Durant

The trick is to give Durant a Escape Button so you can Entrain, get switched out when they attack, and switch in Chandelure before the turn even ends.

As is Truant Durant.

They're presumably talking about Dream World (not the PO DW OU tier, mind you), where they're allowed.
I haven't used Escape Button yet (though I do have one), is it confirmed to let you choose who you can switch in?

I haven't used Escape Button yet (though I do have one), is it confirmed to let you choose who you can switch in?
Yup, of course.

The problem is that some people are wary of Durant entirely and will just switch out on the first turn.

On the other hand, if you run a Hustle Hone Claws Durant, you can get a free setup as they switch out in fear of the Entrain Truant version.

don't know if anyone has said this yet but if you have the skill swapping ability, you could sent this guy into to bait out a chandelure. Then, since you outspeed it, use that ability and take its shadow tag as the opposing chandelure gets truant. Once the durant dies, Proceed to send in your own chandelure that has protect + acid armor + calm mind + flamethrower. Protect on every turn that truant isn't activated as you proceed to calm mind and acid armor up to +6, then sweep your opponent.

Derp, he meant when you're setting up with Durant. Truant won't let it use moves two turns in a row anyways, and they'll just switch out after you give them Truant.
*sighs*
My post was an exaggeration...whatever.

Anyways, they can't switch out if you switch into shadow tag chandelure.

Durant is actually pretty awesome after using Hone Claws, but the big fire weakness is a downfall, since with stuff like Hydreigon carrying Fire Blast and Shadow Tag Chandelure. Personally, I like him.

don't know if anyone has said this yet but if you have the skill swapping ability, you could sent this guy into to bait out a chandelure. Then, since you outspeed it, use that ability and take its shadow tag as the opposing chandelure gets truant. Once the durant dies, Proceed to send in your own chandelure that has protect + acid armor + calm mind + flamethrower. Protect on every turn that truant isn't activated as you proceed to calm mind and acid armor up to +6, then sweep your opponent.
What about MakeFriends/BatonPass/Protect/Agility, then BP to Chandelure?

Entrainment would probably be good support for a Chandelure, at least. It'd be almost unstoppable except for Prankster Taunt, Magic Coat, Magic Bounce, and faster mons, but Choice Scarf could circumvent that.

can someone explain why/how truant durant is any good?
Truant obviously sucks in general because of how the abillity works.

But, since Durant has the ability to give its opponent the abillity with the use of entertainment, it means you could switch into say, Shadow Tag Chandelure.

From their you would have a moveset like
Flame Charge/flamethrower
Calm Mind
Protect
Shadow ball

You'd protect on the turn they attack, and then stat up on the turn they are loafing around. And since you have shadow tag they can't switch out.

I like how people post the Entrainment set, as if the opponent wouldn't IMMEDIATELY switch out as soon as you've given their Pokemon Truant. It's pretty much the most obvious strategy out there, and will only work if your opponent KOs you on the turn you use Entrainment. And when someone sees that you have Durant and Chandelure on the same team, they will be 100% sure not to KO Durant with something slower unless they have an answer to a +6 Chandelure.

I like how people post the Entrainment set, as if the opponent wouldn't IMMEDIATELY switch out as soon as you've given their Pokemon Truant. It's pretty much the most obvious strategy out there, and will only work if your opponent KOs you on the turn you use Entrainment. And when someone sees that you have Durant and Chandelure on the same team, they will be 100% sure not to KO Durant with something slower unless they have an answer to a +6 Chandelure.
That's why you have an Escape Button on Durant...

or you just bluff Entrain Durant and instead get a free Hone Claws on a Hustle Durant as they switch.

Heatran seems like a natural partner for durant, especially with the hone claws/baton pass set. Have durant baton pass the hone claws to heatran on a predicted fire move and you have 100% accurate magma storm (or fire blast if you prefer) with a 50% power boost.

Wouldn´t it be nice to abuse Entrainment on BP-Hustle-Durant as well?
This might give you the turn to pass the boost without getting killed, because quite some special moves(which durant attracts with his phenomenal 48 base SpD) are already cursed with less then 100% accuracy.

so you need to Hone Claws > Entrainment > Baton Pass/attack (maybe insert Sub to avoid the OHKO?) - problem are faster special attackers, so at least max hp/ max speed spread adviseable

It would be so funny if they start to panic when you entrain them, not realizing that it´s not the TrueAnt ;)

Wouldn´t it be nice to abuse Entrainment on BP-Hustle-Durant as well?
This might give you the turn to pass the boost without getting killed, because quite some special moves(which durant attracts with his phenomenal 48 base SpD) are already cursed with less then 100% accuracy.

so you need to Hone Claws > Entrainment > Baton Pass/attack (maybe insert Sub to avoid the OHKO?) - problem are faster special attackers, so at least max hp/ max speed spread adviseable

It would be so funny if they start to panic when you entrain them, not realizing that it´s not the TrueAnt ;)
I was thinking about that too, but there is a problem with that strategy:

The reduced accuracy from hustle--like the increased damage--only affects physical attacks.

alexwolf

lurks in the shadows
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
if only there was a physical hidden power!!!i still do not understand why there isn't...why special attackers get all the fun?maybe 'cause blissey spoils their fun all the time but in 5th gen even more special attackers are able to get past blissey...

I was thinking about that too, but there is a problem with that strategy:

The reduced accuracy from hustle--like the increased damage--only affects physical attacks.
I thought to remember that my in-game togefreak with hustle missed every attack he wanted to use? Do you have a reference for hustle-mechanics, because serebii is as always not precise enough...

If your statement proves to be correct, hustle-entrain durant could at least easily escape scarf-shandera without shed shell if you entrain them on the switch and entrainment would have 100% even with hustle, so I wouldn´t need to hone claw on the first turn, am I right?

if only there was a physical hidden power!!!i still do not understand why there isn't...why special attackers get all the fun?maybe 'cause blissey spoils their fun all the time but in 5th gen even more special attackers are able to get past blissey...
There is a physical Hidden Power, it's called Natural/Nature (forgot) Gift. It only has a different condition to activate.

There is a physical Hidden Power, it's called Natural/Nature (forgot) Gift. It only has a different condition to activate.
I'm sure you mean Natural Gift. The power and type depends on the Berry held and the Berry is consumed after use. It could be used infinitely with a mon with, oh I don't know, Harvest?

lmitchell0012

Wi-Fi Blacklisted
What sucks about natural gift is that you NEED an item in order to use it and it can only be used once. Hidden power can be used regardless of the item held and it can be used multiple times. So, basically, the physical version of hidden power got the middle finger.

I thought to remember that my in-game togefreak with hustle missed every attack he wanted to use? Do you have a reference for hustle-mechanics, because serebii is as always not precise enough...

If your statement proves to be correct, hustle-entrain durant could at least easily escape scarf-shandera without shed shell if you entrain them on the switch and entrainment would have 100% even with hustle, so I wouldn´t need to hone claw on the first turn, am I right?
I got the information from Bulbapedia, and I confirmed it when leveling my deino up to a hydreigon.

So yes, you could use entrainment on the switch to escape chandelure (or scarf magnezone for that matter) with 100% accuracy.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)