CAP 11 CAP 11 - Part 9 - Art Poll 2

What art should be used for CAP 11?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
DougJustDoug is the winning choice in my opinion. In my vote, I considered which pokemon had the greatest detail. While I really liked the style of Buffalo_wings and Wyverii, they lacked charming little things that really pulls Doug's design together. I especially appreciate the broken button, the un-matching stitching in the eyes, the strategically placed pins (though I would have totally put one in the crotch) and the seemingly arbitrary number of ticks along the edges of the heart and the other seams really made the doll feel like it was only patched up as needed, and given minimal care. The dual typing is conveyed extraordinarily well with the color schemes, the lighter color holding a large fist on the left and the darker color seemingly melting into itself, which also combines the physical and special aspects of the pokemon's stat spread exceptionally well.

Voted for Yilx due to it's overall body design and embodiment of Dark and Fighting. DJD was my second choice though I wanted to say this, while my reason I see Doug's submission as part dark for the obvious, how I see it as a fighting type is different. Despite it's back-story I keep seeing it as one of those huge punching bags you see in gyms. That's not a bad thing though as when I think of punching bag I think of boxing which then leads me to think of fighting. The fact it's looks like a punching bag make it a Fighting type by virtue of being associated with some kind of fighting practice. Pretty nifty if you ask me.

DougJustDoug, for the interesting backstory and overall great design. Also, the name "Voodoom" just screams awesome!

I voted for darkmattr. It has the ambiguous look that it could be either special or physical based. Also, it has the crucial speedy aesthetic to it, something that most of the other entries overlooked in order to work around the Fighting/Dark type and Volt Absorb/Lightningrod; this was something that darkmattr was successful in everything for.

DetroitLolcat

Maize and Blue Badge Set 2014-2017
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
Why can we only vote for one submission??? Fuzznip, you are so cruel! I'm so torn between aragornbird's and Kukem's, but I ended up voting aragornbird becasue his just looks the best. Looks like it's stat spread, somewhat dark/fighting, etc.

Buffalo_Wings is a close runner-up. The dark sage is a good choice. I don't see why everyone is so smitten with DougJustDoug's though, it's a little creepy... (either way, CAP11 is going to look GREAT!)

Ugh, this one was tough for me.........

I voted for Kukem's, despite being torn between that one, Yilx's, & aragornbird's Aztec Panther of Awesome. Kukem's just conveys the abilities & Special Bias slightly better than the other 2.

Just what is a 'loris', anyway?

Man, there are so many great art designs! Almost all of them fit the stats perfectly IMO. It's really hard choosing one, but I had to go with Yilx for three reasons:
1) It's a perfect representation of Fighting & Dark. It looks like a Fighting/Dark type, without going over the top.

2) Great backstory and supporting material. I love the idea of a pokemon with a heart of gold, but is shunned because it looks scary. Also, those action sketches are freakin' fantastic!

3) It's adorable!? No..... it's charming? No, it's.... uh...... graceful? There is something magical about this design, and it draws me towards it.

As much as I like Yilx's design, there were other amazing designs that I almost picked.
Honorable Mentions:
Wyverii: Your design is just plain great. Great concept, great design, great color scheme, great backstory, it's just great.

Kukem: Much like Yilx, your design perfectly captures the feel of Fighting/Dark without going overboard. Plus it has a unique, yet perfect color scheme!

darkmattr: Another stellar design, that captures the very spirit of Fighting/Dark. Plus it has an awesome backstory!

Buffalo_Wings: It's a perfect concept for a Fighting/Dark type, and it's beautifully simple in design.

DougJustDoug: I would make a comment on how cleaver Voodoom's backstory is, but I don't have too. It's a well known fact that Doug's CAP designs always have creative and cool backstories. Actually, the art design's concept itself is creative and cool.

aragornbird: It's a really good concept for a Fighting/Dark, but what makes it wonderful is the execution. The Aztec Panther has style, power, and grace all rolled up into one kick-butt art design.

Yilx's is my favorite for its simplicity. A few other designs are similarly simple, but Yilx also makes the entry look the most type appropriate.

Sorry, Doug, but your entry is really too busy.

And what's with people voting for its Battle Capacity use? That shouldn't come into it at all! It's a Pokemon first, not a Altered Beast.

I wanted to vote for Yilx's, but it looked too much like something that isn't a Pokemon...
So, my vote went to Kukem. Yes, it has the same body style as Lucario, but is that not exactly why he has the mixed stats + speed? I totally agree with this design, unfortunately it looks like too many people are infatuated with Doug's :( It's really cool, and the first time I saw it I was like WOAH! But now I believe that it looks more like a physical tank than a mixed cannon...It just looks too bulky and slow for the stats it has been given IMO. Plus, Kukem's design incorporates the best from both Lucario and Zoroark! Which makes him the perfect candidate for a Fight/Dark CAP.
:):)

EDIT::
Just thought of some more points:
1. Kukem's design has the most relevance to Togekiss, and that's the most important thing. It literally looks like the darker version of Togekiss...like when evil Buu came out of Majin Buu! lol
2. The gems on its hands scream special attacker, as well as guiding electricity into itself to harness its power.
3. It looks like it would prefer to use the power of its gems, but would be able to use his bare hands if things got too close.

My penny's worth ;P

SJCrew

Believer, going on a journey...
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
@ donkey puncher: For some odd reason, there's a rule against any and everything that uses the word "look" and "Pokemon" within three words of each other, so you might want to edit that part of your post out.

I voted Kukem, not only is it awesome and original, but shows the typing well AND suits the Stat spread. I also like Doug's idea, (the needle works well with volt absorb) but didnt seem to me like it would be as fast as the chosen stat spread allows.

Buffalo_Wings

His design is the best because:
1. It encompasses both fighting and dark beautifully
2. It looks like it can work well with the specially oriented stat distribution, while also (from supporting material) looks like it can attack on the physical side when necessary
3. It actually LOOKS like a Pokemon, where all the other ones don't come close.

I cannot express how much I love to just stare and admire DougJustDoug's art. It is just so uplifting a dark to watch and think about relating to its type

Buffalo_Wings

- It looks like a pokemon the most to me.
- The design and concept are very cool. Like an old Kung-fu master, who through years of experience and meditation, developed the special attacking skills (like the qi, or inner energy, - very important in chinese martial arts). Due to its small size, it can be very quick (i.e. Yoda like). The colour scheme completes the dark typing very well.

In short, this design fulfills the typing and stats of the CAP the most.

DougJustDoug's one looks really awkward to me, quite un-pokemon. And i struggle to associate it with the primary fighting typing.

People are using how an art would look in Battle CAPacity as a selling point?

Seriously?

Because Cartoons is too inept to implement any design but Doug's?

Give me a break guys. I'm not sure if it's a bigger insult to Doug or Cartoons!.
If Cartoons can implement Kitsunoh, Cyclohm, and Collosoil into Battle CAPacity and make them function convincingly in a fighter, I'm convinced that he could do it with any design whatsoever. If Battle CAPacity is supposed to be something we consider when voting for art, I say we take what looks like the most difficult thing to implement, so we can be impressed when Cartoons pulls it off.

Aragornbird needs a significant amount of love. Doug's design is definitely impressive and original, so not hate for it, but A-bird's is just a perfect combination of concept and pokemon. too often the CAP pokes seem just a bit off from real pokemon (syclant, fidgit [though i LOVE him], collosoil all spring to mind immediately), whereas the fighting special jaguar i can easily see alongside many existing pokemon. that being said, tons of great designs, first time i wouldn't mind any winner.

DougJustDoug

It's the most unique and out of the box in my opinion and working notions on how Volt Absorb or Lightningrod would work. Also, needle wand of voodoo death.

Oglemi

Borf
is a Forum Moderatoris a Top Contributoris a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnus
Voted for Kukem's.

Not only is the color scheme and body build perfect for a quick dark/fighting type, the pose is magnificent in itself and his design conveys the image of a ninja perfectly without going overboard.

aragornbird has the design which appeals to me above the others.
I wouldn't mind if DougJustDoug won it though.

darkmatrr is definitely the best design to represent CAP 11 imo. Not only is it very creative and detailed, but it also fits the typing (Dark / Fighting), the abilities (Volt Absorb / Lightingrod) the most as well as the stat spread since it looks really fast.

I voted for darkmattr’s design because I feel it best represents the criteria set out for CAP11. The design fits not only the dark/fighting type perfectly but also the stat spread, while managing to keep the pokemon from looking too simple or over-done. Also, the supporting art provides an interesting insight as to how the design would utilise the chosen abilities, and provides an appealing background story that explains the design’s origins.

Although there are many beautiful designs here to choose from, the hard-work and creativity that caught my eye made this an easy decision for me to make.

Good luck everyone!

@ donkey puncher: For some odd reason, there's a rule against any and everything that uses the word "look" and "Pokemon" within three words of each other, so you might want to edit that part of your post out.
It's not "for some odd reason" lol. Every time an argument about a design not looking "like a Pokémon" comes up, it never brings anything productive to the table. Plus, it's an ill-conceived and empty insult to the artist. The other problem is the existing Pokémon. At this point, one could argue that many of this generation's Pokémon don't look like Pokémon! Nonetheless, discussion usually doesn't catch fire in poll threads, because nobody reads them.

People are using how an art would look in Battle CAPacity as a selling point?

Seriously?

Because Cartoons is too inept to implement any design but Doug's?

Give me a break guys. I'm not sure if it's a bigger insult to Doug or Cartoons!.
I didn't say it would be easier, or something. Just that I would like to see it. Cartoons! could implement Dusparce and make it a fun playable character. This is just another level of my love for DougJustDoug's design.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)