The SSBM General Discussion Thread

first off I want to greatly thank the topic creator for doing this.

I started trying a claw style grip the other day while I was playing Brawl. Difficult to get used to, but the advantages to it while playing Fox/Falco (in Melee) are totally obvious from the start.

I think I'm doing it a bit wrong, though. I'm having problems short hopping (with Y) and using the A button at the same time; my fingers might be too cramped around there (no problems with B). I've also found jump-cancelled grabs to be difficult (again, somewhat cramped fingers). I think it might be a bit easier if I take my thumb off the C-stick, but that's sorta important. Any advice here?
I'm not going to pretend I'm any expert on this "claw style grip" or whatever, but if your having trouble shuffling aerials, then maybe you should try using the X button. The way I hold a controller for my right hand, I have my index finger on the R/ Z buttons and my thumb hovers over A/B/X/C-stick. Am I right to assume that this "claw style" your talking about involves keeping the thumb on the c-stick at all times while using your index finger to hit A/B/Y and your next to fingers to hit Z+R? Because I've just tried it now and it feels weird. O_O

But anyway, if your hands are too big(like mine) maybe you should try the way I hold it? If your really dedicated to this weird way of holding it, then all I can say is practice with it. Maybe you can try to slide over Y to A? I don't know: It's a big mystery to me how you even attempt to hold a controller this way lol.

Sorry for not being able to give concrete advice.

OK so I'm gonna kind of bump this by jumping off of where the "King of Smash" thread should have left off, and ask if anyone knows some good melee video uploaders in general (preferably with fairly recent play imo).

some that I've subscribed to:

http://www.youtube.com/user/TrucidOL8R I know has some good recent tournament matches with commentary that I really liked.

http://www.youtube.com/user/sweetxignorance has just like a shitload of old matches and stuff which is always cool

http://www.youtube.com/user/Gimpyfish62 of course everyone loves gimpyfish blah blah, but I did just realize that he uploaded a good chunk of melee videos again so that's cool.

I dunno that's all I can think of offhand, this was pretty much just an excuse to bump this thread which was inexplicably on page two despite people clearly still not being over the whole melee v brawl thing lol

The.Lost.Hylian

Conquer your Shadow
is a Researcher Alumnus
I moved on to Brawl, and then realized I preferred Melee, so that's what I've been playing. Unlike many of you, Brawl and Melee play as two separately different games for me, so habbits I've developed on Brawl do not "plague" me on Melee.

I use mainly Sheik and Ganondorf, though when playing someone I've never played before, I usually first play them as Samus, as she is my neutral character, and I can play distance or in-your-face with her, which allows me to determine the kind of gameplay my opponent uses. I need to work on her bomb-cancelling, but it's not a priority of mine, as she isn't the character I'd use in a tournament, but merely my warm up character. Ganondorf is my favorite character, though I'm better with Sheik, sadly. In my prime, I could SHFFL F-Air spam with Ganon or SHFFL D-Air bounce combo my opponents into oblivion, but after meeting the best player at NCSU when I was there, I had to find another character who could take on his Marth (obviously you can infer my Ganondorf had trouble against his Marth). After dicking around with random characters, I used Sheik in a match against said Marth, and did better than usual, so I stuck with him/her (???) and eventually I was one of if not the best Sheik on campus. Since then, I've become "godly" with Sheik, as my friends tell me. I've got a couple friends who refuse to play me if I'm Sheik since I easily 4 stock them with under 120%.

In my boredom I've picked up Fox, who interested me after I witnessed the number 1 ranked Melee player in the state of North Carolina rape everyone in the tournament he played with me in at NCSU. I was one of two people to at least kill him twice before losing, and the tourny had 60+ people, so I was rather ecstactic. Since actually seeing someone waveshine the shit out of a handful of people in person instead of in a video, I was determined to get waveshining down myself. I can waveshine, I just can't use it effectively in battle, and I'm not sure if it's because I don't get the perfect angle when I'm wavedashing during the waveshine due to fast finger movement, or if the opponents I play just can't easily be waveshined by a beginner. Not that it matters, I'm still not proficient enough with Fox to use him seriously, so I just stick to Sheik and Ganondorf. I wish Melee would be re-released as a download on the Wii with Wifi connectivity so I can engage in the glory of what I consider the greatest fighting game in history with others outside of my community :[

Surgo

goes to eleven
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
For a lot of opponents, khold, you actually have to walk forward slightly after the wavedash to shine them again. There are only like 4 guys you can actually shine right after the wavedash.

On the topic of melee videos... http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=195832

I'm sorry, but you cannot beat these. You can try, but you just can't.

@khold: If you're going to bother waveshining someone across the stage, you may as well learn to drillshine. Much higher damage output and actually has a purpose besides "ooh shiny" (pun not intended). I usually just uthrow -> uair out of a waveshine, or if I'm near a ledge I might try and go for the shinespike.

Bah I want to play melee now lol

Matthew

I love weather; Sun for days
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I played Brawl when it first game out, but I soon then realized that I missed the fast paced action-pack game of Melee. I came back and picked up my Fox / Falco pretty easily. The one thing Brawl did help me with was to never jump with the analog stick any more. Wavedash was easy to get back, my L-Cancel is still pretty shitty, and my Wave Shine is getting back.

=]

I'm trying to get a decent Samus, but the missle cancels timing is really awkward for me.

arguably the best player in the world right now.
I'd put Mew2King and DaShizWiz before Mango

Gen. Empoleon only M2K is better than Mango if anyone. DSW is good but not better.

Anyways my brother is the pro melee Falco player Forward. Discuss.

competitive children's games runs in the family? does your father play competitive Mario Kart?

so anyway I'm really pissed at Melee. I used to be able to SHFFL all over the place with my main man Marth, but after playing Brawl using MK and Falco I've lost it all. I couldn't even beat a level 9 computer.

Matthew

I love weather; Sun for days
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Gen. Empoleon only M2K is better than Mango if anyone. DSW is good but not better.

Anyways my brother is the pro melee Falco player Forward. Discuss.
Holy shit, your brother is Forward? That is amazing. Forward is probably one of my favorite players.

I've always found DSW better than Mango, but if you insist.

Woot melee! My crew and I play every saturday night.

While using the claw takes some getting used to the benefits for jiggly and fox and falco (mainly their waveshines) is immense.

I also concur with M2K and Shiz before Mango.

Old school are we? :) I haven't heard of Isai do anything for a couple years now... someone from California can correct me

Oh and Tink is moving to Fort Wayne soon so we are happy because our crew will all get better from it.

SS I think is considered better but idk. I think Darkrain is better than Isai was but I could just be wrong there. Darkrain just seems to always pull off the sickest shit. SS pulls off the flashiest combos but Darkrain pulls off the truly amazing stuff.

And I dunno, DSW is good but you have to realize that at Alukard's(Revival of Melee tourney) this past weekend Mango knocked DSW into Loser's bracket IN Falco dittos.

SS I think is considered better but idk. I think Darkrain is better than Isai was but I could just be wrong there. Darkrain just seems to always pull off the sickest shit. SS pulls off the flashiest combos but Darkrain pulls off the truly amazing stuff.

And I dunno, DSW is good but you have to realize that at Alukard's(Revival of Melee tourney) this past weekend Mango knocked DSW into Loser's bracket IN Falco dittos.
Wait, in falco dittos or puff vs falco? I could see mango knocking off Shiz with puff but not with falco.

I went to the Show Me Your Moves 9 last month where Darkrain won and he pulls of insane combos all the time. Once he starts a combo it ends with you losing a stock. His spacing is near perfect too

Yeah indeed his memoir is pretty cool.

Mango beat DaShizWiz in falco dittos in winners bracket iirc. Mango's falco is very very good.

The.Lost.Hylian

Conquer your Shadow
is a Researcher Alumnus
So, I play mostly Sheik and Ganondorf. In fact, 90% of my play is those two characters. Sadly, I'm getting trouble from my friend's Fox, who plays very defensively. Ganondorf doesn't cut it right now, and Sheik can win about 50% of the time. Unfortunately, I lost in the finals 4-1 in a recent tournament I held against said friend's Fox. Much of the problem was me missing the ledge when I'd recover with Sheik and me doing my running A too often for him to grab me. What I need to know is... how should I approach a defensive Fox with Sheik, or should I pick up Marth to counter his Fox?

The.Lost.Hylian

Conquer your Shadow
is a Researcher Alumnus
Fox is arguably the best character in the game, but Marth is considered the 3rd or 4th best character, depending on what tier listing you look at.

From what I understand, the top tier is consisting of:

1) Fox
2) Falco
3/4) Sheik/Marth

With Fox and Falco having a slight advantage over Sheik, Sheik having an advantage over Marth, and Marth having a slight advantage over Fox and Falco.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)