Sheer Force

Deck Knight

Blast Off At The Speed Of Light! That's Right!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Encourage is one of the most interesting new abilites. Encourage has been tested and confirmed to have this effect in-gamge:

Code:
[B]Encourage:[/B] Attacks [B]with a chance [/B]of secondary effects do 30% more damage, but lose that secondary effect chance.

[B]Secondary effects:[/B] burn, confusion, flinch, freeze, paralysis, poison, sleep, and stat-downs [B]on the opposing pokemon, on attacks that deal damage.[/B]
Common accessible competitive moves that Encourage would boost under this definition:

Code:
Air Slash
Body Slam
Boiling Water
Blaze Kick
Blizzard
Crunch
Crush Claw
Earth Power
Extrasensory
Fire Blast
Fire Fang
Fire Punch
Flamethrower
Flare Blitz
Flash Cannon
Focus Blast
Force Palm
Heat Wave
Ice Beam
Ice Fang
Ice Punch
Iron Head
Iron Tail
Lava Plume
Poison Jab
Psychic
Rock Climb
Rock Slide
Sludge Bomb
Thunder
Thunder Fang
Thunderbolt
Thunderpunch
Waterfall
Zen Headbutt
Pokemon with Encourage:
Rohpushin
Hihidaruma
Kurimugan
Wargle

Dream World:
Nidoqueen
Nidoking
Kingler
Tauros
Feraligatr
Steelix
Hariyama
Mawile
Trapinch
Rampardos
Randorusu

The most immediate thing to notice with this list is that the overwhelming majority of boosted moves are Special attacks, while most of Encourage's users are more physically inclined.

For its natural users, there are a few strategies they can employ. Hihidaruma is the most immediate beneficiary, as it's Fire Punch and Flare Blitz gets boosted to an adjusted 97.5 and 156 Base Power, respectively. With 140 Atk and 95 Spe, this is a fearsome primary option indeed. Rock Slide is similarly boosted, and combined with Earthquake for the exceptional Fire/Rock/Ground coverage combination, Hihidaruma will be an imposing threat indeed. Be careful of Flare Blitz's recoil though, with insane damage comes insane recoil.

Rohpushin doesn't get much aid from Encourage (if this definition is true), but there's a few benefits. It's a bit slow to flinch so it isn't missing that from Rock Slide, and for all the knocks, 104 BP Poison Jab isn't that bad when your STAB hits most Steel types for either nuetral or super-effective damage. Perhaps if there are ever elemental punch tutors Rohpushin will shine, but for now Guts is probably its superior ability with Boiling Water about.

Kurimugan has a lot of options, given it gets Fire Fang and Thunder Fang and from egg moves and also has Crunch and Rock Slide(TM). Sadly it doesn't get Dragon Rush, which would have benefitted from a power boost to offset its questionable accuracy.

Wargle is similarly situated to Rohpushin, but doesn't have another good ability to fall back on. Crush Claw isn't as powerful as Return so that's about the extent of its Normal STAB.

The Dream World is a different beast though. Notably, Randorusu (the Ground/Flying genie) has 115 SpA, and possesses Earth Power. Additionally it has Psychic and Rock Slide (with 125 Atk).

Nidoking and Nidoqueen have extensive special movepools through TM, and of course also posses STAB Earth Power.

Steelix has a plethora of physical attacks that can make use of Encourage, including all the fangs, Crunch, Rock Slide, and Iron Tail (which becomes a 130 BP, 75 acc attack with no drawback) and Curse.

Rampardos is also interesting for its diverse special movepool With Scarf it outspeeds Base 110 Pokemon and can make excellent use of many of these special moves.

Now hopefully Encourage will be a little bit more extensive, but if it it isn't these are the Pokemon you should look out for. Discuss at your leisure.

Update: Encourage has been tested and is a 1.3x boost to the listed moves.

Deck Knight

Blast Off At The Speed Of Light! That's Right!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Is it confirmed / tested that encourage does not negate recoil and stat drops?
Yeah, it doesn't negate any negative primary effects like self-stat drops, recoil, recharge turns, etc. The testing is generally that the move must have some effect other than damage on the opposing Pokemon for Encourage to boost its power, and that effect on the opposing Pokemon will not occur. Effects to your own Pokemon are not negatable.

PK Gaming said:
Wait it's LUCK based? Like the boost only has a CHANCE of happening. That does not bode well.
No: the boost always occurs, but only on moves that have a secondary effect chance. E.g. Fire Punch will always have the boosted power but will never burn.

This is a potent ability. On something like feraligatr who wields ice punch and waterfall, encourage really power up the weaker but more reliable moves. With 180 powered waterfall, 112 ice punch and something like swords dance or agility....

Flare Blitz is not on the list of compatible moves, although it should be. Flare Blitz has a 10% chance of burning its target. It's one of the major selling points of Hihidaruma, and it's insane power. A 180 base power move that receives STAB (bringing it up to 270 base power).

I'm curious about Thrash and the Fangs

Thrash: The confusion can be negated with Safeguard, so it's not an automatic thing like recharge or stat drops. However, it doesn't say in it's description that it "has a chance", so it could go either way. If thrash gets the Encourage boost, then I see Feraligatr and Wargle getting a lot more popular.

The Fangs: They have 2 potential side effects since they can Flinch and/or Freeze/Burn/Paralyze, so I'm curious if they get a double boost. If they do, Steelix is scary good along with Feraligatr (again) since they'd now have 146 BP (or is it 130?).

My overall thoughts, though, is that Feraligatr is the biggest winner. He has both Dragon Dance and Swords Dance, a plethora of moves that have side effects (Waterfall being the biggest), good natural bulk, and the new item Swimming Goggles only does good things for him by boosting his speed. Swords Dance/Waterfall/Ice Punch or Ice Fang/Earthquake along Swimming Goggles makes him quite intimidating.

Yes! I love Feraligatr! The fact that he finally has something over Gyarados is great!

Boosted Ice Punch is fantastic, and the fact that he can now hit reasonably hard on the special side is cool.

As if his monowater typing wasn't enough reason for ME to use him over Gyarados. (Yeah I know he's worse though u___u)

Nothing special but Mix Nidoking enjoys the boost quite a lot. With 135 BP Earth Power, 142.5 BP Ice Beam and 142.5 BP Thunderbolt, he could possibly trade off some SpA for more speed.

That's not what I was referring to, I was referring to whether or not Encourage boosts the power of say, Hammer Arm or Superpower, even if it doesn't remove the side effect. Looking again at the OP though, there's a couple lines saying that we're not sure if this is the case.

Yes! I love Feraligatr! The fact that he finally has something over Gyarados is great!

Boosted Ice Punch is fantastic, and the fact that he can now hit reasonably hard on the special side is cool.

As if his monowater typing wasn't enough reason for ME to use him over Gyarados. (Yeah I know he's worse though u___u)
Lets be serious for a moment... Gyarados received Overconfidence which raises his attack stat every time he faints an opponent. This makes Gyarados better than Feraligatr since raising attack does more damage than raising stab. Gyarados is now also a potential great choice scarf user as well as a tried and true dragon dance user.

Lets be serious for a moment... Gyarados received Overconfidence which raises his attack stat every time he faints an opponent. This makes Gyarados better than Feraligatr since raising attack does more damage than raising stab. Gyarados is now also a potential great choice scarf user as well as a tried and true dragon dance user.
Let's be serious again...Gyarados has, at best, shaky physical bulk without Intimidate. Oh, and lets not forget Swords Dance Infernape got a new toy in Iron Fist Thunderpunch. Walling Physical attackers (particulary the aforementioned SD Ape) was one of Gyarados' jobs, but without Intimidate he can no longer do that. Overconfidence will still see usage, but not nearly as much as Intimidate. On the other hand, 99% of Feraligatr will run Encourage since it's one the best abilities in the game and it benefits him better than OC does Gyara.

Let's be serious again...Gyarados has, at best, shaky physical bulk without Intimidate. Oh, and lets not forget Swords Dance Infernape got a new toy in Iron Fist Thunderpunch. Walling Physical attackers (particulary the aforementioned SD Ape) was one of Gyarados' jobs, but without Intimidate he can no longer do that. Overconfidence will still see usage, but not nearly as much as Intimidate. On the other hand, 99% of Feraligatr will run Encourage since it's one the best abilities in the game and it benefits him better than OC does Gyara.
Wanna be serious... AGAIN? choice scarf and +1 dd gyarados outspeed infernape and kill with waterfall. Since Aqua jet is an egg move, Feraligatr does not get it, which would leave it wide open to a crushing by infernape. Unless it ran the dd set, and got the +1 in. then both of them take care of infernape, so why do you argue?

Stellar

of the Distant Past
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
I just want to point out that it is possible that Flare Blitz / Volt Tackle receive a boost but lose their chance to burn / paralyze while maintaining recoil. I will test this out later.

If Flare Blitz is boosted, Adamant CB Hihidaruma can OHKO non-Flash Fire max HP Shanderaa with Flare Blitz and can 2HKO 252/252 Bold Slowbro with SR and Lefties factored in. Scary thoughts.

How about something along these lines:

Wargle @ Life Orb/Leftovers/Lum Berry/whatever
Jolly/Adamant - Encourage
252 attack/252 speed/4 HP
Claw Sharpen
Crush Claw
Brave Bird
Superpower

Unlike Staraptor, Wargle doesn't have to lock himself in with a Choice Band. He has the option to boost his attack with Claw Sharpen, which would then leave him much freer to pick moves at leisure, and overall make him less suicidal than 'Raptor. With that little extra bit of bulk he can afford to set up and maybe even run Lefties or a Berry over a boost item. Crush Claw gets a 50% thanks to Encourage, making it the STAB of choice over Return. Superpower would be for Rocks and Steels only, as that attack/defense drop isn't favorable. Shame Freefall doesn't have the chance for an Encourage boost, it could make it a contender against BB. Thoughts?

I'm curious to see if Critical Boosted moves gain any power. Slash, Cross Chop, etc, would be interesting.

Yeah, it doesn't negate any negative primary effects like self-stat drops, recoil, recharge turns, etc. The testing is generally that the move must have some effect other than damage on the opposing Pokemon for Encourage to boost its power, and that effect on the opposing Pokemon will not occur. Effects to your own Pokemon are not negatable.
I'm going to resist the urge to say 'I told you so' after the Black/White discussion thread back on Stark Mountain.

Instead, this seems a very interesting ability, mostly for Nidoking. It really can make use of a special/mix set with Earth Power over Earthquake and Encourage, and it has the better attacking stats to pull off some damn-good wallbreaking for a late-game sweeper. Let's also face it: It's a hell of a lot better than Poison Point.

Possible Nidoking set:
Earth Power/Ice Beam/Thunderbolt/Stone Edge
Just throwing it out there.

Tauros could also see some beneficial use of moves like Zen Headbutt with Encourage, though I still feel that Intimidate is better for him. I'm a bit concerned for the fact Deck brought up, that there's a LOT more special moves to benefit this than physical, yet a majority of the Encourage users are special. Perhaps a Skill Swap set for a setup Partner in Doubles or Triples would work out? Encourage Starmie with BoltBeam/Surf or Boiling Water (Depends on if Encourage pushes it to be stronger than Surf)/Recover for example. It'd hurt like hell.

I wonder if they boost Earthquake and Surf, since they both have an effect on the opponent (double damage for divers/diggers).

ginganinja

It's all coming back to me now
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Yeah Nidoking and Feraligatr both love this.

Hihidaruma will just smash things with STAB Flare Blitz. Its rather unfortunate however that it has a slight bias to special moves however.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)