Gallade

another option on the lead set (over say night slash or shadow sneak) is magic coat. Lets it block entry hazard attempts and sleep inducing leads. Also comes as a big surprise to most ^^
OHHHH YESSSS. :000 Totally forgot he gets that.

But not over Shadow Sneak, I'd say CC/Shadow Sneak/Stone Edge/Magic Coat is probably the way to go. Ice Punch slashed over Stone Edge if you really want to hit specific leads like Erufuun or something, but priority is practically a must for those Sash leads.

Like people have been mentioning, Bulk Up really seems to be the way to go with Gallade.

As a fighter, Lucario, Blaziken, The Horse trio, and more outclass it as a user of SD thanks to either secondary STAB, a superior ability, or better typing (and in Lucario's case, the best priority move). The likes of Machamp and Roohpushin have higher initial defense, which makes them play much more differently. Gallade distinguishes itself with Psychic-typing shared only with Medicham, has several status infliction moves, and is tied for the 2nd-highest special defense of all fighting types, behind Birijion alone.

Thunder Wave / Bulk Up / Drain Punch / Shadow Sneak provides mad utility for the team - paralysis support is always useful in such a speed-based metagame, while Bulk Up provides a setup sweeper. Finally, Shadow Sneak provides the team with some much loved priority, and with its relatively low HP Drain Punch will find itself healing back alot of damage.

Like people have been mentioning, Bulk Up really seems to be the way to go with Gallade.

As a fighter, Lucario, Blaziken, The Horse trio, and more outclass it as a user of SD thanks to either secondary STAB, a superior ability, or better typing (and in Lucario's case, the best priority move). The likes of Machamp and Roohpushin have higher initial defense, which makes them play much more differently. Gallade distinguishes itself with Psychic-typing shared only with Medicham, has several status infliction moves, and is tied for the 2nd-highest special defense of all fighting types, behind Birijion alone.

Thunder Wave / Bulk Up / Drain Punch / Shadow Sneak provides mad utility for the team - paralysis support is always useful in such a speed-based metagame, while Bulk Up provides a setup sweeper. Finally, Shadow Sneak provides the team with some much loved priority, and with its relatively low HP Drain Punch will find itself healing back alot of damage.
...I think I actually agree with this. Last generation, I might have been more skeptical, but with Drain Punch's increase in power along with its already-decent Special Defense... plus Thunder Wave fixing his crap Speed... yeah, that could totally work. :0 I gotta try this, man.

Wallade is awesome but basically never used
Gallade @ chesto
252 HP/156 Def/100 SDef
~Will o wisp
~Bulk up
~Drain Punch
~Rest
Drain punch got boosted this gen, but this is still a little gimmicky set that actually works decently against people switching in fear of scarf Gallade. Just putting this set out there... :)
The problem with this is that, apart from burns, Zuruzukin completely outclasses you defensively, with Shed Skin or Intimidate, and good STAB coverage.

What item would you guys suggest on the T-wave, Drain punch, Shadow sneak, Bulk up set? Leftovers? Life orb? And how about the EV spread? Should we decrease the speed EVs because of the paralysis support from T-wave and add them into def/sp.def to make gallade bulkier?

Hmm... T-wave + Drain Punch + Shadow Sneak + Bulk Up looks good on paper but I think you lose too much coverage. Fighting + Ghost may be unresisted but there's plenty of stuff that won't mind getting hit by a fighting move nor a weak ghost attack. I don't know what to use instead of T-wave though, it stands between psycho cut and ice punch.

I favour psycho cut because it gives him another STAB and it lets him counter both of his own types. I think you're just gonna have to accept that he will be vulnerable to some things no matter what you do, but imo a set that includes Bulk Up needs 3 attacks. You could get night slash instead but then you still have 2 attacks and psychic & fighting STAB + ghost priority is really solid.

I see no point in giving him speed EVs. If I was to equip a Bulk Up + Drain Punch + Psycho Cut + Shadow Sneak set I would give it 252 HP, 122 attack and 136 defense with an adamant nature. This lets Gallade reach a good point after 2 Bulk Ups which is highly reasonable. You can give it whatever you like really, from expert belt to big root to custap berry to leftovers to scope lens. The reason why you don't want life orb is because you're EV'ing to hurt yourself more both absolutely (HP loss) and relatively (defense increased from bulk up). Personally I would go with leftovers.

If you made sure you had a team mate that had good synergy with Gallade to what it can't hit well with the set you posted altoire, that set you suggested could be viable. Leftovers sounds good seems it sounds like you want a bulky offense Gallade. Regarding Salem1's suggestions psycho cut I agree is the better option in general, but if you really fear dragons with your current team run ice punch.

The most effective gallade set I've used has been.

Gallade @ Salac Berry
Careful Nature
140 HP 206 Atk 164 Speed
Close Combat
Thunder Wave
Destiny Bond
Ice Punch

Ev's are so it can outspeed 0 speed invested Jirachi, Tentacruel, Celebi. The rest are to help out gallade's impressive special bulk and make sure he still hits like a truck. The beauty of the set is the versatility. If gallade comes in on a boosted threat he can t-wave and then outspeed and destiny bond.
Close Combat's defense drop helps neutral attacks drop gallade into salac berry range. After a salac boost Gallade can hurt teams pretty badly with Close Combat and Ice punch and when gallade is clearly going to die it can outspeed for the destiny bond kill.
Also if you know you your speed tiers this set can function as a great choice bluff.

Its the versatility that makes it so dangerous. Also its a concept that is unique to Gallade's .

Looks like a nice set actually, and I agree that Gallade has status options to distinguish itself from other Bulk Uppers, that along with Psychic secondary typing and Shadow Sneak.

Personally, I never used Gallade; not even in 4th generation. Not that it sucks, it's just I've never have found a value of it on my teams with my style of play, but then again this applies for most other Fighting-types as well.

I was gonna mention this, but forgot (the t-wave + shadow sneak thing) in above post. Oh, and did you use that set, if so what spread?

I'm posting, once again, when I gotta go, so I've only read the OP. But here's a set I like to abuse (in GenIV, anyway):

Gallade@Liechi Berry
Steadfast; Adamant
252 Atk, 252 Spe, 4 HP

Swords Dance
Endure
Shadow Sneak
Close Combat

SD once or twice, and Endure when you predict a KO. Liechi will activate, giving you at least +3 Atk almost every time. Then you spam Shadow Sneak. On things like Swampert or and Empoleon, which you out-speed, you can CC for huge damage. As it turns out, the Steel and Normal types which resist/immune to Shadow Sneak are weak to CC, giving the famous Ghost-Fighting neutral coverage. Anyway, spamming priority off of base 125 Atk with +3 or more wil decimate unprepared teams. I don't know about its viability in GenV, but it sure worked in GenIV.
I actually really like this set. I'll probably end up using it, although, I'd rather run Drain Punch over CC so you could heal a bit off slower pokes.

Then you'll last longer IMO

lmitchell0012

Wi-Fi Blacklisted
Gallade is largely outclassed by lucario. He isn't 4x resistant to stealth rock, he isn't 4x resistant to dark (justice heart), doesn't have a STAB priority attack, and he can't boost his special attack by two stages. Also, lucario has better speed, which is always useful in OU.

alphatron

Volt turn in every tier! I'm in despair!
Maybe it's just the drain punch buff in fifth gen...but I find myself asking, "Why the hell have I not used Gallade?"

Gallade is largely outclassed by lucario.
One of those pokemon can beat Conkeldurr in a bulk up war. It isn't lucario. Utilizing will-o-wisp on bulk up sets has been great. Other than that, I've messed around with Choice Band Gallade sets with trick. They're okay for when you need the extra power right away.

While it sounds silly, calm mind on bulk up sets allows Gallade to live through special attacks quite well. The base 115 special defense can only go so far, and the sp. def boosts keep Gallade alive in between bulk ups and drain punches.

Gallade is largely outclassed by lucario. He isn't 4x resistant to stealth rock, he isn't 4x resistant to dark (justice heart), doesn't have a STAB priority attack, and he can't boost his special attack by two stages. Also, lucario has better speed, which is always useful in OU.
Either you havent used Gallade, or your just riding Lucario's nuts harder than P.Diddy on Biggie.

1. Gallade might not be 4x resistant to SR, but it still resist it, which is still a good merit..and for pokes like them it doesnt really matter about that. Both of them are weak defensively (except for gallade's special defense), so a few HP points wont matter on them
2. As much as Justice Heart is a merit (and it might just be me) but I rarely find an opportunity to use it, EXCEPT on Ttar which is already a big risk because unless I have full knowledge that they are choice banded and lucario NEEDS the SD then its not somethin i'm gonna consider over Gallade.
3. Priority, YES you are correct..Lucario does have better priority with either vacuum wave or e-speed..which is lucario's main selling point to use him over MANY other fighting types, not just gallade.
4. Why would Gallade ever need to boost his special attack? its really low, and he hits hard enough with his Attack power. Enough that after an SD it can OHKO/2HKO every wall in the metagame. The benifits lucario gets from his nasty plot is the ability to utilize vacuum wave to hit specific threats
5. This metagame is too fast for the both of them...I dont think I've ever said "It was thanks to lucario's 90 base speed that I won this game." As of right now, there is nothing specific for either of them to worry about speed and who's faster

Those are your reasonings to use lucario..now here is something lucario cant do:

Gallade has much more special defense, so it wont be OHKOed by so easily by any special attack, it can utilize a defense set with status moves such as WoW, Twave, and even though rarely used hypnosis. It isnt weak to the now popular mach punch, so conkeldurr doesnt revenge kill him easier than lucario...Works well with bulk up+Drain punch thanks to his special defense bulk..Can annoy physical walls with TRICK (underrated at this point)..and in general just a higher attack to hit hard right off the bat..

Anyways yeah, that does not sound like "completely outclassed" to me...im not saying either or are better..but they are both just different fighting types

alphatron

I'm not sure if that post was necessary, as you're responding to the same person who said that slack off was one of Infernape's selling points over blaziken. He may have been joking though.

alexwolf

lurks in the shadows
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
you don't know anything about gallade do you???
gallade can utilize bulk up much better than lucario due to better weaknesses,namely flying and ghost instead of ground,fire and fighting.
he also resists fighting which means that he can beat most fighting bulk uppers including roobushin and suruzukin...
lucario doesn't come even close to the special bulkiness of gallade which allows him to be such a good bulk upper.
gallade has taunt and shadow sneak that make up for a very different role...
gallade also has hypnosis and will-o-wisp!!!
as a straight up attacker yes lucario is better,but he doesn't outclass in any way gallade...
so next time you better be more informed before you speak...

although this was already answered by about 2 persons i just want to say each time i hear the words gallade is outclassed by lucario i get pissed off. lucario plays a completely different style compared to gallade and anyone trying to use them in the same way is doing it wrong. lucario cant take a unresisted hit. lucario cant abuse bulk up for shit. lucario cant spread status around the enemy team and lucario cant be green and still have a awesome sprite.

gallade style of play should be based around supporting the team without fear of being a setup bait. it got a bunch of moves to support, ranging from status to stuff like trick room and should be abused while knowing that you can still cause great damage with your STAB options. other options are the already mentioned bulk up set or a fusion of both(also already mentioned). bulk up shows the clear difference between the two: gallade can take a hit. the fact anyone would even compare both is a insult to gallade supporting capabilities.

point: you dont sweep with gallade(Although you are more then capable of doing so if you can get a few bulk ups in). you dont support with lucario. they are 2 completely different pokemons that only share the fighting type and close combat which other fighters also do. stop comparing both, its stupid.

alphatron

So Gallade is officially UU. I'm gonna test the bulk up set in this tier once I get the chance. Looking at the UU threats, I can't see much of a reason to drop ice punch.

alexwolf

lurks in the shadows
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
last gen i used a gallade with max hp,almost max sp.def and some def evs with a moveset of taunt,drain punch,shadow sneak and bulk up.worked wonders when baton passed an agility from zapdos...i imagine that now with the increased bp of drain punch and also the increased pp(it used to have 8 pp which is verya bad when you consider it is your main stab and your way of healing)he is going to be even better...!!!
although the new flying moves and the new flying pokes might make life a little bit more difficult for our favourite fighting medium(namely acrobatics,hurricane and tornadus)...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)