Pokémon Diancie

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mega Diancie has the same issue Mega Banette has: the mega evolution turn.
Think about it: during that turn, you have a pokemon with uninvested 50/110/110 bulk, questionable defensive typing and (invested, but barely matters) base 50 speed. How exactly are you going to take advantage of that? Sure Magic Bounce discourages the opponent from using status moves, but most slow and defensive pokemon in OU carry moves like Scald or Moonblast (M-Diancie does NOT like the 30% chance of lowered Sp.Atk). Diancie needs team support in the form of Volt Switch or U-Turn to come in safely, scare something out (like Mega Sableye) and mega evolve. Compared to more self-sufficient megas such as Metagross she's slightly worse. If the turn order mechanics were different, she would probably be an easy S-rank, if not a suspect candidate.

Mega Diancie has the same issue Mega Banette has: the mega evolution turn.
Think about it: during that turn, you have a pokemon with uninvested 50/110/110 bulk, questionable defensive typing and (invested, but barely matters) base 50 speed. How exactly are you going to take advantage of that? Sure Magic Bounce discourages the opponent from using status moves, but most slow and defensive pokemon in OU carry moves like Scald or Moonblast (M-Diancie does NOT like the 30% chance of lowered Sp.Atk). Diancie needs team support in the form of Volt Switch or U-Turn to come in safely, scare something out (like Mega Sableye) and mega evolve. Compared to more self-sufficient megas such as Metagross she's slightly worse. If the turn order mechanics were different, she would probably be an easy S-rank, if not a suspect candidate.
There are benefits to the stat changes however. Once you have Diancie out you can Rock Polish without Mega Evolving if you know you can outspeed the opposing Pokemon at +2 even with 50 base speed so you can take advantage of the greater bulk. With Calm Mind you can do the same thing if you know the opposing Pokemon slower than you.

Also now that Greninja is gone for good it helps Diancie but now we have a certain green snake to worry about. I can just imagine the glee of Metagross.

I've been finding that Hidden Power Fire isn't really worth it… even for Ferrothorn. Missing out on base 110 speed with Gallade, Latios, and even Bullet-Punchless Mega Metagross can be disastrous. Toxic or even Substitute can be nice for Rotom-W switch ins and the like, though they do feel like filler compared to the other move selections.

Honestly I've never felt like HP Fire is that great of an option when one of the two Pokémon you really run it for priority kills you anyway. I almost always opt for Moonblast, Diamond Storm, Earth Power and Rock Polish/Protect/Calm Mind

Okay, people, I need to mention something.

I managed to get Diancie during the event. The thing is...it's embarrassing, but I haven't picked up the Mystery Gift, simply because I know from experience that I'd probably have to spend a whole day doing it with soft resets to get it with a good Nature and IVs. Especially with the cutscene afterwards.

The Nature part is what really is holding me back. Does anyone have any tips that I could use to improve the odds of getting one that I want?

Okay, people, I need to mention something.

I managed to get Diancie during the event. The thing is...it's embarrassing, but I haven't picked up the Mystery Gift, simply because I know from experience that I'd probably have to spend a whole day doing it with soft resets to get it with a good Nature and IVs. Especially with the cutscene afterwards.

The Nature part is what really is holding me back. Does anyone have any tips that I could use to improve the odds of getting one that I want?
No, it's completely random. Synchronizers won't work.
This is the sort of question that'd go in Orange Island or Wi-Fi regardless.

I'd like to revive this thread, if it's...okay. With the suspect testing of Mega Metagross, I have a question for you fellow Diancie users: do you feel that without Mega Metagross, Diancie is broken? People on the suspect thread have been whining about this subject, and I felt that this is a much more appropriate place to discuss the matter.

As far as my thinking goes, I never saw Diancie as a top-tier mon, but she isn't broken, in my opinion. If you're playing the suspect ladder and need help with defeating the now-rampant princess of diamonds, allow me to help. Because there's a lot of stuff that I'll compile into a relatively short list. Here we go.

- Super-effective coverage.
This is a no-brainer, but Diancie is weak to a lot, and I mean a lot of common types. You don't need to use just steel-types to stop her! She's also weak to water, ground, and grass-type moves, and even though the latter isn't as common, it's still a fine choice for checking her. She may have good defenses, but she almost always runs a -Def or - Sdef nature, which really brings out one of her biggest flaws - base 50 HP. That alone offsets those defenses that, alone, would be considered great. Many things check Diancie. These include, but are not limited to: Scarf Keldeo (OHKOs with Scald / Hydro Pump), Offensive DD Mega Altaria at +1 (this is a bit shaky, but if Altaria can gather a boost, she can OHKO with Earthquake. Unboosted, it does anywhere from 70% to 90%, so Diancie would just need a little bit of prior damage), Azumarill's Aqua Jet (with Avest, it does up to 73%. With CB, it does anywhere from 90% to a OHKO. You've got a 43% chance to kill her in one hit, LIVE a Moonblast, and do it again), SpD Gliscor (it needs 96 EVs in Attack to OHKO with Earthquake after SR. Otherwise it has a 43% chance to do so uninvested after SR), Heatran (use Scarf or Air Balloon, and run either Flash Cannon or Earth Power. That's a really reliable check right there...just don't switch into an Earth Power while using Scarf!), Landorus-I and Landorus-T (especially Scarf Landorus-T) can OHKO her with their respective ground-type moves, Mega Lopunny's HJK has a 75% to OHKO after SR...you get the point. Alongside them, you can use Steel Wing Talonflame, Celebi, Scarf or Sand Rush Excadrill, Ferrothorn with Gyro Ball, Scarf Garchomp, Mega Manectric to pivot out while doing a lot of damage, Mega Venusaur who is a full counter to her aside from rare Psyshock variants, Mega Scizor, Hippowdon to an extent, SpD Jirachi, Scarf Magnezone, Sash Mamoswine, Offensive Rapid Spin Starmie, Chansey can wall it for a bit, Aqua Tail Mega Aero, Amoonguss with Giga Drain, Sash Breloom, Dragonite with EQ at full health, Mega Sceptile, Scarf Earth Power Kyurem-B, Scarf Terrakion, Mega Swampert in rain, Crawdaunt's LO Aqua Jet (guaranteed one-shot after SR), Suicune who is a pretty dang good counter, Alomomola's Scald which deals up to 43% off of UNINVESTED BASE 40 SPA, Serperior, Tangrowth avest who is a full counter...I can go on and on. Look at this list. Look at the length of it. Most of these aren't situational things that you can't slap onto any team. Scarf Keldeo, Mega Altaria, and CB Azu are top-tier threats capable of wrecking her.

- Mold Breaker.
I didn't mention Mega Gyarados for a reason. Mold Breaker negates Magic Bounce and allows Gyarados to let loose on Diancie. At +1 speed it can reliably check her from full health, dealing obscene damage with its Waterfall attack - which has a 75% chance of OHKOing her after SR...at -1. At +0 it OHKOs no matter what.

It's a situational check, but if you have the right support you may be able to make it work. At +nothing Mega Gyara is outspeed and killed.

- Stealth Rock, Spikes, and Entry Hazards
Diancie has no form of recovery whatsoever bar her teammates. This means that repeated switch-ins will begin to chip away at her base 50 HP, which, being so low, is very important she retains. For something like Mega Metagross, who actually resists SR, and has actually decent HP, it's not as big a deal, but for Diancie, it is.

- Secondary effects
Magic Bounce does not negate secondary effects of attacks. She can still be frozen by Ice Punch, burned by Lava Plume, etc, right through her Magic Bounce ability. Though that does not usually happen it is noteworthy because being burned means that anything with decent SpD can wall her.

So that's that. My fingers even sorta hurt after typing all that, but hopefully I provided you guys with some insight. I always thought the day of Diancie's suspect would come, and it seems like now it's getting closer and closer.

tl;dr: diancie really isn't broken

Last edited:
Diancie is strong, that's a given but even in a magnezone+firetype core she still fares with several issues most named Scarfers unless you are using rp... And it comes with its own team building process.

If anything this is just new toy syndrome as some folks just stapled megagross and magnezone and called it a day on the lower ladder.

For once we have to keep testing the ladder before jumping to ban accusation, if anything I had a field trip on fairy spam teams while laddering as they had too many issues to count.

Back on trail as discussing what's soon to be banned is ridiculous, lets go back to Diancie traits I'm really enjoying protect +3 attacks, as everyone and their mother expects rp sets.

bludz

a waffle is like a pancake with a syrup trap
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Yeah, Protect is probably the best 4th moveslot for the utility of being able to mindgame Lopunny and hazard setters as well as general scouting for Scarfers and the ability to mega evolve freely. I actually like trying not to use it to mega evolve sometimes so it catches people off guard later on.

It's not talked about much, but Calm Mind can really wreck balance teams. A couple times I've all but lost and got up a CM or two against something passive like Clefable and just swept. It's not very useful against offense though and is worse than either Protect or Rock Polish in general.

I concur. I thought that a boosting move was originally superior to Protect, but Machi ended up convincing me that it actually wasn't and I've been using it to great success. Really eases prediction on the Diancie user while not sacrificing coverage.

Protect + 3 attacks is definitely the best set for Diancie. It does not have the bulk to stat boost without getting revenge killed later so just shed the idea of any form of stat boost, unless you're so certain that you'll be able to get rid of those things with priority (scizor, azumarill etc).

To me, mega diancie is mainly there to punch holes in the opponent's team and sweep if the opponent has been sufficiently weakened. The only part that irks me about it is how it dies to almost any hit out there which really limits its usefulness at times. Losing a mega within the first few rounds of the game kinda sucks :/ given its inherent weaknesses, I highly doubt it would be suspect worthy. Strong it might be, but not quite broken at all. Besides, since when had mega metagross been its main check anyway? Mega scizor/regular scizor defeats it any other day and scizor had been ou for the longest time, way before metagross got its mega forme.

Protect + 3 attacks is definitely the best set for Diancie. It does not have the bulk to stat boost without getting revenge killed later so just shed the idea of any form of stat boost, unless you're so certain that you'll be able to get rid of those things with priority (scizor, azumarill etc).

To me, mega diancie is mainly there to punch holes in the opponent's team and sweep if the opponent has been sufficiently weakened. The only part that irks me about it is how it dies to almost any hit out there which really limits its usefulness at times. Losing a mega within the first few rounds of the game kinda sucks :/ given its inherent weaknesses, I highly doubt it would be suspect worthy. Strong it might be, but not quite broken at all. Besides, since when had mega metagross been its main check anyway? Mega scizor/regular scizor defeats it any other day and scizor had been ou for the longest time, way before metagross got its mega forme.
I think it is just that people weren't used to dealing with MDiancie it is as simple as that, and was using MGross as a blanket check to all fairies (he may not be the best answer but he is the lazy man's answer much like people rely on trapping to blanket answer threats).

As for broken well... It is about as broken as MGarde. Both are powerful and can punch holes to respective playstyles, Defensive (MGarde) and Offensive (MDiancie), but can be played around and checked well enough - thanks to their defenses.

Boosting sets suffers from the same issue many boosters in the meta have, namely that it is difficult to boost up as the meta isn't very conducive for such tactics. There is more demand for immediate power off the bat. It does wonders when you manage to make it work, which I have only really seen with support from Celebi, but otherwise it tends to fall flat on its face often.

Hey guys, so Repeater1947 asked me permission to do a revamp thread for Diancie and I gave it to him because the OP is outdated as all hell and Diancie is now a very OU relevant Pokemon, (plus this thread is super dead,) so assuming he gets permission from a mod this thread can be closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)