Hahakomori

Hahakomori
I didn't see any thread talking about Hahakomori the mighty leaf insect of doom (just kidding), so I decided to make one.

For those who aren't aware, Hahakomori is one of the new 5th Generation Pokemon, a rather cute (and effeminate) bug. This thread is dedicated to the discussion of the Pokemon competitively, not whether it will or will not be banned (even though I doubt she'll be banned). Keep that in mind.
Code:
[B]#542 Hahakomori[/B]
Typing: Bug / Grass
Ability 1: 
   Swarm
    Boosts power of Bug-type moves 50% when at 1/3 HP or less.
Ability 2: 
   Chlorophyll
    This Pokemon's Speed is doubled in Sunlight. 
Ability 3: (Dream World)
   Dust-Proof
    This pokemon is unaffected by weather.

HP:  75
Atk: 103
Def: 80
SpA: 70
SpD: 70
Spe: 92

Pre-Evo Moves:
(Kurumiru)
Lv29: Endure
Lv36: Bug Buzz
Lv43: Flail

(Kurumayu)
Lv1:  Grasswhistle

Level-Up Moves:
Lv1:  False Swipe
Lv1:  Tackle
Lv1:  String Shot
Lv1:  Bug Bite
Lv1:  Razor Leaf
Lv8:  Bug Bite
Lv15: Razor Leaf
Lv22: Bug Resistance
Lv29: Slash
Lv32: Helping Hand 
Lv36: Leaf Blade
Lv39: X-Scissor
Lv43: Assemble Crew
Lv46: Swords Dance
Lv50: Leaf Storm

Bug Resistance: Bug Special PP: 20 / Power: 30 / Accuracy: 100
May decrease opponent's Special Attack by 1 stage.

Assemble Crew: Normal Other PP: 15 / Power: --- / Accuracy: 100
Makes target's ability the same as user's.

TM Moves:

TM01 - Claw Sharpen
TM04 - Calm Mind
TM06 - Toxic
TM10 - Hidden Power
TM11 - Sunny Day
TM15 - Hyper Beam
TM16 - Light Screen
TM17 - Protect
TM20 - Safeguard
TM21 - Frustration
TM22 - Solar Beam
TM27 - Return
TM32 - Double Team
TM33 - Reflect
TM40 - Aerial Ace
TM42 - Facade
TM44 - Rest
TM45 - Attract
TM48 - Troll
TM53 - Energy Ball
TM54 - False Swipe
TM65 - Shadow Claw
TM66 - Payback
TM67 - Get Even
TM68 - Giga Impact
TM70 - Flash
TM75 - Swords Dance
TM76 - Bug Resistance
TM81 - X-Scissor
TM84 - Poison Jab
TM85 - Dream Eater
TM86 - Grass Knot
TM87 - Swagger
TM90 - Substitute
HM01 - Cut

Claw Sharpen: Dark Other PP: 15 / Power: --- / Accuracy: ---
Raises Attack and accuracy 1 stage.  

Troll: Normal Special PP: 15 / Power: 60 / Accuracy: 100
Raises Base Power the more Pokemon you have with the attack.

Get Even: Normal Physical PP: 5 / Power: 70 / Accuracy: 100
Deals more damage if teammate was KO'd last turn.

Egg Moves:
Silver Wind
Screech
Razor Wind
Mind Reader
Agility
Me First
Baton Pass
Camouflage
Air Slash
  • Immune to Hail and Sandstorm thanks to Dust-Proof
    Immunity to weather is always useful.
  • Base 92 Speed that doubles in sunlight thanks to Chlorophyll
    92 Base Speed is rather fast for a grounded Bug, but nontheless Hahakomori's base speed can come pretty handy, outspeeding all the Pokémon that sit at 90 and below like Lucario and Doryuzuu for example and can bolster her speed even further (with either Agility or Chlorophyll) , opening the possibility for a very fast Baton Pass. It is worth mentionning that with no investment and a neutral nature, she hits 220 Speed, meaning she hits 440 after either Agility or Chlorophyll. To bad she doesn't have access to U-Turn.
  • Access to Swords Dance, Claw Sharpen, Calm Mind, Agility, and Baton Pass
    After a single Swords Dance, Hahakomori hits 610 (neutral) or 670 (+ Attack), Agility is useful to get the jump over Scarfed 'mons if Chlorophyll was nullified due to weather, Calm Mind and Claw Sharpen have their uses in a Baton Pass set.
  • Access to both Reflect and Light Screen
    She can attempt a DualScreen strategy, even though 75 / 80 / 70 defenses is not frail, it's not stellar either.
  • Weaknesses / Resistances
    Sadly, Bug typing means Hahakomori will be hampered by her nasty Stealth Rock weakness and will lose 25% of her health upon switching in, Bug-Grass means that she will be slaughtered by Flying (x4), Poison, Ice, Fire (x4) and Rock moves (Fire, Ice and Rock being her most common weaknesses), though she has key resistances to Water, Electric, Grass(x0,25) , Fighting and most notably Ground (x0,25) and thus has plenty of opportunities to switch in.

Here are some sets that could work (any help is very welcome as I'm not that much of a battler):

Hahakomori @ Life Orb
Ability: Chlorophyll / Dust Proof
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Nature: Jolly (+Spe, -SpA)
~ Swords Dance
~ X-Scissor
~ Leaf Blade
~ Baton Pass / Return / Shadow Claw / Payback / Agility

The EVs are straightforward, after a single Swords Dance Hahakomori leaves (what a bad pun) ugly marks on anything that doesn't resists her STABbed moves, after just a single Swords Dance our beloved leaf-insect will OHKO max HP / max Def + Hippowdon 100% of the time for what it's worth, and as you can expect any bulky water will fall to her mighty Swords Danced Leaf Blade while for example Ice Beam for standard Milotic will never OHKO Hahakomori even with Stealth Rock in play.
The fourth slot is open to whatever fits the best your team, Baton Pass to a teammate if Hahakomori meets an obstacle (which will happen often) , Return for a good 102 BP move, Shadow Claw is a another attacking option, Payback hits hard on the switch, Agility (provided Hahakomori has Dust-Proof) so Scarfed Tyranitar cannot ruin your fun anymore.
Aerial Ace is an option for Heracross and Toxicroak as well.
You have to be warned though that Bug + Grass with her only attacking options makes Hahakomori walled by a myriad of Pokémon (though a good number of them are Stealth Rock weak).

Hahakomori @ Salac Berry
Ability: Dust Proof
IVs: 29 HP
~ Swords Dance
~ Leaf Blade / X-Scissor
~ Flail
~ Substitute

Hahakomori has a perk over other Flailers / Reversalers, thanks to Dust-Proof (DW ability only), she has an immunity to Hail and Sandstorm, the bane to most of the Flail / Reversal users, not much else has to be said.

Hahakomori @ Life Orb
Ability: Chlorophyll / Dust Proof
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Nature: Hasty (+Spe, -Def)
~ Swords Dance
~ X-Scissor
~ Leaf Storm / Energy Ball / Grass Knot
~ Baton Pass / Air Slash / Hidden Power Ground / Leaf Blade

The mixed version of the attacking set, Hahakomori may have an higher Attack stat, but she does have a 140 BP STAB special move in the form of Leaf Storm, Hidden Power Ground can quickly dispose enemy Heatran who otherwise walks over the poor little fella all the day, Baton Pass as always is great for escaping a bad situation.

Hahakomori nearly outclasses Parasect by having better stats everywhere except in Special Defense, though Parasect have Spore, an immunity to Water (Dry Skin) and Brick-Break to boot.

Any correction is appreciated, feel free to post suggestions and discuss about Hahakomori potential.

So it's a stronger but slower Leafeon?
With a STAB X-Scissor, but I wouldn't have thought making to comparison between both of them, interesting comparison indeed.

EDIT: If I recall correctly Leafeon has base 110 in Atk, so it's stronger and faster than Hahakomori, oh well.

Ah, I completely ignored the fact that it was part Bug, my interest is official peaked. As soon as I scanned over this thread I instantly thought of two sets.

Hahakomori @ Salac Berry
Ability: Swarm
~ Swords Dance
~ X-Scissor
~ Return / Leaf Blade
~ Endure / Substitute

I just love Swarm abusing.

That's a shame about Leafeon, but something it does hold over Leafeon is Claw Sharpen, giving you the ability to boost your Attack and accuracy to a respectable percentage for Grass Whistle to be viable.

^^^ Exactly, we all know mighty leaf insect is going to shred anything into pieces with her Leaf Blade.

But to stay on-topic I think Hahakomori has a rathen barren movepool offensively, not as barren as Doredia but still.

That's a shame about Leafeon, but something it does hold over Leafeon is Claw Sharpen, giving you the ability to boost your Attack and accuracy to a respectable percentage for Grass Whistle to be viable.
Don't forget Agility and Calm Mind, though for the latter I don't see much use outside of Baton Pass thanks to her average 70 SpA.

Would a double boosting set be viable? :/

Hahakomori @ Life Orb
Ability: Dust Proof
EVs: 80 HP / 252 Atk / 176 Spe
Nature: Adamant (+Atk, -SpA)
~ Agility
~ X-Scissor
~ Return
~ Swords Dance

Haha could have alot of potential, I don't want to see it dropped to NU as a generic Sun abuser like most Bug and Grass types :/

But if it has to...

Hahakomori @ Life Orb
Ability: Chlorophyll
~ Sunny Day
~ Leaf Blade
~ X-Scissor
~ Return

A CB set could have some potential, but I think Haha is better off as a BP passer ):

Probably my favorite fifth gen Pokemon, it's just so cute.

Anyway, I wish this thing wasn't completely walled by steels and was faster. Ignoring that, I'm probably going to enjoy using it in lower tiers.

One option I think is getting overlooked is Camouflage. I know it's not a popular move, but hear me out. Camouflage will turn Hahakomori Normal when used anywhere competitively. This is good because one of Hahakomori's few resistances is Fighting, while that's Normal's only weakness.

Not that you always have to do this, but you can, especially if you can predict a switch.

In fact, I'd modify Wynought's set:

Hahakomori @ Life Orb
Ability: Chlorophyll
~ Camouflage
~ Leaf Blade
~ X-Scissor
~ Return

Still shaky on the EVs, though. 252 speed is a must, but it might not hurt to go for a more defensive spread, in case you predict wrong. But hey, 3 kinds of STAB.

Main issue with this is being utterly walled by Steels, which it could do without :\. Has merit as a Chlorophyll abuser with Claw Sharpen too, but Grasswhistle is its only option to cripple steels.

Shadow Claw is very viable to hit Shanderaa trying to trap you.

In theory that sounds good, but 75 / 80 / 70 isn't really scaring off anything or taking any powerful neutral attacks. The problem is Normal may only have 1 weakness, but it has no resists...So it's taking a big hit from anything thrown at it anyway. It would be quite quirky as an element of surprise but this just means Haha now has to be weary of Water / Grass type attacks.

rule 34 material right here. You and Doredia, meet your seniors, Gardevoir and Lopunny

Joking aside, a bug / grass with good ability and stats, good boosting moves and access to baton pass. If this thing doesn't make it to OU, it will be a valuable member of an UU passing team, acting as a second booster (or even primary, seeing the myriad of boosting moves it can learn) in case Leafeon goes down.

Great job for gamefreak filling gen V with epic bugs.

I rather like a Flail set to use with this, similiar to the one posted up on the first post. My only concern about Hahakomori is that it really has -zip- chance of killing any Steels. I can only really see this being of use in UU as either a Flail abuser, a Sun Supporter, or a Passer. As someone else said, a decent choice as a secondary in case Leafon falls.

It has access to Baton Pass and a lot of stat-up moves, so it could Pass, but it's too frail for that, I think... It may work in UU/NU, though.

Finally GameFreak have stepped up their game with the early bugs of the generation (i'm not actually sure hopw early they are available). Better than Beedrill's and Butterfree's and Duxtox's and Beautifly's stats in almost every way.

breh

強いだね
Hahakurimo

My favorite B/W pokemon... other than Kurumayu, its middle evo.

It seems to be strange that there's a thread about freaking Miruhoggu and not about this poke... I'm betting there's a thread, lol

As always, I do not want to post its full moveset so I'll just point out what's viable (unfortunately, there's not much).

Hahakurimo
75/103/80/70/70/92
Bug/Grass
Abilities:
Swarm: Bug-type moves' powers are raised by 1.5 when health is less than or equal to 33%.
Chlorophyll: Speed is doubled in Sunny Day.
Dustproof: This Pokemon and its teammates are undamaged by weather effects.

Level Up:

Leaf Blade
X-Scissor
Swords Dance

TM:

Claw Sharpen
Toxic
Return
Light Screen
Reflect
Shadow Claw
Poison Jab

Egg

Agility
Baton Pass

Pre-Evolution

Grasswhistle
Endure
Flail

[Overview]
Hahakurimo is a strange Pokemon at best. It is blessed with a lackluster typing of Bug-Grass, but bestowed with a good offensive movepool and two good choices of ability. Baton Pass and Swords Dance are valuable moves to it, letting it give away its boosts to a more capable sweeper. Hahakurimo, unlike most of the early bugs, is given stats that actually allow it to become what it is intended to be - a physical sweeper. It is blessed with decently high attack and good Speed that allows it to outspeed the 80 and 90 Speed tiers, a useful advantage. Unfortunately, when looked at closely, Hahakurimo begins to resemble an inferior Leafeon with just a bit of Scyther mixed in for good measure. It barely avoids being outclassed by its Bug-type and Grass-type brethren through its interesting typing and movepool.

[SET]
name: Swords Dance
move 1: Swords Dance
move 2: Leaf Blade
move 3: X-Scissor / Return
move 4: Baton Pass
item: Life Orb
ability: Chlorophyll
nature: Jolly
evs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe

Hi, my name is Leafeon. Oh wait, I have STAB on X-Scissor! This set works just like Leafeon does - attempt to get a Swords Dance up and either switch from a faster opponent, Baton Pass your boosts away on a faster opponent, or try to sweep your opponent altogether. Grass and Normal have surprisingly good coverage together, only being resisted by slow Steel-types... who are, of course, prime pokemon to Baton Pass out of. Bug and Grass, while also not very effective on Fire-types as well, gives Hahakurimo a second STAB move and an opportunity to hit harder on bulky Psychic-types like Musharna.

[SET]
name: Agility
move 2: Agility
move 3: Leaf Blade

Hi, my name is Baton Pass Scyther. Oh wait, I have STAB on Leaf Blade! Basically, this set works much like a slower Baton Pass Scyther with a different STAB type and a far nicer typing. Like the other one, set up an Agility and go from there. Set up a Swords Dance against a wall, Baton Pass to a Shanderaa (or another slow, powerful sweeper) against Steel-types like Nattorei, and Leaf Blade anything weak to Grass or sufficiently frail. Sunny Day Support is very appreciated on this set, stopping it from being setup fodder for Doryuuzu.

[SET]
name: Claw Sharpen
move 1: Claw Sharpen
move 2: Grasswhistle
move 4: Baton Pass / Return

Hi, I'm Parasect! Oh wait, I'm far faster and have terrible accuracy on my sleep move! Well, here's the obligatory gimmick Claw Sharpen set, I.E., Claw Sharpen + low accuracy move. While Clwa Sharpen does not do much to make Grasswhistle useable, Focus Blast Accuracy Grasswhistle and a boost to Attack are not bad at all. Again, Leaf Blade is reliable STAB, while Baton Pass is used to pass the boosts to something else; Return has good coverage when used alongside Leaf Blade.​

[SET]
name: Flail (DDRmaster's Set)
move 1: Swords Dance / Agility
move 3: Substitute / Endure
move 4: Flail
item: Liech Berry / Salac Berry
ability: Dustproof

With Dustproof, Substitute, and Flail, Hahakurimo becomes one of the few users of Flail impervious to all types of weather. However, it still has large problems with priority moves like Mach Punch. In any case, Swords Dance and Agility are used to set up the sweep, Substitute is used to get down to 3 HP (Flail still has the same power), and Leaf Blade and Flail are its methods of sweeping.​

Any suggestions?​

well you bet right! there is a thread about him! anyway... In my opinion hahkurimo has nice cholorophyll action going for him! however... now that Leafeon also gets it and of course Tangrowth always had it... I'm not sure what kurimo will do well especially with a bad typing. He'll be threatining in lower tiers for sure though.

Athenodoros

Official Smogon Know-It-All
Hi, my name is any fire type pokemon (looking at you, Heatran). Oh wait, I have a 4x super effective STAB move and you can't touch me because of my 2-4x resists on your STABs. I can't see this being used that much just because it is walled by so much.

Im not gonna lie, this poke isnt really extraordinary, but it is pretty interesting. What is its other ability?

breh

強いだね
Hi, my name is any fire type pokemon (looking at you, Heatran). Oh wait, I have a 4x super effective STAB move and you can't touch me because of my 2-4x resists on your STABs. I can't see this being used that much just because it is walled by so much.
[SET]
name: Swords Dance
move 3: X-Scissor / Return
[SET]
name: Agility
move 2: Agility
[SET]
name: Claw Sharpen
move 1: Claw Sharpen
move 2: Grasswhistle
move 4: Baton Pass / Return
My god there's a reason I slashed Baton Pass on every set, lol

Hahakurimo has terrible coverage, but it's not hopeless. Like I said, Leafeon has similar sweeping stats (admittedly far higher defense though) and movepool, but it's pretty good, able to switch in on Milotic and scare it out (at least in 4th gen) with its STAB Leaf Blade.

Added Abilities; I knew I forgot something...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)