ORAS OU BellyPass Shenanigans

Hello everyone! :D

Some time ago I was mulling some thoughts around about different ways to use one of my favorite Pokemon competitively, Smeargle. I always saw it on baton pass teams and the like, and I (never really having a penchant for baton pass teams) decided to give it a try, with belly drum no less. The team already has a fairly decent win rate, but I always believe there's room for improvement. Now without any further ado:

Smeargle (M) @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Own Tempo
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Dark Void
- Belly Drum
- Baton Pass
- Super Fang

As you'd imagine, Smeargle is the lynch pin in this team. I used dark void over spore because in an old version of this team, I found myself getting countered easily that way. Plus it lures people into switching in annoying pokemon like Mega Venusar or Breloom. Belly Drum+Baton Pass are the whole reason Smeargle is here of course, and Super Fang is a bit of a filler move, albeit a useful one. Sitrus berry is there so Smeargle can (on paper anyway) set up and use belly pass at least twice in one game.

Charizard (M) @ Charizardite X
Ability: Blaze
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Claw
- Flare Blitz
- Earthquake
- Roost

Ah MegaZard X, an amazing Pokemon made even better with BellyPass support. Dragon Claw and Flare Blitz are there for stab of course, Earthquake for coverage and Roost is there to increase longevity (don't wanna have to switch out and loose that big boost now would I?) and/or help mitigate recoil from Flare Blitz.

Scizor (F) @ Life Orb
Ability: Technician
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Bug Bite
- Bullet Punch
- Aerial Ace
- Knock Off

Scizor is the 2nd main offensive force on this team, and I think that MegaZard X and Scizor compliment each other quite well. This is a fairly standard Technician set w/ life orb for maximum damage output. Bug Bite and Bullet Punch are amazing stab moves, especially with the boost. Aerial Ace makes for decent coverage, with a very nice base power thanks to Technician. And knock off is there for utility mostly, although it is an incredibly useful move.

Donphan (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 56 HP / 200 Atk / 252 Def
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Rapid Spin
- Ice Shard
- Earthquake

Donphan is my go-to spinner/entry hazard Pokemon in most teams. It also makes a decent "emergency baton pass target" if MegaZard or Scizor are taken out prior. But its main focus is hazard control. Rapid Spin and Stealth Rock are fairly obvious choices, Earthquake is good stab, and Ice Shard is a very nice priority coverage move for flying types that try to switch in on Donphan before it sets up Stealth Rock.

Okay so the next 2 Pokemon on my team are what I like to refer to as the "clean up crew". As the name implys they're used for taking care of my opponents team once my BellyPassed Poke has worn them down, assuming they didn't/couldn't do a full sweep.

Rotom-Wash @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
Modest Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Thunderbolt
- Pain Split
- Signal Beam

First is a bulky Rotom-W, who compliments both MegaZard X and Scizor well. Again this is a fairly standard set, leftovers for recovery, Thunderbolt and Hydro Pump stab, Pain Split to heal, and Signal Beam is...admittedly pretty much just for Celebi, although it does come in handy against bulky Grass or Psychic types.

Togekiss (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Serene Grace
Modest Nature
- Air Slash
- Dazzling Gleam
- Flamethrower
- Thunder Wave

And finally Togekiss, one of the most annoying Pokemon ever for one simple reason: Serene Grace. Thanks to Thunder Wave and Air Slash, Togekiss can stall almost anything to death. Dazzling Gleam is for stab, and Flamethrower makes for great coverage against both Steel and Ice types, and the increased burn chance could always come in handy.

So there you have it! Waddya think? I'm sure it isn't the best Baton Pass/BellyPass team out there, but thats why I'm asking for advice. So please, tweak my team however you think is right, so long as the main idea stays the same. Thank you in advance :D

IMPORTABLE

Smeargle (M) @ Sitrus Berry
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Serious Nature
- Dark Void
- Belly Drum
- Baton Pass
- Super Fang

Charizard (M) @ Charizardite X
Ability: Blaze
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Claw
- Flare Blitz
- Earthquake
- Roost

Scizor (F) @ Life Orb
Ability: Technician
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Bug Bite
- Bullet Punch
- Aerial Ace
- Knock Off

Donphan (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 56 HP / 200 Atk / 252 Def
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Rapid Spin
- Ice Shard
- Earthquake

Rotom-Wash @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
Modest Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Thunderbolt
- Pain Split
- Signal Beam

Togekiss (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Serene Grace
Modest Nature
- Air Slash
- Dazzling Gleam
- Flamethrower
- Thunder Wave

Last edited:
Welcome to Smogon (love the Avatar),
Have you considered how easy it is to outspeed Smeargle and OHKO it, pretty much destroying the strategy. In addition, you should add more description to your sets, especially deviated from 252/252 EVs.

Some Calcs
  • 252+ Atk Conkeldurr Mach Punch vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Smeargle: 338-398 (107.6 - 126.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO
  • 252 Atk Technician Breloom Mach Punch vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Smeargle: 438-516 (139.4 - 164.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO
Just two examples of the frailness of Smeargle, these are Mach Punches and they will definitely OHKO Smeargle before it starts. Therefore I suggest using Zard X straight up with Belly Drum because you can SubWish Pass with Sylveon etc.

EDIT: Therefore I recommend giving Smeargle a Focus Sash just to make sure it can set up Dark Void and therefore run BellyPass

Right this is how it works
  • Sash on Smeargle is 2HKO
  • Put foe to sleep
  • Recover HP, gets u to a least 51%.
  • Use Belly Drum
  • Sleep foes if they wake up.
  • Then baton pass while they are asleep
Smeargle @ Focus Sash
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Impish Nature
- Belly Drum
- Dark Void
- Recover
- Baton Pass

Yo! Nice team. n_n

Don't use Donphan in OU, in my opinion. Try out something like Excadrill.
Why
Excadrill provides intense pressure to more mons in the meta.
Must faster and stronger overall.
Dual stab typing is nice for mons like M Altaria!

Your team gets shut down by Thundurus. Without any speed boost of any kind, Thundurus can T Wave the Charizard and have a mon like Latias / Latios come in and Draco meteor you for a KO. For this, Try Dragon dance > Flare Blitz.
Your fire stab isn't very helpful, tbh. When you have all of that attack, it can just destroy everything!
Skarmory also ruins the team, being able to live any of Zard's attacks via Sturdy and Whirlwind.
So now you'll need a support set for your team:

Thundurus @ Life Orb
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Thunder Wave
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power Ice / Taunt
- Focus Blast / Psychic / Taunt

Absolute power, being able to Thunder wave foes for speed control and taunt opponents who like to set up / use statuses. Focus Blast is also a good option considering that you have nothing super good against Ferrothorn.

Great team, and welcome to Smogon dude! ^_^

I think ill try these ideas out! And thanks for the warm welcomes guys (although tbh, I've been on showdown since like 5th gen I just haven't bothered to do much with the forum till now...but thanks anyway I really appreciate it XD)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)