Dubz Community Create-A-Team (CCAT) v1.0 - Submit Revisions!

Since the core BlankZero posted is essentially the same one I use (very new to doubles and really have only played VGC), I will vote for Nollan's. I remember facing a Skill Swap Cresselia that was extremely annoying, but I don't remember if the player had a Heatran... anyway, from that experience I can see the potential in the strategy.

Laga

Forever Grande
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Audiosurfer just because he has a badge now it's an interesting core I have yet to try out.

Nix_Hex

Uangaana kasuttortunga!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
With a resounding 8 votes, AudioSurfer's DDtar core has been chosen for our team! The summary of his core can be found here.

Tyranitar @ Focus Sash
Trait: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 Atk / 4 HP
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Rock Slide
- Crunch
- Protect

Volcarona @ Sitrus Berry
Trait: Flame Body
EVs: 148 HP / 252 SAtk / 108 Spd
Modest Nature
- Heat Wave
- Bug Buzz
- Rage Powder
- Protect

Now, we move onto nominations for round 2. This time we will be nominating just one Pokemon instead of two. Post your set in the same format as before as well as a short synopsis of the set. You have two days from this time until we start up again.

Laga

Forever Grande
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus

Rotom-W @ Choice Specs
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 240 HP / 252 SAtk / 16 SDef
Modest Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Thunderbolt
- Trick
- Thunder

As it is right now, the core has some serious trouble with DrizzleSwim spam, due to Kingdra and Ludicolo easily being able to break through both of the Pokemon currently in the team's base core. This Rotom-W can take advantage of the opposition's potential rain (the biggest weakness atm) and exploit its now 100% accurate Thunder and crazy powerful Hydro Pump. Additionally, with the spread, it can live anything both Kingdra and Ludicolo throws at them, and usually OHKO back (Ludi tends to run LO, which puts it in OHKO range).

Another huge problem is Landorus-T, as it will be able to switch into Tyranitar with ease and hinder it with Intimidate, avoid the OHKO from Volcarona and nail whatever it feels like (EQ will do tons of damage to Tyranitar and do respectable damage to Volcarona, Rock Slide will make Volcarona a mushed bug pie). Landorus-T cannot do much to Rotom-W, especially with the significant HP investment, and Specs Hydro Pump will KO the Landog back with ease.

It also has amazing offensive synergy with Volcarona; Volcarona hits the problematic Grass-types that Rotom-W despises and Rotom-W takes care of the evil Rock and Fire types that Volcarona has trouble with. The two of them together will also help put keep opposing weathers in check; Volcarona completely dominates Sun and Hail teams, whilst Rotom-W is a huge thorn in the side for Rain teams. Additionally, Rotom-W is only weak to one type, Grass, and Volcarona can draw these moves in with RP and usually take less than 10 percent damage due to the 4x resist.

Edit: Yeah, trick > HP Grass

Last edited:

Breloom @ Life Orb
Trait: Technician
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Bullet Seed
- Mach Punch
- Spore
- Protect

Breloom is a good choice here, as it helps Dragon Dance TTar to set up easier, and can take out Excadrill, who would potentially give TTar trouble in a Sand vs Sand match. It also can help against Rain, as Bullet Seed will deal heavy damage to Politoed. I'm also feeling Virizion is a good choice, since it has better bulk, but Spore seemed a good option for supporting TTar. While this still leaves the team fairly open to Rain, we have three more members to remedy that issue with. This isn't a very large synopsis, mostly because Breloom's main roles will be to A) Spore things that can give trouble to TTar, and B) take out fast threats like Excadrill, and this doesn't really need too much explaining. Breloom does have some other important roles though, the most prominent of which is stopping Trick Room teams with Spore. It just isn't what this set is put on the team for, though it is a very nice bonus.

Pocket

be the upgraded version of me
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Yea, Rotom-W fits this team best. It not only covers the Volcarona + TTar core defensively with its resistances to Surfs, Acrobatics, and QuakeSlide, but it also pairs well offensively with either Volcarona or TTar.

I'll suggest an alternative Rotom-W set:

Rotom-W @ Electric Gem
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 236 HP / 244 SpA / 16 SpD / 12 Spe
Modest Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Thunderbolt
- Light Screen
- Protect

Speed creep to beat other Rotom-W and Hitmontops. Burn Hitmontop before it can knock out Rotom-W with Close Combat and then OHKO with Electric Gem-boosted Thunderbolt after the Special Defense drop. Electric Gem also can be reserved to severely maim opposing Rotom-W and other Water-types (not named Gastrodon), which can be an ass to Volcarona / TTar. The spread survives Modest LO Giga Drain from Ludicolo, surprisingly :eek:

EDIT: Changed Will-O-Wisp to Light Screen, due to high demand and better security against Rain.

Last edited:
imma agree with rotom, especially an offensive rotom. i think an egem set would be more manageable though, since egem does pmuch everything we need specs to do. if gastrodon becomes a hassle we can slap it on the third slot but for now i think light screen would adequately screw rain over.

That Choice Rotom is going to miss Trick.

Breloom is probably the best bet on this team, as it takes out Excadrill and pairs off very nicely with Volcarona.

I'm going to go for Rotom-W here, and was actualy my first choice for the team. The defensive set that Pocket posted works well. Imo however it needs light screen to help it take on rain better as its has no recovery. Pain split is also an option if we need it to be alive to handle rain.

Edit* Also anyone think about Thundurus-I? Idk any good Dubs sets since i'm just starting this teir after playing vgc for months. It alone handles rain nicely with T-wave, or at least the Threat of it.

my first thought was thund-i as well, but as it stands landog (especially stone edge landog) is a major problem for the team. maybe if we add more pokemon that can take on landog we can rethink rotom's slot.

my first thought was thund-i as well, but as it stands landog (especially stone edge landog) is a major problem for the team. maybe if we add more pokemon that can take on landog we can rethink rotom's slot.
Rotom is a brilliant Landog check though. If anything, I feel Rotom and Breloom make great picks for 3/4 and even complete a FWG core on the team, but I'll discuss it more later.

...at this point we are nominating, not decided which nomination we like :s

Personally, I'd like to see more nominations, a 2 way nomination isn't going to be very big. I'm dying to post like 3 more sets tbh, but I can't ;-;

Pocket EDIT: There are 3 nominations - 2 Rotom-W sets and 1 Breloom set ;o
Nollan EDIT: So you are going to make a post in here just to tell me I got the number of nominations wrong? x_x

Last edited:
...at this point we are nominating, not decided which nomination we like :s

Personally, I'd like to see more nominations, a 2 way nomination isn't going to be very big. I'm dying to post like 3 more sets tbh, but I can't ;-;
Send them to me so I can post them :3

Arcticblast

Trans rights are human rights
is a Forum Moderatoris a Tiering Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
I've got a better idea:

Jellicent @ Wacan Berry
Trait: Water Absorb
EVs: 252 SAtk / 252 HP / 4 SDef
Quiet Nature
IVs: 0 Spd
- Recover
- Scald
- Shadow Ball
- Trick Room

Right now, we have a two-mon core that has heavy weaknesses to Excadrill, Rain spam and Trick Room. Why not check all three at once? Jellicent's ability to do all of this seems like exactly what the team might need right now, meaning that with Jellicent we have a bit more freedom with the rest of the team. Jellicent's typing also lets it take out the Rock- and Ground-types that would already give our pair big problems, such as Terrakion and faster variants of Landorus-T.

The only problem I can see is a Tyranitar weakness forming, although it won't exactly switch in with impunity when Volcarona's on the field.

Thundurus @ Sitrus Berry
Trait: Prankster
EVs: 252 HP / 40 SpA / 196 SpD / 20 Spe
Calm Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Taunt
- Thunder Wave

Here's my contribution.

Bulky Thundurus. Checks Rain and every other fast sweeper bar Excadrill, who has enough weaknesses to other good mons that this guy doesn't have to worry about. HP Flying could also be used over Ice, but I'm just going for the most basic set for this CCAT.

Ok, firstly I want to say that I am very new to the forums, but have battled quite a bit of Smogon Doubles. Since we're having trouble with rock types and Excadrill, a rather unconventional unburden Hitmonlee set may do the trick. Having an opposing Excadrill may be the worst thing to happen to our core right now. A strong 87.5% chance to OHKO Volcorona with EQ with an guaranteed OHKO on our offensive Tyranitar. It can kill a Kingdra after a fake out as well.

Hitmonlee (M) @ Normal Gem
Trait: Unburden
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 Atk / 4 HP
Jolly Nature
- Fake Out
- Mach Punch
- Stone Edge
- Close Combat

So as I said, I am new to the forums and as it happens, new to EV distribution and natures. So I'd really appreciate feedback and help, and I can't wait to see the team. It will be beast.

EDIT:
Having got the feedback I needed from Pocket, I made up my mind on the final set. Also, I hadn't thought too much about Landorus and Intimidate while making this, so I don't know how the calcs would go.

Last edited:

Pocket

be the upgraded version of me
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Welcome to Doubles Forum, D-Quag :) Glad you're enjoying your time on the Doubles ladder!

You had Limber on Hitmonlee, so I changed it to Unburden. Your EVs are standard physical sweeper, so no probs there. I'd probably opt for Jolly Nature on Hitmonlee, because +2 Excadrill would still be faster than +2 Adamant Hitmonlee. Hi Jump Kick is a really iffy move in Doubles Meta, due to the abundance usage of Protect.

That said, I don't think Hitmonlee is the way to go. It just adds another Pokemon wrecked by Landorus-T, which is the last thing we want to do. It does not exactly help with Rain, either. If I want to take out Excadrill, I'd much rather do that with Breloom's stronger Mach Punch.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)