Golden Sun Dark Dawn

New characters silouetted on the website look to me like a male Mercury Adept in the vein of Ivan, and the last one looks to me like a female Venus adept; her staff looks distinctly leafy.

New characters silouetted on the website look to me like a male Mercury Adept in the vein of Ivan, and the last one looks to me like a female Venus adept; her staff looks distinctly leafy.
I believe that her name is Harmony.

Also, I have reason to believe that the Water Adept is physical (and doesn't suck, like Piers did). It's also quite possible that he may be Lemurian... or something.

Mr.E

unban me from Discord
is a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
Still having that carry-over shit? I'd have having to dig around my house to find my copy of GS2... :[

Almost but not quite excited enough about this to buy a DS. Stupid Nintendo and their umpteen fucking consoles with 2 good games each :(

For all that have played it what are your thoughts on the game? I'm about 5 hours into the game and nothing much exciting has happened so far although maybe it has but I just can't read Japanese. So far it's been everything I could've hoped for not much that I can complain about

Spoilers below

The game appears to be divided into two games from what I've managed to glean from golden sun realm boards because Matthew points at something and then the game goes to the final credits

Fatecrashers

acta est fabula
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Artist Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
The English release is at the end of November anyway so I will definitely wait. This isn't like Pokemon where you can ignore the negligible story and play through the whole game in Japanese. Playing one of these story-heavy RPG games in Japanese would be unbearable for me :/

Nexus

Forever the Recusant
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
These next 4 weeks are going to be torture... games looks amazing and love catastrophe's new animation :)

I've essentially been avoiding any and all information about Dark Dawn since its release date was announced, including videos and images. I want everything to be a surprise to me.

28 days. FML. The seven-and-a-half-plus year wait is almost over.

I don't really understand. I just played through GS1 in anticipation of this and as far as I can tell it's just kind of... bad....

The combat is like, whatever I guess? I haven't played a ton of RPGs or anything, but it's sort of just "mow down everything that stands before you." When I reached strong bosses, I didn't even have to grind; I just un-set all of my djinn or whatever and brute forced them with uh, a little "relish"? Then like, eventually, by the final boss or so, I learned how good the barrier djinn were, so I abused them and easily won that too. >_> It wasn't terribly interesting or strategic or anything, I just learned this new, obviously abusive tactic and let it do the rest of the work for me. So I can't say any of the combat was terribly interesting to me, and I didn't even remotely power-level.

And I hear a lot of talk about how the dungeons/puzzles are good or whatever. I thought the puzzles were about as riveting as they are in like, the first dungeon in your everyday Zelda game I guess? Also, slower and more tedious, but in terms of thought process sure, they were okay on that very basic level. The dungeons themselves were just dungeons, except they were dungeons with random encounters which makes backtracking and exploration that much more irritating (much of that backtracking being entirely pointless, because frankly a lot of the puzzles are vague as hell).

And the dialogue offers just, nothing. It is horrible with no redeeming features of any kind. Thank God I could fastforward through it with my "magical time powers," there is seriously no fucking way that I'd have been able to sit through that bullshit otherwise. I... like, all of the other things make me wonder why the game is considered so wonderful, much less a defining GBA title. The dialogue, though, seriously has me at a loss as to how anybody could stand playing through the whole thing on a GBA. It is so bad, and all of the characters are so bad, and the entire story is so bad. >_> And it consistently takes minutes to escape that, only to play a remainder of the game that boasts being... "pretty okay if you like that sort of thing?"

I'll shut up and be quiet now though, since technically none of this has to do with Golden Sun DS. I am pretty disappointed though, what with the hype surrounding it. It's not supposed to be significantly different in any way, is it (I'm sure I've heard that the second one is basically just a straight continuation of the first)?

Firestorm

I did my best, I have no regrets!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
You probably won't like 'em. A lot of my friends find the games boring too. I'm really hoping I don't just remember the games with rose-tinted glasses. I loved both titles and am looking forward to the DS game. Is Sakuraba still composing the music?

Fatecrashers

acta est fabula
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Artist Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Sakuraba is indeed still composing the music, which I couldn't be more happy about, since the music was one of the most memorable aspects of the first two games.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)