np: Doubles OU Stage 4 - Infamous | Jirachi (Stays in DOU) | Swagger is Banned

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arcticblast

Trans rights are human rights
is a Forum Moderatoris a Tiering Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Makes sense, genies are a great addition to most three-mon cores and from there you pick a filler

Also possible: teams use a maximum of one Kalos Pokemon and sort teams by dex order

talkingtree

large if factual
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SCL Champion
I'm not quite sure that I'm ready to nominate it for a place on the VR, but I figured I'd bring up what I think is the best mon that no one (except for TOTEM) is using right now: Mega Ampharos. Volcanion's release and spike in popularity are great for it, as it takes little from either of its STABs and OHKOs with Thunderbolt. Not only that, but one of Volcanion's most common answers right now is Rotom-W, which is yet another great matchup for the fabulous sheep.

Obviously its speed is the main issue, being slow but not quite slow enough to underspeed things like Amoonguss. However, I've been trying out a Substitute set and really liking it for taking advantage of the foe using Protect on the last turn of TR. It has surprisingly good bulk and that base 165 SpA is no joke. I'd like to nominate it to Tier 4, but until other people start using it more that would be too based on theorymon.

Funbot28

Banned deucer.
So apparently it is to my understanding that the Rachi suspect will start after DPL, is this true?

Idyll

xD
is a Tutoris an official Team Rateris a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
RBTT Champion
Jirachi suspect will hopefully happen at the same time that DPL Finals start.

real af logs:
[1:04 AM] Memoric: seriously tho are we ever suspecting Rachi
[1:05 AM] Arcticblast: How long has big steamy been out
[1:05 AM] Memoric: what week is dpl in
[1:05 AM] Memoric: 3?
[1:05 AM] Memoric: then 3 weeks
[1:05 AM] Memoric: or 2 weeks since only 2 weeks have actually passed
[1:06 AM] Arcticblast: After DPL regular season most likely
[1:07 AM] Arcticblast: Depends on if it's still like it is now with Volcanion and more Hoopa seeming to hang around

Last edited:
do we really need to suspect it?
take a look here
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1_YNxkEEfvP607TEN0yGdIIm9p1Hxo4nVuWKHARNCfio/edit#gid=0
so many things that just kill jirachi at the top of the list
I counted like 4 of the top 10 and only 2 of those do rlly well against diancie, and most of the top 30 gets buttfucked by diancie as well. You really need to start thinking about jirachi's partner rather than just repeating over and over that jirachi can die to shit lol.
also at this point derivations is the only person that thinks jirachi is OP.
p sure braverius is relevant or something, but yeah if it's only a couple ppl we technically shouldnt have a suspect; I will say that jirachi is still gay as hell and I think a suspect should be in order. it's not healthy, but it's like a different not-healthy than mence and a similar one to skymin.
Jirachi doesn't make the game more fun for either side. I have played games with and against thalky or checkroom-ish stuff and it can turn out to be fun and exciting, whereas jirachi is all about positioning. You have to stop the jirachi before it can assist diancie or azumarill (though azu less so in this meta) by keeping ur v important assets in place, which really restricts teambuilding. I get that it's still pretty likely that u can win against jirachi+diancie with a somewhat unprepared team; that is the most evil thing about the just barely unhealthy mons - they still give p decent odds to win even if a team isn't built in anticipation of something such as jirachi or (as it applies to this somewhat as well) skymin, and so people just don't look too much into it. But most games with jirachi center the entire match around stopping jirachi from putting in serious work against the opposing team. Maybe sometimes jirachi isn't even much of a worry, like if the opponent brings a landorus-t to fuck you over, but it's so easy to compensate for any of jirachi's weaknesses that you can put on like kyurem-b and it can do things such as wall rain to oblivion or stop landorus-t in its tracks, and then maybe sometimes, when jirachi isn't the center of everything, it just becomes something like kyurem-b, a persisting problem for non-functioning teams.
Personally, I sort of follow what checkmater has said before in "positioning is a part of every game and it makes games more mind-game like, which is fun" or something like that, and I agree with that, but only up to a certain point. You can't make it entirely about positioning or else playing mons becomes like playing chess, which is its own game already and we needn't stray away from the fun and enjoyable meta game that brings us back to (or immerses us deeper into) our childhood. For the most part, the smogon meta game has brought more cerebrality into the game, and that's good, but bringing in so much that the entire game revolves around whether one event happens or not sucks a lot. I do not mean to advocate brainless clicking, or poor judgement, but I mean to say that things needn't be so complex.
This was probably a lot to say pre-suspect, but I really don't want it to get to a point where we just drop the idea of banning jirachi.
lets ban swagger, belly drum, and that type of shit though.
Swagger is gay. I agree with that one.
Now that we have Volcanion though, jirachi+azu just goes from awesome to like somewhat decent. And azumarill really is just a gimmick that people use a lot, it's honestly comparable to perish trap but perish trap usually can't save itself from even the slightest bad matchup whereas things like bunnies or just azu can do well against scarier teams. Just play around the azumarill right, they're really predictable despite being scary af and it's ridiculously hard to support an azumarill even with a jirachi honestly. It can be viable, yes, but it's not too amazing to warrant any suspect.

Funbot28

Banned deucer.
Swagger is gay. I agree with that one.
Now that we have Volcanion though, jirachi+azu just goes from awesome to like somewhat decent. And azumarill really is just a gimmick that people use a lot, it's honestly comparable to perish trap but perish trap usually can't save itself from even the slightest bad matchup whereas things like bunnies or just azu can do well against scarier teams. Just play around the azumarill right, they're really predictable despite being scary af and it's ridiculously hard to support an azumarill even with a jirachi honestly. It can be viable, yes, but it's not too amazing to warrant any suspect.
Agreeing with your sentiments, but not your phrasing. Can we stop using gay as a derogatory term? Their are many gay members in our community and I am sure they would hold offense to this language. Anyways to make this post useful, Swagger is pretty unhealthy as well and I would agree on a suspect of that alongside Jirachi.

Please stop using the argument that jirachi is broken because its partners do well with it. Steel / Psychic is great defensive typing, we get it. It makes 0 sense to ban a mon simply because the mon you can put next to it, which is already great, is a little more difficult to kill. I haven't seen one usage of jirachi where it seemed to make one player's situation unfairly uneven. And any match where i've seen jirachi make a huge difference, it could have been solved by simply preparing for jirachi when you build. It's not that hard. Rather than just trying to remove things from a meta you don't enjoy working around, put more of your effort into making it less of an issue for your teams.

On a slightly different note:

Ever since the big steamy release, I haven't seen nearly as many jirachi uses, let alone cases where it was extremely important. I'm not sure if this is entirely due to everyone's new infatuation with hoopa + steamy semi-room, which deals with rachi + anything pretty damn well, as well as a rise in hydreigon usage in opposition to that, or if people simply don't like it as much as they used to since the hype from azu + rachi has died down a bit (and reasonably so). Whatever the reason is, It seems to me that jirachi has plenty of checks in this meta, and I'd like to hear what others think about rachi's place in this hot, steamy, moist new meta.

lets ban swagger, belly drum, and that type of shit though.
No reason to ban belly drum. It's just another thing to build around like any other team type, it's just more centralized.

I don't really care for a swagger ban either way. Yes it's annoying, but it's not really relevant. I don't see a thundurus and go "that's swagger incoming".

Edit: Ignore my counting im bad.

Please stop using the argument that jirachi is broken because its partners do well with it. Steel / Psychic is great defensive typing, we get it. It makes 0 sense to ban a mon simply because the mon you can put next to it, which is already great, is a little more difficult to kill.
Not to pluck a string that's been overplayed, but lots of people seriously blame Jirachi for the banning of Mega Salamence because it made mence virtually impossible to stop. Azumarill is practically immune to Mega Kangaskhan Return when Jirachi is out next to it. Mega Kangaskhan requires strong bulky spread attackers that can hit Jirachi for a lot of damage just to take down, and needs to be Intimidated or burned to prevent a PuP sweep. Hell, Mega Aerodactyl could really abuse Jirachi's assistance to a substantial degree even early game, as, if it's an Ice Fang/Rock Slide/Protect/Coverage set, it is one of few to maintain a constant initial threat level (by that I mean before debuffs and status afflictions are applied, or when it is first sent out, it has a close threat level in all stages of the game), and so it is capable of abusing Jirachi at any opportunity which it is given. And last I checked,
  • Any grass type
  • Any dark type
  • Any dragon type bar Kingdra
  • Any electric type, most notably offensive flash cannon Thundurus but also bulky slow Thundurus as well as any Rotom form
  • Mega Kangaskhan
  • Mega Diancie
  • Any steel type
  • All fire types bar Mega Houndoom but even that has a horrible matchup and is pretty shit anyway
  • Mega Gardevoir, sometimes
  • Most water types
  • Most ghost types, and
  • Some of our common trick room setters+a trick room pokemon like Scrafty/Hariyama/Volcanion/Mega Camerupt
loses when a Diancie is standing next to Jirachi, and often given the right circumstances (which things like Kyurem-B, Landorus-T, and Talonflame just so happen to specialize in creating), you can add fairies, many more water types, even more trick room situations, and most ground types to that list, if not eliminate them entirely as possible threats.
To make this information more tangible, imagine how many times a Landorus-T lives through every stage of the game with over 70% of its health, or how many times late game you have a Mega Gardevoir or Hydreigon that wasn't dented by Talonflame earlier in the game and can still live a Diamond Storm from Mega Diancie, or how many times a Volcanion sits in the back waiting to kill Jirachi late and still tank at least one Earth Power/Diamond Storm before dying or barely living the next. All of those statistics are probably incredibly low.
On the other hand, you could probably make the same argument for the odds about Jirachi+Diancie being relatively close to full health and each lacking life-damaging status afflictions, but given Mega Diancie's spectacular coverage partnered with the likes of Kyurem-B (the infamous "rain counter"), Talonflame (one of like maybe 3 fast mons that do sort of well under Trick Room), Landorus-T (the most versatile pokemon in the meta game ever), or Gengar (the best check to both Landorus-T and Mega Kangaskhan) is capable of smashing things without even having to worry about taking lots of damage in return. And in the case that one or neither of Mega Diancie or Jirachi hasn't lived through to the end of the match, you probably still have to worry about their superpowered, extra-flexible partners which just so happen to have the best synergy possible with Jirachi and Mega Diancie.

I don't get where "a little more difficult to kill" comes from unless you assume that the opposing team has a constantly healthy Scarf Landorus-T to clean up late game, or if you use a lot of Mega Swampert or Omastar or Kingdra on lots and lots of rain teams, or if people really like to save Volcanion (which has a semi-good matchup against lots of Mega Diancie+Jirachi partners) until the very end, or if Mega Gardevoir and Hydreigon are among the last pokemon in the match to still have over 60% of their health left. Or if I'm really missing something here..

Arcticblast

Trans rights are human rights
is a Forum Moderatoris a Tiering Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
A bunch of random stuff:

I plan on evaluating Jirachi's state post-DPL as was mentioned above with the rest of the council and we will see if a suspect is still warranted. If we decide to suspect it, expect it to come shortly after DPL. If we decide not to, I will make an announcement.

Mega Salamence was broken for Mega Salamence reasons and not Jirachi reasons, if you believe Jirachi made Mence broken I will personally beat you with a boomerang (as is fitting for Mega Salamence).

I still oppose a Swagger ban.
I have been personally victimized by lum hoopa + self swagger
hey man are u ok

Idyll

xD
is a Tutoris an official Team Rateris a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
RBTT Champion
Jirachi suspect will hopefully happen at the same time that DPL Finals start.

real af logs:
[1:04 AM] Memoric: seriously tho are we ever suspecting Rachi
[1:05 AM] Arcticblast: How long has big steamy been out
[1:05 AM] Memoric: what week is dpl in
[1:05 AM] Memoric: 3?
[1:05 AM] Memoric: then 3 weeks
[1:05 AM] Memoric: or 2 weeks since only 2 weeks have actually passed
[1:06 AM] Arcticblast: After DPL regular season most likely
[1:07 AM] Arcticblast: Depends on if it's still like it is now with Volcanion and more Hoopa seeming to hang around
never forget

I still think Rachi is kinda stupid, maybe not as broken as before but still does the same job as before. Azu+Rachi might not be as good as it once was, but Rachi in general I feel is still really good at what it does, redirect and flinch things.
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/doublesou-372727464
Here's a dumb replay of me using Jirachi as my Volcanion counter. This isn't the heart of why people thought it was broken but honestly is worth considering. I'm not deadset on Rachi needing to be banned, but I don't think the meta really became THAT much more hostile to Rachi where it doesn't do its job well anymore

Pocket

be the upgraded version of me
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
What exactly did that Jirachi accomplish in that match, though? Jirachi went down after 2 Hyper Voices + 1 Heat Wave, causing two flinches with minimal damage, while its partner Volcanion sets up a sub. Togekiss would have literally been able to do the same thing, except actually do some respectable damage to Volcanion with its Air Slash. Or apply more pressure by setting up Tailwind.

kamikaze didn't really play that game well either, imo - why would you leave a Mega Gardevoir in front of an opposing Jirachi & Volcanion? Why let your Volcanion eat a Thunderbolt from Thundurus when it is the only thing that can deal with the opponent's Volcanion under a Sub (assuming kamikaze has Earth Power, which it should, seeing how the rest of the team is vulnerable to Volcanion's STAB)

Can we please be a little more critical in our analysis?

kamikaze

The King Of Games
is a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
What exactly did that Jirachi accomplish in that match, though? Jirachi went down after 2 Hyper Voices + 1 Heat Wave, causing two flinches with minimal damage, while its partner Volcanion sets up a sub. Togekiss would have literally been able to do the same thing, except actually do some respectable damage to Volcanion with its Air Slash. Or apply more pressure by setting up Tailwind.

kamikaze didn't really play that game well either, imo - why would you leave a Mega Gardevoir in front of an opposing Jirachi & Volcanion? Why let your Volcanion eat a Thunderbolt from Thundurus when it is the only thing that can deal with the opponent's Volcanion under a Sub (assuming kamikaze has Earth Power, which it should, seeing how the rest of the team is vulnerable to Volcanion's STAB)

Can we please be a little more critical in our analysis?
I dont think i played that game badly. I had many ways to offensively check his volcanion but none of them could switch in to it and were important pieces to win the game. I wanted to keep on pressure and make sure he didnt get a sub up if possible.

As for why i kept my volcanion in on thund, if you looked at what mons he had left, its usefulness for the rest of the game had come to an end so i sacked it to get off last ditch damage on his thund since thats the only value I could get off it at that point

Rachis flinches did matter as it prevented me from hammering away at his back pokemon with hyper voice until it went down and the flinches allowed him to maintain his current board position longer than i would have liked.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)