Pokémon Diancie

Status
Not open for further replies.
I haven't read through all 25 pages of this thread... but how does Protect compare to other moves in the fourth slot for M-Diancie? I've been using it because I figured it was generally useful to guarantee that you can Mega Evolve safely, but I'm wondering if there are any other "obviously better" moves in that moveslot?
I've used Protect, Substitute, Hidden Power Fire, Calm Mind, and Rock Polish in that last set, but I think RP is the best one. Patches up that bad speed and stuff.

I haven't read through all 25 pages of this thread... but how does Protect compare to other moves in the fourth slot for M-Diancie? I've been using it because I figured it was generally useful to guarantee that you can Mega Evolve safely, but I'm wondering if there are any other "obviously better" moves in that moveslot?
Protect is definitely great with D-Storm, Moonblast and Earth Power. It's just that Diancie has moves that tailor to her and her team's needs. Hidden Power Fire is there for Ferro and Scizor, Stealth Rock is there if you don't have a Rocks setter, Calm Mind and Rock Polish are there if you need a sweeper. Protect is very viable and is one of the best options for leads other than Stealth Rock or HP Fire if you're baiting Ferro.

Protect is definitely great with D-Storm, Moonblast and Earth Power. It's just that Diancie has moves that tailor to her and her team's needs. Hidden Power Fire is there for Ferro and Scizor, Stealth Rock is there if you don't have a Rocks setter, Calm Mind and Rock Polish are there if you need a sweeper. Protect is very viable and is one of the best options for leads other than Stealth Rock or HP Fire if you're baiting Ferro.
Just note with protect it definitely requires good prediction on your end, it requires more skill in using Diancie alongside her team mates, as you'll be regularly baiting Steel/Ground type attacks so your team should be comprised to work around this tandem. The best team mate I've seen used alongside Protect Diancie is Ferrothorn whose Iron Barbs alongside hazard damage rack up a lot of damage to mons like Scizor. Another good partner as I've said earlier is Rotom-W and Talonflame to handle those EQs and regain momentum in one fell swoop, usually from Lando-T but Mold Breaker Excadrill is also something to watch out for.

Generally I'd say protect Diancie works best alongside a Volt-turn team as you'll be able to scout or create double switch scenarios often and these sort of teams are best at capitalizing on this.

Diancie (mixed sweeper)
Item: Diancite
Ability: Clear Body/Magic Bounce
EVs: 252ATK 224SP.ATK 32SPE
Nature: Lonely
Moves:
Diamond Storm
Moonblast
Hidden Power Fire/Earth Power
Rock Polish

As you may have seen, this set is a Rock Polish sweeper set. The 32 Speed EVs is to allow Mega Diancie to out speed base 110 Speed Choice Scarf users, with a max Attack investment and a large Special Attack investment. Diamond Storm is Diancie’s physical Rock type STAB move, which has the same power as Stone Edge but more accuracy, and can raise Defense which will help make up for the lowered Defense stat from Diancie’s Lonely Nature. Moonblast is Diancie’s special Fairy type STAB move, and can lower the opponent’s Special Attack. Hidden Power Fire is to hit Scizor and Ferrothorn, but now Earth Power is another viable move thanks to ORAS Move Tutors, and actually lets Diancie finally hit Heatran hard. Last is Rock Polish, which as said allows Mega Diancie to out speed 110 base Speed Choice Scarf users, and thus Mega Diancie can sweep from there.

Mega Diancie is in my opinion, the exact opposite of regular old Diancie. Mega Diancie had it’s defenses lowered and it’s offensive stats skyrocketed as a result. With such a massive boost to it’s Attack, Special Attack and Speed, Mega Diancie is (also) in my opinion the best mixed attacker in the game. To make Diancie even more dangerous it also gains the ability Magic Bounce, which essentially makes it immune to Thunder Wave, Will-o-Wisp, and other pesky status moves. Mega Diancie still has some things to watch out for, mainly Steel types like Scizor, Heatran and Ferrothorn, and Mega Diancie does suffer from “first turn lag.” However, Mega Diancie can work around this easily and become one of the most dangerous Pokemon in the higher tiers.

How did you like this set? Let me know!

Not the common speedy nature diance, but i think it works

I would like to say that mega diancie pairs really well with sun teams because they help each other because diancie appreciates that sun teams give the middle finger to Ferro and scisor and sun sweeper like that diancie walls talonflame and heatran lacking flash cannon. And it likes that water attacks are reduced by 50%.

Karxrida

Death to the Undying Savage
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
I would like to say that mega diancie pairs really well with sun teams because they help each other because diancie appreciates that sun teams give the middle finger to Ferro and scisor and sun sweeper like that diancie walls talonflame and heatran lacking flash cannon. And it likes that water attacks are reduced by 50%.
Sun teams don't exist in OU.

Sun teams don't exist in OU.
I have seen weird things like Houndoom in a despair attempt to have some sort of offensive presence checking MSableye, but not a single nod to sun induces bar extremely weird chard Y, and their teams where built around gothiTurn without the usage of sun abusers.

Making pretty much sun nonexistent on OU on tandem with Mega Diancie. I mean there was one Gravity meowstic with Sunny day, but it was an isolated case.

Karxrida

Death to the Undying Savage
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
I have seen weird things like Houndoom in a despair attempt to have some sort of offensive presence checking MSableye, but not a single nod to sun induces bar extremely weird chard Y, and their teams where built around gothiTurn without the usage of sun abusers.

Making pretty much sun nonexistent on OU on tandem with Mega Diancie. I mean there was one Gravity meowstic with Sunny day, but it was an isolated case.
If you don't have Sun Abusers you don't have a Sun team, just like having a Tyranitar doesn't automatically make your team a Sand Team unless you have Excadrill.

Also kantotrainer90, never run a -Defense nature on Mega Diancie since Banded Talonflame now has a stupidly high chance to 2HKO, SD does 72% minimum with +2 Brave Bird, and Banded Azumarill's Aqua Jet becomes a guaranteed OHKO.

252+ Atk Choice Band Talonflame Brave Bird vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Mega Diancie: 108-128 (44.8 - 53.1%) -- 28.9% chance to 2HKO
252+ Atk Choice Band Talonflame Brave Bird vs. 0 HP / 0- Def Mega Diancie: 120-142 (49.7 - 58.9%) -- 99.6% chance to 2HKO

+2 252 Atk Sharp Beak Talonflame Brave Bird vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Mega Diancie: 157-186 (65.1 - 77.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
+2 252 Atk Sharp Beak Talonflame Brave Bird vs. 0 HP / 0- Def Mega Diancie: 175-207 (72.6 - 85.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252+ Atk Choice Band Huge Power Azumarill Aqua Jet vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Mega Diancie: 218-260 (90.4 - 107.8%) -- 43.8% chance to OHKO
252+ Atk Choice Band Huge Power Azumarill Aqua Jet vs. 0 HP / 0- Def Mega Diancie: 246-290 (102 - 120.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Sun was already a very difficult weather to work around even last gen, and with the nerf to weather its only become more difficult to use. Adding to that Ninetails is still deadweight and when there is a sun team they usually would rather use Char-Y who has a much better offensive presence than Ninetails. There are a few sun teams but they revolve around Char-Y which is why a Mega Diancie in a sun team is highly unlikely, unless you choose to compromise and use Ninetails but... yeah it isn't as optimal as a Char-Y + Venusaur team.

If you don't have Sun Abusers you don't have a Sun team, just like having a Tyranitar doesn't automatically make your team a Sand Team unless you have Excadrill.

Also kantotrainer90, never run a -Defense nature on Mega Diancie since Banded Talonflame now has a stupidly high chance to 2HKO, SD does 72% minimum with +2 Brave Bird, and Banded Azumarill's Aqua Jet becomes a guaranteed OHKO.

252+ Atk Choice Band Talonflame Brave Bird vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Mega Diancie: 108-128 (44.8 - 53.1%) -- 28.9% chance to 2HKO
252+ Atk Choice Band Talonflame Brave Bird vs. 0 HP / 0- Def Mega Diancie: 120-142 (49.7 - 58.9%) -- 99.6% chance to 2HKO

+2 252 Atk Sharp Beak Talonflame Brave Bird vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Mega Diancie: 157-186 (65.1 - 77.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
+2 252 Atk Sharp Beak Talonflame Brave Bird vs. 0 HP / 0- Def Mega Diancie: 175-207 (72.6 - 85.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252+ Atk Choice Band Huge Power Azumarill Aqua Jet vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Mega Diancie: 218-260 (90.4 - 107.8%) -- 43.8% chance to OHKO
252+ Atk Choice Band Huge Power Azumarill Aqua Jet vs. 0 HP / 0- Def Mega Diancie: 246-290 (102 - 120.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO
but if the team doesn't have azumarill or talon flame i should be fine then. also what about this:

Diance @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Clear Body
-Rock Polish
-Moon Blast / substitute
-Earth Power / Stealth Rock
-Diamond Storm

I could use subsitute to come in and use stealth rock. Then have rock polish and use diamond storm if i need to attack.

Last edited:
but if the team doesn't have azumarill or talon flame i should be fine then. also what about this:

Diance @ Choice Scarf
-Rock Polish
-Moon Blast / substitute
-Diamond Storm

I could use subsitute to come in and use stealth rock. Then have rock polish and use diamond storm if i need to attack.
Choice scarf would lock you into substitute though...

I have seen weird things like Houndoom in a despair attempt to have some sort of offensive presence checking MSableye,
I wouldn't classify Mega Houndoom as "weird" or a "despair attempt". Mega Houndoom is really good in OU, and not just because of Sableye.

I really like the rock polish set posted earlier, though I have to agree that running a -def nature is not the way to go. You gotta run -spdef nature since you're not taking scalds and such anyways.

I wouldn't classify Mega Houndoom as "weird" or a "despair attempt". Mega Houndoom is really good in OU, and not just because of Sableye.

I really like the rock polish set posted earlier, though I have to agree that running a -def nature is not the way to go. You gotta run -spdef nature since you're not taking scalds and such anyways.
It wasn't mega Houndoom, it was lo regular Houndoom.

Choice scarf would lock you into substitute though...
so no subsitute then.

Diance @ Choice Scarf
-Rock Polish
-Moon Blast / substitute
-Diamond Storm

Why would you use Scarf Diancie when the Mega reaches higher speed and has better offense?

I've found it's better to leave Diancie's attack un-invested. It's still coming off a neutral 160 base stat. If something was going to die from it before, it's probably going to die from it now. It's better to go *HP/252+ Sp.A/*Spd, with * representing how much you want to invest. -S.Def is optimal. Hydro pump and Leaf Storm leave you just as dead as the would with a -Def nature.

I've found it's better to leave Diancie's attack un-invested. It's still coming off a neutral 160 base stat. If something was going to die from it before, it's probably going to die from it now. It's better to go *HP/252+ Sp.A/*Spd, with * representing how much you want to invest. -S.Def is optimal. Hydro pump and Leaf Storm leave you just as dead as the would with a -Def nature.
The common sets only have 16 EVs in Attack. I'm not sure what relevant KOs that gets but just to say that in general Diancie runs next to no attack anyway.

The common sets only have 16 EVs in Attack. I'm not sure what relevant KOs that gets but just to say that in general Diancie runs next to no attack anyway.
Standard defensive defog Zapdos after SR damage is guaranteed to be KOed, but those aiming for a mixed set tend to run a bit more attack investment to surprise certain bench marks but 16 is the minimum. There is no need to worry about the loss of SpA as doing calcs you're not missing out on anything by allocating 16 EVs elsewhere.

Speed isn't negotiable you'll want to invest in it for the ability to speed tie with 110s as well as being able to naturally be able to outspeed 108s, Keldeo. The amount of HP investment, which BTW is 16 EVs, you could have by just out speeding positive base 108 does not net you anything very relevant for survival so to speak, especially with the checks that come in on Diancie.

Even those who run rock polish sets would rather maintain their speed than allocate it towards "bulk" since it becomes more limiting to have Diancie be reliant on RP to outspeed key threats that she normally would have been able to outspeed in the first place.

Last edited:
I've had a bit of fun running Mega Diancie with a NastyPass Celebi since they share no weaknesses and cover each other quite well except for Steel and Ice attacks. If you can get out Celebi vs something it counters like Rotom-W, Keldeo, etc. the enemy will likely switch to something that can counter Celebi like Heatran at which point you pass the boost to Diancie. If you know the Heatran or whatever can't threaten you then you can Rock Polish and sweep. Except Diancie sucks defensively and is so easily revenge killed by priority moves. It dies to pretty much any Bullet Punch, takes up to 73% from AV Azumarill, 53% from CB Talonflame, and even 37% from a resisted Bisharp Sucker Punch. Sadly Diancie is no Mega Metagross.

Note: By Diancie, I am simply referring to its Mega forme.

Diancie is a high-risk, high reward kind of pokemon. It dies very easily but if you play it right, it can really mess with the opponent quite badly, partly because of magic bounce as well.

Diancie should just run max speed and sp. attack, and let its base attack cover the physical side of things aka Diamond Storm. Diancie is also a very poor choice for rock polish because it simply does not have the kind of staying power to sweep. It gets revenge-killed by all sorts of priority attacks - even those it supposedly resists such as brave bird and any bulky waters with decent special bulk destroys it with one scald/surf/hydro pump (think Rotom-W, Tentacruel, Milotic, etc).

As such, Diancie should be used to punch holes instead and not to sweep. That's what it is good at. And there's just no point wasting a slot with stealth rock because it is so easy to come in on a predicted setting up of entry hazards and reflect them away. For a puncher like Diancie, either go full on coverage, or use protect to allow it to mega evolve safely from the get-go (this makes it a lot more useful as well right from the beginning), and act as a mirror to reflect back nasty status moves and hazards.

After having used diancie for quite some time, I've realised it is a pokemon that requires pretty good prediction to pull off. If you get out-predicted then you lose a mega from the start which can be demoralising. As an offensive fairy, I think its coverage pales against that of Mega Gardevoir but its ability and much better speed stat makes up for it somewhat in my opinion, making it the prime offensive fairy for me.

Honestly, if you're planning to set up a rock polish without killing the obvious OHKO priority, you deserve to have it forced out or killed. You don't sent out Char-X in the sand when they have Excadrill and/or Hippo alive, do you? Protect is pretty sub-optimal after the first turn. It's much easier to take advantage of than RP. I will say it's more useful than Calm Mind though. No recovery with Calm Mind is stupid and shouldn't be considered.

Honestly, if you're planning to set up a rock polish without killing the obvious OHKO priority, you deserve to have it forced out or killed. You don't sent out Char-X in the sand when they have Excadrill and/or Hippo alive, do you? Protect is pretty sub-optimal after the first turn. It's much easier to take advantage of than RP. I will say it's more useful than Calm Mind though. No recovery with Calm Mind is stupid and shouldn't be considered.
Keldeo gets away with no recovery CM, but Diancie typing is a letdown in every way.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)