Pokémon Keldeo

Status
Not open for further replies.
Since then, it only got a few nerfs this generation in the form of the Hydro Pump base power nerf and the rain nerf.
Last gen, counters could be taken out with hidden power or a rain boosted hydro pump. Hidden power has lost a very significant 10 BP as well. Plus there are several fairy types that wall Keldeo.

Keldeo was even suspected last generation.
That is because it was difficult to wall. It has lost that niche.

Not to mention, most of its best counters have gone down in usage since last generation.
You do realise that this is solid evidence against Keldeo, right?

Keldeo is mediocre? lol, you can't possibly be serious.

Yes, I did forget about Rotom-Wash, but considering the fact that they play entirely different roles, Rotom-Wash doesn't exactly outclass Keldeo. Did you seriously say that Suicune is better than Keldeo? What are you talking about? Suicune is barely even OU viable. Keldeo was even suspected last generation. Since then, it only got a few nerfs this generation in the form of the Hydro Pump base power nerf and the rain nerf. Not to mention, most of its best counters have gone down in usage since last generation. It definitely has more than two viable moves (seriously, where did you get that idea from?), getting good enough coverage with its STABs alone and having Hidden Power and Icy Wind to hit the few Pokemon that resist its STABs. I highly doubt you've ever used Keldeo or faced someone (good) using it, because Keldeo just wrecks things. Just naming other Water-types and saying "lol they're better than Keldeo" (they aren't, by the way) and then calling Keldeo bad is a terrible attempt at an argument.
Are you honestly saying that Suicune is better than Keldeo! I mean, CroCune is good, but Scarf Keldeo / Specs Keldeo / CM Keldeo just beats shit.
Yeah I seriously said CroCune is better than Keldeo. First off, Specs Keldeo might be good but its basically support. All its good for is firing of nukes in secret sword/hydro pump (its only two viable moves as I said) either of which are incredibly predictable based on what you have in at the moment, and both of which have common resists in the meta. CroCune is a set up sweeper that you can build a team around which to me makes it a better mon. Then you have SubCM Keldeo, it's other viable set, which is certainly good and probably underused with dual stab and a way to beat other CM sweepers in secret sword. Again though CroCune outclasses it because it has reliable recovery and status immunity, as well as incredible natural bulk which Keldeo would kill for. Keldeo is just too spongy to do much of anything consistently this gen and that's why people aren't using it. I haven't faced someone good using it? I'm 40 on the showdown ladder right now, not to be a dick or anything, just making the point that I've faced plenty of good people using Keldeo. I can also tell you that pretty much none of those players use it anymore. What I honestly think is Keldeo's problem this gen is that it has too much natural speed. It sounds really weird to say considering what you use it for, but with so much priority (especially flying priority) 108 speed really isn't that great anymore. It costs Keldeo a lot in terms of its natural bulk (which is what you'll be using since you aren't investing in it) which means it gets worn down quick, not to mention it has an absolutely worthless ability. If I want a specs user, latios completely outclasses it. If I want a CM user, I have Reuniclus or CroCune. The final nail in the coffin, HO is pretty much dead in my eyes.

I agree with Suicune being better in general but sub/CM Keldeo has much more immediate power and can wall break early on even if he's against a team that he can't sweep. Offensive teams will prefer Keldeo, stall/bulky teams want Suicune.

Yeah I seriously said CroCune is better than Keldeo. First off, Specs Keldeo might be good but its basically support. All its good for is firing of nukes in secret sword/hydro pump (its only two viable moves as I said) either of which are incredibly predictable based on what you have in at the moment, and both of which have common resists in the meta. CroCune is a set up sweeper that you can build a team around which to me makes it a better mon. Then you have SubCM Keldeo, it's other viable set, which is certainly good and probably underused with dual stab and a way to beat other CM sweepers in secret sword. Again though CroCune outclasses it because it has reliable recovery and status immunity, as well as incredible natural bulk which Keldeo would kill for. Keldeo is just too spongy to do much of anything consistently this gen and that's why people aren't using it. I haven't faced someone good using it? I'm 40 on the showdown ladder right now, not to be a dick or anything, just making the point that I've faced plenty of good people using Keldeo. I can also tell you that pretty much none of those players use it anymore. What I honestly think is Keldeo's problem this gen is that it has too much natural speed. It sounds really weird to say considering what you use it for, but with so much priority (especially flying priority) 108 speed really isn't that great anymore. It costs Keldeo a lot in terms of its natural bulk (which is what you'll be using since you aren't investing in it) which means it gets worn down quick, not to mention it has an absolutely worthless ability. If I want a specs user, latios completely outclasses it. If I want a CM user, I have Reuniclus or CroCune. The final nail in the coffin, HO is pretty much dead in my eyes.
''Both of which have common resists''. What resists may i ask are you even talking about.
252 SpA Choice Specs Keldeo Hydro Pump vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Gyarados: 134-158 (40.3 - 47.5%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
252 SpA Choice Specs Keldeo Secret Sword vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Latios: 124-147 (41 - 48.6%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
252 SpA Choice Specs Keldeo Hydro Pump vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Slowbro: 161-190 (40.8 - 48.2%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

All 2hkoed after stealth rock, so much for resisting.

252 SpA Choice Specs Keldeo Hydro Pump vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Salamence: 161-190 (48.6 - 57.4%) -- 94.1% chance to 2HKO

Doesnt even need any prior damage. Specs Keldeo is mindless, theres absolutely zero prediction involved, even mega venusaur is taking 30%+ from hydro pump meaning you can actually get around it with some prior damage. Only stuff like amoonguss, slowking (lol) and jellicent can consistently switch in this monster. Dont underestimate what is easily the best choice specs user in the entire tier and specially dont go around comparing it to something like suicune which is a completely different thing altogether. If you think HO is dead i am honestly not sure what kind of players are you facing.

Last edited:
''Both of which have common resists''. What resists may is ask are you even talking about.
252 SpA Choice Specs Keldeo Hydro Pump vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Gyarados: 134-158 (40.3 - 47.5%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
252 SpA Choice Specs Keldeo Secret Sword vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Latios: 124-147 (41 - 48.6%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
252 SpA Choice Specs Keldeo Hydro Pump vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Slowbro: 161-190 (40.8 - 48.2%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

All 2hkoed after stealth rock, so much for resisting.

252 SpA Choice Specs Keldeo Hydro Pump vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Salamence: 161-190 (48.6 - 57.4%) -- 94.1% chance to 2HKO

Doesnt even need any prior damage. Specs Keldeo is mindless, theres absolutely zero prediction involved, even mega venusaur is taking 30%+ from hydro pump meaning you can actually get around it with some prior damage. Only stuff like amoonguss, slowking (lol) and jellicent can consistently switch in this monster. Dont underestimate what is easily the best choice specs user in the entire tier and specially dont go around comparing it to something like suicune which is a completely different thing altogether. If you think HO is dead i am honestly not sure what kind of players are you facing.
Those calcs are pretty much cherry picked to support your argument. Latios outspeeds Keldeo and will OHKO in return if Keldeo stays in, or can roost if Keldeo switches out. Also, all the Slowbros I see in OU have assault vest, which turns that hydro pump into a 3hko at best with rocks (guaranteed 4hko without rocks).

I think Keldeo's great but choosing misleading calcs to "prove" your point doesn't add to the discussion at all.

Those calcs are pretty much cherry picked to support your argument. Latios outspeeds Keldeo and will OHKO in return if Keldeo stays in, or can roost if Keldeo switches out. Also, all the Slowbros I see in OU have assault vest, which turns that hydro pump into a 3hko at best with rocks (guaranteed 4hko without rocks).

I think Keldeo's great but choosing misleading calcs to "prove" your point doesn't add to the discussion at all.
These calcs prove that simply resisting keldeo's stabs does not mean you can consistently switch in them. If anything youre the one cherry picking with this ''all slowbros i see'' statement.

These calcs prove that simply resisting keldeo's stabs does not mean you can consistently switch in them. If anything youre the one cherry picking with this ''all slowbros i see'' statement.
Ok, lets pretend you have a lefties Slowbro. You can still take 2 hydro pumps, thunder wave, then slack off until you get a miss or a full paralyze. Even if the Keldeo user switches out as soon as you went to Slowbro, you will have had 2 turns of lefties recovery + regenerator when you switch out healing you for 45% of your HP, while hydro pump does 48% at the very most. Even a non AV Slowbro is not losing to any Keldeos any time soon barring miracle crits or lots of hazards.

Ok, lets pretend you have a lefties Slowbro. You can still take 2 hydro pumps, thunder wave, then slack off until you get a miss or a full paralyze. Even if the Keldeo user switches out as soon as you went to Slowbro, you will have had 2 turns of lefties recovery + regenerator when you switch out healing you for 45% of your HP, while hydro pump does 48% at the very most. Even a non AV Slowbro is not losing to any Keldeos any time soon barring miracle crits or lots of hazards.
Keldeo moveset doesnt consist solely of stab moves, he can easily 2hko slowbro with hidden power if he predicts. The point of my post was to show that even the toughest resists can still take a lot of damage which is the reason keldeo is so mindless and requires absolutely no prediction to be used succesfully.

252 SpA Choice Specs Keldeo Hydro Pump vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Slowbro: 161-190 (40.8 - 48.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock, 1 layer of Spikes, and Leftovers recovery

24% of prior damage is all you need to beat slowbro, and considering how many things he switch into, its not easy to keep it at full 100% even with regenerator.

Btw:
| Leftovers 71.154% | | Assault Vest 12.383%
http://paste.ubuntu.com/6677789/

Keldeo moveset doesnt consist solely of stab moves, he can easily 2hko slowbro with hidden power if he predicts. The point of my post was to show that even the toughest resists can still take a lot of damage which is the reason keldeo is so mindless and requires absolutely no prediction to be used succesfully.

252 SpA Choice Specs Keldeo Hydro Pump vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Slowbro: 161-190 (40.8 - 48.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock, 1 layer of Spikes, and Leftovers recovery

24% of prior damage is all you need to beat slowbro, and considering how many things he switch into, its not easy to keep it at full 100% even with regenerator.

Btw:
| Leftovers 71.154% | | Assault Vest 12.383%
http://paste.ubuntu.com/6677789/
Yes, we've established that lots of hazards can turn 2hkos into 3hkos. But with smart play and some hazard removal, balanced and defensive teams have plenty of switch ins for Keldeo, including Slowbro. Offensive teams don't, but Keldeo has always been great against offensive teams, and if anything the addition of Talonflame, mega Pinsir, and Aegislash and the unbanning of Tornadus-T, Thundurus and Genesect have helped keep Keldeo in check for offense this gen. Mindless, maybe, but he's mindless only because his move pool is shit. If he was like Genesect and had every move he ever wanted, he would be less mindless but a hell of a lot better.

Specs keldeo is an absolute monster and definately better than suicune. What this gen did is make it much harder to sweep with keldeo. However, thats never what keldeo was best at. Specs keldeo can punch massive holes, even in pokemon that resist its stabs but lack recovery, such as azuramill. At wall breaking, on both the physical and the special side, specs keldeo is nearly unmatched and one of the best in OU. Yes there are new checks this gen, but its hard counters (celebi, jellicent, tentacruel, latios) are much rarer this generation. Specs Keldeo thrived last gen on tyranitar teams anyways, and the sand nerf helped it on those teams, as its no longer taking constant passive damage. Also, on the specs set, modest nature is acceptable and hits even harder, though if 108 is the fastest base speed on your team, you'll typically want to stick with timid. And its movepool is still pretty fantastic for what it does. Secret sword and hydro pump is what makes it so damn good. Yes, it doesn't get ice beam, but a lot of good pokes don't have every single thing they want. Finally, pokes like slowbro/slowking are pretty rare in OU.

There's a reason it's still A on the OU viability thread, while suicune isn't even on the list yet, and won't be nearly that high when it does appear. Not to mention that they have completely different purposes.

Not to mention, most of its best counters have gone down in usage since last generation.
You do realise that this is solid evidence against Keldeo, right?
Only solid evidence that keldeo can be extremely effective now and that it is criminally underused.

Last edited:
Man I'm so glad this guy has faded from the spotlight he was a pain to take out.

On a more serious note, all this talk about crocune vs keldeo is apples and oranges.

Yes both can run calm mind but they're doing it for exact opposite reasons.

Suicune does it to patch it's special defense, the special attack is just an extra perk, a side show, bonus achievement whatever you want to call it. Crocune is a good stalling set, due to the high defenses and rest. Scald/hydro pump/surf and the sp attack boosts are so that it isn't dead weight.

Keldeo on the other hand uses calm mind to pick up the sp attack boost for its powerful stab attacks and hidden power coverage.

The special defense gains are rewarding only situationally and even then, not enough to make you confident to tank special hits.

Both are very good but please don't pit them against one another as their uses are very different.

Although off the record, 1v1 I put my money on crocune XD

I really like this Keldeo set:

Keldeo @ Leftovers
Trait: Justified
EVs: 248 HP / 236 Def / 24 SAtk
Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Scald
- Secret Sword
- Rest
- Sleep Talk

It deals really well with pokes like Genesect, Scizor, Heatran, Greninja, Landorus-T, Tyranitar, Bisharp, Gliscor... Scald also helps a lot burning annoying walls like Ferrothorn/Rotom-W/Mandibuzz... It also means you're not setup fodder for things like SD Garchomp.

I really cant understand you guys that are Keldeo haters or something like that... I've have been using keldeo for great success in OU (life orb or specs), and its power is very nice, most of times when you simply predict a rotom coming and fire THAT SECRET SWORD. I really liked using it with mega venusaur, getting lots of victories.

And nowadays, surf is perfectly viable, hurts lots of things. I just use hydro pump when i really need an ohko or something specific.

Have we considered Coba Berry? Considering how popular Mega Pinsir and Talonflame are it sounds like a decent investment.

+2 252 Atk Aerilate Mega Pinsir Quick Attack vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Coba Berry Keldeo: 211-250 (65.3 - 77.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 Atk Aerilate Mega Pinsir Return vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Coba Berry Keldeo: 271-319 (83.9 - 98.7%) -- 37.5% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
252 Atk Choice Band Talonflame Brave Bird vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Coba Berry Keldeo: 234-276 (72.4 - 85.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Neither can kill you with Stealth Rocks. Aqua Jet can help you secure a safe 2HKO on Mega Pinsir with +0 Hydro Pump since your priority will be faster. But there is technically a possibility to OHKO if the Pinsir is ballsy and goes for Return. This can be changed though if we take a little SpA EVs and put them into Df.

With Calm Mind and his two STABs he can retain a fair amount of power and the Coba Berry lets him take of would be counters which can put them in a really bad spot for the rest of the match, no longer able to reliably revenge many things.

Keldeo@Coba Berry
Justified
Timid 40 Df / 216 SpA / 252 Spd
~ Hydro Pump
~ Secret Sword
~ Calm Mind
~ Aqua Jet/Hidden Power/Icy Wind

40 Df EVs make Pinsir's Return a mere 6% chance to OHKO with Stealth Rock, I think any more investment begins to hamper his offensive presence too much. However if this scenario is too unlikely for you than standard 252/252 spread is still really good. Aqua Jet is to secure the kill on Mega Pinsir if you didn't get a Calm Mind in.

Reactions: Lee
Specs Keldeo is good right now because it is one of the only Fighting types that isn't completely walled by Aegislash. It is also an offensive water types that can take quite a chunk out of Rotom-W. These are both two of the most popular pivots in the tier. I wouldn't really use CM because of Talonflame and Mega-Pinsir, which are both pretty popular.

252 SpA Choice Specs Keldeo Hydro Pump vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Aegislash-Shield: 187-222 (57.7 - 68.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

If SR is down, Keldeo will 2HKO even if Aegislash uses King's Shield.

252 SpA Choice Specs Keldeo Secret Sword vs. 248 HP / 232+ Def Rotom-W: 145-172 (47.8 - 56.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

A lot of Keldeo's checks have gone down in usage, outside of Latios and Latias (best defoggers), since last gen because they provide easy switchin's to Aegislash and Bisharp, which are premeir offensive threats for HO teams right now. As a matter of fact, this is what makes Specs Keldeo + Aegislash an extremely good core. There is a lot of wallbreaking power between the two and the counters for each partner are easily switched into by the other. He's a match in higher level play with this core in action: Week 1 SPL Match boudouche vs PDC (PDC using Keldeo+Aegislash).

Jaroda why are you adding defensive EV's for return when keldeo naturally outspeeds mega-pinsir? In addition, Aqua Jet is a terrible choice. Not only is it pitifully weak coming off uninvested base 72 attack, but you don't even outspeed Talonflame's Brave Bird with it...

The choice specs in the OP should look more like this:

Keldeo @ choice specs
Trait: Justified
252 SpA/ 4 SpD (so genesect gets attack boost)/ 252 Spe
Nature: Timid
-Hydro Pump
-Secret Sword
-Icy wind
-Surf

HP ghost is pointless this generation as with the HP nerf it can't 2HKO any Jellicent anymore. Not to mention that Jellicent, latias, and celebi are nowhere near as common as last generation. Missing with hydro pump is a bitch and it has low PP so its good to have surf as its most powerful accurate move. Seeing that Keldeo is meant to be a wallbreaker, the 10 BP advantage surf has over scald is important, especially since scald only burns 30% of the time.

Last edited:
Jaroda why are you adding defensive EV's for return when keldeo naturally outspeeds mega-pinsir? In addition, Aqua Jet is a terrible choice. Not only is it pitifully weak coming off uninvested base 72 attack, but you don't even outspeed Talonflame's Brave Bird with it...
Because Hydro Pump can not OHKO without rocks or a Calm Mind up, so its added insurance since Pinsir can use Return, survive Hydro Pump, and then finish you with Quick Attack if you don't have Aqua Jet. I did mention it was specifically for this purpose.

Because Hydro Pump can not OHKO without rocks or a Calm Mind up, so its added insurance since Pinsir can use Return, survive Hydro Pump, and then finish you with Quick Attack if you don't have Aqua Jet. I did mention it was specifically for this purpose.
Thats much to specific of a situation to actually bother yourself with lowering keldeo's offensive power. Most pinsirs will just use quick attack first anyways. This amount of investment won't do a whole lot for keldeo other than this, and its going to end up taking more damage in the long run with its lowered offensive output. Also aqua jet is much too underwhelming and niche to deserve a mention, icy wind is much better.

If we consider using Keldeo to fight a battle which it can't win, we might as well start playing the physical variant which does have some good coverage moves but still sucks and is a waste of Keldeo's true potencial as special attacker.

First of all I'd like to say hello to everyone as this is my first post after being a lurker for so long and finally decided to actually take part in the community :] Hello, everyone.

Been team testing a lot on showdown and by far I've found one of the best sets for Keldeo that's worked out for me is this:

Keldeo @ Choice Specs
Ability: Justified
Shiny: Yes (Why the hell not?)
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 SAtk / 4 SDef
Timid Nature
- Icy Wind
- Hidden Power [Psychic]
- Secret Sword
- Scald (or Surf)

Basically it's like most of the Choice Specs sets you've seen around here. Biggest difference here is the usage of H.P. Psychic which I thought of after seeing the amount of usage Mega-Venusaur (thick fat is a b*tch) and Tentacruel have been getting. Time and time again the obvious switch when Keldeo has been sent out was Mega-Venusaur / Tentacruel so I decided to use that to my advantage.

252 SpA Choice Specs Keldeo Hidden Power Psychic vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Tentacruel: 168-198 (46.1 - 54.3%) -- 97.7% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Black Sludge recovery

252 SpA Choice Specs Keldeo Hidden Power Psychic vs. 252 HP / 252 SpD Tentacruel: 136-162 (37.3 - 44.5%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Stealth Rock and Black Sludge recovery

252 SpA Choice Specs Keldeo Hidden Power Psychic vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Mega Venusaur: 168-198 (46.1 - 54.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

252 SpA Choice Specs Keldeo Hidden Power Psychic vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Mega Venusaur: 124-148 (34 - 40.6%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Stealth Rock (Though the fully specially defensive Mega-Venu's aren't that common as it seems)

I find the heightened usage of Poison types this Gen makes this fairly viable. Keldeo's shallow move-pool somewhat forces Keldeo to put a slot for Hydro Miss or Hidden Power. Other Hidden Powers such as H.P. Ghost isn't quite useful as it was anymore (as the others stated). H.P. Ice is clearly outclassed by Icy Wind. H.P. Electric was my choice of Hidden power before. Until I realized I rarely touched it.

252 SpA Choice Specs Keldeo Hidden Power Electric vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Mega Charizard Y: 174-206 (58.3 - 69.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252 SpA Choice Specs Keldeo Scald vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Mega Charizard Y in Sun: 170-204 (57 - 68.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

H.P. Electric does hit things like Azumarill, Gyarados and Mandibuzz like a truck but the 30% Scald burn is enough for me. Hydro pump hits like a truck, there's no doubt about that, I just get tired of missing lol.

Last edited:
First of all I'd like to say hello to everyone as this is my first post after being a lurker for so long and finally decided to actually take part in the community :] Hello, everyone.

Been team testing a lot on showdown and by far I've found one of the best sets for Keldeo that's worked out for me is this:

Keldeo @ Choice Specs
Ability: Justified
Shiny: Yes (Why the hell not?)
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 SAtk / 4 SDef
Timid Nature
- Icy Wind
- Hidden Power [Psychic]
- Secret Sword
- Scald (or Surf)

Basically it's like most of the Choice Specs sets you've seen around here. Biggest difference here is the usage of H.P. Psychic which I thought of after seeing the amount of usage Mega-Venusaur (thick fat is a b*tch) and Tentacruel have been getting. Time and time again the obvious switch when Keldeo has been sent out was Mega-Venusaur / Tentacruel so I decided to use that to my advantage.

252 SpA Choice Specs Keldeo Hidden Power Psychic vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Tentacruel: 168-198 (46.1 - 54.3%) -- 97.7% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Black Sludge recovery

252 SpA Choice Specs Keldeo Hidden Power Psychic vs. 252 HP / 252 SpD Tentacruel: 136-162 (37.3 - 44.5%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Stealth Rock and Black Sludge recovery

252 SpA Choice Specs Keldeo Hidden Power Psychic vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Mega Venusaur: 168-198 (46.1 - 54.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

252 SpA Choice Specs Keldeo Hidden Power Psychic vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Mega Venusaur: 124-148 (34 - 40.6%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Stealth Rock (Though the fully specially defensive Mega-Venu's aren't that common as it seems)

I find the heightened usage of Poison types this Gen makes this fairly viable. Keldeo's shallow move-pool somewhat forces Keldeo to put a slot for Hydro Miss or Hidden Power. Other Hidden Powers such as H.P. Ghost isn't quite useful as it was anymore (as the others stated). H.P. Ice is clearly outclassed by Icy Wind. H.P. Electric was my choice of Hidden power before. Until I realized I rarely touched it.

252 SpA Choice Specs Keldeo Hidden Power Electric vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Mega Charizard Y: 174-206 (58.3 - 69.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252 SpA Choice Specs Keldeo Scald vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Mega Charizard Y in Sun: 170-204 (57 - 68.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

H.P. Electric does hit things like Azumarill, Gyarados and Mandibuzz like a truck but the 30% Scald burn is enough for me. Hydro pump hits like a truck, there's no doubt about that, I just get tired of missing lol.

252 SpA Choice Specs Keldeo Hydro Pump vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Tentacruel: 114-135 (31.3 - 37%) -- 85% chance to 3HKO after Stealth Rock and Black Sludge recovery
Not that Tentacruel is common anyways, and what can it do in return?
Hidden Power [Flying] accomplishes the exact same thing while getting better coverage.
252 SpA Choice Specs Keldeo Hydro Pump vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Mega Charizard Y in Sun: 236-278 (79.1 - 93.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock
It does more than HP [Electric].
252 SpA Choice Specs Keldeo Hydro Pump vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Azumarill: 160-189 (39.6 - 46.7%) -- 34% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock
252 SpA Choice Specs Keldeo Hydro Pump vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Gyarados: 134-158 (40.3 - 47.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
252 SpA Choice Specs Keldeo Hydro Pump vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Mandibuzz: 280-330 (66 - 77.8%) -- 25% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
Seriously, it only needs Hidden Power [Flying]. I use mine under rain and holy jesus:
252 SpA Choice Specs Keldeo Hydro Pump vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Mega Venusaur in Rain: 171-202 (46.9 - 55.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
Nothing can safely switch in u.u

252 SpA Choice Specs Keldeo Hydro Pump vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Tentacruel: 114-135 (31.3 - 37%) -- 85% chance to 3HKO after Stealth Rock and Black Sludge recovery
Not that Tentacruel is common anyways, and what can it do in return?
Well, I suppose our experiences with seeing Tentacruel differ as I see him get a fair amount of usage honestly. Accuracy is one of the big factors why I run Scald/Surf over Hydro pump. The added PP is also a nice bonus. There's not much a Tentacruel can do to you, but Hydro Spam on it leaves a window for him to Toxic you which isn't too bad, but damage is damage. Also that's 3 of hydro's 8 PP gone to Tentacruel.

Hidden Power [Flying] accomplishes the exact same thing while getting better coverage.
252 SpA Choice Specs Keldeo Hydro Pump vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Mega Charizard Y in Sun: 236-278 (79.1 - 93.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock
It does more than HP [Electric].
Scald and Hydro Pump Vs a Mega Zard Y in the Sun are both an OHKO after Stealth Rocks. Without rocks they're both 2HKO's.

252 SpA Choice Specs Keldeo Scald vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Mega Charizard Y in Sun: 170-204 (57 - 68.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock

Aside from hitting Bug types and Hitting for Quad. damage on Grass-Fighting types (Breloom, Chesnaught), I don't see what else H.P. Flying hits that H.P. Psychic doesn't hit already x.x Furthermore I don't really see much bugs to nail with H.P. Flying

252 SpA Choice Specs Keldeo Scald vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Galvantula: 292-345 (103.9 - 122.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO

252 SpA Choice Specs Keldeo Hidden Power Flying vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Galvantula: 147-173 (52.3 - 61.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252 SpA Choice Specs Keldeo Hidden Power Flying vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Scolipede: 264-312 (81.4 - 96.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO (H.P. Psychic does the exact same damage).

252 SpA Choice Specs Keldeo Hidden Power Psychic vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Breloom: 294-348 (112.2 - 132.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO

252 SpA Choice Specs Keldeo Hidden Power Flying vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Breloom: 588-696 (224.4 - 265.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO

252 SpA Choice Specs Keldeo Hidden Power Flying vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Chesnaught: 496-584 (130.5 - 153.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO

252 SpA Choice Specs Keldeo Hidden Power Psychic vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Chesnaught: 248-292 (65.2 - 76.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

H.P. Flying seems a bit Overkill in these situations while H.P. Psychic is just enough to nail them while providing solid Poison coverage.

252 SpA Choice Specs Keldeo Hidden Power Psychic vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Chesnaught: 248-292 (65.2 - 76.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 SpA Choice Specs Keldeo Hydro Pump vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Azumarill: 160-189 (39.6 - 46.7%) -- 34% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock
252 SpA Choice Specs Keldeo Hydro Pump vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Gyarados: 134-158 (40.3 - 47.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
252 SpA Choice Specs Keldeo Hydro Pump vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Mandibuzz: 280-330 (66 - 77.8%) -- 25% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
Seriously, it only needs Hidden Power [Flying]. I use mine under rain and holy jesus:
252 SpA Choice Specs Keldeo Hydro Pump vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Mega Venusaur in Rain: 171-202 (46.9 - 55.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
Nothing can safely switch in u.u
A rain boosted Hydro Pump is somewhat pushing the situation in your favor to allow the 2HKO on Mega-Saur. I don't have the leisure of rain support all the time. Missing Hydro on Mega-Venu and on Azumarill however may cause death by Giga Drain or Play Rough. Generally I'd rather have the Azumarill and Gyarados switch in on a Scald and hope for the burn (which 30% may be low, but It does trigger and It helps a lot) and switch Keldeo out to something to else.

Hydro Pump is something to fear by itself, yes. But that doesn't mean it has to overshadow the other moves Keldeo could use. Also I'm butthurt about missing it all the time, srsly lol.

Keldeo has definitely been slept upon this gen, lack of perma rain hurts it but all it needs is specs or even lo and it still 2hkos almost everything, surf shouldn't really ever be used as Hydro Pump is your strongest move and Scald is much more spammable than Surf (a lot of things don't mind taking a water hit but hate being burned, azumarill and Gyarados are perfect examples).

Secret sword makes you a mixed wallbreaker without splitting investment or needing LO, it also gets past Chansey easily.

The 4th move can be either of the following:

HP Flying hits Mega Venusaur which is very common on stall but if its the mixed set will need some prior damage to 2hko (spam scald to burn it as it switches in, then 2hko it next time it tries to check you), HP Psychic does the same but Psychic is a worse offensive type overall so its less favorable.

Icy wind let's you beat the Latis, most grass types that aren't mega venusaur (like Trevenant, Chesnaught, Roserade) and allows you to slow down something in a pinch so that something else might outspeed it.

Honestly I really can't see how H.P. Psychic pales in comparison to H.P. Flying. Sure, Psychic is somewhat seen a lesser offensive type but your other 3 moves pretty much cover what H.P. Psychic can't. With H.P. Psychic you hit nearly everything that H.P. Flying does aside from Dark types, but that's what Secret Sword is for. All this time I've been thinking of what could H.P. Flying could hit that would somewhat merit it more than H.P. Psychic :\

252 SpA Choice Specs Keldeo Scald vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Mega Pinsir: 213-252 (78.3 - 92.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252 SpA Choice Specs Keldeo Hidden Power Flying vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Mega Pinsir: 214-252 (78.6 - 92.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Didn't know what else to consider for H.P. Flying that H.P. Psychic didn't hit with the exact same damage lol. I still find H.P. Psychic to have better all coverage since H.P. Flying lacks the Poison coverage outside the Poison types that are part Bug and Grass. So far I can't see how H.P. Flying is a better choice, but maybe I'm missing something :x

Last edited:
Honestly I really can't see how H.P. Psychic pales in comparison to H.P. Flying. Sure, Psychic is somewhat seen a lesser offensive type but your other 3 moves pretty much cover what H.P. Psychic can't. With H.P. Psychic you hit nearly everything that H.P. Flying does aside from Dark types, but that's what Secret Sword is for. All this time I've been thinking of what could H.P. Flying could hit that would somewhat merit it more than H.P. Psychic :\

252 SpA Choice Specs Keldeo Scald vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Mega Pinsir: 213-252 (78.3 - 92.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252 SpA Choice Specs Keldeo Hidden Power Flying vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Mega Pinsir: 214-252 (78.6 - 92.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Didn't know what else to consider for H.P. Flying that H.P. Psychic didn't hit with the exact same damage lol. I still find H.P. Psychic to have better all coverage since H.P. Flying lacks the Poison coverage outside the Poison types that are part Bug and Grass. So far I can't see how H.P. Flying is a better choice, but maybe I'm missing something :x
HP Flying is resisted by 3 types and super effective vs 3 types.

HP Psychic is resisted by 2 types and has 1 immunity and super effective vs 2 types.

HP Flying has slightly better coverage, the only relevant poison types in OU are hit super effectively by HP Flying too (Tentacruel isn't exactly used much in OU), I wouldn't say it pales in comparison, but it's objectively better, albeit slightly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)