NCAA March Madness 2009

I'm glad a big east school won't win it all considering how much love all the analysts gave that conference
Well, I've been pumping up the big east all season as well, because I'm from upstate New York and go to school on the east coast in ACC land.. and I've been hearing shit from my friends all day "The big east didn't win... overrated! They suck"

Yet you look at what they did in the tournament:

16-7 overall, compared to 9-6 for the ACC, and 9-7 for the Big Ten (all 3 conferences had 7 teams in), along with 5 in the Sweet Sixteen, 4 in the Elite 8, 2 in the final four. Yup.. FOUR in the Elite 8... The Big 12 had 2, and 1 for ACC and Big Ten.. So then you realize... the top teams of the Big East double up on the top teams in-season... so they have to play 6-8 games against teams that made the sweet sixteen in their own conference! Yikes...

There's no denying the depth and success of the Big East.. it was proven in the tournament by the records, seeding, and the fact that one of the Elite 8 games was just a conference game...

Diana

This isn't even my final form
is a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Yeah, RaikouLover completely just overrode what I was about to post about the Big East still being dominant, nice job.

That being said, North Carolina deserved it after that beatdown last night.

Sadly, I didn't win any money in my pool of 119.. lost out on the last money spot by tiebreaker. x_X

lol yeah seriously, when two teams from the conference sweep their way into the final four, it is hardly overrated

I guess maybe I should have made a bracket after all since my flippant pick of UNC worked! I like how people on IRC all laughed me down, but I do not remember any specifics, unfortunately.

Carl

or Varl
is a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
good thing nobody in this thread said the big east was overrated then! the big east was a great conference this year with a lot of depth and the praise it received wasn't undeserved.. i just got tired of hearing about it after a while.

The thing about the Big East is that they are a top heavy conference...the teams that aren't on the top are absolute garbage. It is the biggest major conference there is. They are SUPPOSED to have more good teams.

While the top teams in the Big East were racking up wins against the mid to lower level teams in the conference with relative ease, conferences like the ACC with much more talent from top to bottom were beating each other up. The Big East had THREE #1 seeds. Of course they will have a better tournament record than they ACC..they had a ridiculously easy path the whole tournament. So yeah. The Big East is overrated.

Note: The ACC definitely choked..I will admit that. I'm just making a point that the Big East did not impress me at all seeing how they had three #1 seeds which makes a very easy path to the elite 8.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)