Jolteon

Just wanted to bump the set as i havent gotten any comments on it yet.
I hope that's not what Swimming Goggles does, because if it is, the Sleep Talk Priority thing needs to have been addressed. I mean, a Pokemon that shuffles you and is only vulnerable to priority moves and Sandstorm/Hail? C'mon man. You'd have to get lucky and have a priory user (or a Deoxys Attack Forme) randomly switched in to beat that.

Broken, in a very bad way.

The electric u-turn doesn't let jolteon switch against swampert since it doesn't affect it... Which was one of the main points of baton pass...

Stick with baton pass, people

Nobody seems to have mentioned Rechargeable Battery yet - if you use this alongside Jolteons Volt Absorb, either to absorb Thunderbolts Gyaravire style or as part of a Double/Triple Electric team

Though I think it raises Attack, so probably pointless on a Special Attacker.
I believe a 1.5 boost is enough to make Jolteon a competent and surprising physical attacker. Its only slightly less than Infernape's attack stat. Doesn't have a whole lot to work with however.

The electric u-turn doesn't let jolteon switch against swampert since it doesn't affect it... Which was one of the main points of baton pass...

Stick with baton pass, people
You can just switch out, or if it has a little bit of damage OHKO with Life Orb HP Grass: 89.8% - 106.7%. Nuttre seems like a very good partner for Jolteon, as Jolteon can scout with the Electric-type U-turn, and if something like Tyranitar comes in, you can get some layers of entry hazards or hit something very hard with STAB Gyro Ball / Power Whip.

because sleep talk, the crux of the swimming goggles phazer, is not a tm anymore in gen 5, and is thus incompatible with dream world quick feet.
Oh, for that purpose. I thought that you meant the item and ability were illegal. You mean with sleep talk.

That doesn't hinder your broken Jolteon set any, though. Seriously, allowing Sleep Talk Priority exploitation like that would be a major oversight by Gamefreak. You can't reliably stop that set.

Edit: I see. A sleeping quick feet Jolteon would outspeed everything slower than a scarfed 130. Actually, even they're outsped if the goggles boost Jolteon's speed.

Now assuming that swimming goggles DOES work like we think (and i hope to god it doesnt), here are my reasons for running jolteon as your swimming goggles phazer over aero and bat;
1. It can come in on any electric attack and start phazing (though this is true of the other two with ground attacks)
2. It isnt destroyed by twave
3. it isnt weak to SR
4. It is resistant to gen 4's most prominent priority user, scizor's bp
5. it only has one total weakness

only disadvantage would be that its shut down by soundproof users.

@charlemagne; if sleep talk and quick feet were legal it would be the best combination, allowing it to outspeed the other 130 sleep phazers and quite a few scarfed pokemon.

Edit; you ninjad my comment towards you.

Jolteon not getting Eleci ball is retarded, but hopefully he'll be able to attain it at some point within this generation.

On the subject of Volt Change, Jolteon can use Aiming Mark to make it work even against grounds, but it'll lose the power of Choice specs or Life orb in the process...
Cheer up is like Growtheon from Crystal on steroids though, now it can raise it's Sp. Atk for a sweep or Baton Pass to any kind of attacker on the spot thanks to its great speed!

Now assuming that swimming goggles DOES work like we think (and i hope to god it doesnt), here are my reasons for running jolteon as your swimming goggles phazer over aero and bat;
1. It can come in on any electric attack and start phazing (though this is true of the other two with ground attacks)
3. it isnt weak to SR

@charlemagne; if sleep talk and quick feet were legal it would be the best combination, allowing it to outspeed the other 130 sleep phazers and quite a few scarfed pokemon.

Edit; you ninjad my comment towards you.
I can't possibly see how that wouldn't be banned. It would ruin the game.

1. You'll know every Pokemon on your opponent's team.
2. With hazards up, by the time Jolteon runs out of Sleep Talk PP, your opponents team will be badly mangled and poisoned.
3. You can't even reliably attack it.

I can't see GF screwing up that badly.

PK Gaming

Persona 5
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Jolteon got shafted badly in this gen. Lightning rod + Electra ball would have been perfect for him. And with all of the electrics gaining Immunity to electric type moves, Jolteon's niche as an "electric check" is slightly damaged Still base 130 speed is nothing to scoff at, but I reckon people will be moving towards Raikou as their premier electric SpA.

Volt Change on jolteon is amazing. Great scouting capabilities to be exploited. Great for bluffing on a switch into something expecting Hidden Power, and throwing out a specs volt change.

Greatly looking forward to abusing this move lol.

Jolteon got shafted badly in this gen. Lightning rod + Electra ball would have been perfect for him. And with all of the electrics gaining Immunity to electric type moves, Jolteon's niche as an "electric check" is slightly damaged Still base 130 speed is nothing to scoff at, but I reckon people will be moving towards Raikou as their premier electric SpA.
I wouldn't say it's new trait is without use. If swimming goggles work how people are speculating then Jolteon will be the best shuffler in the game. Though, if it does work how those are speculating, then I don't know how long that item will be in the metagame.

3. it isnt weak to SR

as mentioned in the swim goggles thread sleep shuffle jolteon would be shut down by a layer of poison spikes (unless jolteon was the lead) whereas aerodactyl is not.

According to the OP's movepool, Jolteon lost Baton Pass, yet he's using Baton Pass in a set? Surely something is wrong there.
Dusk you can trade 4th Gen Pokes over to 5th Gen, that has been confirmed, but not back over. So Jolteon can get Baton Pass but not with a 5th Gen Egg Move. Assuming it doesn't get Baton Pass as a 5th gen Egg move.

Dusk you can trade 4th Gen Pokes over to 5th Gen, that has been confirmed, but not back over. So Jolteon can get Baton Pass but not with a 5th Gen Egg Move. Assuming it doesn't get Baton Pass as a 5th gen Egg move.
Um, Eevee learns Baton Pass by level up. It's even updated in the OP.

Jolteon has always been one of my favorite Eeveelutions, it's nice to see it received at least some love.
On the quick feet set, I probably wouldn't bother with Timid, much of the speed will be wasted anyway and because it's not using LO or Specs, it can use all the power it can get.

On a side note, this electric u-turn, is it special or physical?
If it's special, that'd be awesome. If it's not.. Probably better off Dry Baton Passing when scouting.

Because of Jolteon's low attack stat, it'll hit like a wet noodle, and that's not worth risking the immunity from hitting ground pokemon.
However, assuming its damage is equal to u-turn, and it's special, it'd be worth it, because even though grounds will still be immune, everything else will take a hefty amount of damage from it.

Jolteon has always been one of my favorite Eeveelutions, it's nice to see it received at least some love.
On the quick feet set, I probably wouldn't bother with Timid, much of the speed will be wasted anyway and because it's not using LO or Specs, it can use all the power it can get.

On a side note, this electric u-turn, is it special or physical?
If it's special, that'd be awesome. If it's not.. Probably better off Dry Baton Passing when scouting.

Because of Jolteon's low attack stat, it'll hit like a wet noodle, and that's not worth risking the immunity from hitting ground pokemon.
However, assuming its damage is equal to u-turn, and it's special, it'd be worth it, because even though grounds will still be immune, everything else will take a hefty amount of damage from it.
Special with Base 70 power :D

ghost

formerly goldenghost
is a Site Content Manageris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
LC Leader
http://www.smogon.com/forums/showthread.php?t=79166

This bro is Jolteon's biggest competitor.

While Borutorosu is not the only Electric/Flying type to receive Volt Change (Zapdos learns the TM as well) or the first electric type to get a move like this (Zapdos had U-Turn before), but the thing Borutorosu has on Zapdos is 11 points of critical speed, and what he has on Jolteon here is 15 more special attack and a hell of a lot more attack. In order to not become an inferior version of Borutorosu, you have to abuse Jolteon's colossal speed to a maximum: With the classic Choice Specs set.

Jolteon @ Choice Specs
Volt Absorb/Quick Feet
Timid

-Thunderbolt
-Shadow Ball
-Hidden Power Ice / Grass
-Volt Change

Personally, I enjoy the idea of Jolteon being able to do something like this:
Jolteon @ Life Orb/Rechargable Battery
Nature: Timid
EV's: 4 Def/252 Sp. A/252 Spe
-Thunderbolt
-HP Ice/HP Grass/Shadow Ball
-Cheer Up
-Baton Pass

Essentially, you play Jolteon to force a switch with it's deadly ass Thunderbolt, and you Cheer Up on the switch. Now they've swapped in a counter, and you're free to BP that off to something that can use the boost. Since Cheer Up is +1 in both offenses, it doesn't require a niche team to use this on, merely synergy. Rechargable Battery is another option for Jolt, but I'm not entirely sure if it conflicts with Volt Absorb. If it doesn't, in theory, you could get the +1 atk/+1 speed, then cheer up on the switch, and be passing +2 atk/+1 sp. a/+1 speed off to pretty much anything. Gyarados will appreciate the hell out of that.
The best thing about this particular set is, as I mentioned, you don't have to be running a dedicated Baton Pass team. You're essentially using Jolteon as a boosting scout that's still offensively competent on its own.

IMO, the Eeveelutions have always suffered from shallow movepools, and Jolteon getting a boosting move is a lot bigger than people seem to realize.

Personally, I enjoy the idea of Jolteon being able to do something like this:
Jolteon @ Life Orb/Rechargable Battery
Nature: Timid
EV's: 4 Def/252 Sp. A/252 Spe
-Thunderbolt
-HP Ice/HP Grass/Shadow Ball
-Cheer Up
-Baton Pass

Essentially, you play Jolteon to force a switch with it's deadly ass Thunderbolt, and you Cheer Up on the switch. Now they've swapped in a counter, and you're free to BP that off to something that can use the boost. Since Cheer Up is +1 in both offenses, it doesn't require a niche team to use this on, merely synergy. Rechargable Battery is another option for Jolt, but I'm not entirely sure if it conflicts with Volt Absorb. If it doesn't, in theory, you could get the +1 atk/+1 speed, then cheer up on the switch, and be passing +2 atk/+1 sp. a/+1 speed off to pretty much anything. Gyarados will appreciate the hell out of that.
The best thing about this particular set is, as I mentioned, you don't have to be running a dedicated Baton Pass team. You're essentially using Jolteon as a boosting scout that's still offensively competent on its own.

IMO, the Eeveelutions have always suffered from shallow movepools, and Jolteon getting a boosting move is a lot bigger than people seem to realize.
Every Eeveelution got Cheer Up, but I agree that it can become great for a BP set. Also, Jolteon already had a boosting move: Charge Beam, which worked well with mine.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)