ORAS UU First RMT (SubSceptile Curslax Offense)

I really Enjoy the UU tier, and I wanted to make a team around Snorlax and Sceptile, two of my favorite OG pokemon from back in the day.

Without further ado, here's the team:

Snorlax @ Leftovers
Ability: Thick Fat
EVs: 188 HP / 144 Def / 176 SpD
Careful Nature
- Curse
- Rest
- Sleep Talk
- Body Slam
Curselax is really great if you can get it going. It has great bulk and deals massive damage if you let it set up. It has great sustain with rest, and can shake off statuses easily. It tanks entei and most special attacks besides focus blast.

Sceptile-Mega @ Sceptilite
Ability: Lightning Rod
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Substitute
- Dragon Pulse
- Focus Blast
- Giga Drain
Sceptile is one of the best megas in the tier. Despite being 4x weak to ice, it's fast (only mega Aerodactyl outspeeds it). Substitute allows it to get nice damage off it they switch out, and Giga Drain sustains it really well. Focus Blast deals with Mega Aggron and Snorlax. Dragon Pulse for the stab.

Nidoking @ Life Orb
Ability: Sheer Force
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
Modest Nature
- Sludge Bomb
- Ice Beam
- Earth Power
- Thunderbolt
This is the fairy killer on the team. This thing hits like a truck, and one EP OHKO's Mega-Aggron 100 percent of the time. Thunderbolt is for mega Aero and Blastoise. Ice beam takes out Sceptile and Donphan.

Mamoswine @ Life Orb
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Icicle Crash
- Ice Shard
My only hazard mon on the team. Despite that, it has great offensive coverage. EQ kills most of the ground types in the tier, and priority ice is always great.

Machamp @ Assault Vest
Ability: No Guard
EVs: 172 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SpD / 76 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Fire Punch
- Dynamic Punch
- Knock Off
- Bullet Punch
Special Resist. It can take a hyper voice from sylveon, and Knock Off deals with Chandelure. Dynamic hits hard and the confuse is nice, Fire punch deals with Beedrill and Lucario. Bullet punch deals 1/3 to defensive Sylveon.

Espeon @ Choice Specs
Ability: Magic Bounce
Timid Nature
- Dazzling Gleam
- Psychic
- Shadow Ball
- Trick
Magic Bounce is one of the best abilities and the game, and Trick can destroy setup mons. Even without it, Espeon hits really hard, and it covers Conkeldurr well. I run psychic over Psyshock because I feel like I have enough Physical Damage. Dazzling gleam destroys dragons.

Threats:
Mega Aerodactyl-This thing outspeeds MSceptile and can OHKO machamp with wing attack.
Mega Beedrill-This thing hits hard and is 4x resistant to Mega Sceptile
Hazards-I don't have a spinner on the team, and my only resist to hazards is Magic Bounce, so pokemon like Gavantula can set up Sticky web and fuck me over.

Importable:
Snorlax @ Leftovers
EVs: 188 HP / 144 Def / 176 SpD
Careful Nature
- Curse
- Rest
- Sleep Talk
- Body Slam

Timid Nature
- Substitute
- Dragon Pulse
- Focus Blast
- Energy Ball

Nidoking @ Life Orb
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
Modest Nature
- Sludge Bomb
- Ice Beam
- Earth Power
- Thunderbolt

Mamoswine @ Life Orb
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Icicle Crash
- Ice Shard

Machamp @ Assault Vest
EVs: 172 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SpD / 76 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Fire Punch
- Dynamic Punch
- Knock Off
- Bullet Punch

Espeon @ Choice Specs
Ability: Magic Bounce
Timid Nature
- Dazzling Gleam
- Psychic
- Shadow Ball
- Trick

Killintime

Time not so well spent
is a Tiering Contributoris a Community Contributor Alumnus
Heyyyoooo, so I saw your team dude and you have a good idea of what you were trying to pull but id like to make a few changes.

-First off I just want to improve your Machamp set:

Machamp @ Assault Vest
EVs: 172 HP / 252 Atk / 84 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Dynamic Punch
- Knock Off
- Stone Edge
- Heavy Slam

• Now I realised you were running fire punch probably because you were getting a headache from mons like forretress setting hazards on you, but dont worry we will be getting to some hazard removal.
  • So instead of fire punch and bullet punch lets run heavy slam and stone edge; These moves will allow you harm mons like cleric sylveon and crobat heavily who would otherwise wall your old set.
  • Thanks to no guard mons like gyra also dont appreciate setting up on machamp since stone edge can hit someone on the first turn of bounce due to your ability.
-252+ Atk Machamp Heavy Slam (120 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Sylveon: 272-320 (69 - 81.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
-252+ Atk Machamp Stone Edge vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Crobat: 288-340 (92.6 - 109.3%) -- 56.3% chance to OHKO

-On the next issue; "Mega Aerodactyl-This thing out speeds MSceptile and can OHKO machamp with wing attack." "Hazards-I don't have a spinner on the team, and my only resist to hazards is Magic Bounce, so pokemon like Gavantula can set up Sticky web and fuck me over.". Now to try and mitigate this issue what you can do is replace Mamoswine with Empoleon.
---->

Empoleon @ Shuca Berry
Ability: Torrent
EVs: 208 HP / 252 SpA / 48 Spe
Modest Nature
- Scald
- Signal Beam
- Grass Knot
- Defog

• This will offer you 1 aero check thanks to shuca berry reducing the damage from earthquake one time around. You gain hazard control in defog allowing you to remove anything thats been stacked against you thanks to any passivity from snorlax for example. The signal beam allows you to lure in celebi a lot better easing the burden it put on your team before by being a one time answer. This also removes any issues you may have had with mega pert.

-
Another point you brought up was "Mega Beedrill-This thing hits hard and is 4x resistant to Mega Sceptile"; now I see you are running an odd nidoking set which could honestly be replaced for nidoqueen since the only real reason to be using nidoking over queen is the speed tier.
------->

Nidoqueen @ Black Sludge
EVs: 248 HP / 240 Def / 20 SpA
Bold Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Poison Jab
- Ice Beam
- Earth Power

• With defensive queen you gain a method of dealing with mega beedrill a lot better than before, and you also gain the rocks we lost by removing mamoswine. Poison jab allows you to check faries a lot better while the other two slots are standard coverage to deal with mons like aero on switch in.
-With the issues you had hopefully being dealt with I just want to add a set optimisation in sceptile:

Timid Nature
- Protect
- Dragon Pulse
- Focus Blast
- Energy Ball

• Now the reason I want protect over substitute, I notice your method of checking gyarados was lacking; This set allows you to attack gyra while protecting on the turn it comes down on your mons with bounce which should in theory counter it.
-Now I realise I have made quite a few changes but bear with me here espeon->cresselia:
---->

Cresselia @ Colbur Berry
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 160 HP / 252 Def / 96 Spe
Bold Nature
- Calm Mind
- Psyshock
- Moonblast
- Moonlight

• Now I know its another change and all, but honestly your team isnt weak to hazards and its not like you really need the strong psychic stab. Running cress will offer you switch ins to mamo a lot more taking the pressure off of empoleon since its being used to blanket check half the tier right now.
  • The colbur berry allows you to deal with the large amount of banded krooks in the tier right now and tank powerful dark moves in general such as a lo mamoswines knock off.
  • The speed on the spread allows you to outspeed jolly crawdaunt which otherwise dies to a moonblast when you're at +1 allowing you to preserve your colbur or prevent serious damage from knock off.
  • But again this last change is just something I would use in my opinion since it offers so much more to this team than espeon does.
I hope I haven't bothered you with my changes dude, good luck with the team!

Last edited:

Killintime

Time not so well spent
is a Tiering Contributoris a Community Contributor Alumnus
A defensive queen can be beat by the CM faries, however by running jab even with a -attack nature you still either 2hko or do too much damage for them to continue to setup on you:
0- Atk Sheer Force Nidoqueen Poison Jab vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Florges: 174-206 (48.3 - 57.2%) -- 43.8% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
20 SpA Sheer Force Nidoqueen Sludge Wave vs. +1 252 HP / 4 SpD Florges: 102-120 (28.3 - 33.3%) -- 87.4% chance to 4HKO after Leftovers recovery

You can of course run roar but that's just moving the problem to a later date.

rs

STANDING ON BUSINESS
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnusis a Past WCoP Championis a Former Smogon Metagame Tournament Circuit Champion
Hey man, cool looking team. Killintime already gave you some great suggestions and I think you should implement them. I just have one thing I'd like to input (after implementing the changes ofc)
  • The one thing I would recommend is to use Conkeldurr over Machamp. Though Machamp is ~decent with a confusion move and 10 more base speed than Conk, Conk is actually stronger, bulkier, has better coverage, has Guts, AND has access priority and a decent recovery move in Drain Punch, increasing its overall longevity as an Assault Vest user. Here's the set I'd recommend for your team.

Conkeldurr @ Assault Vest
    Ability: Guts
    EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 SpD
    Adamant Nature
    - Drain Punch
    - Knock Off
    - Thunder Punch
    - Mach Punch

I don't think fairy coverage (Poison Jab) is essential since you have 2 relatively solid checks in Nidoqueen and Empoleon (after you implement Killintime's changes). An alternative spread could run 44 Speed to outspeed stuff like Mega Aggron and Diancie, but again you have some solid checks to them as well w/ other team members.
But yeah, that's the only recommendation I have! Cool team and good luck!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)