The SSBM General Discussion Thread

Fox is arguably the best character in the game, but Marth is considered the 3rd or 4th best character, depending on what tier listing you look at.

From what I understand, the top tier is consisting of:

1) Fox
2) Falco
3/4) Sheik/Marth

With Fox and Falco having a slight advantage over Sheik, Sheik having an advantage over Marth, and Marth having a slight advantage over Fox and Falco.

They've redone the tier list with a point system now

Fox and Marth are tied in 1st place which I agree with. Just look at the character of choice who has been used by the champion players. Marth has been top dog. There's no denying Fox's versatility though.

Sheik is in 3rd place with Falco in 4th. I find this to be strange as I feel Falco is probably the 3rd best but in discussing this with my crew, we figured it's because Sheik is one of the few characters that has an advantage on Marth and has excellent matchups with most of the charcters listed below it hence giving it a slight edge with points.

this thread is probably dead for a reason but then again I don't really care; also, Genesis just happened

results: http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=241080

the fact that things have managed to change this much, this long after the game was released, is really impressive. Mew2King with probably his worst placing since he first rose to the top (though he's still dominant in doubles of both melee and brawl), Armada putting Europe back on the map by coming closer to beating Mango than anyone's done in a long time and (controversially) beating M2K, and... just look at the character selection. Top 8 contains 3 Falcon mains, two Jigglypuffs, and a Peach. A Sheik main got thirteenth but she was otherwise almost irrelevant, and besides Mew2King, Marth seriously had worse representation than Ganondorf. At least for the time being, it's looking like "spacies" are taking somewhat of a backseat to "floaties," or at least as big a backseat as they've ever really taken in the history of this game. over 7 years from release, that's pretty amazing.

match videos can be found here: http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=241209

o.0 I hope M2K isn't going down hill like Ken did.

But anyways, Falcon is really showing his moves these days. It's too bad Isai (or the other awesome falcon mains) isn't around. He was, IMO, the best ^_^

Floaties > Spacies, anytime. And Jigglypuff > Fox.

Firestorm

I did my best, I have no regrets!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Did any of you go to Genesis? Couple of my friends flew down and seemed to have a blast. Top placing by BC seems to be 17th. Pretty good showing all around by both the province and country I felt. Too bad we lost to South in the Crew Battle =/

It's too bad Isai (or the other awesome falcon mains) isn't around. He was, IMO, the best ^_^
what other falcon mains are you talking about? Darkrain and Silentspectre attended, I had always thought those two and Isai were considered the "big three" with maybe Jiano kind of up there too. Scar has made his presence felt and was actually the top placing Falcon of the tournament though, he seems motivated.

Isn't that more because the tier list is misleading and Jiggly is top of top material?
Sheik has always been at or near the very top of the tier list, yet her actual results have usually been limited to a select few players (this time pretty much just Mew2King). so yeah, the tier list is a lot more theory-based than I'd like it to be, but whatever.

<3 Peach. She'll always be in my God tier.

I second the idea that Nintendo should remake melee. Take away the single player, add some minor balance changes, add wifi, and resell it. Easy cash right there.

Brawl is just too slow to be fun. Edgehogging is dead, combos nonexistent, peach got nerfed to oblivion... Such a waste of potential.

this thread is probably dead for a reason but then again I don't really care; also, Genesis just happened

results: http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=241080

the fact that things have managed to change this much, this long after the game was released, is really impressive. Mew2King with probably his worst placing since he first rose to the top (though he's still dominant in doubles of both melee and brawl), Armada putting Europe back on the map by coming closer to beating Mango than anyone's done in a long time and (controversially) beating M2K, and... just look at the character selection. Top 8 contains 3 Falcon mains, two Jigglypuffs, and a Peach. A Sheik main got thirteenth but she was otherwise almost irrelevant, and besides Mew2King, Marth seriously had worse representation than Ganondorf. At least for the time being, it's looking like "spacies" are taking somewhat of a backseat to "floaties," or at least as big a backseat as they've ever really taken in the history of this game. over 7 years from release, that's pretty amazing.

match videos can be found here: http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=241209
Armada putting Europe back on the map? US just never cared about Europe. For you guys, it never was on the map. Armada, Amsah etc. have always been extremely good. Probably just as good as the best US players.

Personally, I think Hungrybox shouldn't have beaten Shiz, that shouldn't have happened. Hungrybox is good, but not better than Shiz. Mango has been the best in the US for ages, so that's no surprise either. And it's really bad to let one European player influence your results this much.

All Marth mains quit, before Azen/Ken/Mew2king quit or started playing other games, they won EVERY SINGLES NATIONAL TOURNAMENT. I think the record is like 20 for Marth and 5 or 6 for the next one.

what other falcon mains are you talking about? Darkrain and Silentspectre attended, I had always thought those two and Isai were considered the "big three" with maybe Jiano kind of up there too. Scar has made his presence felt and was actually the top placing Falcon of the tournament though, he seems motivated.
I think Korean DJ is the best CF player of all time, even though he wasn't there.
As long as this is a Melee discussion, not Brawl, I'm happy.

I think Korean DJ is the best CF player of all time, even though he wasn't there.
As long as this is a Melee discussion, not Brawl, I'm happy.
How is KDJ better than Isai, Jeff, Darkrain, or even Scar?
I could only find one set of him using falcon, which was doubles, and i wasn't very impressed.
Isai was clearly the shit when he didnt sandbag, every pro back in the day had respect for him.
Jeff is jeff, Fancy tech skill stuff mixed with easy combo's and amazing reads along with some better than average DI.
Darkrain has been around for a while, he has proven his falcon to be competent.
Scar placed best out of any falcon at Genesis, which speaks for itself.
I would understand if you said his shiek was good but CF?

They've redone the tier list with a point system now

Fox and Marth are tied in 1st place which I agree with. Just look at the character of choice who has been used by the champion players. Marth has been top dog. There's no denying Fox's versatility though.

Sheik is in 3rd place with Falco in 4th. I find this to be strange as I feel Falco is probably the 3rd best but in discussing this with my crew, we figured it's because Sheik is one of the few characters that has an advantage on Marth and has excellent matchups with most of the charcters listed below it hence giving it a slight edge with points.
Thanks for posting that tier list - I've been looking for it for a while now!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)