UU Balance

Seeing the comments that have been posted about the team so far, I've made a lot of major changes. By saying I've made a major change, only two members of the original team posted remained and those members are Slowbro and Mamoswine. After reading the comments, I felt that the original team had a lot of flaws and had members that were more or less useless. I replaced the said Pokemon with members who fill a very specific and valuable role in my team. Without further ado, Team UU Balance edition 2

Myoriginal UU Balance team

Roserade (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 HP / 120 Def / 136 SDef
Calm Nature (+SDef, -Atk)
- Spikes
- Giga Drain
- Sludge Bomb
- Rest

Roserade is here to lay spikes down on the field and at the same time be able to absorb toxic spikes. Giga Drain is there for survivability, Sludge Bomb for reliable stab and that nice poison possibility, and Rest is there so he can recover some damage and in conjunction with Natural Cure makes for a very good long-lasting pokemon.

Zapdos @ Leftovers
Trait: Pressure
EVs: 248 HP / 228 Def / 8 SDef / 24 Spd
Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Roost
- Roar
- Thunderbolt
- Heat Wave

I like this Zapdos set because it gives me phazing as well as good recovery. Thunderbolt and Heat Wave are there so I can at least deal damage on the opponent.

Registeel @ Leftovers
Trait: Clear Body
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SDef
Careful Nature (+SDef, -SAtk)
- Stealth Rock
- Thunder Wave
- Seismic Toss
- Iron Head

Registeel is here to serve as my utility wall being able to set-up Stealth Rock and spread around Thunder Waves. Seismic Toss is there for good consistent damage and Iron Head is there for good physical STAB.

Slowbro (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SAtk
Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Scald
- Psychic
- Slack Off
- Fire Blast

Slowbro serves as my team's bulky water type with Slack Off, Regenerator and Leftovers recovery. Scald and Psychic are there for good Special STAB and Fire Blast is there for the Shaymin who'd like to switch-in to Slowbro.

Mamoswine (M) @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Snow Cloak
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Icicle Crash
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Frustration

Mamoswine serves as my team's revenge killer. Basic Mamoswine set speaks for itself.

Houndoom (M) @ Passho Berry
Trait: Flash Fire
EVs: 252 SAtk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Nasty Plot
- Hidden Power [Grass]
- Dark Pulse
- Fire Blast

In my opinion, the MVP of my team. He's won me many battles as my boosting special sweeper. This works best obviously, when the entry hazards are taking a toll on the opposing team. Dark Pulse and Fire Blast is there for good STAB and HP Grass is for coverage against Rock and Water types.

TEAM UU BALANCE (ed. 2)​

Donphan (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Impish Nature (+Def, -SAtk)
- Rapid Spin
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock
- Roar

Donphan, because of its function in the team replaced two of my past team members, being Zapdos and Registeel. I originally brought in Zapdos to become my main phazer but it turns out Zapdos was a bit too frail for the job. I also felt that Zapdos's attacks weren't doing enough damage which is also a reason why he had to go. Registeel was put in my team to lay down tocks and serve as a wall. But with the way my team was, I was weak to fighting and ground which severely limited Registeel's walling capabilities. By bringing in Donphan, I have myself a spinner which my team very much needs for Chandelure to come in and out safely to lay his damage and also just to limit the damage my team takes in general. In Donphan I also have myself a good phazer with Roar, which along with his giant physical defense makes a very good pair. Stealth Rock is there for entry hazard and the ever reliable Earthquake for a good STAB attack.

Chansey (F) @ Eviolite
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Spd
Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Heal Bell
- Wish
- Toxic
- Seismic Toss

Since I in technicality replaced both Zapdos and Registeel with Donphan. I wanted to bring in another dedicated wall to take hits that Donphan can't. These hits are usually from the special side and what better Pokemon to take them than standard Eviolite Chansey. By having her on my team, I've made a very good defensive core. Toxic is there to spread some status around or to cripple those who wish to boost alongside Chansey. Heal Bell is there for Chansey to serve as a cleric. Seismic Toss for good constant damage and Wish to heal herself or to pass a very nice amount of HP to her team mates.

Slowbro (M) @ Leftovers
Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Scald
- Psyshock
- Slack Off
- Fire Blast

Ah Slowbro, one of the original members of this team. I put him there to serve as 1/3 of the Grass-Water-Fire defensive core and he's done very excellently, as evidenced by not giving him the boot. Standard physically defensive Slowbro set. Scald is there for good STAB and a burn is very much welcome just as long as it isn't Heracross I'm dealing with. Psyschock used to be Psychic but when I read a comment from the thread, I did notice that it would give Slowbro some diversity if a pokemon with weak physical defense comes in on him. Slack Off is there for instant recovery which is very important in order to effectively wall some threats. Fire Blast is there for grass types who'd like to stay or come in on him. I'm lamenting replacing Fire Blast with Toxic but I'm not really sure. What do you think about that slot change guys?

Shaymin @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 76 SAtk / 180 Spd
Modest Nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
- Leech Seed
- Substitute
- Seed Flare
- Hidden Power [Fire]

Shaymin came in to replace the original grass type of my team being Roserade. Roserade was put in the team to lay down Spikes and deal some damage but after a few matches I found Roserade to die early and easily with most of the time getting only 1 layer of Spikes up. I felt that I didn't need her services anymore and called on SubSeed Shaymin. This pokemon's been doing very well in my recent matches serving as a good stall pokemon and at the same time being able to deal damage on opposing bulky waters. Shaymin is actually my best answer to the Milotics and the Suicunes who wish to break down my team.

- Icicle Crash
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Return

Also one of the original members of my team, I put in Mamoswine as a good revenge killer and so far hasn't disappointed. It kills all the things it needs to and is quite sturdy to boot. The EV spread is pretty standard and I put in Adamant to have some more kick on his attack.

Chandelure (M) @ Choice Specs
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
- Fire Blast
- Shadow Ball
- Energy Ball
- Hidden Power [Fighting]

Ah Chandelure, equipped with a Choice Specs and being Modest max SpA, he reaches over 600 Special Attack. Definitely the hardest hitting Pokemon in my team. It is a bit frail but that can be worked around by good strategy and his ability to switch in and out is severely hampered by Stealth Rock. That's why I needed Donphan for some spin support. Fire Blast and Shadow Ball for good STABs. Energy Ball is for the Rock types and the Water types who wish to ruin Chandelure's party. HP Fighting are for the Dark types who resist Shadow Ball. This Pokemon replaced Houndoom as my Fire type and to be honest I was very reluctant at first. Houndoom used to be my MVP being the special boosting sweeper that he is but after more battles, I found Houndoom to be frail and most often died very easily. By putting in Chandelure, I have my self a Fighting resist, a spinblocker and Flash Fire's boost is always welcome. Especially from the Sableyes who think they can Wow Donphan.

Well there's the second edition of my team guys! Please rate and give some more comments on how I could improve the team. This is a very fun team and I'd like you guys to give it a try too. :D

Team importable
Donphan (M) @ Leftovers
- Rapid Spin
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock
- Roar

Chansey (F) @ Eviolite
Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Heal Bell
- Wish
- Toxic
- Seismic Toss

Shaymin @ Leftovers
- Leech Seed
- Substitute
- Seed Flare
- Hidden Power [Fire]

Slowbro (M) @ Leftovers
Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Scald
- Psyshock
- Slack Off
- Fire Blast

- Fire Blast
- Shadow Ball
- Energy Ball

- Icicle Crash
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Return

Also guys! I am very open to comments and suggestions on how to improve the quality of my posts if what I had just posted does not fit the Smogon standard. Thanks guys! :D

Hey. Your team looks pretty good.

I would suggest running a chandelure over houndoom so that you have a spinblocker, because there is nothing worse than a hitmontop switching in and undoing 4 of your turns. You maintain your f/w/g core, and gain some key immunities.

It is up to you what set to run, personally I like the air balloon + flame charge set.

Hey. Your team looks pretty good.

I would suggest running a chandelure over houndoom so that you have a spinblocker, because there is nothing worse than a hitmontop switching in and undoing 4 of your turns. You maintain your f/w/g core, and gain some key immunities.

It is up to you what set to run, personally I like the air balloon + flame charge set.
Oh! Thanks for the reply! Yeah, I have been pondering a Chandelure set but I thought it would be slower than Houndoom and thus unable to perform a sweep. But I like that idea! And I appreciate that! I'll post some changes on my team if ever I make them :D

I, too, suggest Chandelure over Houndoom. You can try a Choice Scarf variant. It will act as a revenge killer as well. You can also try using a Choice Band Flygon set over your Mamoswine, if you use Chandelure. It will give your team another fire resister and has a pretty good synergy with Chandelure.

Sets:
Flygon (Choice Band)
EVs: 4 HP 252 Attk 252 Spe
Nature: Jolly / Adamant (Jolly is preferred)
-Outrage
-Earthquake
-U-Turn
-Stone Edge

Chandelure (Choice Scarf)
EVs 4 HP 252 Sp.Attk 252 Speed
Nature: Modest / Timid
-Fire Blast/Flamethrower
-Shadow Ball
-Energy Ball / Psychic
-Hidden Power Fighting

Good luck!

Moo

Professor
is an Artist Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Hey,

Just a quick rate, I played this team today and I just wanted to say that you're Alakazam weak. I suggest changing Houndoom to a mixed set, so you can deal with it better.

Houndoom (M) @ Life Orb
Trait: Early Bird
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SAtk / 252 Spd
Hasty Nature (+Spd, -Def)
- Pursuit
- Sucker Punch
- Fire Blast / Overheat
- Crunch / Hidden Power Grass

Try it out and let me know what you think.

Hope I helped, good luck with the team

I, too, suggest Chandelure over Houndoom. You can try a Choice Scarf variant. It will act as a revenge killer as well. You can also try using a Choice Band Flygon set over your Mamoswine, if you use Chandelure. It will give your team another fire resister and has a pretty good synergy with Chandelure.

Sets:
Flygon (Choice Band)
EVs: 4 HP 252 Attk 252 Spe
Nature: Jolly / Adamant (Jolly is preferred)
-Outrage
-Earthquake
-U-Turn
-Stone Edge

Chandelure (Choice Scarf)
EVs 4 HP 252 Sp.Attk 252 Speed
Nature: Modest / Timid
-Fire Blast/Flamethrower
-Shadow Ball
-Energy Ball / Psychic
-Hidden Power Fighting

Good luck!
Wow! Thanks for this! I indeed have noticed after playing a while that my opponents are finding it easier to counter Houndoom AND Mamoswine, my only offensive forces. Thanks and i'll definitely test these sets out! :D

Hey,

Just a quick rate, I played this team today and I just wanted to say that you're Alakazam weak. I suggest changing Houndoom to a mixed set, so you can deal with it better.

Houndoom (M) @ Life Orb
Trait: Early Bird
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SAtk / 252 Spd
Hasty Nature (+Spd, -Def)
- Pursuit
- Sucker Punch
- Fire Blast / Overheat
- Crunch / Hidden Power Grass

Try it out and let me know what you think.

Hope I helped, good luck with the team
Thanks for trying my team out and for the suggestion! Like I've mentioned, my opponents have recently found it easier to break through my Houndoom and I think this gives him diversity. Though with the recent disappointment I've had from Houndoom regarding it's lackluster speed and general frailty, I'll be trying out Chandelure in place of this set first. Thank you and I appreciate the suggestion! :D

I noticed that when I was changing my pokes around that I needed someone to rapid spin and i needed some ground resistances. I also began to notice that I didn't need Roserade's services anymore. This prompted to make MAJOR changes.

To replace Houndoom I used dragonboy52's Chandelure set. I used this because I thought my team needed a strong special attacking poke against Sableye and other Pokemon that think they could wall him. Also, the Flash Fire boost from a Sableye WoW or any other fire move is very much welcome.

- Fire Blast
- Shadow Ball
- Energy Ball

I also ended up replacing Zapdos because I put him there with the initial purpose of phazing. I read some UU pokes and found that I could have a spinner, physical wall, a stealth rocker, and a phazer in Donphan

Donphan (M) @ Leftovers
- Rapid Spin
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock
- Roar

Now that I have a good physical wall and stealth rocker in Donphan, I no longer needed the services of Registeel and instead opted to go for a better special wall in Eviolite Chansey.

Chansey (F) @ Eviolite
Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Heal Bell
- Softboiled
- Toxic
- Seismic Toss

Like I mentioned, I no longer needed Roserade's services and went for SubSeed Shaymin. This gives me an additional ground resist that I need.

Shaymin @ Leftovers
- Leech Seed
- Substitute
- Seed Flare
- Hidden Power [Fire]

I'll be updating the team soon when I finalize the team. I'm not yet really good at battling but the team is pretty good and is pretty fun to use. I hope more people can come in and comment on the team :D

Hi,

This team is looking really good my only concern would be with Slowbro I would suggest you replace Psychic with Psyshock just to provide it with more coverage options against special walls but that is totally optional.

Hi,

This team is looking really good my only concern would be with Slowbro I would suggest you replace Psychic with Psyshock just to provide it with more coverage options against special walls but that is totally optional.
Thanks thanks! I'll be sure to change that too! I think I do need that as of the moment

Don't mention it :)

I had Psychic with Reuniclus one time and it was a big mistake.
Your team looks well set now with all of the changes you've made.
Good luck!!!!

Thanks and that Psyshock's been doing very well! Also, edited my first post with team sprites, changes in the members and movesets. I've also put an importable in case anyone's interested in using it! Thanks guys! And I welcome even more comments for the team :D

Hi guys! I have to ask, my team has a glaring weakness for a Substitute Chandelure, what would be a good counter for it? :O

A good counter for Chandelure in UU... Any strong supereffective hit before the poke gets a Sub up, which shouldn't be too hard as Chandelure's base speed is 80. A Nidoking's Earth Power could (possibly) beat it, Darmanitans Rock Slide, Mismagius' Shadow Ball... many options. Wait no, you ScarfSwine can beat it! EQ all over the place, no need to worry.

col49

is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
UUPL Champion
Alrighty, just some minor points, as my knowledge isn't a deep as I'd like it to be. My main point is that Specslure is somewhat meh if you want to reserve him as a spin blocker, as most of the time the likes of Snorlax and Houndoom can just switch in with impunity and Pursuit you off. Accordingly, I would reccomend running something along the lines of a SubCM set, it allows you to have some safety against such Pursuit pokes, and you can actually set up against and beat Chansey, which is just plain fun. Also, Return on Mamo gets literally nothing for you in terms of coverage, I'd just run Ice Shard. Though Scarfed priority does sound dumb at first, you won't be saying the same thing when you can just go and pick of Flygon. Also, I really think that Roserade would be an great addition to your team, as it would just love Toxic Spikes. Have you trieed the specially bulky set? It works wonders

A good counter for Chandelure in UU... Any strong supereffective hit before the poke gets a Sub up, which shouldn't be too hard as Chandelure's base speed is 80. A Nidoking's Earth Power could (possibly) beat it, Darmanitans Rock Slide, Mismagius' Shadow Ball... many options. Wait no, you ScarfSwine can beat it! EQ all over the place, no need to worry.
Thanks! One thing to remedy this is I've made my own Chandelure a sub and some good prediction will help me against him.

Alrighty, just some minor points, as my knowledge isn't a deep as I'd like it to be. My main point is that Specslure is somewhat meh if you want to reserve him as a spin blocker, as most of the time the likes of Snorlax and Houndoom can just switch in with impunity and Pursuit you off. Accordingly, I would reccomend running something along the lines of a SubCM set, it allows you to have some safety against such Pursuit pokes, and you can actually set up against and beat Chansey, which is just plain fun. Also, Return on Mamo gets literally nothing for you in terms of coverage, I'd just run Ice Shard. Though Scarfed priority does sound dumb at first, you won't be saying the same thing when you can just go and pick of Flygon. Also, I really think that Roserade would be an great addition to your team, as it would just love Toxic Spikes. Have you trieed the specially bulky set? It works wonders
Yes thanks! I've already switched my Chandelure into a Sub +3 attacks set which looking at my team is relatively easy to set-up. I can switch in to a fire or a fighting move pretty easily with good prediction. As for Roserade, I really felt that I didn't need her services and the same still holds true. As you can see, my team isn't particularly a stall team. For Mamoswine's Return, there's actually one thing I'd like to kill with that and that's for any Rotom-H planning to switch in to me predicting an EQ or an Ice Shard. But I like that idea and i'll be sure to test it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)