CAP 11 CAP 11 - Name Submissions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aww he's so cute! What should we name him?

Our CAP so far:
Name: Perfect Mate

General Description: Pick a good-but-not-great OU pokemon, and design the perfect teammate for it, similar to the way Celebi & Heatran, or Blissey & Skarmory complement each other so well on competitive teams.

Justification:
This would allow us to explore in detail how synergy between two pokemon can be achieved, because currently there are only a few perfect teammates in OU. And depending on the base pokemon we choose to give a "perfect mate", we can open a new niche in the metagame based around the efficient pairing.
The niche we create will be inherently tied to an existing pokemon in the metagame, which should provide a natural limitation to prevent this concept from being broken or "too different" from standard OU.

Questions To Be Answered:
  • Is the base pokemon's usefulness (and usage) in the metagame increased as a result of having a "perfect mate"?
  • What strategies are more effective for the base pokemon, as a result of having a perfect teammate?
  • What are the most effective aspects of the new pokemon, for purposes of making a great teammate with the base pokemon?
  • Is the new pokemon viable in the metagame without the base pokemon as a teammate
Typing: Fighting / Dark
Stat Spread: 90 HP / 85 Atk / 80 Def / 105 SpA / 80 SpD / 110 Spe
Abilities: Volt Absorb / Lightningrod

Discuss and or submit names for CAP 11. Rules:

• Names must be submitted as a final submission to be considered in the poll. Make it clear so I know that it is your final submission.
  • You may ask for advice, but bumping of any kind is not allowed. If people don't comment on your name, the silence is your advice. You can revise it and repost it, but please don't ask for help 20943 times in the thread.
  • Keep the name at or under 10 characters. 10 characters is allowed, but the best names are shorter usually. Basic pokemon rules etc.
  • Do not post "Name is cool" or "I like name". Your post will be infracted and deleted. You need some reasoning behind it, such as why it sounds good. We aren't looking for a critical analysis, just a sentence or two.
  • One submission only!

firecape

This is the end...
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Well, Doug's original working name of "Voodoom" seems to it perfectly. Its a Voodoo doll, and its Dark-typing, which the name incorporates. The name doesn't include the Fighting-type aspects of it, but nothing is perfect.

Alchemator

my god if you don't have an iced tea for me when i
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Final Submission

Final Submission :

Needlect

A combination of 'Needle' and 'Neglect'. Also sounds quite small, and sufficiently different to Voodoom!

reachzero

the pastor of disaster
is a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Final Submission: Pinloas

I would like to suggest Pinloas, a portmanteau of "pin" and '"loas". "Pin" is appropriate because as a voodoo doll it has been stuck with pins, and because as a Fighting type, wrestling terminology is also apt. "Loas" are spirits worshipped in voodoo, providing a link to both the theme of the art, and to the Dark-typing.

Final submission: Puppetear

This name can be read equally validly in two different ways. Like Puppeteer or like Puppet-tear. It somewhat reflects the difference between CAP11's dark/fighting typing.

Dark side, Puppeteer. A voodoo doll lets you take some control of someone - in this case the opponent is the puppet!

Fighting side, Puppet-tear. A voodoo doll's somewhat like a puppet and is made for someone else's use - and this one's violent! Hence 'tear'.

As a final unintended third side to the pun, you've got 'tear' in there, for the crying and suffering he'll surely inflict! That happens to be the opposite of what Togekiss, the joy-bringer, does.

Joke entry: GraveJustDug

I think that keeping it with Vodoom is going to be better here. It works perfectly with the image and the typing, and it sounds cool.

franky

aka pimpdaddyfranky, aka frankydelaghetto, aka F, aka ef
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Final Submission

Brawley

Seems fitting, it fishes out the aspect of fighting in the sprite instead of the typical Darkness. Brawl means fight or quarrel pretty much. The extra ey just makes it sound "cute" cause it is a doll or a toy figure pretty much. Seems like Vodoom is the favorite so I thought i'd just submit this anyways! (no not inspired by former user brawley)

If anyone should final-submit Voodoom, it's Doug. Additionally, from what I recall, the phrase "Final Submission" has to be bolded within the post, not in the post title. Please, if Voodoom becomes the name, the one who came up with it should be credited, not TM30 or whoever because they FS'd it first.

I actually like Puppetear. Clever multiple-meaning puns just tickle my fancy, really. I guess I'll post more when I actually come up with a name.

EDIT:
Really rough draft name: Stitchface

I'm starting with a base that sounds good and sort of fits. This is NOT anywhere close to a serious FS yet; it's just a starting base. I want to avoid puns based on the voodoo doll or aspects specific to it (especially the latter) because a corruption of "voodoo doll" (such as Voodoll for Doug's prevo art) seems to be the only way to make that work.

While Voodoom is fitting, I'd like to submit Needoll. Combination of needle and doll. A pun that sounds like needle, if you didn't already figure that out. Its name also focuses on the pins, which are important for the flavour of its abilities.

Dollor - from "dolor" meaning pain, and "doll" meaning doll.

Not final submission yet.

EDIT: I like a good pun, and Needoll fits that bill perfectly as does Puppetear (almost).

bugmaniacbob

Was fun while it lasted
is an Artist Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Let's see... what can I come up with? And how much reasoning do you really need for a name?

Thimblast

(Thimble + Blast) - because it has a thimble in its heart and fires off Aura Spheres (hence, blast), what's not to like?

Umbrute

(Umbra + Brute) - Nice and simple. The dark and fighting references are nice and obvious since this kinda compensates for the lack of references in the actual artwork.

Niglad

(Nigra + Gladius) - Because I'm a pretentious little Latin douche and can't resist at least one of these each time CAP rolls round

DolJustDol

(Doll + DougJustDoug) - Since this is now his CAP this seems fairly appropriate.

Final Submission: Pinanimus - From the words 'Pin' and 'animus', which is a feelling of hatred or ill will. 'Pin' because its a voodoo doll and its full of pins and 'animus' as its a negative feeling and this shows its dark typing.

I would like to suggest Pinloas, a portmanteau of "pin" and '"loas". "Pin" is appropriate because as a voodoo doll it has been stuck with pins, and because as a Fighting type, wrestling terminology is also apt. "Loas" are spirits worshipped in voodoo, providing a link to both the theme of the art, and to the Dark-typing.
That's a fairly interesting suggestion you made. Is the pronunciation of the name "pin-loss" or am I pronouncing the "laos" part wrong?

Ice-eyes

Simper Fi
I like Voodoll and Puppetear. Pinanimus is interesting because it also gives a sense of the animation of this living voodoo doll.

I may have a sudden flash of inspiration at some point but I'm short on ideas.

I'd like my submission to be Necrovenge. Basically, it's a combination of "necromancy," or black magic, and "revenge," for wanting to dish out the damage dealt to him over time.

Pronounced (Neck-row-venge), not (Neck-revenge).

If enough people like the name I'll submit it as my final. :3

DougJustDoug

Knows the great enthusiasms
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Artistis a Programmeris a Forum Moderatoris a Top CAP Contributoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Yeah, I will make it official and submit the working name for my design.

Final Submission

Voodoom

Hooray for Doug! Now I can support that name.

I support Voodoom 100%. It just seems like a perfect fit for this Pokemon and I doubt I will like any other submissions as much as Voodoom. I don't know what else to say, it's just a perfect name.

toshimelonhead

Honey Badger don't care.
is a Tiering Contributor
Yeah, Voodoom beats everything anyone could possibly think of. It's just that good.
QFT (That's Quoted for Truth)

People have already started calling it Voodoom even in the art thread. It sounds, dare I say, catchy.

Final Submission

I'd like my submission to be Necrovenge. Basically, it's a combination of "necromancy," or black magic, and "revenge," for wanting to dish out the damage dealt to him over time.

Pronounced (Neck-row-venge), not (Neck-revenge).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)