Project NU Archetype Cores: Discuss Your Experiences! (HIATUS)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys, I have now counted up all the votes. All of you keep submitting such great content that there has been a tie for two weeks straight. So after rolling, your winners are Rapture. and PrinceLucian. Congratulations! The next type core we are going to be doing is
. You guys have all probably seen or used one of these cores at some point in your career, so I hope to see similar activity to last week :] We are doing submissions till Friday, the 22nd. Good luck everyone.

Reserving Sawk Xatu Skuntank

Sawk like a lot the ability of Xatu and Skuntank to keep a clear floor to preserve his sturdy.
Xatu help a lot Sawk with his access to Thunder Wave while Sawk isn't the faster mon, it let him revenge kill some mons more easily. Xatu also help Skuntank and Sawk to deal with the poison and the fighting type. While Skuntank act here as a bulky defog it also help a lot Xatu and Sawk with trapping the ghost and the psychic type. Due to his priority, Skuntank is helpfull to Sawk as it let us revenge kill some mons instead of sending Sawk.

Xatu @ Colbur Berry
Ability: Magic Bounce
EVs: 252 HP / 176 Def / 80 Spe
Timid Nature
- Psychic
- Roost
- Thunder Wave
- U-turn

Sawk @ Choice Band
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Close Combat
- Knock Off
- Zen Headbutt
- Stone Edge

Skuntank @ Lum Berry
Ability: Aftermath
EVs: 24 HP / 224 Atk / 176 SpD / 84 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Pursuit
- Defog
- Sucker Punch
- Poison Jab

Last edited:
reserving shiftry xatu hariyama

These three pokes make up a nice balance core. Xatu gives a form of hazard control with magic bounce, can pivot with u turn to build momentum, and can generally deal with most fighting types and other physical attackers decently. Hariyama is a great spD wall with the AV set and can catch rotom's and other pokemon with status moves off guard with guts. Shiftry provides awesome coverage with knock off and leaf storm. I tend to use black glasses over LO recently so that you don't get stalled out by Musharna sets which only carry a psychic type attack.

Shiftry @ Black Glasses
Ability: Chlorophyll
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Lonely Nature
- Sucker Punch
- Knock Off
- Leaf Storm
- Explosion

Hariyama @ Assault Vest
Ability: Guts
EVs: 240 Atk / 252 SpD / 16 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Close Combat
- Knock Off
- Earthquake
- Bullet Punch

Xatu @ Colbur Berry
Timid Nature
- Psyshock
- Heat Wave
- U-turn
- Roost

Last edited:

Pawniard @ Eviolite
Ability: Defiant
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Knock Off
- Sucker Punch
- Iron Head

Xatu @ Colbur Berry
Timid Nature
- Psychic
- Roost
- Heat Wave/ Thunder Wave
- U-turn

Hariyama @ Assault Vest
Ability: Thick Fat
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Close Combat
- Knock Off
- Bullet Punch
- Fake Out

I legit couldn't find a better pawniard sprite
so please ignore how ghetto this looks
I was thinking really really hard on how to be different for this set of typings and although i couldnt come up with two different fighting/psychic mons, i at least chose a different dark mon
Pawniard isn't as good as it used to be, with the rise of Steelix but paired with xatu and heatwave, it might just be able to shine. Harriyama easily takes away any fire mons that pose a threat to pawniard, and heck, even ice mons that pose a threat to xatu. Xatu hits steelix with heatwave, is able to switch in on most psychics for hariyama, and I slashed t-wave and heatwave, so just incase you want pawniard to be abit faster and be able to get the sd off safer, you can use that.

Attachments

etern

is a Community Leaderis a Top Tiering Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a defending SCL Championis a Former Smogon Metagame Tournament Circuit Champion
NU Leader

This is a pretty cool core I've been using around CM Xatu and Bulk Up Gurdurr. Skuntank is an awesome partner, being able to Pursuit trap the psychic/ghost types that threaten out Gurdurr as well as another big threat in Mega Audino. Furthermore, Gurdurr is a great partner to Xatu, eliminating the rock, dark and ice types which Xatu struggles with, whilst in return, Xatu discourages hazards and provides a second psychic resist. Finally, Xatu also appreciates Skuntanks pursuit support whilst Xatu can stall out Steelix. Overall an underrated core in the meta which works pretty effectively.

Gurdurr @ Eviolite
Ability: Guts
EVs: 252 HP / 192 Atk / 64 Def
Adamant Nature
- Mach Punch
- Drain Punch
- Knock Off
- Bulk Up

Skuntank @ Lum Berry
EVs: 232 Atk / 132 SpD / 144 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Sucker Punch
- Pursuit
- Poison Jab
- Taunt

Xatu @ Colbur Berry
Timid Nature
- Psychic
- Roost
- Heat Wave
- Calm Mind

poh

<?>
is a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Today i chose some bulkier pokemon partnered with a relatively fast all-out-attacker.

Starting off with Musharna being ofcourse the main fighting resist. With this set Archeops can’t OHKO it and after a Calm Mind a Specs Boomburst from Swellow won’t hurt it too much. Its 4th moveslot can be variable imo. Signal Beam to hit Grass and other Psychic-types and Malamar, Energy Ball to hit Water and Ground-types.

The set

Musharna @ Leftovers
Ability: Synchronize
EVs: 224 HP / 252 Def / 32 Spe
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Calm Mind
- Psychic
- Signal Beam/ Energy Ball
- Moonlight

Here are some calcs

252 Atk Archeops Acrobatics (110 BP) vs. 224 HP / 252+ Def Musharna: 153-180 (35.6 - 41.9%) -- 87.6% chance to 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

252 SpA Choice Specs Swellow Boomburst vs. +1 224 HP / 0 SpD Musharna: 133-157 (31 - 36.5%) -- guaranteed 4HKO after Leftovers recovery

Next is Hariyama. Hariyama is one of the best special tanks in the tier! With Thick Fat it helps checking Shiftry’s weaknesses. With Assault Vest it can take a Leaf Storm from Sceptile from full HP. Swellow does around 35% with a Boomburst. Ludicolo doesn’t 2HKO either from full HP. Hariyama doesn’t care about a Lilligant after a Quiver Dance either.

The set

Hariyama @ Assault Vest
Ability: Thick Fat
EVs: 252 Atk / 240 SpD / 18 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Close Combat
- Knock Off
- Earthquake
- Bullet Punch

Here are some calcs

252 SpA Life Orb Sceptile Leaf Storm vs. 0 HP / 240 SpD Assault Vest Hariyama: 175-207 (40.7 - 48.2%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

252 SpA Choice Specs Swellow Boomburst vs. 0 HP / 240 SpD Assault Vest Hariyama: 139-165 (32.4 - 38.4%) -- 97.6% chance to 3HKO

+1 252 SpA Life Orb Lilligant Giga Drain vs. 0 HP / 240 SpD Assault Vest Hariyama: 153-183 (35.6 - 42.6%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

252+ SpA Life Orb Ludicolo Hydro Pump vs. 0 HP / 240 SpD Assault Vest Hariyama: 146-173 (34 - 40.3%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

Last but not least, Shiftry! Shiftry can deal massive amounts of damage to some of the bulkier pokemon in the tier. With Sucker Punch it has the second highest priority in the tier! I didn’t put Defog on it because i don’t like to waste a moveslot on such a powerful threat.

The set

Shiftry @ Life Orb
Ability: Early Bird
Hasty Nature
- Knock Off
- Sucker Punch
- Leaf Storm
- Explosion

Last edited:

cryalot

senza telescopi
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
+
+

Hitmonchan is one of the top spinners in the tier. The AV set allows it to take special hits and retaliate back. Most of the times it can safely switch into the opposing hazard setter and threaten it with its fists or spin the hazards. Scarf Jynx is my psychic type of choice because it is one of the fastest scarfers of the tier, and has a really strong double stab and access to lovely kiss. Pursuit Skuntank is my answer to all the ghost types that aren’t ohko’d by Jynx.

Hitmonchan (M) @ Assault Vest
Ability: Iron Fist
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Drain Punch
- Mach Punch
- Ice Punch
- Rapid Spin

Jynx (F) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Dry Skin
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Ice Beam
- Psyshock
- Lovely Kiss
- Focus Blast

Skuntank @ Lum Berry
Adamant Nature
- Sucker Punch
- Pursuit
- Poison Jab
- Taunt

Shadestep

volition immanent
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus

Mesprit @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 232 Def / 24 Spe
Bold Nature
- Psyshock
- Stealth Rock
- U-turn
- Healing Wish / Thunder Wave

Sawk (M) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Mold Breaker
Adamant Nature
- Close Combat
- Knock Off
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake

Shiftry @ Life Orb
Ability: Pickpocket
Hasty Nature
- Knock Off
- Leaf Storm
- Sucker Punch
- Defog / Explosion

another balance/offense core that loses to Scyther like all of them lol
Mesprit is your obligatory SR user, Sawk is your scarfer and Shiftry is your wallbreaker etc
I like thunder wave on Mesprit a lot for obvious reasons, but Healing Wish + Sturdy Sawk is really neat, coming in clutch lategame sometimes.
Explosion is a nice move to fuck up a lot of mons, but Defog is Defog and it's very useful in most situations, although i don't like Shiftry as my only hazard control most of the time, so I'd recommend using like Xatu or smth

erisia

Innovative new design!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus

Liepard @ Damp Rock / Heat Rock
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Rain Dance / Sunny Day
- U-turn
- Knock Off
- Encore

Mesprit @ Damp Rock / Heat Rock
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
Relaxed Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Psyshock
- Rain Dance / Sunny Day
- U-turn / Healing Wish

Sawk @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Mold Breaker
Adamant Nature
- Close Combat
- Knock Off
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake

These guys form half of a weather team and you just fill the rest of your team with abusers. Liepard is the speedy weather setter that can lock down certain mons with Encore for its teammates to abuse, while Mesprit is the bulky weather setter that can provide slow U-turn support for its abuser teammates or use Healing Wish to bring a sweeper back from the brink. Scarf Sawk is a nice general cleaner that makes mincemeat out of Abomasnow and Aurorus and gives your team some much needed Speed when your weather isn't up for whatever reason. The type synergy in this case takes a backseat to role synergy but I don't have any other cores to submit so whatever. Weather teams are worse now due to Abomasnow entering the tier but it's not nearly as common as people thought it would be so whatever.

Last edited:

Rapture

I got so much time today
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
+
+

(4th gen sprites are so cool *-*)
Primeape @ Choice Band
Ability: Vital Spirit
Jolly Nature
- Close Combat
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake
- U-turn

Xatu @ Rocky Helmet
EVs: 136 HP / 196 Def / 176 Spe
Bold Nature
- Heat Wave
- U-turn
- Roost
- Psychic

Skuntank @ Lum Berry
Adamant Nature
- Sucker Punch
- Pursuit
- Poison Jab
- Taunt

Basic as fuck core but fighting type + pursuit support has been pretty good in Nu for a while now and Primeape in particular does really well with pursuit support due to its lack of knock off and higher base speed. Primeape's access to U-turn also makes a fun u turn core with Xatu to keep up momentum. I opted for rocky helmet on Xatu just to punish Steelix who try to play around Magic Bounce, otherwise it's the standard spread. Lum berry Skuntank for pursuit shenanigans like I mentioned before so Primeape can spam Close Combat more freely. This core also has a decent shot at playing around scyther lmao

PrinceLucian

Banned deucer.
+
+

Primeape @ Choice Scarf/Choice Band/Expert Belt
Ability: Vital Spirit/Defiant
Jolly Nature
- U-turn
- Close Combat
- Earthquake/Gunk Shot
- Stone Edge

Beheeyem @ Choice Specs
Ability: Analytic
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 144 HP / 252 SpA / 112 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 SpA / 30 SpD
- Psychic
- Psyshock
- Hidden Power [Ground]
- Signal Beam

Skuntank @ Expert Belt
EVs: 112 HP / 252 SpA / 144 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 SpA
- Dark Pulse
- Fire Blast
- Sludge Bomb/Hidden Power [Grass]
- Defog

-It took me some time to finish the core before posting because it was a bit harder to fit and decide the sets.Main reason of using this core is Primeape+Beheeyem, which is amazing alone and Skuntank was just a dark filler here.I used it for over a week and i can say that Primeape is one of the best partners for Beheeyem,it brings him in with U-turn and Beheeyem can get a kill, while Skuntank is checking all Primeape counters and things that annoy it. Now the sets were kinda tricky, and I had to decide whether im gonna post the Physical taunt or Special Defog Skuntank, but I decided to use special over physical because special variant lures many stuff and hits decently enough while having a good utility. Im also gonna leave some options in movesets as I feel Primeape and Skuntank sets can be decided later as the team goes on.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)