what else mught be good for Regice, but most stuff seems questionable at best. Regice gas Curse, Ice Punch, orher physical coverage, and ofc Rest. That and a huge SpD make a Curse set wirh a Chesto Berry seem good, but you're using a base 50 atk stat, which is pretty crumby. A Gravity setter might be ok, since it has stuff like Focus Blast, Blizzard, and Zap Cannon. Gravity doesn't last long though, and Regice is definitely too slow to make proper use of an Eject Button.

Being a t-wave or Toxic spreader isn't bad, but it's nothing new, so there are better things for it. A Rock Polish and Weakness Policy set might be fun, but isn't absurdly fast even if you manage to set up, weak to priority, and les bulky than normal. There isn't really much else. Regice likes the rain, but there are better setters. Icy Wind is a good move, but gives up too much power to lower Spe one stage.

Well I used this(is that why you brought it up .:)

AV Regice is good in a lot of ways, but no recovery(even non-AV only has Rest,) 4 weaknesses with just one resist, slightly lacking power, and low Spe all hurt its viability a lot.

Im not sure if AV is the best item. It was the one i was immediately drawn to tho. Specs is too limiting imo, and bulkier sets like Sitrus and such are offset by the fact that so many strong physical things 2hko or better anyways and theres no other recovery or good way to miyigate damage like WoW or Reflect(Ive thot about Amnesia, but youd want Iron Defense, and Regice doesnt have that. Boostint the SpD more would be great if they had no physical attackers, but is still super susceptible to Toxic, WoW, and CM users.)

A different ev spread than what you used in that calc is best. Zard Y 2hkos with Fire Blast even when youre max special bulk, and Flamethrower does fine too. The spread I made was like 252 HP/ 92 Def/ 160 SpA(HP Grass)/ 4 Spe. That gives a bery good chance to live regular Chomp's Stone Edge, and always lives Max Atk Kang's DE to smack it with Focus Miss...mayb. Still loses tho, and Rock Slide and stuff exists, but you wouldnt wanna drop bulk much if at all cuz Mence.

The moveset I used was Ice Beam/ Charge Beam/ Focus Blast/ HP Grass(in-game ine is completely flawless Calm, except 30 SpA. Kinda a shame not to use HP Grass to make use if that blemish, and its not bad besides.)

Charge Beam over t-bolt since the boosts help a lot. Charge Beam makes for a good finisher when foe is low health(better than Ancientpower, which i changed for HP Grass,) amd the situations where you'd use t-boot are fairly few, so imo the power is not missed.

HP Grass is the only other move explanation might be neccesary. It's the best move against Rotom-W by a little, power of Focus Miss without the accuracy. Hits water/ grounds hard which is a nice surprise against Swampert in particular, though I remwmber it doesn't kill. Lets you beat out Gastrodon and Quagsire though. Also best move vs the odd Lanturn. Tiny bit better vs water types not weak to fighting or neutral to ice since Charge Beam has slightly less BP and can miss. Often though it's better to use Charge Beam or switch.

Another thing for HP Grass is that the move i was using at first, Ancientpower, mainly targets Zard Y, Talon, and Volcarona.

Zard Y only dies to Ancientpower Regice with SR on the field, and that can be hard to manage. Talon can kill Regice easy with Flare Blitz, and do the same with Brave Bird with some prior damage. Again it's not that helpful, unless maybe if you have Reflect or something to take w/e hit and ohko back. Volcarona really does lose to Ancientpower most of the time, but it's the least common target of it that's still pretty relevant, and with proper boosts it wins just fine. Ofc, Refice may have boosts of its own so yea.

Anyways, Regice overall is pretty meh. Not god awful at all, but tricky to utilize effectively. If you can do good with it(65% GXE mayb?) that's worth just about any number of wins with a team thats S tier and w/e, but good luck witth doing really good with it.

I've thought about what else mught be good for Regice, but most stuff seems questionable at best. Regice gas Curse, Ice Punch, orher physical coverage, and ofc Rest. That and a huge SpD make a Curse set wirh a Chesto Berry seem good, but you're using a base 50 atk stat, which is pretty crumby. A Gravity setter might be ok, since it has stuff like Focus Blast, Blizzard, and Zap Cannon. Gravity doesn't last long though, and Regice is definitely too slow to make proper use of an Eject Button.

Being a t-wave or Toxic spreader isn't bad, but it's nothing new, so there are better things for it. A Rock Polish and Weakness Policy set might be fun, but isn't absurdly fast even if you manage to set up, weak to priority, and les bulky than normal. There isn't really much else. Regice likes the rain, but there are better setters. Icy Wind is a good move, but gives up too much power to lower Spe one stage.
Thanks for your indepth answer! Maybe combined with avalugg in monotype format it would be good only haha.

Hulavuta

keeps the varmints on the run
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Thanks for your indepth answer! Maybe combined with avalugg in monotype format it would be good only haha.
It is really not cool to ignore the posts that argue that Regice is bad and only respond to the one that says it is good. You didn't ask "what is the best set for Regice" you asked "why doesn't anyone use it" and Nelson answered why nobody uses it. So please don't ignore a legitimate answer just because you don't like it.

It is really not cool to ignore the posts that argue that Regice is bad and only respond to the one that says it is good. You didn't ask "what is the best set for Regice" you asked "why doesn't anyone use it" and Nelson answered why nobody uses it. So please don't ignore a legitimate answer just because you don't like it.
I didnt mean to do that, hulavuta, sorry for this. I just was a bit lazy and felt a bit like spam if i would thank anyone because it clusters up the thread but then i suddenly thought that because omastar made such a long post i needed to thank him. That does not mean i didnt like the answer of nelson at all! I do understand why it seemed that way though. Nelsons post was very informative as well and i like it that he helped me with my question. I have no reason not to like nelsons answer over omastars because in the end they both said regice was unviable.

Last edited:
Anyone ever run Tornadus in Doubles? LO Incarnate, LO / AV Therian? I know its a bit frail and depressingly lacks Roost, but a really fast Tailwind (in Incarnate's case) and decent coverage makes me wonder if its good to run at all. Yes, Talonflame has fastest Tailwind ever, and has Flare Blitz / Overheat for secondary STAB, but Torn-T has a bit more bulk (Especially AV, no investment needed to tank LO Greninja Ice beam), Icy Wind for Speed control on AV or even an offensive set to slap Mence / Landog / etc and keep advantage against opposing Tailwind.

Not sure if AV Torn-T runs much bulk. Not sure if Therian or Incarnate would be better on an LO set. The Forgotten Genie just seems so... I dunno, neglected yet interesting to me. I guess what I'm asking is, set advice, or info on what it does in Singles, at least.

Hi! I have this Pokemon that I would like to use in Battle Spot Special Format, and possibly The 2016 International Challenge June:

Thundurus
[Untrained]

IVs: 31/31/31/31/31/31
Nature: Calm
Ability: Prankster
Level: 50
OT: Most ID: 50595

Moves:

-Thunderbolt
-Grass Knot
-Thunder Wave
-Taunt

What would be the best EV spread?

Demantoid

APMS Founder
is a Top Tiering Contributor
Anyone ever run Tornadus in Doubles? LO Incarnate, LO / AV Therian? I know its a bit frail and depressingly lacks Roost, but a really fast Tailwind (in Incarnate's case) and decent coverage makes me wonder if its good to run at all. Yes, Talonflame has fastest Tailwind ever, and has Flare Blitz / Overheat for secondary STAB, but Torn-T has a bit more bulk (Especially AV, no investment needed to tank LO Greninja Ice beam), Icy Wind for Speed control on AV or even an offensive set to slap Mence / Landog / etc and keep advantage against opposing Tailwind.

Not sure if AV Torn-T runs much bulk. Not sure if Therian or Incarnate would be better on an LO set. The Forgotten Genie just seems so... I dunno, neglected yet interesting to me. I guess what I'm asking is, set advice, or info on what it does in Singles, at least.
I used a mixed LO Torn-I on my second cartridge on a rain team for a while. Used a moveset of Hurricane, Superpower, Heat Wave, and Protect. That team as a whole was kind of strange though: Mega Swampert, Ludicolo, Tornadus-I, Aegislash, Pachirisu, and Scyther; mostly just things I had lying around I wasn't using but it still got me into the 1700s.
Hi! I have this Pokemon that I would like to use in Battle Spot Special Format, and possibly The 2016 International Challenge June:

Thundurus
[Untrained]

IVs: 31/31/31/31/31/31
Nature: Calm
Ability: Prankster
Level: 50
OT: Most ID: 50595

Moves:

-Thunderbolt
-Grass Knot
-Thunder Wave
-Taunt

What would be the best EV spread?
For future reference questions related to the International Challenges and other formats that use the VGC rule format should go in that section. I don't know of any good Calm spreads because a large majority use Timid instead, so I would try to find one of those.

I used a mixed LO Torn-I on my second cartridge on a rain team for a while. Used a moveset of Hurricane, Superpower, Heat Wave, and Protect. That team as a whole was kind of strange though: Mega Swampert, Ludicolo, Tornadus-I, Aegislash, Pachirisu, and Scyther; mostly just things I had lying around I wasn't using but it still got me into the 1700s.
You got to 1700 with a Pachirisu and Scyther wtf man.
I mean, I did it with a Cobalion, of all shit, but still. I adore Scyther but it has so little going for it.

I was thinking about it on a pretty fast, offensive team that doesn't use Char-Y for once in my life that might not *need* Tailwind, but when I saw "Obnoxiously fast, somewhat bulky, and nice coverage" on Therian I wanted to try it with AV. idk if the bulk increase and Regenerator is worth the power drop and lack of Prankster. Guess I'll just try it and see what happens, lol. Talonflame does 85% of what I wanna do but Tornadus-T isn't even ranked, Incarnate's somewhere in C, and I've done better with worse so why not. :P

If you don't mind me asking, what were you using that Pachirisu for? Legitimately curious.

I've used it on a fun team I was using late last year. It was a partial rain team (Politoed, Seismitoad, M-Pinsir, Ferrothorn, Excadrill, Tornadus-I) but the main focus was to have some fun with a CB Mold Breaker Excadrill. Since Torn was faster than the Excadrill I gave it Smack Down to combo with CB EQs. Other than that it was similar to Demantoid's with Hurricane and Heatwave (I had Rain Dance in the last slot). Pretty much acting as a (secondary) check to M-Venu and Ferrothorn for the rain stuff while having support options, this seems to be it's most well suited role.

I've used it on a fun team I was using late last year. It was a partial rain team (Politoed, Seismitoad, M-Pinsir, Ferrothorn, Excadrill, Tornadus-I) but the main focus was to have some fun with a CB Mold Breaker Excadrill. Since Torn was faster than the Excadrill I gave it Smack Down to combo with CB EQs. Other than that it was similar to Demantoid's with Hurricane and Heatwave (I had Rain Dance in the last slot). Pretty much acting as a (secondary) check to M-Venu and Ferrothorn for the rain stuff while having support options, this seems to be it's most well suited role.
Hmm, I guess what I'm working on could use Rain, but it's not a big deal either way. I'm just going to throw what I have into the workshop and see what happens.

You could always just use it for Prankster Tailwind, Prankster Taunt and fast Sky Drop support.
Oh, Sky Drop. I'm iffy on that, but then again, Air Slash is awful STAB and Hurricane is as reliable as Focus blast. Which is to say, nearly useless itself.
I didn't think of Sky Drop though, I have honestly never seen that in Doubles. Just removes a non-Flying/Levitate threat for a turn, right?

Oh, Sky Drop. I'm iffy on that, but then again, Air Slash is awful STAB and Hurricane is as reliable as Focus blast. Which is to say, nearly useless itself.
I didn't think of Sky Drop though, I have honestly never seen that in Doubles. Just removes a non-Flying/Levitate threat for a turn, right?
You can still Sky Drop levitating or flying mons, they just don't take any damage on the drop.
Heatran and other stuff that is too heavy is what you'd have to look out for.
Sky Drop does allow you to create one-on-ones in your favour though.

Oh and Sky Drop allows you to mess with Follow Me + Rage Powder, because it can't be redirected. Which means that they waste a turn if they try to redirect and you Sky Drop the partner.

You can still Sky Drop levitating or flying mons, they just don't take any damage on the drop.
Heatran and other stuff that is too heavy is what you'd have to look out for.
Sky Drop does allow you to create one-on-ones in your favour though.

Oh and Sky Drop allows you to mess with Follow Me + Rage Powder, because it can't be redirected. Which means that they waste a turn if they try to redirect and you Sky Drop the partner.
Ooh, sweet. I knew none of these. Might have to do it, lol.

For a Battle Spot Doubles team, which Milotic is better in general: defensive Bold nature with Marvel Scale or offensive Modest nature with Competitive? Basically, are defensive Pokemon with no real supporting moves better or a team of all offensive Pokemon?

For a Battle Spot Doubles team, which Milotic is better in general: defensive Bold nature with Marvel Scale or offensive Modest nature with Competitive? Basically, are defensive Pokemon with no real supporting moves better or a team of all offensive Pokemon?
The nature is debatable, but the Ability is not. Use Competitive.

Milotic provides Icy Wind support and keeps your opponent from cycling Intimidate. It doesn't need status moves to be supportive.

Oh Milotic is fantastic; I would second everything Nelson said. Bold is the most common nature from season 15, you typically want Bold + Competitive to handle Landorus-T and such better. Modest helps hit Ice Beam numbers for Garchomp and such, but Icy Wind is imo better.

What are the most common cores with charizard x and charizard y respectively? I keep messing up with team preview in predicting which charizard i will face. I know about the most obvious one: hippowdon with char y but not so much for the rest.

Which item is better for greninja, focus sash or life orb? The ninja I'm using is a mixed one, with 84atk/252SpA/172spe (naive) with scald/Icebeam/low kick/gunk shot. Life orb seems to be better so a low kick could do huge damage on mega khan. I have other team mates that can deal with it. But I do have problems with blaziken and the scarf/sash variants of garchomp. I tried successfully a shadow sneak greninja so it could avoid the HJK from blaziken, it would take damage from crash and KO'ed next turn. But that would take out gunk shot from the set..Garchomp is the same problem. I tried some EV that ninja could survive from a adamant outrage garchomp (that has scarf). OK but, the life orb recoil would make ninja survive for just 1 turn.
Focus sash, otherwise, make ninja survive from these threats (since I got a answer to mega khan, from other team mates). But it lacks power.
Which one would you guys choose? thanks

Which item is better for greninja, focus sash or life orb? The ninja I'm using is a mixed one, with 84atk/252SpA/172spe (naive) with scald/Icebeam/low kick/gunk shot. Life orb seems to be better so a low kick could do huge damage on mega khan. I have other team mates that can deal with it. But I do have problems with blaziken and the scarf/sash variants of garchomp. I tried successfully a shadow sneak greninja so it could avoid the HJK from blaziken, it would take damage from crash and KO'ed next turn. But that would take out gunk shot from the set..Garchomp is the same problem. I tried some EV that ninja could survive from a adamant outrage garchomp (that has scarf). OK but, the life orb recoil would make ninja survive for just 1 turn.
Focus sash, otherwise, make ninja survive from these threats (since I got a answer to mega khan, from other team mates). But it lacks power.
Which one would you guys choose? thanks
I should use focus sash because greninja is powerful enough on its own but not bulky enough to survive most things. Instead of shadow sneak you could opt for water shuriken but with focus sash you are almost guaranteed to have at least two turns with your greninja except for priority users or multihit pokemon or sand or hail mons.

lol, was looking at usage stats for singles. Funny how they're a little different but if you didn't look closely they'd seem the same.

Still, what accounts for minor fluctuations like Greninja moving up and stuff? Some things make sense cuz a new strategy gets popularized, like Secret Power Kang lowered Serperior's usage a lt. But what rose in use that's beat by Gren, or which of its checks fell in use? Or is this hype for that Ash Greninja thing gonna be in Sun and Moon? Anyways, there's others I was gonna ask but internet freaking out on me I guess. Mawile might've moved up, but that might be old news anyways, and I can definitely agree on that one(can agree with Gren too, really, tho i'm not sure why Suicune dropped to #13.)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 4)