Finals Smogon's Official Ladder Tournament X - Finals [Won by lax]

hs

Banned deucer.
Grats to lax on winning Official Ladder Tournament X! I could not think of a more deserving winner after past close calls, so I hope you enjoy this victory. It has been amazing seeing you put up such consistent results across the entire individual tournament circuit, so I am very glad you finally get the chip and proud of you!

I will be stepping down as Tournament Director effective immediately with Official Ladder Tournament X having concluded. I still intend to oversee the rollout and hosting of the first Smogon Masters, but my time overseeing the entire tournament circuit is done. I came into this community many years ago with hopes of having a fun time playing, but many years later I have made many friends and learned so many valuable lessons about work ethic, leadership, and so much more that have helped make me the person I am today. For this, I am eternally grateful to the bulk of Smogon.

I will be sticking around as a contributor in some tournament circles, but this move allows for me to shift my efforts into my primary focus: putting up results as a player while I still run OU, which I hope to do for at least the remainder of this generation. Thank you to everyone for trusting me across many different challenging situations over these last two years as TD and fuck you to everyone who was overly rude to me or my fellow TDs -- this is an incredibly stressful job and we do it for you on a volunteer basis, so the least you could do is be civilized. Constructive criticism is awesome and how we grow, but being unbearably rude is not.

With this in mind, good luck to the current TD team. Merritt you work hard and stay thorough despite doing the most thankless jobs; you have my respect and gratitude. The same goes for the remainder of the TDs.

lax

cloutimus maximus
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnuswon the 10th Official Ladder Tournamentis a Past SPL Championis a Past WCoP Champion
RBTT Champion
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/smogtours-gen9ou-727234
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/smogtours-gen9ou-727236
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/smogtours-gen9ou-727248

I honestly can't believe it. I've always been a mushy and sentimental person, so I'm gonna write my thoughts out now that I have the floor lmao

2019 seemed like THE year for me between WCOP and SPL, and losing out to Adaam in slam finals in a completely terrible fashion (3-0) made me believe I'd never have the chance to win an individual again. In fact, I never thought I would even try for an individual again as life was catching up to me.

I was just messing around waiting to play Valorant with my boys when I thought "lol maybe I should join stour and fuck around" in like week 4 (?), and I ended up winning that tour, sucking me back into the vortex of Pokemon again. I narrowly qualified for that tournament playoffs (after trolling with Beedrill) due to outside circumstances and definitely not my own skill, and then I bombed out of qualifiers vs Scarlet Stars due to nice plays by them and also binning my game 3. Then, I miraculously had a 3 day weekend during OLT W2, and I decided fuck it. I'll try to qualify. I had no expectations to win this tournament at all but here we are

You gotta wonder at some point: why do people even care about these pixels? What drives people to invest a lot of their free time into winning pixels on a niche forum? The answer is the people. I wouldn't be where I am if not for the countless friends I've made along the way and everybody else that supported and rooted for me. I wouldn't give a fraction of a shit if not for the people I met through this website, which is why this is going to be an insanely big shoutout post.
Frost/WoA/Monotype: this is where it all started for me, where I first decided that learning how to play Pokemon competitive could be fun
Kammi all falls down Booty Isza (will always know you by Kaiser) Attribute (lil suiryu ;w;) Ticken Endal Ridley Yahir Wyn Jyph feen Chaitanya Zukushiku Clearly North iGlack Dirpz Omega-Xis 1 True Lycan Paleo rnbs @thethorn scpinion Wanka Azelea Jak @zarif and so many more.. 95% of the people here won't ever see this message, but you guys are the only reason I ever decided to put care into this game and my original and most cherished friend group. There were some difficult irl circumstances during high school, but logging onto frost honestly made my day on many days. Something about larping as gym leaders helps deal with all the burdens of school.
SAO FAN CLUB: tko trash HT my brothers for life. You guys know how I feel about you. Japan soon.
NU: Silver Aurum marilli you two brought me into NU when I was a complete random and I thought to myself "this is the tier that's gonna get me in SPL", and I would've never found interest in the tier without you two, thanks
West: z0mOG shiloh Lavos Philip7086 undisputed craing ;_; psychicmewtwo Oristeros you guys took a chance on an impulsive, moody teen and look where we went. I remember when we won wcop, I made a post that said "if we all decided to play wcop again, I'll always be there". well, that was a fat fuckin lie LMAO. I would never leave west with our generation, our legacy, but I hope you can forgive me for wanting to see what's on the other side
NE: I just swapped over recently but you guys all helped me so much through support and just being good teammates and friends. Glad to get to know you guys
Various jerks: Gerk, TSS, TRU, Pabros, fuck idek there are way too many. I appreciate everyone who I became friends with
Poggerant: snaga SaDiSTiCNarwhal Ssalbap Splash Accel ckw dex Catalystic snaga has been with me from the very start from SPL IX til now, and I'll always appreciate "giving me the chance to play" as he likes to say it :joy: ty for being with me on my journey brother
The rest of poggerant has filled many of my days with constant laughter and just having a good time except when we play those dumbass smurfs who talk shit. Can always count on a chill time with you guys

MY OLT OU TEAM:
CTC - the only reason I qualified is bc you always sauced me up with teams that made my games enjoyable. always appreciate the constantly feedback even though you flame me quite a bit
blunder - got off on the wrong foot but you became a great friend. everyone would say that vert's gonna eat my asshole, but you always told me I was gonna win enough to make me believe it
ayevon - ty for the last minute help. your sv knowledge is incredible and I quite literally used like 5/6 of the techs you suggested me to bring. glad to reconnect with an old friend from the gerk
Nat Vert Giannis Antetokommo-o helping me with team options and support. appreciated as always
fade for the constant support and making me invigorated through your victory royales

ima my day 1 brother. you helped me so much since the start of SV, and you know how much you mean to me. anytime you need anything, you hit me up. SV is your game, and the ring will come soon. I know it.

and my final shoutout goes to Herv idk why you put such blind trust and confidence in me, but you've been cheering me on and supporting me since day 1 of SV. you're a day 1 fan and I always appreciate that
If people feel like I missed them I'm so sorry LOL. This all just came out and became a messy blob of how I feel about Pokemon, so nothing personal at all; I'm sure I missed some pretty important players

A big reason on why this is such a sappy, tryhard post is that this was the last opportunity for me to win an individual. I mentioned earlier, but life is fr catching up, and I'm not gonna be able to care or try even close to the same as I've done throughout the years. I plan on finishing everything I'm currently in. I might still sign up for things, but you guys might be seeing 2-11 lax more than OLT winner lax you feel. You're gonna see less of me in general ;[

Thank you to everyone who supported me and cheered for me. Wouldn't have done it without you. GGs to Vert and the others.

gaming.

edit: uploaded the analysis :salute:

Last edited:
happy with my performance this tournament even if i coulda picked some better teams and went about certain turns differently in the very end. that said, it's time for a break. i'm pretty damn exhausted from the nonstop playing this past year haha. all i can say is i'll have to reflect on my losses and seal the deal whenever the next opportunity presents itself. the tier post-DLC is quite challenging to be consistent at; the game is the game however. i love the competition and the amazing players i've met on this site. thank you njnp for the help with teams and preparation. same with Giannis Antetokommo-o and lookin' forward to seeing you win smogon masters bro.

as a competitor the feeling of coming this far and losing is pretty crummy, but as a friend i'm happy for you lax. that 1-individual, 2-team trophy looks blinged the fuck out.

now a toast to whether we can turn around our mediocre SCL season. congratz!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)