Monotype Theorymon

Status
Not open for further replies.
Love the Machamp image btw, speaking of which, lets continue with the machamp theme

Keldeo @ Choice Specs
Ability: No Guard
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Hydro Pump
- Focus Blast
- Secret Sword
- Scald / Icy Wind / Ice Beam

Well this explains itself pretty well, Keldeo is already known to be a wallbreaker for fighting, the only way to make that better? Give it more accurate and guaranteed power. With No Guard, there is no need to worry about missing that crucial Hydro and going for that scald instead, and now the only fighting move you run doesn't have to only hit physical defense.

Just some nice calcs for that:
252 SpA Choice Specs Keldeo Focus Blast vs. 252 HP / 24 SpD Slowbro: 170-201 (43.1 - 51%) -- 97.7% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock
252 SpA Choice Specs Keldeo Focus Blast vs. 92 HP / 0 SpD Azumarill: 176-207 (48.3 - 56.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

I just bolded what the ability change will affect. Cuz y'know, all the times you lost a game because you missed an icy wind. 100% serious here.

Edit:
For the sake of creativity and cuz why the heck not, let's give Keldeo Ice Beam because we all know thats probably the #1 thing it lacks
Only problem I have with this is that the mons that you do this for are supposed to be pretty unviable.

"Don't submit ideas for Pokemon that are already pretty viable in the current metagame. This project wants to focus mostly on ideas that would improve Pokemon who are underused, outclassed and don't have much going for it."

Love the Machamp image btw, speaking of which, lets continue with the machamp theme

Keldeo @ Choice Specs
Ability: No Guard
Timid Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Focus Blast
- Secret Sword
- Scald / Icy Wind / Ice Beam

Well this explains itself pretty well, Keldeo is already known to be a wallbreaker for fighting, the only way to make that better? Give it more accurate and guaranteed power. With No Guard, there is no need to worry about missing that crucial Hydro and going for that scald instead, and now the only fighting move you run doesn't have to only hit physical defense.

Just some nice calcs for that:
252 SpA Choice Specs Keldeo Focus Blast vs. 252 HP / 24 SpD Slowbro: 170-201 (43.1 - 51%) -- 97.7% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock
252 SpA Choice Specs Keldeo Focus Blast vs. 92 HP / 0 SpD Azumarill: 176-207 (48.3 - 56.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

I just bolded what the ability change will affect. Cuz y'know, all the times you lost a game because you missed an icy wind. 100% serious here.

Edit:
For the sake of creativity and cuz why the heck not, let's give Keldeo Ice Beam because we all know thats probably the #1 thing it lacks
I'd hesitate from this because Keldeo is already extremely viable in the metagame, and the spirit of this thread is to bring more underused Pokemon into the spotlight.

I mean Keldeo is a Pokemon banned by AAA, that says enough, doesn't it?

Confluxx [Old]

Banned deucer.

have u ever picked up fighting and thought "wow! i should use something to beat fairy!" then picked up toxicroak, then realized that its hot garbage, even against fairy? ofc you have!
83/120/65/86/65/100
Toxicroak @ Life Orb/Focus Sash
Ability: Limber
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Gunk Shot
- Close Combat
- Swords Dance
- Sucker Punch / Bullet Punch

its frustrating that this is so fucking slow for an sd sweper (relies on sucker against even vaguely fast teams), as well as not even being that powerful compared to fighting's other options for sd sweepers. its also frustrating that you have literally 0 good fighting stab moves because its best moves are drain punch and cross chop. theres no reason it shouldnt get close combat. also it gets limber now partially because fuck twave and partially because it seems like its pretty nimble on its feet. it may because im drunk and its 2 am but i think that fighting frog seems pretty limber.

also here are some calcs
252 Atk Life Orb Toxicroak Gunk Shot vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Clefable: 424-502 (107.6 - 127.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+2 252 Atk Life Orb Toxicroak Close Combat vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Klefki through Reflect: 184-217 (57.8 - 68.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
+2 0- Atk Klefki Foul Play vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Toxicroak: 138-163 (44.9 - 53%) -- 32% chance to 2HKO (i.e. croak kills it faster than it kills croak if you get close combat)
I'm kinda hesitant towards this because of the Attack and Speed boost. I really like the idea though and the Speed is acceptable but remove the Attack boost, I feel it's too big of a boost to Toxicroak to get an attack raise on top of Speed, Close Combat and Limber.

On a different note,

Waszap Keldeo is already a really good Pokemon and one of the best wallbreakers, I like the idea of No Guard but unfortunately I can't approve it.

Stat changes:
88 / 107 / 122 / 74 / 75 / 64 Becomes
88 / 107 / 122 / 74 / 75 / 74

Set:
Chesnaught @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Unburden
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Belly Drum
- Drain Punch
- Seed Bomb
- Substitute

Explanation:
Every so often you'll run into this crazy Substitute + Belly Drum + Salac Berry set that tries to make Chesnaught strong and fast. Unfortunately, Salac Berry doesn't even let Chesnaught outspeed the likes of Tornadus or any Choice Scarf user other than Magnezone. So my change is to give Chesnaught Unburden (Think of Chesnaught losing its shell? LOL). Unburden is way faster than anything Salac Berry could try to reach.

With the stat change of 64->74 Speed, it's still notably outsped by Timid Heatran, which threatens Lava Plume; Hoopa-U, which can KO through the Substitute; and Gardevoir can Mega Evolve and Hyper Voice, also KOing through the Substitute. Unburden Chesnaught will also still be slower than Sand Rush Excadrill, which can KO it with Iron Head after some sand damage and/or Stealth Rock damage.

With base 74 Speed though, Unburden Chesnaught is importantly able to outspeed Kingdra in the rain. This also gives Chesnaught enough Speed to beat Choice Scarf Latios, another huge threat to Fighting. Chesnaught is also pretty damn strong, able to take out anything that isn't dedicated to being a physical wall as long as its STAB isn't resisted.

That being said, Chesnaught isn't prohibitively strong, as Skarmory lives a +6 Drain Punch even after Stealth Rock damage! Mandibuzz can tank a Drain Punch at full life, and will KO Chesnaught pretty cleanly after Rocky Helmet damage with Foul Play or Brave Bird. Doublade, which walls pretty much 90% of Fighting already, also walls this with complete ease.

Chesnaught's typing is kind of really bad too because everyone has coverage moves that can hit it. I don't see it being able to freely set up too easily. Further, Chesnaught also only has Feint for priority, which is obviously not desirable, leaving it weak to Ice Shard, because while Chesnaught's bulk is helpful, it's like 75% hp at most after BD, and Aerilate Quick Attack.

But you know, even with all these problems, I think this would give Chesnaught some serious viability. It still has to compete with Breloom's Technician Mach Punch and Spore and Hawlucha's own Unburden, but this would definitely bump its viability way up. Having a great answer to stall Water, Slowbro, and Swift Swim is very desirable when combined with the fact that Fighting actually really doesn't have many good sweepers outside of Mega Gallade.

Fighting is a very HO inclined type, and while it doesn't really need hazard removal, one tiny change could make a mon completely viable as an offensive spinner, in case you really need it.

Hitmonlee would get Scrappy to get unblockable Rapid Spin, while also making its HJK hit threats like Doublade and Mega-Sableye (both which fighting struggles with), and also get a tiny boost of 14 in speed (although not mandatory) to outpace base 100s and giving it a better speed tier, considering now it loses unburden. So 50/120/53/35/110/87 would become a solid 50/120/53/35/110/101.

Hitmonlee (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Scrappy
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Rapid Spin
- High Jump Kick
- Knock Off/Stone Edge/Fake Out/Mach Punch/Poison Jab
- Knock Off/Stone Edge/Fake Out/Mach Punch/Poison Jab

For a more ridiculous boost, it could also become part Normal type, basically becoming a Lopunny-Mega with Rapid Spin, running Return/Frustration and Fake Out/Mach Punch as the last 2 moves on the set.

Last edited:

Confluxx [Old]

Banned deucer.
Cycle 3: Electric

After going through two of the most used types, this time we're going with one of the lesser used types, Electric! This cycle there's an exception to one of the rules and you're allowed to submit ideas for Pokemon that are ranked B or below. Looking forward to seeing some cool ideas on how to bring more viability to the lesser used Pokemon of this type. Check out the Monotype Viability Rankings to get a clue of what Pokemon you should submit your ideas for.
You have until Friday 10/06/2016.

Last edited:

Sobi

Banned deucer.

Magneton @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Sturdy
Timid Nature
- Volt Switch
- Ice Beam
- Flash Cannon
- Thunderbolt

Magneton usually struggles with Ground-types because it has to rely on a rather weak Hidden Power Ice, but now it has Ice Beam and can fire off much stronger attacks (and also net a few extra KOs!).

hidden power ice
0 HP / 0- SpD Mega Garchomp: 292-344 (81.7 - 96.3%)
248 HP / 0 SpD Gliscor: 316-372 (89.5 - 105.3%)
0 HP / 4 SpD Landorus: 296-352 (92.7 - 110.3%)

ice beam
0 HP / 0- SpD Mega Garchomp: 432-512 (121 - 143.4%)
0 SpD Gliscor: 472-556 (133.7 - 157.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO
0 HP / 4 SpD Landorus: 448-528 (140.4 - 165.5%)

Lanturn @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Attack
- Scald
- Protect
- Toxic / Volt Switch
- Wish

This is a pretty simple suggestion, (A) putting Lanturn on even ground with Rotom-Wash with Levitate and (B) Giving it a single move to elevate balanced electric up immensely. With it's 125 HP stat, Lanturn could fully revive pokemon like Magnezone (reactivating sturdy mayhaps?), Zapdos, and Mega-Ampharos. And with Volt Switch Lanturn can safely decide who to pass to in the moment. It will also scald pestering to the list of things Electric teams can do. Defensively Lanturn isn't shabby either.

252 Atk Garchomp Outrage vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Lanturn: 196-232 (43.1 - 51.1%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 SpA Choice Specs Keldeo Secret Sword vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Lanturn: 207-244 (45.5 - 53.7%) -- 2.3% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
160 Atk Hoopa Unbound Hyperspace Fury vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Lanturn: 180-213 (39.6 - 46.9%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

You could also run a specially defensive set in a similar manner, and I'm sure there are better spreads out there, but I just like physical to better substitute for Rotom n_n But yeah, Lanturn + Levitate and Wish. Woot!

Last edited:

Acast

Ghost of a Forum Mod & PS Room Owner
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
Utility Electrode

Electrode @ Air Balloon
Ability: Aftermath
Timid Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Rapid Spin

- Volt Switch
- Taunt / Foul Play

Electric as a type has many issues and this Electrode can't fix them all, but it would fix the type's lack of reliable Stealth Rock setters. As much as we all want Stunfisk to be good, it just can't get the job done. Adding Stealth Rock would give Electric's sweepers a much easier time and also adding Rapid Spin ensures that you don't have to rely on Zapdos's Defog to remove hazards on your side of the field. Considering Electrode's lack of bulk, it may not get multiple opportunities to set up rocks, so Defog would be very counterproductive. Not to mention that frees up a moveslot on Zapdos, allowing it to run Heat Wave for some extra coverage (or if you already run Heat Wave, you could add another utility move like Toxic).

With Electrode's outstanding base 140 speed, it will easily outspeed almost all of the unboosted threats in the metagame except for a handful of uncommon mega evolutions and the occasional Deoxys-Speed or Ninjask. That speed makes it much easier to set up its hazard or to spin hazards away. Volt Switch is a good idea to ensure that the team doesn't lose momentum and gives Electrode a way of doing damage. The final moveslot is a filler move of choice, but I would recommend Taunt to prevent opponents from setting up or Foul Play to punish opponents that have already set up. The Air Balloon works well with Electrode's typing by giving it an immunity to its only weakness and giving it more opportunities to switch in (which is very valuable considering how frail it is). Focus Sash is worth considering, but this set is a spinner so it will be switching in on hazards fairly often, limiting the usefulness of a sash. Aftermath is the most useful ability at its disposal, but that isn't saying much. Soundproof is nearly useless and it's far too frail to make use of Static.

I really want to give it a secondary Steel typing too, but I feel that would be going overboard, so it'll stay pure Electric.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)