Samurott

sorry about the huge pic, couldn't find any other good ones.

#503 Daikenki

Type: Water

Base Stats:

Hp: 95

Attack: 100

Defense: 85

Special Attack: 108

Special Defense: 70

Speed: 70

BST: 528

95/100/ 85/108/ 70/ 70

Ability: Torrent: Boosts Water moves by x1.5 when it's health is below 1/3.

Shell Armor (Dreamworld) Pokemon is protected from Critical Hits.

Movepool:

Level Up: Lv1: Megahorn, Lv1: Tackle, Lv1: Tail Whip, Lv1: Water Gun, Lv1: Water Sport, Lv5: Tail Whip, Lv7: Water Gun, Lv11: Water Sport, Lv13: Focus Energy, Lv17: [M534], Lv20: Fury Cutter, Lv25: Water Pulse, Lv28: Revenge, Lv33: Aqua Jet, Lv36: Slash, Lv38: Encore, Lv45: Aqua Tail, Lv50: [M514], Lv57: Swords Dance, Lv62: Hydro Pump

Egg moves: Copycat
Detect
Air Slash
Assurance
Brine
Night Slash
Trump Card
Screech

TM/HM moves:
Learnable TMs: , TM06 - Toxic, TM07 - Hail, TM10 - Hidden Power, TM12 - Taunt, TM13 - Ice Beam, TM14 - Blizzard, TM15 - Hyper Beam, TM17 - Protect, TM18 - Rain Dance, TM21 - Frustration, TM27 - Return, TM28 - Dig, TM32 - Double Team, TM40 - Aerial Ace, TM42 - Facade, TM44 - Rest, TM45 - Attract, TM48 - Troll, TM54 - False Swipe, TM55 - Boiling Water, TM56 - Fling, TM67 - Get Even, TM68 - Giga Impact, TM75 - Swords Dance, TM81 - X-Scissor, TM82 - Dragon Tail, TM86 - Grass Knot, TM87 - Swagger, TM90 - Substitute, TM94 - Rock Smash, HM01 - Cut, HM03 - Surf, HM04 - Strength, HM05 - Waterfall, HM06 - Dive

Potential Sets:

Dancing Wotter!

Daikenki@Swimming Googles
Ability: Torrent
EVs: 252 Attack, 200 Speed, 56 Hp
Nature: Adamant

Moveset:

-Swords Dance
-Aqua Jet
-Megahorn
-Waterfall

This is your basic SD set. With Daikenki's great 100 base Attack, he can fire off STAB Aqua Jets which hurt a ton of pokemon in 5th gen. A few are the Bug/Fire pokemon with amazing speed and special attack, and the Rock/Flying
pokemon with great speed and attack, Emboar the final evo of Pokabu, the Fire Monkey Baokki, Gigaisu the rock monster, Doryuuzu the fast mole digger, Hihidaruma flaming ape, Shaandera fire ghost monster, Terakion the legendary rock fighting guy, and for lolz Reshiram. Waterfall is your generic awesome STAB, with Flinch chance. Megahorn is the crux of this set. Nailing Grass pokes hard. Bug/Water has amazing coverage.

Special Wotter!!

Daikenki@Swimming Googles
EVs: 252 Special Attack, 252 Speed, 4 Hp.
Nature: Timid

Moveset:

-Hydro Pump
-Ice Beam
-Grass Knot/Hidden Power Electric
-Surf

This is your special Daikenki. A STAB Hydro Pump off of a 108 Special Attack hurts like a mother. Ice Beam hits Grass types and Dragons nice and hard. HP Electric and Grass Knot hit Waters for Super Effective. Surf is your safe STAB move, since Hydro Pump tends to miss in those crucial moments.

Support them Wotter!

Daikenki@Leftovers
Ability: Shell Armor
EVs: 252 Hp, 220 Special Defense, 36 Defense
Nature: Calm

Moveset:

-Boiling Water
-Toxic
-Grass Knot
-Protect/Roar/Rest

This is a supporting Daikenki. Boiling Water is your STAB move and is your Water version of Lava Plume. Toxic hurts those Bulky Waters. Grass Knot does the same. Protect stalls for some Toxic/Burn damage, Roar can phaze out ResTalkers. Rest is recover, but you would have to have some Aromatherapy support.

Mixed Wotter!

Daikenki@Expert Belt/Life Orb
EVs: 244 Speed, 104 Attack, 162 Special Attack
Nature: Naive/Hasty

Moveset:

-Aqua Jet
-Hydro Pump
-Megahorn
-Grass Knot

This is great as a mixed attacker. Aqua Jet is great Priority STAB, Hydro Pump is special STAB. Megahorn is the Grass type killer move with great base power. Grass Knot hits the Bulky Waters that wall this to no end.

This is my favorite starter out of them all because he's like a fucking beast Narwhal. And he's got good mixed capabilities and some great moves. And he's a water type so thats good offensive and defensive capabilities. Yes hes awesome. EDIT: I guess he isn't a narwhal. Wotter ftw!​

For the Special set:

Daikenki @ Swimming Goggles
EVs: 252 Special Attack, 252 Speed, 4 Def.
Nature: Timid

Moveset:

-Hydro Pump
-Blizzard
-Grass Knot
-Hidden Power Electric

Actually it's more of a River Otter with a horn, but that aside I think we're missing an obligatory Swimming Goggles set.

EVs: 86 HP, 252 Sp. Attack, 172 Speed (For Timid, possibly 252 if running Modest)
Nature: Modest / Timid
Moveset:
+Hydro Pump
+Blizzard
+Air Slash / HP Electric
+Grass Knot / HP Electric

If you go with Timid, you'll want at least 241ish speed to outspeed threats like Raikou and other base 115s. Daikenki has a very respectable 108 Sp. Attack stat, and good HP with average, albeit acceptable, defenses. Outspeeding base 115s should be good enough, though you can go for full speed if you want. The rest of the EVs are invested into Sp. Attack and HP so the good HP could be put to some use, while you fire off high power moves with boosted accuracy thanks to Swimming Goggles.

With Hydro Pump and Blizzard being fired off with great accuracy, it'll be a pain to switch in, and for coverage reasons you have Air Slash, Grass Knot or a Hidden Power. The main problem Daikenki will probably face will be other bulkier water types, and thus Grass Knot or HP Electric can help very much with such threats. The set can also be altered to run some mixed attacks as well, but I feel Daikenki + Swimming Goggles benefits more from sp. attacks (though more accuracy on Megahorn is nice).

It's unconfirmed yet how much Swimming Goggles boosts speed, so lets not go way too optimistic with the natures and EVs here... unless I've missed something.

EDIT: Does it learn Air Slash at all? If not, maybe it can use Dragon Tail instead to play around with Blissey (assuming there's no negative priority).

This guy kind of reminds me of Infernape, though the the speed is a bit of a problem without swimming goggles. It has both high ATK and SPA ATK and I can see him running more mixed sets than just a solid ATK set and so on. I like the mix set above but it leaves you vunerable to Dragons that could come in and set up, like Salamence or Sazando. A good set to me is like this:

Daikenki @Swimming Goggles
Ev: 4 HP/60 ATK/ 192 SPA/ 252 SPE
Nature: Naive/Hasty
Hydro Pump
Blizzard
Megahorn
Grass Knot

The attack evs are so that Daikenki can still hit pokemon hard that would wall his special attacks, like gen iv Blissey and Snorlax. Due to it's lack of access to EQ, Megahorn is the strongest physical move it can learn that does SE damage to one of it's weaknesses. I maximized speed to make full use of Swimming Goggles and gave him Hydro Pump for massive STAB Damage and Blizzard to hit Dragons, Flying, Grasses not weak to bug, since they get an accurace boost from the goggles (don't know if this has been confirmed or by how much it increases). Last, GK is for bulky water types like Swampert who could cause problems and wall while setting up.

I'm new to making up sets so if it sucks you know why. Please don't flame! Samurai Sea Lion for the Win!!!

It's unconfirmed yet how much Swimming Goggles boosts speed, so lets not go way too optimistic with the natures and EVs here... unless I've missed something.

EDIT: Does it learn Air Slash at all? If not, maybe it can use Dragon Tail instead to play around with Blissey (assuming there's no negative priority).
Air Slash is an Egg move for Mijumaru.

And yeah, I might be jumping the gun on the Swimming Goggles.

When I first saw those base stats, I was more than just disappointed. But Swimming Googles is just an god sent here (as it is for probably all water types). I could hardly think of a better stat spread now factoring swimming googles, as too much speed would be overkill. The only problem I have with the item is, it just sounds too good... Even if the speed boost is not 1 stage (aka 50%, which I honestly think it will be, because we've never had a stat boosting anything that didn't go by stages) but instead something like 20% (which it will be at least IMO), that item is just too good to be true.

Now I'm not familiar with accuracy boosts, so I can't tell if even a 1 stage boost would be enough to make Blizzard accurate enough (read, 85% at least), but if it is good enough the best set would probably be this

EVs: 86 HP, 252 Sp. Attack, 172 Speed (For Timid, possibly 252 if running Modest)
Nature: Modest / Timid
Moveset:
+Hydro Pump
+Blizzard
+Air Slash / HP Electric
+Grass Knot / HP Electric
Out speeding base 115 already sounds insane and is immensely important to get the jump on Starmie and Raikou. I'm just not sure how useful HP Electric and Air Slash are. Maybe moving the HP EVs into Attack and choosing a Naive or Hasty nature and putting Mega Horn in that 3rd slot to make Blissey at least feel your hit a little would be a good idea? Too bad it doesn't get Close Combat to just blow past Blissey.

The SD set will be very fun to try out. He does have a nice bulk which may let him survive attacks, and KO back. I'm very curious to how much Swimming Goggles will boost his speed, and any accuracy boost on Megahorn will be a very nice addition. But even with a Life Orb, this set has a good potential in my eyes.

Even if the speed boost is not 1 stage (aka 50%, which I honestly think it will be, because we've never had a stat boosting anything that didn't go by stages) but instead something like 20% (which it will be at least IMO), that item is just too good to be true.
Wise Glasses gave a 10% boost to accuracy, which normally has stages of 33%.

What we haven't had is a stat boosting item that boosts a stat one full stage without a serious drawback, and furthermore one that does so while also boosting another stat. A full 50% boost to Speed is out of the question.

Besides, boosts from items don't work alongside stages; they just parallel them.

aVocado

@ Everstone
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Encore definitely needs a mention in your sets.

I can definitely see an Encore + SD set pwning..

Daikenki @ Swimming Goggles / Life Orb
Adamant / Jolly
252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
- Swords Dance
- Encore
- Aqua Tail
- Megahorn / Return

And it definitely needs a mention in the support set.

Problem with Daikenki is its shallow offensive movepool. Swords Dance with Encore is also limited by coverage; for example the Aqua + Return/Megahorn/Revenge that's been touted throughout this thread leaves you walled by Burunkeru (while Night Slash leaves it screwed by Sazando). So many Water Absorbers this generation sort of screwed it up since you're doing lame damage to Suicune and Gamageroge.

This is the only physical set I can see working (feel free to disagree):

Daikenki@Leftovers
Adamant 160 HP / 252 Atk / 96 Spe
- Swords Dance
- Waterfall
- Night Slash
- Revenge

Maxing speed is useless so this lets it beat no-speed base 81s like Milotic and Roar Gyarados which means you'll be hitting before most Skarmory and Metagross, should be enough. Focusing on bulk lets it get the Swords Dance boosts in which is the main reason why Daikenki should even be used really.

Apart from this, the special Swimming Goggles set seems the most viable since its average speed gets boosted and it can abuse Blizzard and Hydro Pump effectively.

@Above, agree that Encore/Taunt should be mentioned on the support set to prevent it from being set-up bait for Dragons and Nuttre.

It is a true crime that he does not get shell break. Daikenki would be monster with that. I am sure he will get it eventually though

Swimming goggles doesn't actually exist in the game. It was a hoax.

And I really like this pokemon. The sword dance set I think is the best one with Life orb.

An awesome pokemon imo. Sadly, I have no idea what the hell gf was thinking. They made a water pokemon starter with such a small move pool that it made the other four laugh until they crapped themselves. It's faster, but less bulky than Swampert and Empoleon, but has greater attack stats but is slower than Feraligatr, and worse Blastoise. Blastoise for goodness sake!!! I mean come on! It's a freaking samurai! It's supposed to be BA not a pile or crap! I hope the next game gets it right or this guy will fall into disuse, which is a shame.

I'm not flaming. Quite honestly I love this guy and want to start with him in BW, but everything about him except for his design is really killing it for me and I hope you guys can change my opinion of him, because the way things are going even the fire starter is looking better. :'(

Picture for the OP.

Anyway.. even without Swimming Goggles as an option, Daikenki can still function as a useful bulky water. With Leftovers and Surf/Grass Knot/Ice Beam it gains good coverage, hitting most components of F/W/G cores for SE damage. It is also physically bulkier and stronger offensively than Milotic. The last slot can contain Taunt/Toxic/Encore to deter set-up.

First off, I don't get where people are getting this perception that he's a "samurai." He's on all fours and doesn't look like a typical samurai.

Second, I'm disappointed in his design. So much potential from the second from. Could've even been a great Water/Fighting maybe mixed attacking with Aura Sphere or Sacred Sword?

Can't be changed now though. He has a nice niche with that Waterfall/Megahorn but if only he was faster.

First off, I don't get where people are getting this perception that he's a "samurai." He's on all fours and doesn't look like a typical samurai.

Second, I'm disappointed in his design. So much potential from the second from. Could've even been a great Water/Fighting maybe mixed attacking with Aura Sphere or Sacred Sword?

Can't be changed now though. He has a nice niche with that Waterfall/Megahorn but if only he was faster.
Back when the starters first came out, I predicted that Wotter would become a speedy physical attacker with a water/fighting typing. I got really excited when Futachimaru was unveiled because his design led me to believe that he would be water/fighting. Daikenki is pretty awesome regardless, and I see a lot of potential for him in the future. It's a damn shame he didn't get Shell Break though. :/

Potential Set #1: (Special Attacker)
Ability: Shell Armor
EVs: 252 Special Attack, 252 Speed, 4 anywhere

Hydro Pump/Boiling Water
Ice Beam
Hidden Power Electric
Grass Knot/Air Slash/Encore

Hydro Pump for some nice STAB action, Boiling Water if you don't mind the power decrease and prefer the chance of burn. Ice Beam for some nice coverage. Hidden Power Electric for Gyara and flying and the like. The fourth slot is pretty whatever, Encore might be the best choice to catch your opponent by surprise.

Personally I compare Daikenki to Raichu, both for access to Encore and a 2x boosting move.
Though clearly daikenki has a lot more potential, having good coverage and priority.

*Whispers to Raichu above comment*

Raichu just exploded in fury.

also- yay 50th post!

I totally agree about that "samurai potential" bit. I was very disappointed too when I saw this... thing. His face loses that intensely serious expression (and thus, most of his personality) and to me, looks like a balloon dog. You know, like the ones clowns make for little kids.

There is a little bit of samurai in him, though. For one, the helmet looks like a samurai helm, sans horn. The pokédex entry says he uses the shells on his forearms as a sword, but until I see the anime portray this, I can't envision it. And his mustache looks similar to the "mustaches" seen on some faceguards (for fear tactics, I believe), as seen here:

Wikipedia had a better image, but it's gigantic.

Halfway there, Sugimori. But just not quite there.

As for his competitive viability, Encore is really a great asset for him, and his overall balanced stats ensure that he'll be pretty standard and unimpressive, but alright in his own regard.

Picture for the OP.

Anyway.. even without Swimming Goggles as an option, Daikenki can still function as a useful bulky water. With Leftovers and Surf/Grass Knot/Ice Beam it gains good coverage, hitting most components of F/W/G cores for SE damage. It is also physically bulkier and stronger offensively than Milotic. The last slot can contain Taunt/Toxic/Encore to deter set-up.
What's the point of using him as a bulky water when you can just use Empoleon who has, IIRC, better defensive stats and an awesome defensive typing (And has those exact 3 moves you listed, and has higher SpA while we're at it)? ?_? Yay no Fighting weak I guess?

The only reason I would use him competitively would be for Swords Dance + Encore, or a late game liechi / salac sweeper with Aqua Jet and Swords Dance.

Unfortunately, Daikenki is only marginally better than offensive Milotic as its 8 points in Special Attack and 6 in Defense come at the cost of Marvel Scale, Recover (Amazing on a Life Orb Sweeper), 55 Points in Special Defense, and 11 in Speed.

I wish he was better!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)