Durant

How the hell does this thing hit 109 Speed? I was legitimately scared and jumped a little when I witnessed it outpace my Terakion by one base point and cold clock it with Iron Head. It's a fucking ant. What will Nintendo think of next?

OKAY. GUYS. BEST IDEA EVER. Umbreon BPs Block to Truant Aianto. Aianto Makes Friends with the chump, then BPs to a setup 'mon of your choice. My favorite is Uragumosu, because it resists Fighting and Bug (Umbreon's weaknesses) and can Butterfly Dance up to insane heights. Blaziken is great as well, as it can use Speed Boost and Bulk Up to hit similar heights as Uragumosu, but this time with the boosts helping to resist priority. A crazier one would be Infernape/Lucario, seeing as they have access to both Calm Mind and Bulk Up, allowing them to hit +6 in both stats. They would have to run some bizarre coverage move such as Dragon Pulse to get around the immunities to their STABs, but it would still be scary as hell.

For obvious reasons, this cannot be attempted prior to the removal of Ditto from the enemy team unless you want to run a Protect-Sub-Stat-Attack Pokemon, and last I checked, mono-attackers went out of style ever since Suicune stopped being good.

This is hardly reliable, but still cool as hell. New-age Baton Pass chains that don't involve Smeargle.

Is this new in 5th-gen? Because it could in 4th-gen. It was one of Umbreon's selling points.
First off, it was never a selling point. Only people who had no idea what they were doing used Mean Look Umbreon.

Second, yes, it has changed. Can't be BPed any more.

Third, it's Mean Look. Umbreon doesn't have Block. (Though they are functionally the same.)

Is this new in 5th-gen? Because it could in 4th-gen. It was one of Umbreon's selling points.
Yes, things like Mean Look and Block can't be Baton Passed anymore.

Sorry if this has been mentioned, but when I looked through Aianto's viable moves, I noticed that it's walled by Steels outside of Dig.

Sorry if this has been mentioned, but when I looked through Aianto's viable moves, I noticed that it's walled by Steels outside of Dig.
It is walled by Steel as a type, but when you look at the steel pokes that will see regular usage in OU the only ones that wall it are Skarm, Magnezone and Registeel, which hardly sees usage in my experience this Gen. Skarm walls it only because of it's amazing physical bulk and ability to phaze it away, which is the reason it walls most purely physical sweepers. Most Magnezone are scarfed and, since Aianto is part steel, traps Aianto, outspeed it and OHKO it with HP fire, meaning that the fact that Aianto is walled by it is the least of your worries when Magnezone is switched in. All other common steel types can be handled with Xscissor(since most are part phychic) and are 2HKOd or Stone Edge(which i believe should be used over thunder Fang) for heatran, but I'd suggest not attempting to set up Aianto when you're opponent still has a Heatran with 50%+ health left.

Personally, I'm hoping and expecting that Aianto will end up in UU when the tier is made official, where the only Steel Type that can wall it that it is likely to find is Registeel. I've used it in the PO Serever's DW UU, and, although the tier has serious problems, Aianto has worked amazingly as a lategame sweeper and often turned around matches for me.

Yes, things like Mean Look and Block can't be Baton Passed anymore.

Now you can try Aianto's gimmick Escape Button/Truant/Make Friends with a Magnet Pull user!

All you have to do is feign a Hone Claw set, and then, somehow, without revealing that you're Truant... eh, details.

marilli

With you
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Former Other Tournament Circuit Champion
Or, you could use a Dugtrio!

Probably the best thing you could do to make this Aianto thing viable is

1. Make the Hone Claw set extremely popular

2. Spikestack like there's no tomorrow. If he's smart enough and switches every other turn, you just accumulate passive damage. If he kills you, switch in your trapper for massive boost OVER 9000!

3. A priority user so you can clean up... or revenge kill ditto. Is Truant Aianto allowed in standard now?

Or, you could use a Dugtrio!

Probably the best thing you could do to make this Aianto thing viable is

1. Make the Hone Claw set extremely popular

2. Spikestack like there's no tomorrow. If he's smart enough and switches every other turn, you just accumulate passive damage. If he kills you, switch in your trapper for massive boost OVER 9000!

3. A priority user so you can clean up... or revenge kill ditto. Is Truant Aianto allowed in standard now?
But Dugtrio can't get +6 in every stat like Magnezone can. :P

Nah just on DW, no other Isshu pokemon other than Musharna and Hihidaruma have their DW ability available. Also a the best way of dealing with Aianto is through elec genie (priority taunt and speed pretty much allow him to shut Aianto's first move) or possibly Erufuun (since one turn wasted pretty much allows Erufuun a free sub). Though Genie is safer in that he can opt to volt change in case Shandera comes in and still cause pretty good damage.

SJCrew

Believer, going on a journey...
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
The real problem I've experienced in trying to use Ainto is mainly his crippling lack of special bulk, combined with his low HP. In other words, his Sp. Def is about as bad as Cloyster's (and anyone who's used that thing KNOWS what I mean).

Also, looking at the calcs, he doesn't really have enough sweeping power without LO, which sucks because I really had my heart set on Leftovers. :/ At least he can find some setup opportunities with that base 112 Defense of his.

Personally, I'm just waiting for the metagame to settle down in Standard and for Shandera to be banned in DW so I can have some real fun with this guy. I mean, just look at him, he's a badass.

marilli

With you
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Former Other Tournament Circuit Champion
But Dugtrio can't get +6 in every stat like Magnezone can. :P
Wait... how does Magnezone boost his speed? I know he has Charge Beam. Otherwise I am sure people would have whored him as the best set-upper against ScarfRachi and CBScizor.

First off, it was never a selling point. Only people who had no idea what they were doing used Mean Look Umbreon.

Second, yes, it has changed. Can't be BPed any more.

Third, it's Mean Look. Umbreon doesn't have Block. (Though they are functionally the same.)
First: if something can do something, it's always a selling point. ALWAYS. There was a discussion of Block Blissey once as a way of easing prediction and negating double switches...

Second: Huh, you learn something new every day. What a pity.

Third: Same move.

Well, aside from that, I guess you could use Aianto to extend the list of units that can be revenge-killed. Previously it was just things that could be OHKO'd, now it's anything that can be killed before you run out of PP. Unfortunate that it often requires you sacrifice Aianto or risk your switch-in dying. Fortunate in that to the best of my knowledge it always beats Dory.

Wait... how does Magnezone boost his speed? I know he has Charge Beam. Otherwise I am sure people would have whored him as the best set-upper against ScarfRachi and CBScizor.
Magnezone @ Starf Berry
-Protect
-Substitute
-Recycle
-Flash Cannon

lol, that's why it won't work against any normal threats. On the other hand, once you do set up, what's gonna stop you?

People...just use traunt, get a switch in to chandelure.
Protect on the attack, calm mind/ or nitro boost on the "loafing around" turn.

I've seen many a rage quit, and many 6-0 sweeps.

a very nice tactic in battle could be, durant with truant and the move 'assemble crew' and baton pass. you start of with durant as your lead, you pass the truant ability and baton pass to a sweeper which carries protect. so one turn you (ex. calm mind or swords dance) and then you protect when the opponent can attack again. and that you'll keep on doing till you sweep XD

a very nice tactic in battle could be, durant with truant and the move 'assemble crew' and baton pass. you start of with durant as your lead, you pass the truant ability and baton pass to a sweeper which carries protect. so one turn you (ex. calm mind or swords dance) and then you protect when the opponent can attack again. and that you'll keep on doing till you sweep XD
They'll switch out.

couldn't you use someone with amnesia and baton pass it no durant?
or would it be pointless because his special defense is so low

hahahahaha!
sorry, I like laughing at people.

Shadow Tag Chandulre...with nitro boost, calm mind, protect, and shadow ball.
Derp, he meant when you're setting up with Durant. Truant won't let it use moves two turns in a row anyways, and they'll just switch out after you give them Truant.

Derp, he meant when you're setting up with Durant. Truant won't let it use moves two turns in a row anyways, and they'll just switch out after you give them Truant.
The trick is to give Durant a Escape Button so you can Entrain, get switched out when they attack, and switch in Chandelure before the turn even ends.

Shadow Tag Chandelure is banned in OU
As is Truant Durant.

They're presumably talking about Dream World (not the PO DW OU tier, mind you), where they're allowed.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)